Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FukushuNL

Another way to experience the heroes of this game

15 comments in this topic

[BODEM]
Players
676 posts
6,346 battles

Just like (I reckon) most of the people in this game I love warships. I think they are the coolest things mankind have build, even if they are build for a bad cause. And as it would be, a company called Wargaming has build this awesome game with one of the most beautifully and detailed models of these historical masterpieces to date. I could say, this game is a virtual museum of all the world's warships pulled together, aptly named World of Warships. 

So I wonder: why is there no "museum" mode? 

I know this is a game where people shoot other people's ships, but if that would be the only fun part of the game, all these forum posts about "your most beautiful ship", "Please put X ship into the game because she looks awesome", "X ship isn't historically accurate", etc and Wargaming returning to older ships because a piece of fence wasn't historically accurate wouldn't exist. So, many of us don't only care about the gameplay, but also about the ships themselves. I do, for one. Therefore, when I'm in port, I dread that I can't get closer to all those beautiful ships because the camera don't let me. I keep on trying to firuge out how big people would be on those decks. I want to stand on the decks of these ship to experience how big these ships were, how they look from down there. To see the harbors from the decks of these warbound vessels. But I can't.

And that while the opportunities are all there: beautiful harbors with a full 360 horizon, extremely detailed ships build to scale and and a library of them to fill a whole sea with. Plus a community that love to look at them (I'm assuming here, my apologies if I'm incorrect on this point). 

A few things I dream about concerning this topic: 

1.To be able to "stand" on the decks of the ships in your port, either being able to teleport to certain specific places, freely teleporting to your own designated spot or maybe even being able to "walk" around the ship where able. Would be even better if as an extra we could stand on the docks themselves to experience their epicness that way.

2. To be able to compare ship sizes by putting them next to eachother in port, maybe with a free camera to check them out from every angle.

3. To be able to spectate ingame from the deck of the ships while they are in action. The "canon" camera angle gives a great view of the action, true, but being able to spectate a battle from on the deck as one of the sailors while seeing the enemy fire hit the water close to the bow or impact on the deck, seeing the massive turrets of Iowa turn overhead to return fire, watch as a DD manouvers it's way along broadside and see the torps deploy and make their way to the ship you are standing on, or stand on the tip of the ship as it clears an island while an enemy Bismarck appears from the other side of the island, guns turned towards you. When will you ever be able to experience something like that? Even something simple of one BB ramming an other while you are on the deck of either one of them would leave me breathless.

Two big exta pros to this is that you don't have to go all over the world to see the still "living" ships and WG has the unique gift to us to be able to board for instance the legendary Yamato, which nobody can board at this very day anymore. To be able to hear seagulls and the virtual wind flows through your hair while you are standing near those huge turrets as you look out over the wooden deck of this naval giant. And she is docked at many of your own ports, ready for that virtual experience. Give you a great extra motivation to get certain ships that are not in your port yet too ;)

Are there more people that dreamt this dream too? Or could dig this as a part of the game?

p.s. for those that played Yamauchi Kazunori-san's ode to the car's Gran Turismo, think a more interactive photo mode. As I think this is Wargaming's ode to the warship. 

• Cool 17

Players
6,452 posts
245 battles

reminds me of eves captain quarters till they took that away due to unpopularity issues.

yes pls.

[CAIN]
Players
4,240 posts
17,380 battles

Well, technically, the Museum mode is called ‚Port‘. :cat_cool:

Modder
4,701 posts
21,668 battles

And it should be offline mod with possibility to look at and sail any ship avaiable in game. That way when game will end his life, something will still remain.

• Cool 6

Players
1,445 posts
17,681 battles

It would be nice if we could get a better look around the ships in port, to WGs credit they do a fantastic job of making the ships look beautiful I love looking at the ships in my port, and whilst I do still adore visiting real museum ships we do have a wider selection available in port. 

• Cool 2

[BODEM]
Players
676 posts
6,346 battles
6 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Well, technically, the Museum mode is called ‚Port‘. :cat_cool:

True, but it's not really very accessible and functional above all as a way to enjoy watching the ships in their full glory :) There's so much more that can be done to give players a more magestic look at these great ships :O

Beta Tester
2,736 posts
6,990 battles

How about.... ok im being me again.... Its just a life improvement idea looking at it, but to have the option in port idk, to swivel the turrets around, to fire a gun if one wishes, stuff in that manner, has nothing to do with gameplay per se but just to enable a skipper to interact with his ship, you know some basic interaction of player with theyr fleet, feel free, no, do add ideas for sutch a concept, thats an order from your captain? :cap_rambo:

(i had many beers again i admit :Smile_veryhappy:

Just my 2 bottle.. errm..... Cents. 

