Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CS_Hubert

We are killing the fun

21 comments in this topic

[NN_DK]
[NN_DK]
Players
16 posts
3,183 battles

Not sure if this is the right place...

Tonight I was confronted by a team member who did not agree on how I fought with my Montana. He was in a tier 9 and on the opposite section of the team, and his section was in a bad spot compared to mine. At the end we won and though I only did about 60k damage (not enough I agree) I did my part in ranged support and general AA protection with my section but I was in no position to move to his section or help in any capacity without leaving my area and thereby leaving my section vulnerable. Some battles goes like this (more often in a big BB) - you get caught in one side and have to stick to that. But the fun leaves when the player disagreeing with my choice keeps ranting (hes dead so he has his fingers free to do that) about it. In my game that was quite the fun killer and I'm wondering if I am the only thin-skinned player here saying this behavior is killing the fun in this game?        

• Angry 1

Players
208 posts
4,460 battles

To answer your question, nope!

In a CO-OP battle, yes you read right friends, I needed 200XP to get my final container for the day and was fed up, I had  a Normandie complain because I left him with 2 BBs to kill each with under 10k HP, to go and kill a Scharnhorst in our base on my own.  He ranted about me taking a slot that a "useful player" could have filled.

I was 2nd in the team, 4 defended ribbons, 2 kills, blah blah blah, I just ignored him!

And that's all you can do at times.

Edited by Logan_MountStuart
incomplete
  • Cool 2

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,214 posts
6,187 battles

You can mute him, but also do some self reflection. Sometimes the rant is caused by dissapointment, so it contains the truth, but it is also possible that the guy is just a potatoe.

[NN_DK]
[NN_DK]
Players
16 posts
3,183 battles

He was telling the truth - I was on on the wrong line, but I could not change without leaving my section weak. The point being - I was annoyed with it though I knew 1) he was to some degree right and 2) I couldnt change it. The sum being he was killing the fun in a space where no decisions could be changed

Players
1,437 posts
17,658 battles

It's always annoying having those kind of people ranting away.

There are times where I see people making mistakes and I offer advice to them, but always in a polite manner because your more likely to get a positive response if you do it in a reasonable way. 

I also know what you mean about being stuck in a bad situation, sometimes you know your not where you ought  to be, but due to your starting positions or how the battle unfolded its less than ideal. 

One of the very few times someone really got to me was in a situation like that where our spotting DD died and no one else on my flank would support a push so as a battleship I tried to reposition which our DD on the other flank took exception too and sailed all the way across the map to try and team kill me and the other guys on our flank. That being said the whole battle situation was poor and I was half way through prosecuting a really nasty rape trial so was more easily annoyed than usual. But our DDs behaviour really didn't help my attitude, the team or anything really except the red team of course. 

• Cool 1

[TSSU]
Players
150 posts
2 hours ago, CS_Hubert said:

Not sure if this is the right place...

Tonight I was confronted by a team member who did not agree on how I fought with my Montana. He was in a tier 9 and on the opposite section of the team, and his section was in a bad spot compared to mine. At the end we won and though I only did about 60k damage (not enough I agree) I did my part in ranged support and general AA protection with my section but I was in no position to move to his section or help in any capacity without leaving my area and thereby leaving my section vulnerable. Some battles goes like this (more often in a big BB) - you get caught in one side and have to stick to that. But the fun leaves when the player disagreeing with my choice keeps ranting (hes dead so he has his fingers free to do that) about it. In my game that was quite the fun killer and I'm wondering if I am the only thin-skinned player here saying this behavior is killing the fun in this game?        

To be honest, while I used to pay attention, I wouldn't give a flying crap what was said now.

1) Carry a team with 260k dmg, sinking 4 and getting your records for dmg, xp and more - to save game? Nothing. No compliments. Do it by killing 7 with ship record (okay,start of game i had bad position, but come on... that's an epic fight back with solo warrior to win a totally lost game). Nothing. Not even a +1.

2) Come top on losing team losing by a snifter and getting as much, or more xp, than winning team top? Get a -1 rep or get abuse from team mates.

3) Kill an enemy while on winning team who rushed in with their Hindy launching 2x spreads from each side (4 sets of torps) at 5km and still dies to your GK? -1 for their idiocy as they think they should easy kill you because.. i've no idea why.

4) Team mates in dd's hiding behind dd's at spawn and throwing insults at you for not providing AA (they're not even attacked) - have a -1 and ... you get the idea.

I wish some youtubers had a bit more about their positioning and what makes their decisions in order to learn from - but that's not what their videos are for :D  In all honesty, I'd ignore what most people say in game - because even idiots like me have the ability to "chat" within the game. It doesn't mean they're right, it doesn't mean they're experienced, it doesn't mean their comments are valid.

And that especially includes if you meet me and I'm annoyed :D :D :D

Just do your best, get pissed at dispersion and so on, and try to have fun - but... don't ever expect to make happy times for all. I'm at best below average at this game, but even in games where I've been a superstar and carried a team... I've still got -1 and abuse for *reasons* (meaning, who knows why and who cares).

• Cool 2

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,301 posts
15,666 battles

When some one rant about me being in the wrong place I try to tell the back: "You should have said that X minutes ago." (X being longer than the game has lasted.) "Too late" also works well when "advice" is given halfway through the game.

I decide at start where I'm going and what I'm trying to do and that's all I CAN do. No one has the ability to look into the future and it's easy to say after the fact what should have been done.

