Sign in to follow this  
Myrmidon19

The DD Lines

7 comments in this topic

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts

So I'm basically a CV player that sometimes does BB and dabbles in Cruisers from time to time. I've never really liked DD because they're a big learning curve and very nuanced but I feel would be very satisfying once more understanding and competency is gained. I've put off getting round to them for a while but I got made redundant yesterday so in between job hunting I guess I now have a ton of new time for new World of Warship related projects and goals so perhaps it's a good time to tackle these damn DD's but first I need some help. DD's are obviously very different and very varied from one another much like other classes I suppose. I know some are more geared towards speed and evasion, others have more high tech equipment and consumables, some have better guns, more or less range, more powerful torps, longer ranged torps, some have to get close, some can launch torps from bloody miles away whilst effectively being invisible... Some have great AA, some are great at taking on other DD's etc.

But what do I want? I can't have it all at once. I need to decide which parameters I want to prioritize over others but more importantly which lines and perhaps individual tiers or even ships correspond with which? Asking for a complete summary of the strengths, weaknesses and unique perks of certain DD lines over the others is perhaps a lengthy task but if anyone wouldn't mind, even if it's only a summary of perhaps a single nation or if anyone knows of anything similar that I could be redirected to? I would really appreciate it.

I guess at the moment I would prefer longer ranged torps over more powerful or even perhaps faster ones. I would prefer concealment over evasion. I'm not hugely bothered by guns but would again prefer range over potency. As far as tech and consumables go I'm a little unsure as I'm not very experienced with DD's in general. Does the smoke differ much? Do some perhaps have longer duration, more uses or a larger radius? Is the engine boost fairly standardized to all DD's? I hear there's also something like an AA boost as well?

Cheers in advance for any advice guys

[UNICS]
Players
4,320 posts
15,747 battles

If you want to start with dds, I suggest trying the US line. Get to tier 4 - Clemson - stay there and learn the basics of capping, spotting, killing other dds and dodging torps, learning when to smoke up and when to run away. When the basics are in place, you should have a better grip of what torp range, manouverability and concealment do for you and perhaps help you decide which route to go. If you decide to go the obvious Japanese 20 km torp shima route before understanding the basics, you'll at least be in good company.

• Cool 4

[TTTX]
1,492 posts
14,250 battles

Yeah, pick a generalist line and go up to like tier 7 or something.

USN or RN are good in that regard.

RN does require a captain respec for tier 9/10 but the whole line is good.

USN is OK but kind of power creeped currently bu they are a good learning line.

Stay away from IJN DDs for now.

You can also look at the DD focused VMF line (the one that ends with the Grozovoi) for a more guns orientated play style.

Most generalist DD lines do not have very long range torpedoes though with the one exception being the Gearing (USN) with its 16km range at t10.

• Cool 3

Players
1 post
1,960 battles

I am also new with DD game-play and I want to learn before going in serious battles and more demanding DD lines. I started with IJN line (as I see not a good idea) and german line.
So the US line its more for me.
But how about buying a premium one? I want to buy a premium DD good for learning and in the same time to make some credits.
Can you give me, not the best one which is subjective, but at least 3 choices?
Thank you :)

[-SOG-]
Players
404 posts
8,381 battles
On 7/20/2019 at 11:49 AM, Myrmidon19 said:

Asking for a complete summary of the strengths, weaknesses and unique perks of certain DD lines over the others is perhaps a lengthy task but if anyone wouldn't mind

To begin with I would tell you to get to T4 with some nations to get a feeling for it and those are Clemson, Acasta and Isokaze. The USN will teach you how to use smoke, gun down enemy DDs, burn down enemy battleships, RN more of the same but with another version of smoke (quantity instead of length) and the IJN will teach you the art of concealment and stealth torpedoing. 

Regarding the lines they get unique flavours at different tiers, some gimmicks starts at T6, others at T8 and some lines transfer in the middle of the tree. To list them all would be difficult since the previous mentioned transfer on some lines but looking at your preferences I would recommend you the same as previous USN and/or RN and st T8 you will reach Benson and Lightning, to of the most general and versitile destroyers this game has to offer. 

10 hours ago, cutiedeconserva said:

But how about buying a premium one? I want to buy a premium DD good for learning and in the same time to make some credits.
Can you give me, not the best one which is subjective, but at least 3 choices?

It is always hard to recommend anyone to spend their money on a pixel boat cause I don't know how deep your waller is. 

So I will tell you to start by completing the campaign "Honorable Service" since the final reward is the T6 IJN destroyer Shinonome (https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Honorable_Service). 

By looking at your stats it seems you picked the KM line of destroyers so if you have to pick a premium, why not one that can act as both credit earner and captain trainer for the ships you are grinding, i.e a german destroyer.

• Cool 1

Players
55 posts
On 7/20/2019 at 9:33 PM, loppantorkel said:

If you want to start with dds, I suggest trying the US line. Get to tier 4 - Clemson - stay there and learn the basics of capping, spotting, killing other dds and dodging torps, learning when to smoke up and when to run away. When the basics are in place, you should have a better grip of what torp range, manouverability and concealment do for you and perhaps help you decide which route to go. If you decide to go the obvious Japanese 20 km torp shima route before understanding the basics, you'll at least be in good company.

Can you do this too in the very low tiers, I was thinking of getting the Cambeltown, how does she stack up against the opposition?

[UNICS]
Players
4,320 posts
15,747 battles
7 hours ago, FarQ2 said:

Can you do this too in the very low tiers, I was thinking of getting the Cambeltown, how does she stack up against the opposition?

I'm not sure how well you'll learn basic tactics in the very low tiers. I've not played them a lot but the sense I got is that the games are very quick with a lot of yoloing. At tier 4 and up, the games can still be quick but there's enough time, health and consumables to the ships to learn some tactics/strategic gameplay. The current downside at this moment is that tier 4 is plagued by cvs, which can make dd-life irrelevant, should the cv/s focus in on you.

Not sure about Campbeltown. Stats says she's fine. I only have 7 unmemorable games in her. You wouldn't go wrong with silver dds like US Wickes, German G-101 or perhaps the most potent tier 3 dd - the PA Phra Ruang. (Unless balance changes has happened since I've played them)

Sign in to follow this