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

Players
2,268 posts
18,111 battles

Nice idea, impossible to execute. The level of detail requiered will take insane amounts of manhours in artwork. The ROI is too small.

[BODEM]
Players
676 posts
6,346 battles
10 hours ago, Major_Damage225 said:

How about.... ok im being me again.... Its just a life improvement idea looking at it, but to have the option in port idk, to swivel the turrets around, to fire a gun if one wishes, stuff in that manner, has nothing to do with gameplay per se but just to enable a skipper to interact with his ship, you know some basic interaction of player with theyr fleet, feel free, no, do add ideas for sutch a concept, thats an order from your captain? :cap_rambo:

(i had many beers again i admit :Smile_veryhappy:

Just my 2 bottle.. errm..... Cents. 

:Smile_honoring:

I like your thinking. Just stuff that doesn't impact the game but gives you time to enjoy the ships outside of the heat of battle. 

4 hours ago, Europizza said:

Nice idea, impossible to execute. The level of detail requiered will take insane amounts of manhours in artwork. The ROI is too small.

Nah, the amount of detail is already good enough BECAUSE of the amount of manhours that have gone in artwork. That's one of the reasons I would appreciate having the modes I discussed in the OP, to show off the detail WG staff has put in these ships that most of the time goes unnoticed becaus A. Everyone is zoomed out and B. Everyone is focussing the rectangle/enemy. It hurts a little when in the patchnotes I read that some small detail on a ship has been fixed to be historically accurate while no-one is ever gonna notice. Port mode is just not flexible enough to show off the ship artists' work imo.

Players
2,268 posts
18,111 battles
15 minutes ago, FukushuNL said:

I like your thinking. Just stuff that doesn't impact the game but gives you time to enjoy the ships outside of the heat of battle. 

Nah, the amount of detail is already good enough BECAUSE of the amount of manhours that have gone in artwork. That's one of the reasons I would appreciate having the modes I discussed in the OP, to show off the detail WG staff has put in these ships that most of the time goes unnoticed becaus A. Everyone is zoomed out and B. Everyone is focussing the rectangle/enemy. It hurts a little when in the patchnotes I read that some small detail on a ship has been fixed to be historically accurate while no-one is ever gonna notice. Port mode is just not flexible enough to show off the ship artists' work imo.

I can assure you that to be able to stand on the ships decks requiers a whole different level of detail. I'm pretty sure the current models and textures are geared towards the optimal balance between visuals and performance and not suitable for any closer inspection.

[BODEM]
Players
676 posts
6,346 battles
37 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I can assure you that to be able to stand on the ships decks requiers a whole different level of detail. I'm pretty sure the current models and textures are geared towards the optimal balance between visuals and performance and not suitable for any closer inspection.

You could be right. I have to wait a few weeks before I can get into the game again, but as this dream has lingered a lot longer for me, I've tried to confirm this point either way with the amount of close up camera I could get with both the port camera angles and the in-battle close up angles. And iirc you can already get quite close to the deck and hull textures, at which they hold up quite well. But, maybe if you get in real FP mode, they might not. Still, it would only be the textures that might be not of the best quality, as the hulll and tiny details are close to flawless. ANd I would be willing to compromise a bit for being able to experience these ships "first hand" :)

Players
9,431 posts
11,039 battles
2 hours ago, Europizza said:

This. One example of what "quality" we can expect when we would go to "first person" Anno 1800 can provide, and that is 2019 release with stellar graphics.

Spoiler

Anno-18002019-7-29-14-2-45.jpg

Anno-18002019-7-29-14-3-8.jpg

As much as I'd love to take a stroll on the ship and maybe even visit interiors, amount of work required for that would be ridiculous to make it look like its not 15 years old

[BODEM]
Players
676 posts
6,346 battles
37 minutes ago, Panocek said:

This. One example of what "quality" we can expect when we would go to "first person" Anno 1800 can provide, and that is 2019 release with stellar graphics.

Hide contents

Anno-18002019-7-29-14-2-45.jpg

Anno-18002019-7-29-14-3-8.jpg

As much as I'd love to take a stroll on the ship and maybe even visit interiors, amount of work required for that would be ridiculous to make it look like its not 15 years old

That really all depends on the graphical fidelity one expects. 

Sign in to follow this