As Jingles says: "Should've, could've, didn't."

Funny how many who thinks I have time to type long messages in chatt while fighting a battle. "Busy here" is my standard answer to those. When I see it, I'd rather read the map than chatt.

I had a game tonight were I'm in the Zao. No DDs and just me and a "Wooster" spawn on our side. The Wooster doesn't do anything so I decide to go scout. (Two Brothers) Get caught out by one Moskva, one DM and one Republiqe. I died and the Wooster sits behind his island spamming HE. I didn't know what was comming and neither did the rest of my team but someone has to go scout to find out and since no one else did it....

I've could've just waited like everybody else but I'm not that type of guy. We won but I died. I didn't get reported, flamed in chatt or anything like that but I lost credits and had a bad game because I did what had to be done.

What does this have to do with this topic? Sometimes you have to do something "bad", because you didn't know five minutes ago that it was going to be bad ("Oh s*it a Yama!) or you know it's going to be bad but it has to be done so you do it anyway. When I see someone go down like that my thought is: "Well, at least he tried." and sometimes I give a compliment if it turns out that his actions lead to something good (and if I remember to). But I have nothing but contempt for those who sit and wait for the team to do the all the hard work before they decide to join in. My 2lt. used to say: "It's better to act than to react." Meaning doing something is better than doing nothing, no matter what you are doing.

Once I tried to get a guy to join the fight instead of camping on an Island. He after the game: "I didn't do anything wrong!" Me: "That's only because you didn't do anything!" "Perhaps you should spend less time in chatt and more time in game." is also a favorite. But I digress.

Something I've learned in this game is there are no "Sure way". I.e. No one can say "Do this and you'll win." What works in one situation might not work in the next and the only one that knows what works for you, IS you. And how good can they be playing if they have time to watch how you play? ("You play your ship and I'll play mine".)

I've learned that you shouldn't listen to what some guy rant about in chatt. I "talk back" much less nowadays mostly because I know that it won't solve anything. When seeing guys like this, all I do is report if there's VERY foul language or namecalling. Then I block them in chatt and after the game I blacklist them. "Don't feed the trolls" is a good rule. Let them hurt themselves in their anger. On the other hand, a calm "voice" in chatt with an advice that you might not have thought of before is worth listening to. It might not save this match, but perhaps the next.

Players
186 posts
1,087 battles

In real life it's impossible to meet hundreds of people a day, in video games it's normal, statistically some of them have to be douchebags, just ignore it.
Imagine playing a game of tennis 25 times in one evening with 500 different people, some of them would be douchebags too.
Difference is tennis games don't have mute buttons, video games do.

[OILUP]
Players
185 posts
3 hours ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

In real life it's impossible to meet hundreds of people a day, in video games it's normal, statistically some of them have to be douchebags, just ignore it.
Imagine playing a game of tennis 25 times in one evening with 500 different people, some of them would be douchebags too.
Difference is tennis games don't have mute buttons, video games do.

Only as a game is dying down it's akin to a clogged drain it's full of rot when you hit bottom.

[BBMM]
Players
5,536 posts
6,706 battles

If you want to give them a heart attack, just go "what?"a few times.

Then at the end of the game you put in your most broken English:

"sori doe note speek Inglis veri goot, i understent noting". 

Then have a laugh when they try starting a personal conversation with you. 

Yeeessss I have zero karma, how did you guess? :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
395 posts
7,840 battles

had a couple of BBs do it to me yesterday in public chat, discussing with the enemy team who was to blame(obviously me) for the impending loss, of course it wasn't the BBs white lining it up the outside of the cap behind and island.....oh no it was me of course resetting the cap time after time whilst they just died with no real meaningful contribution, they thought i should have killed an Alsace and F.D.G. single handed in my balti...... pretty funny actually

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,536 posts
6,706 battles
4 minutes ago, illy said:

had a couple of BBs do it to me yesterday in public chat, discussing with the enemy team who was to blame(obviously me) for the impending loss, of course it wasn't the BBs white lining it up the outside of the cap behind and island.....oh no it was me of course resetting the cap time after time whilst they just died with no real meaningful contribution, they thought i should have killed an Alsace and F.D.G. single handed in my balti...... pretty funny actually

Wuuutttt no ramming flag? I thought that was compulsory, starting friday afternoon and ending monday morning! :fish_nerv:

• Funny 1

Players
395 posts
7,840 battles
4 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Wuuutttt no ramming flag? I thought that was compulsory, starting friday afternoon and ending monday morning! :fish_nerv:

watched Flambass vid the other day and he rammed a cruiser in the gap in Two Brothers and survived in his CV.....utterly hilarious

[BBMM]
Players
5,536 posts
6,706 battles
3 minutes ago, illy said:

watched Flambass vid the other day and he rammed a cruiser in the gap in Two Brothers and survived in his CV.....utterly hilarious

I posted my replay under it, we went through the channel in a T8CV almost a month earlier. :Smile_trollface:

It was good to watch though, mega-lol. 

• Funny 1

[OILUP]
Players
185 posts
1 hour ago, illy said:

Without a ramming flag even i once had a dd ram my cv only to kill himself. Gave him karma at how bad i felt for him. How did WG [edited]ramming anyway?

• Funny 2

Players
186 posts
1,087 battles

There is an option in aslains mod pack to remove chat entirely, might actually get it myself because I am done having BBs demand I rush (=go die in) a cap circle with no backup. Sounds like a great option if you still see targets being called out etc.

Sign in to follow this