Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cluid

wrong place at the wrong time - always

23 comments in this topic

Players
35 posts
278 battles

Good morning guys, I hope this post finds you all well and good.

I'm not a complete noob but I'm certainly not the best out there as I can only play at times when RL is not kicking in, I've set myself a goal to unlock all the Japenese Cruisers then move on to another nation at a later date when I get the time.

it does not matter whether I'm playing tier 1 or tier 6 (my highest at the moment) I cannot get my positioning right, I always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get wiped in a matter of mins by the other players, I've tried hanging back, I've tried turning around and following other ships to see how they tackle things but nothing seems to work for me, I'm useless, unless of course, I am reading into this to much, I've been watching a guy called IChase on YT and he seems to get hundreds of thousands of tonnes every single game, I've tried using his tactics but can't seem to get it right, not sure what to do.

thanks in advance for any help and advice

• Cool 2

Players
2,683 posts

Try co op to hone yr tactics and learn the maps as they are repeated and you will soon find the spots in each. Cruisers are a pain for me too but positioning is a matter of learning the terrain best and yr ship. Also pick a ship you like and play it a lot until you can master it.  You will always get blapped at some point, no matter how good you play they are vulnerable ships. Yubari is a good ship btw :) And repetitions. Also its good to know yr opponents at start of game, their ships i mean as not everyone perform same way and they have vulnerabilities. Good luck and I'm sure some other more talented cruiser gurus will pop and give their advice or not haha :Smile_child:

Players
8,799 posts
8,664 battles

Hard to say just like that.

Can you upload a replay or 2 so we can give you better advice? Then we can tell you the moment you made a mistake.

In general for Cruisers: Dont show broadside. This will get you deleted very fast. For Japanese Cruisers, stay at longer ranges, and turn before you are spotted.

• Cool 5

Players
2,310 posts

In my opinion you just need to be patient and give yourself more time.

I still was oblivious to many things with 2k battles under my belt and even now derp from time to time.

Just remember to stay with one class of the ships for a while to get a good hold of how it plays.

Then switch to others to learn of pros and cons of playing those.

You will learn with time.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles

This is part of gitting good - positioning is the most important part in WoWS, next is maybe gunnery/ammo choice.

Recognition is the first step of improvement.

• Cool 1

[TAYTO]
Players
683 posts
8,263 battles

All great pieces of advice.

Eventually you will learn the tempo, when to go fast when to go slow, when to stop, when to turn around, when to speed up again and how to angle your ship, when to turn, when to turn back and kite, when to push, when to change ammo type, etc.

It sounds like a lot but it's just like dancing. And is not related to winning or losing, you can be very good and still lose the match. So take that put of the equation.

The only way is to do as you have been doing, playing and playing and playing, making mistakes and learning from them. And watching other people play as well.

I still remember when I first got my new shiny Pensacola. I got erased on the first battle without being able to shoot once. It will happen, and the good news is that you will learn and improve.

• Cool 1

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,307 posts
15,713 battles

My advice to newish players is to play all the T1s, then all the T2s and so on. You'll learn the maps, you'll learn the ships, you'll learn everything. Don't go straight for T10. You'll only make it worse for yourself that way.

• Cool 1

Players
395 posts
1,295 battles

2nd the comment about co-op, a very very good place to learn ship handling and especially how sneaky destroyers are.

And 2ndly keep an eye on your mini-map and that dotted circle, if the red ships are outside that they cannot see you and are relying on another of their team to spot you.

At the lower tiers don't expect BBs to behave as they should either, they will sail behind you right until someone spots the other team then they run behind the nearest island or run for the map edge farthest away.

oh and the bots on the other team will often be better than real players at the lower tiers........

Doing it wrong is a great teacher provided you learn.

Weekend Tester
997 posts
5,665 battles

Ignore advices about coop, it will teach you stupid things like you can get away with yoloing a BB and stuff like that. 

At the beginning don't worry about your positioning, learn angling and shooting first (you have very low hit%, especially for IJN CAs). Abuse your better camo and shoot at distracted people. Don't spend too much time zoomed in, look around and at the minimap between every shot. Buy priority target as your first skill, that's probably the most important skill for cruiser players.

