You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
JarrusJenkins

angling

45 comments in this topic

Players
106 posts
2,872 battles

Right, 

can some one explain to me how angling works.

I was going one on one in HMS Hood against USS Alaska and I was angled pretty well and he was able to keep pening me for 7k-10k dame per salvo and yet he was giving me broadside and I was getting overpens and minimal damage pens and shatters....(12ish km range)

It seems to happen a lot with me in different ships, I get very few bounces off my armour and seem to take it up the arse all the time from the opposing ship so can some please explain to me what I'm doing wrong because I've watched the videos and I would swear I was doing it right but clearly I'm either being trolled by the game or i'm doing it wrong.

thanks

jj

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,506 posts
9,674 battles

They aim for the superstructure and get reliable damage

Your hits are missing the citadel and going straight through the ship

Also rng can be a pain 

• Cool 2

Players
106 posts
2,872 battles
1 hour ago, beercrazy said:

They aim for the superstructure and get reliable damage

Your hits are missing the citadel and going straight through the ship

Also rng can be a pain 

305mm incoming shells though

Players
8,742 posts

Alaska has improved pen angles on its AP shells, so you would need to angle more than against other ships. And he can still try to go for your superstucture. Alaska armor is trollish aswell, as the Citadel sits below the waterline. Hit above it, and you will most likely overpenetrate because it lacks armor to fuse your shells.

6 minutes ago, JarrusJenkins said:

where do I find them?

can't find the folder that the game is in 

Should be a folder named replays right in yout game folder.

[-AP-]
Players
2,351 posts
5,727 battles
8 minutes ago, JarrusJenkins said:

Which means two things:

1. His ap cant overmatch your hoods nose armor which is 25mm. Overmatch is calculated using the formula of caliber/14.3

2. His he will penetrate most parts of your armor, the alaska along with most ships has 1/6 pen, so it will pen 50mm of armor.

This means that one of three things happened: Either the alaska fired AP at your superstructure,  or HE at nearly any part of your armor, or you werent as angled as you thought you were, and he penned your broadside with AP.

• Cool 2

Players
1,131 posts
7,085 battles

You should play more battles at low tier to gain experience on how to properly position your ship. Playing the Hood and the Vanguard with less than 250 battles is not a wise choice, you will be frustrated.

You should play up to tier 5 in several different classes of ships before thinking of going higher tiers.

Angling and how to aim will come easily.

• Cool 3

Players
106 posts
2,872 battles
2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Alaska has improved pen angles on its AP shells, so you would need to angle more than against other ships. And he can still try to go for your superstucture. Alaska armor is trollish aswell, as the Citadel sits below the waterline. Hit above it, and you will most likely overpenetrate because it lacks armor to fuse your shells.

Should be a folder named replays right in yout game folder.

seriously, wheres the game folder

[-AP-]
Players
2,351 posts
5,727 battles
1 minute ago, JarrusJenkins said:

Its where you chose to put it when you installed the game. Its not in a static place, you got to choose where it goes during installation.

Default folder should be something like this: "C:\Games\WorldOfWarships"

Players
106 posts
2,872 battles
1 minute ago, elblancogringo said:

You should play more battles at low tier to gain experience on how to properly position your ship. Playing the Hood and the Vanguard with less than 250 battles is not a wise choice, you will be frustrated.

You should play up to tier 5 in several different classes of ships before thinking of going higher tiers.

Angling and how to aim will come easily.

I was thinking this, to be fair, I didn't do too bad in QE and Orion but I couldn't get used to KGV.

also the fact that QE and Orion are painfully slow kind of made me gather just enough ship xp to teir up

Players
106 posts
2,872 battles
3 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Its where you chose to put it when you installed the game. Its not in a static place, you got to choose where it goes during installation.

Default folder should be something like this: "C:\Games\WorldOfWarships"

still can't find it.

I installed the game via the Windows store on Windows 10

[-AP-]
Players
2,351 posts
5,727 battles

I installed the game via the Windows store on Windows 10

Then i understand why you cant find the replay folder, the windows store does everything it can to be dubious, annoying and pointlessly limiting.

The biggest advice i have for you is to instantly uninstall it from there, and reinstall it from wargamings own launcher.

Seriously, windows store is the most horribly badly coded piece of software that i have ever encountered, playing warships through the windows store will bring you a lot of trouble and annoyances, not being able to find the replay folder is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Cool 4

Players
8,742 posts
6 minutes ago, JarrusJenkins said:

I was thinking this, to be fair, I didn't do too bad in QE and Orion but I couldn't get used to KGV.

also the fact that QE and Orion are painfully slow kind of made me gather just enough ship xp to teir up

You might want to play other nations ships/classes too.

