Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
You_Overextended

A few thoughts on this French DD event

68 comments in this topic

Players
330 posts
8,830 battles

I don't normally write about events, but I felt the need to share a few thoughts as a player that's been in the game since December last year (so not a long time). Compared to the previous event, I consider the French DD early access event to be the most satisfying and rewarding that WG has done in my history in this game, for a few reasons:

- The French DDs are a high-skill-floor, but generally balanced line of ships in my little experience both playing them and playing against them. I however do feel that the lower-tier ships have, ironically, a higher skill floor than the higher tier ones. Maybe some adjustments could be made in that regard? Though I really wouldn't say the power gap is so vast, sincerely.

- The event itself.... It's modeled after the snowflake event, save for the fact that you can't wallet-warrior your way into steel. That, imo, is a great model! The previous event was exhausting, forcing us into a game mode that got boring quickly (though I did have my fun in it, frankly) and making it so that missing *one* day of daily missions is almost a catastrophe if you want to get the Benham. This one actually gave me genuine joy, exploring ships I had previously abandoned back when I was a 46% WR, 480 PR potato. I'm finding new enjoyment in this game that I had previously not even considered exploring, and it's all because of the rewards system that this particular event has. I got to re-visit ships from back when I didn't even know what a Confederate achievement was, and actually get Confederates in them.

- All while doing all this nostalgic exploration and opening myself once again to lines I haven't really considered doing, I'm getting stuff! I don't know how lucky I was, but I got both the Guepard and the Jaguar. Then there's the coal-rich rewards system that will help me purchase the engine boost modification I will ultimately put on my favorite Frenchy! A tiny bit of financial help, and I even got the Vanquelin mission! The satisfaction of all of this cannot be overstated.

WG, I can't believe I'm saying this, but you've done right (at least by me) in this event! It's even getting our clan super active! We're even hyped up for the T8 clan battles (another thing I absolutely love!!!!!!) and ranked (save for the dreaded matches that will be epicenter lol).

Can't wait to take out my Jutland, my Alaska, my Cossack, and my Lightning. I hope many of us can agree that this little direction that WG took is a fantastic one.

• Cool 18

[PANEU]
Players
1,396 posts
12,987 battles

In general events that are not constrained in narrow time frame and require player to just play what is in port will be well received. 

There is another similarity with Christmas event and that is on the last directive where one particular ship ( in current case - early access ships can complete multiple mission simultaneously) 

Which is also quite fair... If you are a veteran with many tech trees, you can do it for free with slightly more time. But if you have just few nations - you just buy particular ship and can finish it also. 

I would like to see WG use these directives for old tech trees in a similar way they introduce new arks.

Example: an IJN dd focused directives that required playing tiers 5-6 for 1st directive, 5-8 for 2nd,  5-9 for 3rd and 5+ for last. 

These may be used as a tool to bring older players to revisit old branches and made old branches more popular for the new players. 

• Cool 7

[PHL]
Beta Tester
278 posts
13,856 battles
1 hour ago, You_Overextended said:

[...]

Simply said, no.

While I enjoy generally the Event to gain tokens, the current Event is quite one over the top.

It's hidden not only behind a massive pay-wall, but a massive rng-pay-wall. First, you (or the majority, as only few People will have enough premiums to generate all 1400 Tokens) have to buy Containers, hoping for some DDs to get 250 extra Tokens. Then, if you have the Tokens, you have to spend something between 1.000 (haha) and 30.000 Gold to get the advertised T9. 

It's also quite cheap from WG (and thats the only cheap item in Connection with WG, har-har) not to include the older French Premium DDs in the Directives for the T5. Not necessarily in the same mission as the new Tree-DD, but they could have introduced a separate mission in each directive for Aigle and Terrible. 

Also, this time they gave no incentive to buy Cyclone in advance. No Mission (beside one in last directive) supports Cyclone.

So, while such snowflake-events are nice to play older/lower tier ships, the current event is only a prime example of bad decisions and not-motivating components.

Personally, I liked the Approach of the UK-CV Event more. Earn Tokens, buy bundles which include silver ships (without rng). For top bundles you have to pay, o.k., but something like tokens per Container, which made the expence calculable.  

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
650 posts

i wont bother with these tokens - i have crap load of prems (far too many tbh) and t6+ ships and im still at ~1200 tokens according to some smart web site. so, why bother with generating to yourself option to buy a lottery ticket ...

[JRM]
Players
5,544 posts
22,760 battles

Wait do ALL prems earn tokens or only the french?

