You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

What do you guys think of the Exeter?

63 comments in this topic

Players
1,662 posts
8,120 battles

Are the rumours true about it being OP?

According to LWM it is, well thats how she rated it in her review. Thing is not many ships released nowadays are considered OP, so is this a rare gem..

Players
1,425 posts
17,607 battles

I find her a lot of fun a brilliant cruiser hunter, even up tiered she can cope happily. The only thing you have to be careful with is situational awareness, she's very vulnerable if your surprised and flanked. 

• Cool 4

Modder
4,667 posts
21,580 battles

This ship is very strong when You fulfill one condition: do not eat citadels. Then her almost 50K avaiable HP, give You a massive advantage vs others.

Comparing to puny Emerald, she is much better: ok balistics, working AP and not so vulnerable citadel. With speed flag and thanks to her very high maneuverability +good stealth, she can live very long on battlefield.

• Cool 3

Players
439 posts
5,436 battles

She was even more OP in beta when she had smoke but she's still very satisfying when you get it right.

Very fragile but packs a heck of a punch. Very easy to citadel other cruisers but very vulnerable to being citadeled herself.

There have been rumours of a County class CA coming out in the not to distant future (probably an Aussie and Brit) with two extra guns and more HP so that should again be a nice ship.

• Cool 1

Players
960 posts
11,813 battles

Basically it should be tier 6, but it is supper strong at tier 5 if you know what you are doing. Solo'd a full HP Belfast, cause you can citadel it through the nose.

Alpha Tester
945 posts
6,821 battles

I missed out on the opportunity of acquiring the ship. However, it gives me impression that it's either terribly weak or difficult to play, hence its rare presence in matches. One thing i know for certain: it must be better than emerald. Though not much is nedded to surpass that dead boat from tech tree.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,685 posts
15,812 battles

I have played her only once but she felt like a Furutaka (glass cannon).

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
701 posts
11,549 battles

I have found it to be strong ship. But I played it only to do some mission, no idea what it was.

Before release people have been complaining about changes as most reviews in net are of WiP version that is different.

I have no idea what you have seen. I did not have any problems to do the missions, and thus enjoyed it.

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
5,465 posts
22,640 battles

She is ok, but OP? Hardly

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
785 posts
8,458 battles

I normally do well in fragile cruisers, but for me at least Exeter has proven very weak indeed.  Leander/Fiji/Belfast/Edinburgh all around 60% wr in solo randoms, Exeter at... 39% wr.

Maybe "my" Exeter has just had bad MM (it seems to be bottom tier most of the time), but I find that it rarely even earns its own health/damage in a battle. Its very low rate of fire means it can be out-DPM'd by a DD  (and in DDs i have no trouble gunning down an Exeter myself), and its paper armour means it gets citadelled from any direction by just about any ship.

I find it far too vulnerable to take part in the active battle (a tier 5 BB will insta-delete it at any angle), so it doesn't seem to be a ship that can carry a team - unless the opposition doesn't shoot back. E.g. I have plenty of Krakens and epic wins in bottom tier Leander, but have yet to have even a "good" normal battle in Exeter.

I don't know what the answer is. Exeter is just about my worst ship overall (all ships), despite being in the class (RN CAs) which is my strongest.

5,835 posts
10,262 battles

Now that you mention her, I think I have played about ... 3 battles with her? In the almost a year that I have her now. So no, not really OP (otherwise I would've played her more). Strong? Maybe, but at T5 against T7s that can citadel you from any angle ... meh ...

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,019 posts
10,248 battles

Like all cruisers it had better not be seen by a BB.  I don't understand why it doesn't have the smoke that RN cruisers get.

• Cool 1

[O-S-W]
Players
609 posts
18,571 battles
9 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Are the rumours true about it being OP?

According to LWM it is, well thats how she rated it in her review. Thing is not many ships released nowadays are considered OP, so is this a rare gem..

yes.--

but i am happy. citadel all cruisers. in his tier its realy OP ship. 

