Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hanse77SWE

Collision avoidance system too sensitive?

21 comments in this topic

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,307 posts
15,713 battles

Played some games the last two days and I have problems with the new collision avoidance system. I steer between two island. I'm in no danger of running aground and suddenly the rudder shifts and now I do run aground!

Also, I use the "step" system for the rudder and when I have full rudder to one side I press the button for the other side twice and the rudder is now centered, or so I thought. Turns out the rudder is now full to the opposite side and I don't notice it untill I run into an island or my guns drifts of target. (This is when I'm close to an island.)

Anyone else had the same problem?

EDIT: The system is turned off in the settings but it does this anyway.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,209 posts
33,824 battles
3 minutes ago, Hanse77SWE said:

Played some games the last two days and I have problems with the new collision avoidance system. I steer between two island. I'm in no danger of running aground and suddenly the rudder shifts and now I do run aground!

Also, I use the "step" system for the rudder and when I have full rudder to one side I press the button for the other side twice and the rudder is now centered, or so I thought. Turns out the rudder is now full to the opposite side and I don't notice it untill I run into an island or my guns drifts of target. (This is when I'm close to an island.)

Just turn it off.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,307 posts
15,713 battles
1 minute ago, MacArthur92 said:

Just turn it off.

It is off.

I'll better put that in the OP.

Beta Tester
205 posts
12,615 battles

This is how carriers feel since 0.8.0.

Also better use a d instead of q e because you tend to forget to remove rudder lock resulting in beach parties. Better and more tuned steering than using steps

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,307 posts
15,713 battles
48 minutes ago, _Kettenbeisser said:

Also better use a d instead of q e because you tend to forget to remove rudder lock resulting in beach parties. Better and more tuned steering than using steps

No, because I don't want to sit and hold down a button for the full time that a ships takes to do a 180. I've played this way for four years and I like it and Im not going to change it.

Also, off topic.

• Cool 2

Players
8,798 posts
8,664 battles

I havent had any problems so far, except that it goes all the time "pling pling pling" when im close to an Island :cap_fainting: So annyoing. ofc i have it turned off too.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,412 posts

I'm not having any issues with it steering all of a sudden (has been disabled since I could turn it off). What does happen, is that it keeps plinging the sound of Q/E rudder settings. Not as annoying as your issue, but annoying nonetheless.

@Crysantos, @MrConway, any chance you couldl pass this along? :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[G-S-W]
Players
437 posts
Vor 16 Minuten, Hanse77SWE sagte:

I also have the problem with 'q' and 'e' used twice doing a hard turn instead of just moving the steering two notches. I don't use collision avoidance and I'm not convinced that system plays a role at all..

• Cool 2

[MORIA]
Players
7,209 posts
33,824 battles
3 hours ago, Bellegar said:

I'm not having any issues with it steering all of a sudden (has been disabled since I could turn it off). What does happen, is that it keeps plinging the sound of Q/E rudder settings. Not as annoying as your issue, but annoying nonetheless.

Well somebody made a thread of jamming rudder. 

[2OP]
Players
6 posts
18,233 battles

Regardless of the collision avoidance feature being disabled in my settings, it still posesses my rudder whenever im in the rough proximity of an island. The system is too sensitive, and also works extremely poorly if you use toggle instead of hold to change your rudder (this makes rudder behave like the throttle, and sticks to whichever degree you leave it at).

I CANNOT UNDERSTATE ENOUGH THAT THIS IS VERY BAD BAD BAD AND I AM VERY ANGRY ANGRY ANGRY.

Please fix this immediately @MrConway @Crysantos.

• Cool 2

[TDOG]
Beta Tester
127 posts
7,047 battles
On 7/26/2019 at 12:42 PM, Bellegar said:

Much the same,
Seems to occur randomly 

[MORIA]
Players
7,209 posts
33,824 battles
13 hours ago, Zeronine said:

Regardless of the collision avoidance feature being disabled in my settings, it still posesses my rudder whenever im in the rough proximity of an island

There's a rudder bug mate. Check 2 posts above :Smile_great:

Probably some hotfix incoming.

