Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Weikath_

Changes in the names of Italian cruisers

12 comments in this topic

WG Staff
10 posts

Dear players,

After additional discussion regarding our name choices for Tier VIII-X Italian cruisers, we decided to choose a different set of names.

Your main concern after our previous clarification was that Verona, Torino and Milano had no naval theme, and we address it thus:

• Verona will be renamed to Amalfi. Amalfi is an historical port town on the West coast of Italy, and there was an armored cruiser with such name in the beginning of 20th century.
  • Torino will be renamed to Brindisi. It is an historical port town on the East coast of Italy, and this name also belonged to a 1920-30 light cruiser.
  • Milano will be renamed to Venezia. Apart from the obvious maritime theme, it was also a 1920-30 light cruiser.

The names Pisa, Napoli and Palermo will be reserved for possible future ships. We also reserve the right to use Verona, Torino, Milano and any other names in the future, should we run out of reasonably significant maritime options.

Thank you, and arrivederci!

• Cool 15

[-MMI-]
Players
13 posts
10,782 battles

Thank you, from the very bottom of my heart, for your understanding. I couldn't be happier for these new names, they really mean something to all of us naval enthusiasts. Now, I'm truly satisfied with these top tier cruisers, hope they'll perform as good as they all look! 

But remember, when the time of Italian Battleships and Destroyers will come, that they had different onomastic conventions from cruisers, so cities will not be the best naming choice!

• Cool 2

Players
341 posts
6,881 battles

Thanks but remember it's absolutely not necessary for all Italian ships to have city names!! (Moreover in Italy there is a strong north-south rivalry so you have to distribute names evenly). "The names Pisa, Napoli and Palermo will be reserved for possible future ships. We also reserve the right to use Verona, Torino, Milano and any other names in the future, should we run out of reasonably significant maritime options. "

PLEASE NO! PALERMO OR NAPOLI ARE THE SAME MEANINGLESS LIKE MILANO OR TORINO! NO GOD PLEASE NO!! :) Really  I'm not a historian, simple passionate about italian history and if you need some suggestion you can find help from Italian players here on the forum!!

You can also use names of historical leaders like Colleoni, GIovanni dalle Bande nere, already used for some cruisers, or historical names like Garibaldi, Cavour and so on.

I appreciate, however, the fact that you've listened to us. The only name that I think is not fitting is Brindisi... I think that Trieste, Gorizia even Pisa would be better.

• Cool 2

[BATES]
Players
578 posts
9,234 battles

Really appreciate the new names, now they make sense. As already stated by Lupastro above, please don't use also in future meaningless names like Torino, Verona or Milano. Italian maritime history is full of examples you could use. Also there is a community which would give great help in choosing the right names in case of doubts.

@_Lupastro_ they cannot use Trieste because they already put the Trento at t6, or Cavour because was a BB of same Giulio Cesare class or Gorizia (Zara class). Using real names of WWI/WWII ships would lead to try to be as more as possible near to the original configuration, instead using not completed units for higher tiers will give WG more "fantasy" to try to balance the new ships between the others, also if not historically correct (but it's a game, not a ship simulator, so it's ok).

As I already suggested in other posts, would be better to use

Saints:

San Giorgio, San Marco

Roman Generals:

Attilio Regolo/Scipione Africano

Savoy family members:

Duca d'Aosta/Eugenio di Savoia

Italian Admirals:

Thaon di Revel, Pisani, Barbarigo, Dandolo

Also, if there is a chance to think again to Zara on t8 and introducing the Garibaldi on t7 would be great.

[FAILS]
Players
467 posts
18,439 battles

Appreciate the name changes very much. Now hoping for decently balanced ships...

Players
341 posts
6,881 battles
Proprio ora, Aetius85 ha scritto:

Really appreciate the new names, now they make sense. As already stated by Lupastro above, please don't use also in future meaningless names like Torino, Verona or Milano. Italian maritime history is full of examples you could use. Also there is a community which would give great help in choosing the right names in case of doubts.

@_Lupastro_ they cannot use Trieste because they already put the Trento at t6, or Cavour because was a BB of same Giulio Cesare class or Gorizia (Zara class). Using real names of WWI/WWII ships would lead to try to be as more as possible near to the original configuration, instead using not completed units for higher tiers will give WG more "fantasy" to try to balance the new ships between the others, also if not historically correct (but it's a game, not a ship simulator, so it's ok).

As I already suggested in other posts, would be better to use

Saints:

San Giorgio, San Marco

Roman Generals:

Attilio Regolo/Scipione Africano

Savoy family members:

Duca d'Aosta/Eugenio di Savoia

Italian Admirals:

Thaon di Revel, Pisani, Barbarigo, Dandolo

Also, if there is a chance to think again to Zara on t8 and introducing the Garibaldi on t7 would be great.

Ok I understand your reasons, but since they're ships on paper I don't see why you can't use names like Trieste even if they already used Trento.

I repeat, however, the fact that not all ships MUST to have city names!

Players
341 posts
6,881 battles
11 minuti fa, BruceRKF ha scritto:

Appreciate the name changes very much. Now hoping for decently balanced ships...

THIS!

• Cool 1

Players
963 posts
11,851 battles
1 hour ago, BruceRKF said:

Well first thing they can do is remove the only 10% SAP damage to DDs, cause atm you only will do 520 damage per shell Penetration every 20 secs... that is compared to 1 Yoshino HE shell doing 1,683 damage per shell Hit every 18.5 secs... yep DDs will hard counter them...

Players
963 posts
11,851 battles

BTW I just worked out the Potential DPS of the T10 against a DD with SAP it comes to 390dps, for the Yoshino with HE it comes to 819dps which is more than double and if the DD is saturated then it drops to 409dps which is still higher and this is accounting that all shells hit for both and all the SAP shells penetrate rather than ricochet. Lets not also forget HE sets fires and knocks out modules which the SAP won't unless the shell actually hits them...

Yeah this SAP ammo just keeps sounding worse...

Sign in to follow this