You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Historynerd

[POLL] Change the names of the Italian cruisers from Tier 8 to Tier 10

Name change for the upper Tiers Italian cruisers  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Should the names of the Italian cruisers from Tier 8 to Tier 10 be changed?

• Yes
    • No

94 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
4,249 posts
848 battles

The recently announced Italian cruiser line has a total of seven ships that were built and in service, and three that are taken from designs (at least two of them, I'm not sure about where they found the Tier 10).

These three ships appeared with the names of VeronaTorino and Milano.

These names are not in following of the Regia Marina nomenclature precedents, which may have been a bit lax but nonetheless had a certain logic to it.

This is a page with all the RM cruisers from the 1880s to World War II (please disregard the helictoper cruisers of the Marina Militare at the bottom). We can draw a bit of conclusion about what themes were IRL used for cruisers:

• Historical military leaders (eg. Giuseppe Garibaldi, Francesco Ferruccio, Nino Bixio, the whole bunch of the Condottieri-type and the Capitani Romani - unfortunately these names were largely used up in WWII ships)
  • Regions and volcanoes of Italy (the old Regioni-class cruisers and the Etna-class - but the volcanoes were partially taken up by the formerly Thailandese small cruisers taken over by the RM)
  • Names of the Maritime Republics (Pisa and Amalfi)
  • Battles of the Risorgimento (Varese, Goito, etc.)
  • Harbours involved in WWI (Taranto, Bari, Brindisi, Venezia, Ancona - assigned to ships taken over as war reparations)
  • "Redeemed cities" (the Trento- and the Zara-classes)
  • Others (some ships given names of birds of prey or colonial battles or mythological names that by WWII were used by ships such as the Spica-class torpedo-boats)

Therefore, the proposed names for the upper Tier cruisers can be seen as inherently not following these guidelines, as Torino, Milano and Verona, while huge and important, not only are not harbours, but do not have any specific historical meaning in the sense that the other ships named after cities had.

-

So, what are some names that could be more acceptable?

Opinion may differ on this subject, so I will simply state mine, and welcome any other opinion that may differ.

Postulating that drawing on the names of former ships of the RM may be the safer and best choice, there are several choices that I believe would be rather good:

• First, the names I think would be the best choice would be the names of the remaining two Maritime Republics, Pisa and Amalfi (since Genova is taken already and the name Venezia may be reserved for a future high-Tier premium, one of the "supercruisers" with 254 mm guns)
  • The next best choice might be to use names of Italian regions. Such names would be properly grand for important ships such as heavy cruisers, I feel.
  • If a more "historical" flavour is preferrable, my choice would fall on names such as Marco Polo (a great Italian explorer whose name, while not strictly "naval", was nonetheless free) or Carlo Alberto (a name that would keep with the "historical leaders" trend, and one I'd guess would have been readily accepted by the traditionally monarchist RM).
  • If names of people are a no-go, I'd choose a name of a battle of the Risorgimento; Varese and Goito would be the strongest candidates in my opinion.

-

This is it.

Please vote on the poll, and please share your own opinions on what names would be better for these ships. :Smile_honoring:

... I would also like to politely request, to all those who would like to come and share potential names taken from Italian foods or Italian-American video-game characters, to take their oh, so original humour elsewhere, as I'd like this to be a serious discussion. 

• Cool 20
  • Boring 1

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,410 posts

I personally don't care for names for paper ships, but I voted yes anyway.

I mean, that I don't care doesn't mean I can't support other people's initiative. Besides, other names are fine by me as well, so go ahead and be vocal about this.

For the Italians I hope it works. It did for the Germans (Deutschland -> Kurfurst) and the French (France -> Republique) so it's only fair that WG also listens to Italian feedback :Smile_honoring:

I just hope I will be able to pronounce them :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 2

Players
2,260 posts
18,092 battles

I suggest Margarita, Calzone and Hawaii for the cruiser with pineapple.

:fish_haloween:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 13
  • Bad 3

[UNICS]
Players
4,308 posts
15,747 battles
37 minutes ago, Historynerd said:

... I would also like to politely request, to all those who would like to come and share potential names taken from Italian foods or Italian-American video-game characters, to take their oh, so original humour elsewhere, as I'd like this to be a serious discussion. 

