Sign in to follow this  
Fuktifano

Grinding BBs

11 comments in this topic

Players
10 posts
676 battles

Greetings

Looking for advice as to the best way to grind the BB lines.  Should I stick to the one Nation and go through the tech tree or try each of them simultaneously?  

If if it is one Nation, any recommendations?

thanks

Players
5 posts
2,308 battles

It depends a bit on if you know how you like to play.

The BBs have many different playstyles and I find that the flavour of each line doesn't really become apparent until at least tier 6 or 7.

So unless you've found a line that you really like I reccomend grinding the low tiers of several lines to find your favorite.

It sucks getting to a high tier only to find out that you don't like where the line is going.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
4,854 posts
11,844 battles
1 hour ago, Fuktifano said:

Should I stick to the one Nation and go through the tech tree or try each of them simultaneously?

As others have said, play as many nations as you can early on (low tier ships are cheap, both in terms of xp and silver); crucially, don't rush up the tiers - if you take your time, you'll acquire the necessary skill-set (and decent captains) before you get thrown in too deep, in terms of fearsome opposition.

I would also recommend playing other classes too (maybe not CVs, at least until the rework is actually finished); besides helping keep the game fresh, you'll also have a better understanding of what the other classes can/can't do, what they're trying to do, and how to counter them. For example, if you're keen on BBs, one of the greater threats to you is DDs - playing DDs will give you a much better idea of how to stop the wee buggers from blowing holes in your battleships...

• Cool 3

Players
10 posts
676 battles

Thanks for responding.  

@ColonelPete fun sounds better than grind so I will keep that in mind when I play.

@hallvard98 will do as you suggest and play all the lower tiers.

@Verblonde I have noticed that decent Captains are a must.  I got Warspite as a returning player but haven't even taken it out cos of that reason. I will try DD play, should be interesting, my reflex/reaction time sooo slooow that's why I am going to concentrate on BBs lol.

again all, thanks for your time.  Maybe see you in battle sometime :cap_like:

[SM0KE]
Players
4,854 posts
11,844 battles
37 minutes ago, Fuktifano said:

I have noticed that decent Captains are a must.

Pretty much, especially when you get into the +2 MM bracket; the value of higher point captains is often underestimated. In lower tiers you can often get away with something more basic, unless you want to develop into a discerning seal-clubber, but most experienced players tend to view them as essential at higher tiers.

For most ships, a sensibly built 10-pointer is usually a pretty decent start, although there are ships dotted around that need more than that to get the most out of (something that needs both CE and IFHE, for example, at least until the latter is reworked).

If you're short of decent captains, there are several ways to get hold of some:

• Freebies include via missions, collections, coal (in the 'armory'), campaigns and so on.
  • If you want to wield your wallet at the problem, you can also use doubloons ('armory' again), or sometimes buy extras via the shop (the current summer sale thing where you get a couple of random ship crates also includes 10-point captains for the ships you get from said crates).

Early on in your playing career, developing captains can be a bit of a struggle (presumably, WG are hoping you'll spend doubloons on free xp conversion), but there are ways to make things more tolerable. Ops are a good start - your Warspite will get away with several of the T6 Ops with a flaky captain, and those Ops are a good way to get a captain more experienced in a somewhat more benign environment than randoms (being a premium, Warspite can obviously train captains from regular silver RN ships without having to retrain too). You'll tend to accumulate signals and cammo that boost captain xp earning - save these for games where you're confident you'll do reasonably well, to maximise returns (don't waste them on Coop mode).

Although they can be exasperating, play as many 'special mode' battles as you can stand; by this I mean things like the recent Rogue Wave event, or the recurring Halloween thing (and so on) - events like these usually involve special ships with (crucially) specific 19-point captains. This matters as 19-pointers earn elite captain xp, which can be used to boost other captains - this elite xp can be incredibly helpful, especially when you're advancing a captain to the earlier point landmarks (10 being the notable one). Also, keep an eye out for missions that award you elite xp (the daily ones do it every so often, for example).

Your key goal, which will take a while to achieve, is to get your first 19 point captain for a regular ship; after this, you aren't reliant on missions/events to get elite xp, as your 19-pointer will earn it every time you play him. Of course, your first 19-pointer makes it easier to get your second, and so on as the effect snowballs. It's helpful if your first 19 pointer will work in at least one premium you might have, as this allows you to make more use of daily first win bonuses; this principle also applies when advancing any captain (of course) only with the xp earned going to only that captain, rather being able to be applied elsewhere.

An example of the last model: I have a 19-pointer on my Gearing (T10 US DD); this captain works also works splendidly on almost all the US premium DDs, so as well as the first win bonus from Gearing, I can also make use of the bonuses for something like half a dozen premium US DDs at the same time! I have too many premiums, but the principle applies even with just one (so your Warspite will help you with this as you work your way up the RN BB line). Doing this sort of thing allows you to build up quite a lot of elite xp in a reasonably short space of time (or advance a lower point captain more rapidly).

• Cool 2

Players
10 posts
676 battles

@Verblonde thanks for taking the time to lay out this info, very helpful.  I admit I spent some doubloons to buy 2 Captains from Armoury to help me along but I never thought about doing operations so will have to have a try.  I did try the rougue wave event but wasn't very good  I will need to look and see if I got any Captain Experience, if I have it won't be much :Smile_sad:

My first 19 pointer seems a long way off but I'm looking forward to when I eventually do get him and look forward to enjoying this game despite all the technicalities involved.  You have been really helpful, thanks again :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,471 posts
20,065 battles

Regarding Scenario battles/Operations:
Most T6 operations grant a 10-point captain of a specific nation (KM, USN, VMF, IJN) upon first completion with 4 stars,

which in total should grant you at least a basic complement of captains.

• Cool 2

Players
10 posts
676 battles

@FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor thanks bud, been trying these but compared to my efforts in USA BBs, unsuccessfully.  I really need to skill a captain up before I go back to randoms with one.  I meet too many seal clubbers in the red team most of the time and get blapped.

Sign in to follow this