You shouldn't worry about youtubers much at this point, they are mostly garbage and until you have enough personal experience to realize where they are wrong, you are just gimping yourself.

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
710 posts
11,585 battles

I can assure OP that even I have quite a few games in this game I am garbage CA player.

I love to overcommit and I do not see it until it is to late.

Would advice as others said, looking at minimap and having an escape policy when things become nasty.

I am looking at minimap a good minute too late :(

[R_N_G]
Players
30 posts
10,643 battles
2 hours ago, Cluid said:

...  I've set myself a goal to unlock all the Japenese Cruisers then move on to another nation at a later date when I get the time..

Pls., don't do that.

There's no "endgame" to be reached, but there is much to be learned at every tier.

You can't do that by playing only 1 ship for ... 10-50 battles and then moving up to the next tier.

2 hours ago, lossi_2018 said:

Try co op to hone yr tactics ...

OMG, no, DO NOT DO THAT!

Coop teaches you not only nothing about what human adversaries do with their ships (and what is successful, and what is not), it will teach you lots of bad habits instead which only work in Coop because the standard coops bots are primitive and stupid. (WG does have better ones, but players start to complain if they use them e.g. in weekly missions)

1 hour ago, Skyllon said:

Just remember to stay with one class of the ships for a while to get a good hold of how it plays.

Then switch to others to learn of pros and cons of playing those.

Oh no, pls don't do that either.

You might learn much about that class, but you are missing out the knowledge about the other classes. Knowledge and experience that you need to fight them at higher tiers.

If you only play cruisers, you'll have a hard time to understand what the strenghts, weeknesses and limitations of the other classes are.

(although you may leave out CVs, those are st00pid, boring and detrimental to good gameplay. Stay away from them!)

Best thing to do is to play "horizontally", trying out every ship line, then at T5 start concentrating on the lines you like the best (most likely those you can figure out easiest, as well), then play those up to T8 "evenly".

After that, specalise further to get your first T10 ships.

Then go back and play through the lines you abandoned around T5. You should be around 3500-4000 battles and 56% WR at that point.

• Cool 2

Players
1,551 posts
1 hour ago, Cluid said:

Good morning guys, I hope this post finds you all well and good.

I'm not a complete noob but I'm certainly not the best out there as I can only play at times when RL is not kicking in, I've set myself a goal to unlock all the Japenese Cruisers then move on to another nation at a later date when I get the time.

it does not matter whether I'm playing tier 1 or tier 6 (my highest at the moment) I cannot get my positioning right, I always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get wiped in a matter of mins by the other players, I've tried hanging back, I've tried turning around and following other ships to see how they tackle things but nothing seems to work for me, I'm useless, unless of course, I am reading into this to much, I've been watching a guy called IChase on YT and he seems to get hundreds of thousands of tonnes every single game, I've tried using his tactics but can't seem to get it right, not sure what to do.

thanks in advance for any help and advice

Highly Recommended set of wows lessons 

Good Luck

OBTW, Co-Op IMHO is / will be " Counter Productive "  unless you need a legendary module, and you need to grind quick on 1 thing  

Edited by Mr_Smasher
add on comment

[LEEUW]
Players
1,996 posts
9,856 battles

Always plan ahead. "How am I going to get out of this position I am sailing towards? What if an enemy pops up right now? Can I turn away here?"

Imagine, by looking at the team lineups, which ships you might encounter. This way you can prepare your ships position to either take cover or to make your way out of there.

When I started playing I constantly got surprised but nowadays I can predict most things that happen in a match. Comes with experience.

• Cool 4

Players
2,268 posts
18,111 battles

My advise is to start playing more classes of different Nations and spend more time in the tier you are in. Focusing on 1 sub tree will progress you too quickly to consecutive tiers, and you won't learn to understand how BB or DD so easily counter you. Also cruisers are the most vulnerable ships out there prone to deletion because of the combination of average concealment and low armor.

Play the ship trees more horizotal, less vertical.

@GarrusBrutus has the best possible tip for you to git gud. Before committing to an action be sure you have an escape route readily available so when S hits he F you can disengage without giving it a second thought.