Players
46 posts
5,408 battles

Getting the same problems. Glad I'm not the only one and that it's known about by WG.

Another thing I've noticed as well, don't know if you guys are getting it, but often the collision avoidance will steer my ship towards the furthest side of an island I am going to collide with, so if I'm going to collide with the left side of an island it will steer me right.

• Cool 1

[LAZY]
Beta Tester
128 posts
10,632 battles
On 7/26/2019 at 1:27 PM, Hanse77SWE said:

The bold part is an absolutely unnessecary and  very annoying change to a game that had a functional rudder system for over 4 years.

@Crysantos Is this bold change made by a new developer who did not play the game before?  Is this because there are no proper QA procedures for changes to the software ? ). Please revert to the previous system/software for steering the shIp.

If I am full rudder to the right/starboard with 2 clicks of E, I expect one click of Q to get my rudder  one click to the left/port, and two clicks of Q making rudder go to neutral.

Incremental steps is how it was , and how it should be.  One step at the time.  regardless of collision avoidence systems.

If I have full rudder to starboard, there is no reason to put the rudder 3 or 4 incremental steps to full opposite direction without the captains orders/permission.

I hope everyone in this thread made it clear we consider this new rudder behaviour as A BUG.

Who is in control of the ship ? The captains, or Wargaming ?

N.B. to be clear, we are talking about rudder behaviour of all classes of ships.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
37 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

There's a rudder bug mate. Check 2 posts above :Smile_great:

Probably some hotfix incoming.

Hopefully. Tried to play my legandary Des Moines ... couldn't control my ship because the rudder bug completely threw a wench into any attempt to manouver near the island.

Had another instance where trying to sail through a couple island got real funny.

This is severely gameplay effecting and MUST be fixed ASAP. If need be, just roll back the auto-pilot/collision avoidance "improvement" entirely until they can figure out exactly what causes the problem.

• Cool 3

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,412 posts

The problem is really weird though.

I mean, I'm not saying you're all liars of course, but I have none of the issues you all talk about :Smile_unsure:

The only thing I get is the noises of the rudder when I'm near islands. I sailed my Scharnhorst through a very small gap between two islands, but the autopilot did nothing. Only thing it did was it kept clonking. Sounded like it wanted to act, but it didn't, it only made the sounds like it did. I checked, because I didn't trust is.

I also don't get the "rudder turns to complete opposite instead of neutral" feature upon using Q/E, but granted, I did not test that close to islands...

I have collision avoidance in off btw, but from what I understand some people that have it in off do get the unwanted rudder movements :cap_hmm:

But yeah, something is definately wrong after the update, so I think a rollback would be best when a quick hotfix is impossible.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
15 minutes ago, Bellegar said:

I have collision avoidance in off btw, but from what I understand some people that have it in off do get the unwanted rudder movements :cap_hmm:

To clarify, it's not involuntary rudder movement (as in the game suddenly changes course without player input), it's the inability to set rudder to neutral using the Q/E rudder keys as the game will instead go full rudder rather than neutral. In short it basically becomes impossible to control your ship with Q/E. A/D seems to work, or at least I can set the rudder to neutral (as the rudder always defaults back to neutral after using A or D to steer).

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,412 posts
23 hours ago, Aotearas said:

To clarify, it's not involuntary rudder movement (as in the game suddenly changes course without player input), it's the inability to set rudder to neutral using the Q/E rudder keys as the game will instead go full rudder rather than neutral. In short it basically becomes impossible to control your ship with Q/E. A/D seems to work, or at least I can set the rudder to neutral (as the rudder always defaults back to neutral after using A or D to steer).

Ohhhhh sorry, then I misunderstood. I thought you (and/or other people) meant that IN ADDITION TO THAT you also got the autopilot engaging when it should be turned off.

The heat is affecting my reading capabilities lol :cap_book:

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,287 posts
13,818 battles

Hey guys,

Thanks for reporting it, we're investigating it. In such cases please provide us with a replay & WGCheck in a customer support ticket, so we have it in the system and Devs can look immediately into related files to help them track down the issue.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this