You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Procrastes

On sunsets, dolphins and giant squid

22 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
3,080 posts
3,479 battles

My loyal wife, who has spent a lot of hours studying the World of Warships from over my shoulder, has suggested that the game could benefit from having more sunsets, dolphins and giant squid in it.

This has put me, as a loyal husband, in a somewhat awkward position. How shall I respond to this thoughtful advice, while still maintaining my forum rep (as it were) intact?

Let me begin by stating that a conscientious virtual sea captain should, in certain areas, keep a firm and manly stand against the dangers of kitsch. The ironclad integrity and flavour of the game must be maintained. Once you walk down the Path of Cute, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Having said that, I do feel that an overly rigid position on this matter might prove difficult to defend. It would be possible, for instance, to take some of those excellent recruitment posters that were produced by gifted community members in that inspired competition a while back, as evidence that certain softer - albeit suitably square-jawed - aesthetics have already entered into the game environment. It could also be pointed out that we have at least one cyber dolphin as a special Halloween commander. Furthermore, I have myself held up the newly added day cycle in the port of Hamburg as an example of the laudable care that is given to the purely visual aspect of the game. And as for giant squid, it was no more than three years ago when I suggested - in a post on this very forum - that at least some of those aeroplanes and camps found around the Polar map could very well belong to the disastrous 1930 Pabodie Expedition to Antarctica, that was led by professor Pabodie of the Miskatonic University. If this is so, we have an established connection to giant squid already in the game. Needless to say, we also have the various Halloween scenarios, who maintain a delightful Mythos/Steampunk-inspired design  that is all their own.

How can these sorts of eldritch elements go together with such softer aesthetics as sunsets and dolphins, you may ask?

The answer, as good fortune would have it, is "very well". While I am regrettably lacking in artistic talent myself, there are others who know no such limitations. I shall leave a modest example of what I am referring to in the little spoiler caption below, as inspiration and food for further thoughts.

With this, I consider my duties as a husband loyally fulfilled, without having compromised my gamer's honour in the bargain.

Well met on the High Seas!

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 11

[-NFG-]
Players
211 posts
7,595 battles

The giant squid could perhaps be on the North map, past the no BB sign.  They would only appear to devour any BBs that go there

• Cool 5
  • Funny 4

Players
9,377 posts
11,000 battles

Correct me if I'm wrong... but weren't some sort of squid, whale or whathaveyou present in depths during Halloween submarine test drive?

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,796 posts
6,612 battles

You will need to wait for the introduction of submarines for the giant squids....

image.png.a50e14d9241a805d3f0889b88fb91a3c.pngimage.png.d70791b25af04ea990c4e03bd3c59929.pngimage.png.67792655f8c4144ba313f1aead5ed68b.png

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[NWP]
Players
1,182 posts
9,071 battles
3 hours ago, Procrastes said:

keep a firm and manly stand

Dear Friend,

there is nothing more manly than enjoying your whiskey (I will enjoy my smoke as well) gazing at the sun set behind the horizon in the company of dolphins playfully teasing the bow of your ship.

As far as the giant squid is concerned

23 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Borderhump for to long and you get mounted by a kraken

This

All manly and firm.

With firm manly salutations

Saltface

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
4,870 posts
11,903 battles
5 hours ago, Procrastes said:

the game could benefit from having more <snip> giant squid in it.

Absolutely! That is indubitably what I'm talking about (as I'm assured the Young People say)!

Colossal Squid too, I hope?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,840 posts
10,502 battles

As long as I don't see this guys I'm down with it....

spongebob-squarepants-squidward.jpg?w=90

• Funny 2

[COR3]
Players
1,318 posts
12,738 battles
9 hours ago, Procrastes said:

With this, I consider my duties as a husband loyally fulfilled, without having compromised my gamer's honour in the bargain.

Well met on the High Seas!

I recognize you as a Loyal Husband and Fullfiller of Duties. Praised be your Vailaint Efford of upholding the Code of Gaming while beeing Faithfull to your Wife and Master....

We stand in awe.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
3,080 posts
3,479 battles
8 hours ago, Saltface said:

Dear Friend,

there is nothing more manly than enjoying your whiskey (I will enjoy my smoke as well) gazing at the sun set behind the horizon in the company of dolphins playfully teasing the bow of your ship.

With firm manly salutations

Saltface

I conclude from your post, good Sir, that you are residing on board your own ship.

From the sweltering confines of my rooftop office, where temperature has already - at 09:23 a.m. - risen to 30 degrees centigrade, I can only applaud your priorities.

Equally firm salutations!

5 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Colossal Squid too, I hope?

In a game such as this, can there be any other kind?

