You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pushi2

[POLL] Great Match but no time left

Generally speaking, how long should a match be?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to reduce, keep or increase the matchtime? (You can select multiple answers)

• I want less than 20 minutes. < 20
    • Keep the 20 minutes. = 20
    • I want more matchtime. > 20
  2. 2. What matchtime do you prefer? (You can select multiple answers.)

• I want matches shorter than 10 minutes.
    • 10 Minutes
    • 15 Minutes
    • 20 Minutes - what we have now.
    • 25 Minutes
    • 30 Minutes
    • 35 Minutes
    • 40 Minutes
    • I want matches longer than 40 Minutes.

23 comments in this topic

[TPB]
Players
60 posts
6,131 battles

I create this post because I often experience great matches ending up abrupt due to no time left. The more tactical the match becomes, the more time is needed. Because of this I would like to increase the matchtime from 20 minutes to 30 minutes.

To see if other people think like I do, I create this poll.

• Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
24,654 posts
13,660 battles

Get a move on.

For agressive tactics you need a time limit or matches get too static.

[-AP-]
Players
2,341 posts
5,705 battles

The timer is a victory condition just as caps and kills are. Include it in your planning and decision making.

• Cool 2

Players
2,106 posts
8,951 battles

Extending the time even further is not going to happen I presume.

They are trying to encourage more aggressive gameplay and that can be done by reducing the time, not extending it.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,715 posts
15,823 battles

Sorry no, I don't want 1 hour slugfests like in LoL, where I can play a max of 2 to 3 games an evening. And while the approx. 7min of a typical WoT battle is a tad too fast, I find the max. 20min in WoWs perfectly fine.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,295 posts
15,733 battles

20 min is good. If game ends before at 15' - that's great too. 5-10' is usually a roflstomp.

I wouldn't mind trying some different mode - perhaps larger scale with longer games, but not in current Random games.

• Cool 1

Players
387 posts
7,779 battles

considering it's not unusual to see 3 or 4 of your team dead within the first 5 minutes then the current 20 minutes is more than long enough

[BODEM]
Players
674 posts
6,313 battles

First, the poll is a bit awkward as you only need the second part. Second, that time limit is necessary to create great games. It forces people to act instead of staying behind and camp. It can also be used strategically to win a seemingly unwinable game. Plus it is a saveguard tgat the match doesn't get drawn out by that one DD that refuses to play and instead goes hide and seek.

[TPB]
Players
60 posts
6,131 battles
Vor 39 Minuten, FukushuNL sagte:

First, the poll is a bit awkward as you only need the second part. Second, that time limit is necessary to create great games. It forces people to act instead of staying behind and camp. It can also be used strategically to win a seemingly unwinable game. Plus it is a saveguard tgat the match doesn't get drawn out by that one DD that refuses to play and instead goes hide and seek.

The POLL is not about timelimit yes/no so there is no need to explain what the timelimit is for... .

Vor 22 Stunden, Palubarac sagte:

They are trying to encourage more aggressive gameplay and that can be done by reducing the time, not extending it.

I do also think that they want to encourage aggressive gameplay over strategic gameplay. As someone said, the typical Joe is going to die in the first 5 minutes. Also the typical Joe want to play casual, and he cant if the match takes too long. But anyway i wanted to ask... .

Thanks for your feedback

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,860 posts
9,421 battles

It's not just about what you might prefer personally. Sometimes I too would have liked a 5min extension when the battle is very close and it could have swung either way given more time.

But the downsides to having longer battles are many:

• Obviously taking more of your time that you might not want to invest in a single battle.
  • If you sink you could be waiting longer to get your ship back.
  • Extending the max time is bound to extend the natural progression of the battle rather than just giving extra time for those battles that was still ongoing at the 20min mark.
  • Given more time some players will obviously play even more passive, which for most players will not be a positive experience.
  • The economy would have to be tweaked to account for less battles played.
  • Losing streaks will be even more noticeable as they take up more of your time.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,019 posts
10,245 battles

I've played chess on and of casually with friends all my life.  Taking it more seriously now and I play online and there's a clock.  I never fully realised just how important the clock is to proper chess, which is surprising given tens of thousands WoT and WoWs games under my belt.

Playing to the clock is very much a part of the game in WoWS, whether it be the overall game timer ot the cap timer in standard mode.  The 20 minutes seems fine to me.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
5,437 posts
22,561 battles

Im fine with 20min most of the time nowdays one team collapses in half that time anyway

@Hedgehog1963 yep tournament chess with time limit is the real way to play chess, even with generous time limit it still makes matchess completely different and opens an entirely different way to play it since it inherently excerts pressure and makes psychological play much more viable

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
674 posts
6,313 battles
29 minutes ago, Pushi2 said:

The POLL is not about timelimit yes/no so there is no need to explain what the timelimit is for... .