[MORIA]
Players
7,195 posts
33,627 battles

Division Exeter + Hill = great game. Didn't play her a lot but her guns are really good. As I heard my friends play in such division she performs excellent. 

Players
2,248 posts
18,089 battles

I only played 1 match in her when I got her and it was a brilliant one. 73 k damage, 1 kill with main guns, 1 with torpedoes and 1 with secondary guns for a total of 3 kills and 26 plane kills. Big fun but I never played her since :fish_sleep:

Beta Tester
3,070 posts
3,476 battles

The Exeter is good against all enemies except battleships.

• She can counter destroyers with her hydro, and take them out with her HE.
  • She can outgun other cruisers with her combination of AP, HE and heal.
  • She has good survivability versus carrier plane attacks due to good AA and a fighter plane to back it up. And if she finds the carrier, her guns can take it out fairly quickly.
  • She has torpedoes, which give her an edge in close combat encounters as well as a last-ditch measure if caught out by a battleship.

All in all, the Exeter is far more versatile than any of the other tier V cruisers. She needs to be played with caution and forethought, as she's liable to be obliterated if caught out in the open - but this makes her no different from any other cruiser. And even if she does mess up, her heal gives her an added chance to stay in the game. She's really only instant toast if she gives broadside to some heavy guns, or if she's caught out by an enemy battleship and has no means of escape.

I'm not sure if I'd call her straightaway OP, since it takes a fair bit of skill to play her to her full strengths. But if she'd had smoke as well, on top of all her other advantages, she would have been super-duper OP - and that's a fact as I see it. Not to mention that it would have made the poor old Furutaka even more redundant than she already is....!

• Cool 4

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,286 posts
15,561 battles

I like her and I don't find her to be OP. Only played 6 games with a 33% wr but all the other numbers are good.

2019-07-22 (3).png

[MORIA]
Players
7,195 posts
33,627 battles
4 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

and take them out with her HE.

Well not so effective against DDs due to long reload time. Feels like Indianapolis in that matter. 

• Cool 3

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
5,465 posts
22,640 battles
26 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Division Exeter + Hill = great game. Didn't play her a lot but her guns are really good. As I heard my friends play in such division she performs excellent. 

Well yeah smoke changes things quite a bit...

1 hour ago, cracktrackflak said:

I normally do well in fragile cruisers, but for me at least Exeter has proven very weak indeed.  Leander/Fiji/Belfast/Edinburgh all around 60% wr in solo randoms, Exeter at... 39% wr.

Well, duh all of those above have smoke, amour and hp of RN cruisers are made to work with them having smoke, thats why when they are exposed it gets ugly quick

• Cool 1

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

She's very strong when all the enemies guns are pointing the other way and you can do lots of damage, and then 'boom!', gone in a flash. Rather than being named after Exeter, an attractive city on England's South Coast, the preferred spelling for me is 'Exit-er'

• Funny 2

[COR3]
Players
1,313 posts
12,738 battles

She was absolutely broken op with smoke and she is still op without it. its a much better furutaka with a heal on t5. 

Players
454 posts
9,898 battles

It’s a superb ship AT ITS TIER, making a good impression of a Swiss knifes flexibility . Looking forward to the County Class coming out one day.

Beta Tester
3,070 posts
3,476 battles
34 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Well not so effective against DDs due to long reload time. Feels like Indianapolis in that matter. 

This is true, of course. A light cruiser is generally much better at dealing with destroyers than any heavy cruiser. All I'm saying is that the HE gives the Exeter a fair punch versus destroyers.

[KAKE]
Players
2,421 posts
5,556 battles

Only played one game in her shortly after finishing the grind. Should probably play her more, because at least in that game she performed hilariously well. I just don't play that much T5.

I suspect she's one of those ships that's overpowered in the right hands. If you have the situational awareness to put her guns to work while avoiding return fire, she's absolute murder. But she's also as squishy as any other RN cruiser and without a smoke screen to hide in, so she'll get spanked easily enough if anything with large calibre guns sneezes in her general direction.

If you can play IJN CAs well, you can probably play the Exeter well.

• Cool 1