[JRM]
Players
5,544 posts
22,760 battles

Ah well then i guess im getting all if them that i need easy

Players
2,267 posts
18,111 battles

I havent even read the event this time.

I am actually tired of this developer creating overcomplicated events designed to shaft players into either spending too much time in badly designed modes, or shaft them by willingly designing grinds so people are lured into a horrible and predatory schemes of gambling addictions, greed or fear of losing out. WG is turning into EA 2.0.

I am a long time customer, having enjoyed the game and spending plenty for years, signaling WG that they are losing long time paying customers. Its fine, I can play fine without paying for your game. Not sure if you can sustain your businuss without people like me spending.

Create value, not predatory schemes, and I will happily spend money on your product.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[PANEU]
Players
1,396 posts
12,987 battles

@Europizza actually the event is quite simple.

You have directives. And you have symbols which gives coal or tokens.  You can get both missions and symbols playing whatever mode you like (cb are excluded I think) 

There is external link which can tell you how much tokens and coal you can get based on your port asset. 

The complicated part is the special  section in the armory... My advice just spend tokens there on whatever you want. 

P. S. I find killing bots in co-op or Raptor's rescue quite relaxing. Press wwwww, shot at some stuff... I had a fair slap in the face from a the random battles' MM yesterday on the patch day

Beta Tester
1,890 posts
12,724 battles
22 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I havent even read the event this time.

I am actually tired of this developer creating overcomplicated events designed to shaft players into either spending too much time in badly designed modes, or shaft them by willingly designing grinds so people are lured into a horrible and predatory schemes of gambling addictions, greed or fear of losing out. WG is turning into EA 2.0.

I am a long time customer, having enjoyed the game and spending plenty for years, signaling WG that they are losing long time paying customers. Its fine, I can play fine without paying for your game. Not sure if you can sustain your businuss without people like me spending.

Create value, not predatory schemes, and I will happily spend money on your product.

While the "rules" do seem somewhat overcomplicated, in practice it's just a case of "play the game as you normally would". Rewards will come to you as you do so.

If you are stressing over the need to get tech tree ships a little early then I can see why you would think it is a cash grab but for those of us who think that any tech tree ships we happen to get as a result are just a nice bonus it's just a nice distraction.

• Cool 2

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
926 posts

I just started with my tier 10s. Then I'll go down the tiers at my own pace I might add.

As a person living in the wettest part of Norway, and we just got hit by the heatwave, I need to mix my gaming(out of the sun and cooling off period) with painting my house, drinking my beer (that is deadly serious bissniss).

So this event will be as it will. But it doesn't feel like a grindfest, for me that is.....I'm in no need for anything.

• Cool 3

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
372 posts
18,257 battles
10 minutes ago, SirAmra said:

...drinking my beer (that is deadly serious bissniss).

Doing the same in Prague bro :), hot weather (36°C today) is very good reason for visiting some new local  microbreweries and brewpubs :), So... Skål !!!!

65141419_2639012256127586_473335834452426752_n.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
926 posts
1 minute ago, Max_Kammerer said:

Doing the same in Prague bro :), hot weather (36°C today) is very good reason for visiting some new Alcorl microbreweries and brewpubs :), So... Skål !!!!

The same, mate. The same.

Having a cool 4 degree pilsner in my glass. Will have some IPA later on.

I'm sweating just sitting down. Lol

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,890 posts
12,724 battles
11 minutes ago, Max_Kammerer said:

Doing the same in Prague bro :), hot weather (36°C today) is very good reason for visiting some new local  microbreweries and brewpubs :), So... Skål !!!!

65141419_2639012256127586_473335834452426752_n.jpg

8 minutes ago, SirAmra said:

The same, mate. The same.

Having a cool 4 degree pilsner in my glass. Will have some IPA later on.

I'm sweating just sitting down. Lol

Right, that's quite enough of that. Stop it, you two, you are making me thirsty.

Worse still I have a load in my fridge but the missus would have my nuts for earrings if I started on them before she got home.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Players
2,267 posts
18,111 battles

While I do appreciate the helpful comments guys, seeing a constant stream of loot boxes and 'early access' bs endlessly incorporated in every event, coupled with some weird inexplicable 30 x 1000 gold buy-in predatory design is so off putting to me that I feel disgusted by it, and no longer want to support a company that creates 'value' like this. To me it has no entertainment value what so ever, and I pay to be entertained, not to soothe addiction or fear of losing out. I always vote with my wallet, and my vote of NO keeps getting stronger with every event. The horrible grind, the crap summer sale, made me so disinterested that I'm not even going to bother reading this one.

