You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Otarito

AP being basically useless

14 comments in this topic

[KOSS]
Players
10 posts
1,199 battles

Basically I primarily use AP as I mainly play Japanese BBs (ATM Amagi and Izumo), now about 3 or 4 months ago and up all the way back to the beta, you use BB AP on someones, full-broadside, centre hull at say 10 - 15KM away and they'd recieve at least 2 or 3 cits, now I just seem to get Rocochets and Overpens and literally nothing inbetween.
I know I'm shooting at Cruisers and Battleships and now Destroyers with my AP, so i know I'm using the right ammo for the right target. But I also seem to find many T8 - T10 BBs using nothing but HE now and they seem to be doing more damage per game than the AP users on their teams, did something happen a few patches ago that I'm not aware of (I know that WG has made chnges to AP vs DDs but I'm talking just more in general) or is HE meta just returning to plaugue us once again?

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Nothing changed in that regard. You're either simply not aiming at the right part of the ship (some ships have sneaky citadels) or RNG sayeth no and your shells just don't hit where you wanted them to.

Firing HE is only superficially more damage as more of it it can be healed back than compared to AP damage (especially citadel damage) and fires are 100% repairable damage. You might feel like you deal less damage with AP and the numbers may say the same, but I can assure you your AP damage is more keenly felt.

• Cool 2

[BSPAS]
Beta Tester
137 posts
8,840 battles

If you're shooting at Russian ships then it's working as intended :cap_haloween:

Saying that 'cause I had a couple of doosies with my Georgia against them.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
24,840 posts
13,705 battles
22 minutes ago, Otarito said:

Basically I primarily use AP as I mainly play Japanese BBs (ATM Amagi and Izumo), now about 3 or 4 months ago and up all the way back to the beta, you use BB AP on someones, full-broadside, centre hull at say 10 - 15KM away and they'd recieve at least 2 or 3 cits,...

That has NEVER been this way.

23 minutes ago, Otarito said:

I know I'm shooting at Cruisers and Battleships and now Destroyers with my AP, so i know I'm using the right ammo for the right target. But I also seem to find many T8 - T10 BBs using nothing but HE now and they seem to be doing more damage per game than the AP users on their teams, did something happen a few patches ago that I'm not aware of (I know that WG has made chnges to AP vs DDs but I'm talking just more in general) or is HE meta just returning to plaugue us once again?

Since when is AP the right ammo vs DD and angled BB?

Since when is raw damage important?

Players
6,427 posts
245 battles

r.i.p poi.

and russian bb's have lots o armour so doing pen damage to them is more tricky.

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,354 posts
12,965 battles

You're right to primarily use AP on your BBs. I think that all the ricochets and overpens you're receiving - assuming your shells are on target, is partly due to so many citadels getting lowered, or so many ships released since the old days that are hard to citadel by virtue of the ship model as implemented by WG. For example, Conqueror. And, (un)surpisingly, Kremlin :Smile_trollface:  - thanks to a citadel which isn't actually that big and protected by belt armour surpassing even the historically thiccest belted Yamato. 

There is a time to use HE, sure - there has always been. But using that alone is shooting yourself in the foot. Despite what I said above, you miss out on so many chances to instantly deal mega damage, much less recoverable compared to fires.

On the whole, I don't think they are dealing more damage than 'AP users'. And before anyone mentions Conqueror, she has more than just the HE contributing to her high avg. dmg - she has survivability to stay in the game longer where other BBs would flounder, meaning more damage. 

• Cool 1

Players
6,427 posts
245 battles
2 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

You're right to primarily use AP on your BBs. I think that all the ricochets and overpens you're receiving - assuming your shells are on target, is partly due to so many citadels getting lowered, or so many ships released since the old days that are hard to citadel by virtue of the ship model as implemented by WG. For example, Conqueror. And, (un)surpisingly, Kremlin :Smile_trollface:  - thanks to a citadel which isn't actually that big and protected by belt armour surpassing even the historically thiccest belted Yamato. 

There is a time to use HE, sure - there has always been. But using that alone is shooting yourself in the foot. Despite what I said above, you miss out on so many chances to instantly deal mega damage, much less recoverable compared to fires.

On the whole, I don't think they are dealing more damage than 'AP users'. And before anyone mentions Conqueror, she has more than just the HE contributing to her high avg. dmg - she has survivability to stay in the game longer where other BBs would flounder, meaning more damage. 

quick Q, would using HE against angled BB's (mostly tier 9+) in miss georgy be fine, untill they turn broadside or just use AP on superstructure regardless?

Players
350 posts

ive been having such bad rng lately ,easy shots with republique hitting broadsides and just overpen or a few K damage its one of those periods where whatever you deem less likely to happen in a situation WILL happen just to push you to the limits and make you smash the computer. The enemy lands the hardest shots and you miss the easiest I swear it feels like the puppeteer is laughing at me

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

If I can overmatch the target with AP, I use AP. If not, and I don't  have the reload speed to exploit broadside opportunities, I stick to HE. There is more to it - the more friendlies are shooting at the target, the more appealing HE becomes, for overwhelming the target's DCP and repair ability. If there are CVs, HE also helps them out.

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,354 posts
12,965 battles
33 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

quick Q, would using HE against angled BB's (mostly tier 9+) in miss georgy be fine, untill they turn broadside or just use AP on superstructure regardless?

It really depends on the situation. I mean, you can still get good damage with AP on superstructures.  And Georgia has really strong AP.

On the other hand, if you haven't buffed Georgia's accuracy and you are shooting a target at really long range, say, reversing, then you're probably better off switching to HE, assuming you can't overmatch him... 

Then again, what if another target in the area then presents itself for your deletion but you have HE loaded?

It's really down to what it happening at the time - there's no set answer. 

Players
6,427 posts
245 battles
2 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

It really depends on the situation. I mean, you can still get good damage with AP on superstructures.  And Georgia has really strong AP.

On the other hand, if you haven't buffed Georgia's accuracy and you are shooting a target at really long range, say, reversing, then you're probably better off switching to HE, assuming you can't overmatch him... 

Then again, what if another target in the area then presents itself for your deletion but you have HE loaded?

It's really down to what it happening at the time - there's no set answer. 

Fair enough, ive mostly been using AP anyways, i have one slot of HE loaded for that BB that gets lit up at the start to get early fires and other damages. I have accuracy fully maxed out (below 200m's) and also have expert loader so i can switch shells in like 11 secs between the two (which has been useful sometimes).

just wondering if i should use it mostly on russian bb's angled or just continue using AP.

how do you find miss georgia anyways?

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,354 posts
12,965 battles
26 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

how do you find miss georgia anyways?

Spoiler

Sanji-love.jpg.87a24844552b978220416fc3511c8739.jpg

A pretty accurate representation from Sanji :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,200 posts
33,719 battles
2 hours ago, Otarito said:

broadside, centre hull at say 10 - 15KM away and they'd recieve at least 2 or 3 cits

At least? 

Dude. You can't always guarantee that every broadside is few citadels. That's.... Too optimistic.