I will honour this request and leave the thread :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[_IRN_]
Players
86 posts
2,701 battles

I would prefer harbour names like La Spezia Brindisi Taranto Bari Ancona or Napoli. Moreover I think that Taranto on tier 3 is not worth the importance of this city regarding RM

[JRM]
Players
5,526 posts
22,760 battles

First of all - i am a croat, hence i feel entiteled to vote on names derived of cities that were at some time part of Italy and today are not.

Second - i find names such as Zara, Fiume and similar should not be offensive to anyone, IMO that is simply a historic fact, and thats it - a FACT, beeing offended by a historic fact is ridiculous, if those names fit better (and they do) then made up names - use them...

We have (esp on coastal area) an intertwined history with Italy, we shared much grief and much joy through history, sometimes on same side and sometimes on opposite sides in conflicts and I will enjoy having and using RM ships in game, i feel them as partly my heritage as well many of our people manned those ships

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
4,249 posts
848 battles
29 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

I will honour this request and leave the thread :Smile_hiding:

Thank you very much.

29 minutes ago, Nufessa said:

I would prefer harbour names like La Spezia Brindisi Taranto Bari Ancona or Napoli. Moreover I think that Taranto on tier 3 is not worth the importance of this city regarding RM

Unfortunately, both Taranto and Bari are disqualified, since both ships were still in service in WW2 (they were part of the "divisione ruggine" - rust division). 

Napoli is a problem,as that name was borne by a predreadnought battleship, so I don't think it can be "downgraded" to a cruiser. 

La Spezia... Well, if everything else fails, why not, I guess? 

6 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

First of all - i am a croat, hence i feel entiteled to vote on names derived of cities that were at some time part of Italy and today are not.

Second - i find names such as Zara, Fiume and similar should not be offensive to anyone, IMO that is simply a historic fact, and thats it - a FACT, beeing offended by a historic fact is ridiculous, if those names fit better (and they do) then made up names - use them...

We have (esp on coastal area) an intertwined history with Italy, we shared much grief and much joy through history, sometimes on same side and sometimes on opposite sides in conflicts and I will enjoy having and using RM ships in game, i feel them as partly my heritage as well many of our people manned those ships

Thank you for your words. For better or for worse, our people have shared much, I agree. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[_IRN_]
Players
86 posts
2,701 battles

I know that some names were in service during WW2 period but we're talking about an arcade game. I mean it's difficult that we'll see ships like cruiser Bari or pre dreadnoughts in game so, IMHO, no point in excluding such names. Also mind that we had 3 main arsenals during that period: La Spezia, Augusta and Taranto. We could use them for tier 8 9 and 10 renaming tier 3 with another city like Cagliari Salerno Catania Pescara etc

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,410 posts
1 hour ago, Nufessa said:

La Spezia Brindisi Taranto Bari Ancona or Napoli.

7 minutes ago, Nufessa said:

Cagliari Salerno Catania Pescara etc

Please you commas :Smile_teethhappy:

I'm not Italian, I have no clue which words are one name :Smile_hiding:

(I mean, I recognise some cities, but is it La Spezia Bridisi? Just La Spezia, and another name Brindisi? Idunno, I'm an idiot)

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
4,249 posts
848 battles
7 minutes ago, Nufessa said:

I know that some names were in service during WW2 period but we're talking about an arcade game. I mean it's difficult that we'll see ships like cruiser Bari or pre dreadnoughts in game so, IMHO, no point in excluding such names. Also mind that we had 3 main arsenals during that period: La Spezia, Augusta and Taranto. We could use them for tier 8 9 and 10 renaming tier 3 with another city like Cagliari Salerno Catania Pescara etc

Um... Augusta, while an important harbour, was not a major arsenal like La Spezia and Taranto. And, in terms of bases, since it is rather open and vulnerable, it was preferred to have cruisers division based at Messina instead. 

My point is that, even for an arcade game, we should keep these details as accurate as possible, if it's feasible. The names that historical ships bore during that time are automatically excluded for me. 

• Cool 1

Players
6,430 posts
245 battles

Even though i mentioned in another thread i didn't care, I still support this sort of thing (so basically im contridicting myself lol) if it means a lot.

Frankly i have no clue how to name these but if i did (probs be worse than wargamings idea) it would be Tier 8- Bari, Tier 9-Marina Piccola and Tier 10-Marina Grande (Capri).