Kongo is a faster BB on T5 (Japanese), if you want to play faster BBs that is. Its easier than playing 30kt BBs on hightiers, as you will also get into situations faster, where you will not get out alive. But on T5, its harder to get punished fast, so you might learn something from it. Getting deleted on hightiers fast is frustrating at best.

• Cool 1

Players
106 posts
2,872 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

You might want to play other nations ships/classes too.

Kongo is a faster BB on T5 (Japanese), if you want to play faster BBs that is. Its easier than playing 30kt BBs on hightiers, as you will also get into situations faster, where you will not get out alive. But on T5, its harder to get punished fast, so you might learn something from it. Getting deleted on hightiers fast is frustrating at best.

I find it hard to strike that balance,

if I push I get nuked, if I hang back I barely get a look in to do something useful of even damage another ship

I was hoping to finish a line before starting another one. Not sure which I would go for next.

Players
8,742 posts

I find it hard to strike that balance,

if I push I get nuked, if I hang back I barely get a look in to do something useful of even damage another ship

I was hoping to finish a line before starting another one. Not sure which I would go for next.

You probably (more like: Will) learn more if you try other stuff too, play it till T4-5-6 see how you like em. You need knowledge of each class so you know how they will react if you play against them, f.e. playing DD will make you a better BB player, as it will tell you what a DD can do against your BB and what he cant do.

Players
106 posts
2,872 battles
2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

You probably (more like: Will) learn more if you try other stuff too, play it till T4-5-6 see how you like em. You need knowledge of each class so you know how they will react if you play against them, f.e. playing DD will make you a better BB player, as it will tell you what a DD can do against your BB and what he cant do.

to be fair, I find that I have a much harder time dealing with cruisers than destroyers or carriers. I tend to be very aware of where the DDs are on the map and Im not totally useless at anticipating the impending "metal fish" that will wreck me into next year. 

Its the cruiser over island and smoke screen million shell spam I have a hard time dealing with. I feel like there pretty much no counter to it other than to try and wreck them first which is also hard to do if you've got one that has since the shells coming toward them.

My last game in the Monarch wasn't too bad since I was skulking about with the mega concealment and I caught a couple off guard.

but yeah once I've downloaded the game again I shall probably buy an iron duke again see how I get on from there.

[NWP]
Players
2,495 posts
15,763 battles
4 hours ago, JarrusJenkins said:

Even using the "search" button of windows explorer yields no result? :cap_hmm:

[COR3]
Players
1,318 posts
12,738 battles
5 hours ago, JarrusJenkins said:

Late War 305mm American Heavy Shells though. Alaska may have smaller guns than Hood that doesn't mean they do not perform very well on her.

As stated he will aim for your upper Belts and Superstructure and that will result in 7 - 10k Penetration Volleys.

You can not angle effective against that but you can disengage and or just wait a little till it is saturated. As for your return hits it is hard to tell without a replay :)

Players
9,376 posts
11,000 battles
1 hour ago, 159Hunter said:

Even using the "search" button of windows explorer yields no result? :cap_hmm:

Windows Store apps folders are out of access even if you have full admin rights. You need to fiddle with folder ownership to get there

[PANEU]
Players
1,396 posts
12,858 battles

@JarrusJenkins In addition to what other said:

• Alaska can't overmatch Hood nose, nor hood can overmatch Alaska's (edited) 
  • Both ship have similar gun characteristics of gun penetration regardless of different caliber
  • Both ships citadels are virtually immune at close ranges 

I will add just one small thing. Hood have a weak spot in her casemate athwartship similar to Yamato's citadel weakness

shot-19_07.24_08_52.34-0486.thumb.jpg.8c37ba24907984c90a7867161e613a4f.jpg

If you angle well that is where you get full pens. Bow in is viable option, but Alaska have better armor and guns(edited) 

[MORIA]
Players
7,198 posts
33,658 battles
16 minutes ago, Episparh said:

Alaska can overmatch Hood nose

Uhm she has 305mm guns. How can she overmatch 25mm of bow? 

Speechless Stick Guy 20072019104458.jpg

Players
9,376 posts
11,000 battles
2 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Uhm she has 305mm guns. How can she overmatch 25mm of bow? 

Speechless Stick Guy 20072019104458.jpg

Not so much overmatch, as punch through with improved ricochet angles of hers at "angled pretty well", which isn't exactly precise:Smile_smile:

[MORIA]
Players
7,198 posts
33,658 battles
Just now, Panocek said:

Not so much overmatch, as punch through with improved ricochet angles of hers at "angled pretty well", which isn't exactly precise:Smile_smile:

Well he said can overmatch her nose. Which is not correct. Nose overmatch can do 380mm against 25mm.