You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Caveh

Returning Player - Advise needed!

3 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
1,415 battles

Greetings, I trust we are all doing well today. I joined the game in 2015, and for about a year played with joy & happiness. I am a Zao main (It used to be classified as heavy cruiser, idk if it's still the same) and just about when I got the Shimakaze I stopped playing. I returned for a little while after they reduced the HP of the Zao, but the tactic of staying out of the radar range of the enemy, while being able to fire at them without them seeing you was still viable. That lasted about 2 weeks before I stopped playing, and I heard that they nerfed the firing range? or buffed the radar range? Something like that, but it was years ago. 

Anywho, I want to return finally. What important changes happened to heavy cruiser playstyle? What is our role in the match now? What does the Zao excel at? Also, is AP & HE the same? Or are there any changes I should know about them? I'll eventually get back into the rhythm of the game, and do my best not to suck but some advise on how I should approach the coming games, what a heavy cruiser is useful for now, and anything extra that might be helpful would be appreciated.

Happy hunting! ^.^

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
16 minutes ago, Caveh said:

[...] the tactic of staying out of the radar range of the enemy, while being able to fire at them without them seeing you was still viable. That lasted about 2 weeks before I stopped playing, and I heard that they nerfed the firing range? or buffed the radar range? Something like that, but it was years ago. 

You probably mean stealthfiring form open water: i.e. your ship concealment after firing your guns being lower than your maximum firingrange, thus allowing you to fire at things unspotted within a certain range window.

That has been done away with, all ships concealment equals their maximum firing range after firing your mainguns now. If you want to fire without being spotted you're going to have to use visual cover (islands, etc.) to break line-of-sight. Technically if you're kiting someone who's sailing at you you can fire from outside your own maximum range (untargeted) and the opponent will eventually sail into range of your shells as they're underway and hit him whilst you're still out of range and thus outside of firing concealment, but that's a fringe situation and not something you'd use with any regularity or even wanted to (due to the dispersion penalty of not being locked onto a target) unless it's somehow imperative for game winning reasons. The gun bloom resets back to normal ship concealment 20 seconds after your last shot.

Also do note that smoke firing has been changed. Ships now have a specific smoke gun bloom. If you're in a smoke, you're still concealed out to assured acquisition range (2km, 3km with the ship module) but once you fire your detection blooms (much like in open water firing) to a set range. Anything with a line-of-sight to you inside that smoke AND within the range of that gun bloom will spot you after you fired (for 20 seconds). Importantly, that works both ways so if you fire from outside of the smoke, if the ship inside the smoke is within your smoke gun bloom range, he will also spot you even though he's in smoke and no one else spotting you. Trigger discipline has become much more important around smokescreens.

Oh, ... and the CV rework. But you're going to have to sit down with popcorn and read through that one yourself.

By the way, your Zao can now mount the 12km torpedoes. You may have lost the abiliy to fire your mainguns from stealth in open waters, but you can torpedo from stealth now, hue hue hue :Smile_trollface:

[SM0KE]
Players
7,547 posts
16,172 battles
38 minutes ago, Caveh said:

some advise on how I should approach the coming games

If you've been out for quite a while, I might suggest knocking the rust off at lower tiers; if you drop straight into T10, you'll have to master everything that's changed in one big lump, whereas starting a bit lower will allow you to assimilate each aspect in turn.

Not strictly game-play, but it might be worth having a look through the various ways that missions and rewards have changed since you last played (anything connected with the 'armory' for example), not to mention the extended campaigns etc. If you have plenty of ships in your port, it might be worth giving the current 'Frenchwhaling' thing a look too - a good way to kick-start coal acquisition.