You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kenjiro_

Should I buy Nelson?

74 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Players
918 posts
7,475 battles

Hello,

I have around 480k fxp. The only thing I can buy with it now is Nelson. I usually play BBs so Nelson might be a good choice for me. Should I buy it now after years of release or wait for the next fxp BB?

I know there are many Nelson topics in the forum but they are outdated. So please don't refer to them. 

Thanks,

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles
2 minutes ago, Kenjiro_ said:

Hello,

I have around 480k fxp. The only thing I can buy with it now is Nelson. I usually play BBs so Nelson might be a good choice for me. Should I buy it now after years of release or wait for the next fxp BB?

I know there are many Nelson topics in the forum but they are outdated. So please don't refer to them. 

Thanks,

If you like BBs Nelson is a solid choice.

She's really good but be sure to not show broadside (she doesn't have the retard-proof British BB citadel), and remember her nose is easily overmatched. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

She's still a great ship, so unless you're hogging free XP for something else (mind the tier IX PE DD Friesland will come out for free XP soon™) go for her. Very punchy guns and the RN lolheal is a nice combination at tier VII. Not very tanky against anything that can AP overmatch 25mm (bit exposed citadel) and any high dpm ship that can HE pen 25mm is going to happily lunch on your HP (but you can typically weather that with the lolheal if it's not too much focus fire).

• Cool 2

[BOBS3]
Players
979 posts
17,116 battles

Been having fun with her in the current Narii operation. 

She's a Blast there. 10 kills in one run. And that's with a 6 point Captain! 

I've avoided getting her for the last year but boy, a fun ship.

Players
439 posts
5,436 battles

She’s a great ship. So much fun deleting cruisers with HE and her AP is pretty strong too. Add to that the zombie heal

Manoeuvrability is the big issue and god help you if a game with a Shokaku or one of the other AP bomb CVs in the enemy team. They can farm Citadels all day long (well, at least ‘til you die).

Players
1,549 posts

1st Nelson is a recommended ship by Flamu, who I respect a lot.

2nd.  The firing angles on the 3rd set of Rifles can be an issue, American Battle Boats can easy overpenerate you if you show to much broadside. 

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

It is BIG, It is slow, especially in a turn, It doesn't like HE spam / Fire, and good luck hitting any thing over 12km with its dispersion, your basically using 6 guns most of the time.

Is it worth it ? <rhetoric> In My Opinion NO.

image.thumb.png.d106cf50bb5117e0a35fc88637a09355.png

image.thumb.png.4b0afc79011c6b94061b6ca0d37f7052.png

image.thumb.png.86647d7669569861157083c6f8a76637.png

Save the Stars for one of the new Battle Cruisers. 

Edited by Mr_Smasher
Picture added from another game Dispersion
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
9,392 posts
11,012 battles
4 minutes ago, Mr_Smasher said:

It is BIG, It is slow, especially in a turn, It doesn't like HE spam / Fire, and good luck hitting any thing over 12km with its dispersion.

Is it worth it ? <rhetoric> In My Opinion NO.

You know, traits you've mentioned applies to all battleships, not only ones at tier 7:Smile_smile:

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,796 posts
6,612 battles

I've had her more or less since day 1 - very nice ship, clumsy and somewhat slow, when you do not angle properly you will get punished heavily. But, the guns are great for both AP and HE, turret arcs are much better than presenting broadsides in her peers and her accuracy is 'average/middle of field' for a BB at her tier. AA is..weak (being polite here) and secondaries are nothing to write home about. Heal, superb.

More than worth it :)

[THESO]
Players
918 posts
7,475 battles

Thank you all for your help. I think I'm gonna get it. There is no other fxp BB  in the horizon and I'm not interested in high tier cruiser play. It seems I'll try my luck with Nelson :)

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
5,519 posts
22,738 battles

@OP IMO no, she never clicked with me, she isnt bad in itself just that floating cit :etc_swear: AND beeing he fodder at the same time is IMO dumb in a bb, super heal or no sh

Players
1,549 posts
8 minutes ago, Kenjiro_ said:

Thank you all for your help. I think I'm gonna get it. There is no other fxp BB  in the horizon and I'm not interested in high tier cruiser play. It seems I'll try my luck with Nelson :)

Toi Toi Toi  with it

so far to-day in it

image.png.ae053b3072cc1c569335d30201709c02.png

Players
6,427 posts
245 battles

Yeah she seems like a decent boat, try not too push too heavily and remember to watch for smoll dd's that send presents your ways every min or so.

i screamed internally when i tried to kill one in my KGV, not knowing at the time (first time meeting one up close) and it activated it's heal from like 14k (i was on 28k at that point even though i healed i still died).