• Cool 1

[AMOK]
Players
1,913 posts
8,344 battles
Vor 3 Stunden, nambr9 sagte:

As long as I don't see this guys I'm down with it....

spongebob-squarepants-squidward.jpg?w=90

giphy.gif

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
3,080 posts
3,479 battles
4 hours ago, Excavatus said:

Topic moved into offtopic section

Much obliged, Sir! I posted my thread late last night and somewhat on the fly; I should have given more thought to where I put it. :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
4,870 posts
11,903 battles
4 hours ago, Procrastes said:

In a game such as this, can there be any other kind?

Well, I'm quietly hoping that the marine biologists discover a new species at some point: after Giant Squid and Colossal Squid, one wonders what manner of name they'll go with next.

I'm hoping for the F*ck Me, That's Enormous Squid or similar...

References for fans of massive molluscs:

Giant Squid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_squid

Colossal Squid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_squid

• Cool 1

[ARGUS]
Players
3,288 posts
7,606 battles

Dolphins (soonTM)

image.thumb.png.c42dff54f4928f8583efbbccac87db70.png

Sunset (seen from the island you rammed yesterday)

image.png.be02e9b98e749799ee6ebc687140c5ab.png

and whales (the "other" island you hit)

image.thumb.png.7836b56c3782d61cf09d39d895cbd617.png

she asked for?

:Smile_honoring: Blaubeeren

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,080 posts
3,479 battles
43 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Well, I'm quietly hoping that the marine biologists discover a new species at some point: after Giant Squid and Colossal Squid, one wonders what manner of name they'll go with next.

I'm hoping for the F*ck Me, That's Enormous Squid or similar...

References for fans of massive molluscs:

Giant Squid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_squid

Colossal Squid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_squid

Ah-hem. :fish_book:

According to the SRD table of Creature Size and Scale (see below), which serves as the accepted WGS* international standard, Colossal is the largest applicable size category. Anything that qualifies as Colossal is merely more or less Colossal, with the related game mechanics staying the same. Individual variations apply, and a typical F*ck Me, That's One Enormous Squid could most likely be presumed to be at least a Gargantuan specimen.

Giant, on the other hand, is a (non-playable) race, most of whose subset species range from Large to Gargantuan, although some - such as the Mountain Giant - can reach Colossal size.

Table: Creature Size and Scale
Size
Category
Attack and
AC Modifier
Special Attacks
Modifier1
Hide
Modifier
Height or
Length2
Weight3 Space4 Natural Reach4 Carrying Capacity Mulitplier
Tall Long Biped Quadruped
Fine +8 −16 +16 6 in. or less 1/8 lb. or less 1/2 ft. 0 ft. 0 ft. ×1/8 ×1/4
Diminutive +4 −12 +12 6 in.–1 ft. 1/8 lb.–1 lb. 1 ft. 0 ft. 0 ft. ×1/4 ×1/2
Tiny +2 −8 +8 1 ft.–2 ft. 1 lb.–8 lb. 2-1/2 ft. 0 ft. 0 ft. ×1/2 ×3/4
Small +1 −4 +4 2 ft.–4 ft. 8 lb.–60 lb. 5 ft. 5 ft. 5 ft. ×3/4 ×1
Medium +0 +0 +0 4 ft.–8 ft. 60 lb.–500 lb. 5 ft. 5 ft. 5 ft. ×1 ×1-1/2
Large −1 +4 −4 8 ft.–16 ft. 500 lb.–2 tons 10 ft. 10 ft. 5 ft. ×2 ×3
Huge −2 +8 −8 16 ft.–32 ft. 2 tons–16 tons 15 ft. 15 ft. 10 ft. ×4 ×6
Gargantuan −4 +12 −12 32 ft.–64 ft. 16 tons–125 tons 20 ft. 20 ft. 15 ft. ×8 ×12
Colossal −8 +16 −16 64 ft. or more 125 tons or more 30 ft. 30 ft. 20 ft. ×16 ×24
  1. This modifier applies to the bull rush, grapple, overrun, and trip special attacks.
  2. Biped's height, quadruped's body length (nose to base of tail)
  3. Assumes that the creature is roughly as dense as a regular animal. A creature made of stone will weigh considerably more. A gaseous creature will weigh much less.
  4. These values are typical for creatures of the indicated size. Some exceptions exist.

* World Geek Society

• Funny 1

Players
74 posts
10,112 battles
2 hours ago, Procrastes said:

Much obliged, Sir! I posted my thread late last night and somewhat on the fly; I should have given more thought to where I put it. :Smile_great:

Rofl..... ps: dont let your good wife see this reply :Smile_playing:

• Funny 1

[NWP]
Players
1,182 posts
9,071 battles
21 hours ago, Procrastes said:

you are residing on board your own ship.

memories of my youth

21 hours ago, Procrastes said:

at 09:23 a.m. - risen to 30 degrees centigrade

I live in Arabia Felix, 30 is fresh.

16 hours ago, Verblonde said:

one wonders what manner of name they'll go with next.

Hue Mongus Squid

• Cool 1