• Cool 3

[JRM]
Players
5,544 posts
22,760 battles

@OP You have a small number of battles so dont worry too much, in general with CAs you want to pick your fights, dont rush in, stay a bit behind dds and even other cruisers untill you get a hang of things, try not to have an enemy ship inside your "cold" detection range so you can dissapear into stealth if you get focused, dont open fire and then turn while detected by gun bloom or you will eat cits, ideally you shoud be angeled away from your target and play with angle and speed to bounce and dodge incoming shells as much as possible aoba and furutaka are less ideally suited for this couse of the way turrets are placed then some higher tier IJN CAs and you will see that it gets even more effective a tactic T7 and upwards but even they can do it

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

Make your map as big as possible and follow the macro of the battle from that and perform the micro of the battle from the main view. It means looking at the map often, not just when you've finished shooting at another ship.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,688 posts
15,946 battles
2 hours ago, Skyllon said:

Imo a new player should try to pay every class (at least up to T4) to start to understand the strengths and weaknesses between classes.

Players
2,683 posts
1 hour ago, Utlieov said:

OMG, no, DO NOT DO THAT!

Coop teaches you not only nothing about what human adversaries do with their ships (and what is successful, and what is not), it will teach you lots of bad habits instead which only work in Coop because the standard coops bots are primitive and stupid. (WG does have better ones, but players start to complain if they use them e.g. in weekly missions)

I dont disagree. But, co op helps learning the ship and the maps, a happy go lucky player won't have the time to see anything in random as he will be deleted fast. You can't throw everyone in the wolves to learn, they might but they could also get frustrated (by not playing) and give up. I wasn't suggesting him staying in co op forever, perhaps i didn't word it correctly.

• Cool 2

[BBMM]
Players
5,554 posts
6,741 battles
1 hour ago, lossi_2018 said:

I dont disagree. But, co op helps learning the ship and the maps, a happy go lucky player won't have the time to see anything in random as he will be deleted fast. You can't throw everyone in the wolves to learn, they might but they could also get frustrated (by not playing) and give up. I wasn't suggesting him staying in co op forever, perhaps i didn't word it correctly.

You know what the most fun is... :Smile_trollface:

When you have played only randoms, and some CB, and you have TX - and then (for an event) you play co-op... 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA maaaannnnnn the stuff you see there... :Smile_veryhappy:

[TAYTO]
Players
683 posts
8,263 battles

Co-Op will give you a feeling of the ship, how it moves and shoots and uses the different consumables, when it can be seen, etc.

[LAZY]
Beta Tester
128 posts
10,634 battles

If you have only 277 battles in this game, there is absolutely nothing wrong to spend a lot of your time in co-op the next 500 battles, because:

1. relaxed way getting to know the strongs and weakenesses of any new ship

2. easier to get a grip on positioning with only 8 opponents instead of 12 in random

3. you wont be farmed as cannonfodder by players with elite ships with all modules and upgrades/equipment plus 19 skill captains

4. the :bots: always fire accurately, and use focusfire  , although their tactics are  easily reconized.

5. you can observe the different ways cruisers, DDs, Battleships are played, and practice your aiming

Of course it helps to play random battles also.

• Cool 1

Players
495 posts
11,582 battles

Hello shipmate @Cluid first of all, cheers for that, yes remarkably thankyou, it's a bit hot but only a Brit could moan about that sh*t.

Yeah well you don't have a lot of games under your belt unless you've rerolled :etc_red_button:  :Smile_popcorn:

Otherwise, most of us were the same, it comes with experience and thinking rather than acting, if you get my drift.  Take a look at lots of Youtubers, some are good, some aren't, make your own mind up when you try their tactics and you run out of talent.  I can remember calling out to my wife, 'What the f*ck is happening? Why did that happen? Where did he come from? Fecking torps!, How did I miss that boat' and loads more during the first year of playing, I bet there are guys and girls playing that have had the same experience.  Keep going, keep learning, if you don't have Dunning Kruger Syndrome you'll be fine, Darwins Law won't effect you like some players of the game, they'll never learn sod all.

Good luck Captain, you'll need it :cap_old:

Sign in to follow this