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,228 posts
14,260 battles

Hi all,

2 hours ago, Kenjiro_ said:

Hello,

Thanks,

I have all FreeXP ships there were... "Nelson" included... I still really like her... :Smile_honoring:

Leo "Apollo11"

Players
8,762 posts

Nelson Toptier = Brokenly OP if played well.

When you are lowtier... it gets tougher. But properly angled only Musashi can hurt you, if you see one, you might want to run away :cap_haloween:

Nelsons sAP is extremely devastating against Cruisers, because citadel overpens wont happen.

someone mentioned, Nelson doesnt like HE spam, wut? Its hilarious with FP + BoS, they usually get max 2 fires and you got zombie heal. Let it burn, pop the heal, and just rushkill the HE spammer :cap_like:

My biggest issue with Nelson has always been the speed. But the guns are brutal. Just dont spam HE with them :fish_viking:

[THESO]
Players
918 posts
7,475 battles
6 minutes ago, MurderousKitten said:

No , i is a junk !

Compared to what? 

• Cool 1

Players
55 posts
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

But properly angled only Musashi can hurt you, if you see one, you might want to run away :cap_haloween:

That statment is so full on BS i wonder if a person ever played Nelson .

406 lolpens you in the nose like a nothing , and even your side armor is overmatched by Musashi :D
If you want 16 inch guns - go for Nagato or Colorado .
Nelson is a glass pinata.

• Bad 2

Players
55 posts
5 minutes ago, Kenjiro_ said:

Compared to what? 

To Nagato for expample . it is same terrible armor , and is 2 kts slower .
ok - turret layout is diferent , but that really does not change SO much.
I cant in my good will recoment someone spends 375k free xp on avrage ship who is suffering the same shortcoming as the rest of the tier 7 bb's

Edited:
i would pick Gneisenau over Nelson ever day of the week , expect weekends , coz no sane person plays in weekends :D

• Cool 1

Players
8,762 posts
1 minute ago, MurderousKitten said:

That statment is so full on BS i wonder if a person ever played Nelson .

406 lolpens you in the nose like a nothing , and even your side armor is overmatched my Musashi :D
If you want 16 inch guns - go for Nagato or Colorado .
Nelson is a glass pinata.

Who says, properly angled is bow-in? :cap_hmm:

If you sit bow-in against larger caliber BBs, you deserve to get frontal citadelled. Sides are 32mm, which bounces everything but Musashi. How can be Nagato and Colorado be tankier? They have 25mm everywhere. Its freefarm for everything with >356mm caliber. Sure, Colorado takes less Citadels, but Nagato has easy access cita too. Doesnt come close if you show broadside in a Nelson... but still

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.605d4038c6ba7ea64c7ad208b8b00a39.png

:Smile_hiding:

Maybe you shouldnt advice other people, if you dont know how to play Nelson yourself...?

I actually like Nelson, because it rewards skillful play :fish_book:

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,200 posts
33,697 battles
31 minutes ago, MurderousKitten said:

No , i is a junk !

Ha? It can do her job from distance. It's not a Lenin but has pretty accurate guns with not bad AP. 

Players
55 posts
12 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Who says, properly angled is bow-in? :cap_hmm:

If you sit bow-in against larger caliber BBs, you deserve to get frontal citadelled. Sides are 32mm, which bounces everything but Musashi. How can be Nagato and Colorado be tankier? They have 25mm everywhere. Its freefarm for everything with >356mm caliber. Sure, Colorado takes less Citadels, but Nagato has easy access cita too. Doesnt come close if you show broadside in a Nelson... but still

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.605d4038c6ba7ea64c7ad208b8b00a39.png

:Smile_hiding:

Maybe you shouldnt advice other people, if you dont know how to play Nelson yourself...?

I actually like Nelson, because it rewards skillful play :fish_book:

I did not say - bow in ,
your bow is lolpened by anything bb has , and your belt is lolpened by Musashi.
So - if against Musashi , just bend over , kiss your lover back side and start praying that Musashi player is bad OR , RNG REALLY loves you .
Still , why should one spend free xp on the worst tier in game ?
i have no problems with nelson , i saying it is a bad free xp investment !
( specially if you dont have all therest of free xp ships ! )
Like i said before - it is glass pinata ( like all the rest of tier 7 bb's ) , so i cant see any resson to recomend someone spending the free xp on it .
Ok - i have it , got about 55% win rate , and to be honest , i only took Nelson coz i did not have anything else to spend free xp on at that moment !
While it very well is decent ship , the person playing is is what matters .

Edited:
the fact you cant make Nelson work , speaks about your skill , not about the ships good things :)