Vilodrom

Charles Martel - HE or AP

9 comments in this topic

[SM0KE]
Players
81 posts
1,662 battles

So I’m a french cruiser player now and I’m really starting to get the hang of the ships, I’m on charles martel and apart from getting citadeled from the front side and back things are going pretty smoothly. One question though, should my primary loaded ammo be HE or AP? At the moment i almost always use HE apart from when i see a broadsiding cruiser *cronch*

is that a mistake? Should i use AP more?

Also, if anyone has any other tips for charles (or french cruisers in general) please let me know!

On the tech tree main page it says the t9 is 168k, but when i click on the ship and go to the tab to see how much i still need it says i need 208k exp or something like that, is it supposed to be that because i dont wanna waste 30k exp... the t10 is 238k and having only 30k between 9 & 10 seemed sus...

Players
2,109 posts
18,662 battles

Heavy cruiser AP can always be used to good effect on any broadsiding battleship as well. At least at medium to close range. Just aim slightly above the thick armour belt, which you're not going to penetrate. Hits slightly above that though will yield a lot more damage than HE if they penetrate. The other day I got two cits into an NC with my Molotov, whose caliber is even a bit smaller at 180 mm (although very high velocity).

When in doubt, just try it in a training room to get a feel for the angles and distances.

[SM0KE]
Players
81 posts
1,662 battles

Ok thanks, I just saw a video where it said that charles had a low dmg HE and that the AP was a lot better

Max HE is 2800

Max AP is 4800

[PUPSI]
Players
134 posts
8,441 battles

AP have higher max damage on all ships.

Reason to use HE is secondary damage (fire) or on soft targets (dd) to avoid overpens.

CM is a good fire starter therefore i would advise to use HE until you start perma fire (force enemy to use repair) than switch to AP.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,002 posts
7,981 battles
10 hours ago, Vilodrom said:

On the tech tree main page it says the t9 is 168k, but when i click on the ship and go to the tab to see how much i still need it says i need 208k exp or something like that, is it supposed to be that because i dont wanna waste 30k exp... the t10 is 238k and having only 30k between 9 & 10 seemed sus...

That is because the 168k XP is just for the ship itself, where as the 208k is with the remaining upgrades on the Charles Martel. So you don't need to be afriad of "wasting" XP, it's all calculated into the grind.

As for ammo usage, apart from what have already been said a good rule of thumb is this: Long range and bow in targets, use HE. Closer ranges <15 km and your tagets give you a lot of broadside use AP almost regardless of target (however if you start to bounce and shatter just switch to HE). A combo of ammo is always better than sticking to purely 1 type especially in a cruiser.

[TAYTO]
Players
681 posts
8,230 battles

With the French cruisers I always had the feeling that is HE and then switch AP when the angle of attack demands and in practice it works very well. They carry a punch and shoot a lot.

Players
74 posts
10,118 battles

Enemy ships  (cruisers) are angled straight to you HE, Angled from the side, HP.  Destroyers always HE and BB's are a different matter, that depends on the armor.

My 2 cents on the matter.

Players
6,426 posts
245 battles

AP on mid-close range BB's broadsiding.

AP on any cruiser broadsiding or over angling.

AP on broadsiding CV. Switch if against armoured CV's like midway, lexi or i think the british CV's. And they are having minimal effect.

HE on everything else.