I heard these places have ports from a few friends of mine who went to greece last year and italy but correct me if im wrong.

think they should keep the turret layout doe.

another name i would go for would be Pescara i vaguely remembered that had a port as well.

Players
341 posts
6,884 battles

We could also use names related to the Italian resurgence such as Brescia, Palestro (already used for a ship in the past), Solferino, Custoza and so on.

Or following the logic of Tiers VI and VII, Trento and Zara, the tier VIII we could call it Gorizia, the IX Fiume and the X Trieste. All cities annexed to Italy after 1918

[_IRN_]
Players
86 posts
2,701 battles
6 minuti fa, Bellegar ha scritto:

Please you commas :Smile_teethhappy:

I'm not Italian, I have no clue which words are one name :Smile_hiding:

(I mean, I recognise some cities, but is it La Spezia Bridisi? Just La Spezia, and another name Brindisi? Idunno, I'm an idiot)

Sorry I'm typing from my new phone and I have problems with commas :Smile_teethhappy:

Anyway it's La Spezia, Brindisi, Taranto, Bari, Ancona, Cagliari, Salerno, Pescara, etc 

• Cool 2

[_IRN_]
Players
86 posts
2,701 battles
11 minuti fa, Historynerd ha scritto:

Um... Augusta, while an important harbour, was not a major arsenal like La Spezia and Taranto. And, in terms of bases, since it is rather open and vulnerable, it was preferred to have cruisers division based at Messina instead. 

My point is that, even for an arcade game, we should keep these details as accurate as possible, if it's feasible. The names that historical ships bore during that time are automatically excluded for me. 

Another idea would be to use naval architects names such as Brin, Pugliese, Cuniberti; but I also see these names can fit better on battleships (like pre dreadnought Benedetto Brin) 

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,796 posts
6,614 battles

Voted yes, due to

1) historical is historical, use them :)

2) I know a bit about IJN name structures and assume that the OP does the same about the RM, so good luck with the idea.

• Cool 5

Players
6,430 posts
245 battles

Either way you still need to voice this on their dev stream or on the ru forums, otherwise good luck getting them to do anything.

plus you would also need to select 3 names as well out the ones suggested by everyone here.

Players
439 posts
5,436 battles

Completely agree. Much as I love Verona and the Duomo in Milian, they should have maritime or Military names.

• Cagiliari
  • Salerno
  • Augusta (ties both the port and Caesar Augusta)

[-TPF-]
Players
3,560 posts
14,708 battles

Would Roman leaders or Generals be acceptable? We have Giulio Cesare, and the names of Roman Generals might satisfy the more militaristic aspects of 1930s culture without being unsuitable. 

• Cool 2

Players
439 posts
5,436 battles
1 minute ago, invicta2012 said:

Would Roman leaders or Generals be acceptable? We have Giulio Cesare, and the names of Roman Generals might satisfy the more militaristic aspects of 1930s culture without being unsuitable. 

Thats why I think Augustus would be great as it’s both a caesar ( Cesare Augusto) and a port. Although his other name of Ottaviano (Octavian) would be even more suitable for Tier 8!

There’s always Marco Antonio as well.

• Cool 1

Players
6,430 posts
245 battles
5 minutes ago, gustywinds said:

Thats why I think Augustus would be great as it’s both a caesar ( Cesare Augusto) and a port. Although his other name of Ottaviano (Octavian) would be even more suitable for Tier 8!

There’s always Marco Antonio as well.

I feel like those would be better for the tier 9 and 10 italian BB's too be honest.

And maybe any premiums at higher tier that wargamings flings our way.

[UNICS]
Players
4,308 posts
15,747 battles
33 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

All up for having names that actually fit the naming conventions.

such as?

As long as WG doesn't give in to Italian 'patriotism'.

• Cool 1

Players
684 posts
73 battles
5 hours ago, Historynerd said:

Battles of the Risorgimento (Varese, Goito, etc.)

Really think we should just rank the battles and say use these WG. 

Birds of of prey should be reserved for carriers. Yes they will happen. 

Redeemed cities will eventually cause hurt feelings from our neighbors or some nationalism drama. Don’t repeat Taiwan.

I’m curious if WG focused on easy to pronounce names as a priority.