Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Myrmidon19

French DD's - No Smoke

5 comments in this topic

Question

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts

Heard from lots of people running them in random battles that they have no smoke. Is this true? Or just specific to certain ships? I also wonder if they don't have smoke what is their gimmick or advantage over other lines? I've never really used DD's but received the mission for Guepard the T6 DD last night. I'll get it at some point today I guess. Cheers for any insight, more curiosity than anything else.

4 answers to this question

[MORIA]
Players
7,200 posts
33,697 battles

The only French DD that has smoke at this moment is the Aigle. All the French DD techtree and the premium LeTerrible don't have smoke - can't be equipped. 

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts
7 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

The only French DD that has smoke at this moment is the Aigle. All the French DD techtree and the premium LeTerrible don't have smoke - can't be equipped. 

Yeah from what I've read online and on their website (which I had seen before starting this thread by the way) seems to suggest they're basically just very fast and nimble baby light cruisers... There's nothing tied to Guepard so may not even use her beyond a quick test.

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,334 posts
12,806 battles
15 hours ago, Myrmidon19 said:

Heard from lots of people running them in random battles that they have no smoke. Is this true? Or just specific to certain ships? I also wonder if they don't have smoke what is their gimmick or advantage over other lines? I've never really used DD's but received the mission for Guepard the T6 DD last night. I'll get it at some point today I guess. Cheers for any insight, more curiosity than anything else.

They also dont have heal, their advantages for survivability come from their range (which with AFT is 14km at tier 4, 15.7km at tier 7 and 16.3km at t10), their speed (especially with their +20% speed boost, enabling the t8 to reach 55knts and the t10 to reach 57) and their saturation mechanic which is unique among destroyers.

Most destroyers cannot have their midship compartment saturated and always take full damage from penetrating hits to the midship, which counteracts some of the increased survivability DDs enjoy by not having a citadel. French DDs can have this compartment saturated, so once they receive enough damage to the middle of the ship any further damage sustained to that part of the ship will be halved (overpenetrations, fires and flood are not affected and continue to cause their respective damage). Since saturation essentially reduces damage from regular AP and HE penetrations the ability to saturate the middle of the ship will allow FR DDs to survive slightly more damage from these sources than other DDs. For more details on how saturation works as a concept check the wiki article or the included video.

Sign in to follow this