As for incentives, I really don't care about the early access bait, never did anywhere so it's not about being stressed or worried. It's about becoming numb and fatigued by the endless stream of horseshit, being covered up by a thousand words. The more people talk, the bigger the pile of crap they are trying to cover up.

I'm good though, I'll spend money on other stuff I enjoy like my guitars, my art or doing fun stuff with the mrs. I just think WG should be worried about the rabbit hole they seem to be fixated on.

• Cool 10
  • Bad 1

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
926 posts
11 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

Right, that's quite enough of that. Stop it, you two, you are making me thirsty.

Worse still I have a load in my fridge but the missus would have my nuts for earrings if I started on them before she got home.

20190726_153959.jpg

20190726_120435.jpg

20190726_144045.jpg

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
1,890 posts
12,724 battles
2 minutes ago, Europizza said:

While I do appreciate the helpful comments guys, seeing a constant stream of loot boxes and 'early access' bs endlessly incorporated in every event, coupled with some weird inexplicable 30 x 1000 gold buy-in predatory design is so off putting to me that I feel disgusted by it, and no longer want to support a company that creates 'value' like this. To me it has no entertainment value what so ever, and I pay to be entertained, not to soothe addiction or fear of losing out. I always vote with my wallet, and my vote of NO keeps getting stronger with every event. The horrible grind, the crap summer sale, made me so disinterested that I'm not even going to bother reading this one.

As for incentives, I really don't care about the early access bait, never did anywhere so it's not about being stressed or worried. It's about becoming numb and fatigued by the endless stream of horseshit, being covered up by a thousand words. The more people talk, the bigger the pile of crap they are trying to cover up.

I'm good though, I'll spend money on other stuff I enjoy like my guitars, my art or doing fun stuff with the mrs. I just think WG should be worried about the rabbit hope they seem to be fixated on.

Fair enough, I can fully understand where you are coming from. It's awful but this is the world we now live in.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
926 posts
Just now, xxNihilanxx said:

Go phuq yourself.... I can go off people, you know.

Hahahaha.

• Cool 2

[PASOK]
Players
119 posts
505 battles

I parked my earned French DD in the port, have more serious job to do than playing battles. STIN YGEIA MAS  (cheers)

464578-peiratikh_exodos600_159384_QLYN23.jpg

• Cool 3

[BAD-A]
Players
638 posts
8,945 battles
3 hours ago, Europizza said:

I'm good though, I'll spend money on other stuff I enjoy like my guitars, my art or doing fun stuff with the mrs. I just think WG should be worried about the rabbit hole they seem to be fixated on.

That's a fair point, and I'm not going to be suckered in by that.  But the tokens to get perma camo for the T5 - 8 is a good thing, and if you happen to get a DD from the free containers (I got the mission for the T5) so much the better.  It's a "fun" & well designed event (so far that I've seen) where you can ignore the predatory paid for aspect quite easily.

• Cool 1

Modder
4,701 posts
21,668 battles

Event is painfull and for some without any real prizes.

1. Painfull when doing it in coop games, becouse I have camo&flags&consumables on every ship, and we have not still any UI improvement to load/unload it in one click. So it's a nigtmare, to do about 40 mouse clicks to play a naked ship and make it dressed again.

2.  Fancy perma camos are useless, when you are blocking them all in menu ...

Players
1,551 posts
1 minute ago, Odo_Toothless said:

Event is painfull and for some without any real prizes.

1. Painfull when doing it in coop games, becouse I have camo&flags&consumables on every ship, and we have not still any UI improvement to load/unload it in one click. So it's a nigtmare.

2.  Fancy perma camos are useless, when you are blocking them all in menu ...

Forgive me for asking, but would you not do the job quicker in Random ?

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles
5 hours ago, ApocalypseMeeow said:

While I enjoy generally the Event to gain tokens, the current Event is quite one over the top.

It's hidden not only behind a massive pay-wall, but a massive rng-pay-wall.

It is, only if you want it.

I will not spend a single cent for this event. Still, I already got the 2 first bundles thanks to the tokens I earned, and got the tier 5 French destroyer in the free containers I got after completing the 1st directive.

I don't care about having the Mogador in advance, so I won't pay.

I have enough ships to get 3 out of 4 bundles. If I'm lucky and unlock also the tier 6 or 7 DD with free containers I might even get the 4 bundles.  

In addition, the snowflake thing gives me even more coal.

So to conclude I disagree with you. Nothing prevents you from earning quite a lot of things by just playing and not paying for rng crates.

So I second OP here, this event is quite good imo.

Sign in to follow this