I do also think that they want to encourage aggressive gameplay over strategic gameplay. As someone said, the typical Joe is going to die in the first 5 minutes. Also the typical Joe want to play casual, and he cant if the match takes too long. But anyway i wanted to ask... .

Thanks for your feedback

Agreed. But the title does suggest the time limit interfering in the match. And making the time limit that long that it doesn't interfere with the match is the same as removing it outright. So in the end, explaining the reasons why it shouldn't be chanced/taken away is justified. Certainly when the title of the thread suggests shortening the time limit would be worsening the issue. If you wanted an objective answer on what people think of the time limit, not putting a suggestive thread titel like "current time limit: thoughts" would be a better option, so nobody could get out of the titel that you think it's too short. Makers of polls and questionaries have to make sure nothing about their questionairs give people suggestions to guide their answers, and should ask the right questions, to get the right answers. 

[BODEM]
Players
674 posts
6,313 battles
8 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

It's not just about what you might prefer personally. Sometimes I too would have liked a 5min extension when the battle is very close and it could have swung either way given more time.

But the downsides to having longer battles are many:

• Obviously taking more of your time that you might not want to invest in a single battle.
  • If you sink you could be waiting longer to get your ship back.
  • Extending the max time is bound to extend the natural progression of the battle rather than just giving extra time for those battles that was still ongoing at the 20min mark.
  • Given more time some players will obviously play even more passive, which for most players will not be a positive experience.
  • The economy would have to be tweaked to account for less battles played.
  • Losing streaks will be even more noticeable as they take up more of your time.

Plus having a fixed end that is the same in every match will have people play with that knowledge and act accordingly. Change the time and people will change their gameplay style and in the end you'll end up with the same dilemma. And changing the end time midgame will only favor the losing side, which isn't fair to those that played for the 20 minute time limit.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,796 posts
6,612 battles

To a degree, the total time allowed is not that important - how many games go to the actual limit, not many, I have no idea what that % would be. OI do agree that if you are having a good battle then enjoy it for as long as you can, but something enjoyable for you may not have been as enjoyable for others (in a good or bad way - we all make mistakes!) and they will want their ship back :)

[L4GG]
Players
2,658 posts
9,798 battles
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:04 AM, Palubarac said:

Crossout, the typical match  it's about 3 minutes.

World of Warships, the typical match it's about 20 minutes.

The differences are night and day, crossout it's much more dynamic, action packed than WoWS.

In comparison, in crossout there are games that are finished before a ship goes from the spawning area to when the first detection by his own on by somebody else happens.

Not only things happen much more slowly in WoWS but there are more factors that came into play.

- WoWS it's an unforgiving game (when compared with crossout or any other game I play )

- Being a team game but without good communication or combined efforts if we exclude voice communication in divisions.

- the nature of the thing itself, sea warfare, historically they used a much tactical approach.

So yes, more time pls or no time at all. (for me)

[MORIA]
Players
7,162 posts
33,559 battles
56 minutes ago, philjd said:

To a degree, the total time allowed is not that important - how many games go to the actual limit, not many, I have no idea what that % would be. OI do agree that if you are having a good battle then enjoy it for as long as you can, but something enjoyable for you may not have been as enjoyable for others (in a good or bad way - we all make mistakes!) and they will want their ship back :)

1-2%

[TPB]
Players
60 posts
6,131 battles

Well it's true. Most of the matches I do not hit the timelimit. But in perhaps 10% of the matches it is the case. And I like tactical matches.

People missunderstand that tactical does not mean camping! Tactical to me means: oh left flank needs help. I assist left. Than I see the right flank needs help, I drive right. And after all that I could move forward, but oh damit time is up. 

The first 2 minutes of the match terminate where the whole fleet is driving to. So if you know during the first minutes where the enemy main fleet is pointing at, you will generally know how this is going to end. More time, does also mean more flexibility. You increase the ability to move over the map. 

Yes it is true, more time means also longer waittime when u sunk and you only want to play that one ship. Thats indeed the downside to this.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,105 posts
18,856 battles

You do realize the one thing keeping CVs from killing the entire enemy team right now is time?

[MORIA]
Players
7,162 posts
33,559 battles
12 minutes ago, Lebedjev said:

FALSE !

We all know, if we extend the timer, cv will runout of plane. :Smile_trollface:

Ehm 

grumpy-cat-clipart-nope-17.jpg