Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Weikath_

ST, Italian cruisers tier VIII-X and Genova, tier V

33 comments in this topic

WG Staff
10 posts

The characteristics of these ships are currently in the balancing stage. We will publish further details in the near future.

WG_SPB_WoWs_Screenshots_Ships_Verona_1920x1080.jpg

WG_SPB_WoWs_Screenshots_Ships_Torino_1920x1080.jpg

WG_SPB_WoWs_Screenshots_Ships_Milano_1920x1080.jpg

WG_SPB_WoWs_Screenshots_Ships_Genova_1920x1080.jpg

• Cool 7

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
23 minutes ago, lafeel said:

15 203mm guns? Thats some serious alpha there..

In before 20 seconds base reload :Smile_trollface:

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,261 posts
4,988 battles
14 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

We shall see..

[-YR-]
Players
594 posts
59 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

And there is the question mark about range and dispersion… 

We will see but honestly not very optimistic.

No radar OK

No def AA … OK

No Hydro.. WTF 

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,366 posts
17,398 battles

I am really looking forwards to that tier X. And I heard someone saying that another Stalingrad/Yoshino photocopy was going to be more interesting that a 15 gun broadside. Ha!

• Bad 1

Players
138 posts

Why those absurd names? The famous sea of Milano, Torino and Verona... None of these cities has the sea!

You could choose between glorious names like Scipione l'Africano, Federico da Montefeltro, Federico Sforza, Lorenzo de' Medici, and lots of others warlords. 

• Cool 3

Players
439 posts
5,436 battles

Verona is my favourite Italian city and Milan has my favourite cathedral but these names are so wrong for Italian ships. There are dozens of names you could have chosen - famous ports, famous explorers.

Change, please?

• Cool 2

[MORIA]
Players
7,206 posts
33,727 battles
5 hours ago, Duke_of_Genoa said:

Why those absurd names? The famous sea of Milano, Torino and Verona... None of these cities has the sea!

You could choose between glorious names like Scipione l'Africano, Federico da Montefeltro, Federico Sforza, Lorenzo de' Medici, and lots of others warlords. 

They chose the most simple to say ones. 

• Cool 1

Players
439 posts
5,436 battles
3 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

They chose the most simple to say ones. 

Like Emanuele Filiberto Duca d'Aosta and Duca degli Abruzzi?

• Funny 2

[-YR-]
Players
594 posts

I have a lot of doubt about this WG design.

The absence of HE make them weak against BB. You can't set them on fire from the distance, UK cruisers have the same issue BUT they have good smoke, fast rate of fire and good torps.

This ships seems very long and therefore I imagine a big citadel and probably a mediocre turning circle.

Basically they seems to be big DD hunters BUT with no hydro. So how do you push a cap? Don't know really,

I know is only a preliminary design BUT in the current meta I don't see how this ships can perform well, unless the developers give to the guns good accuracy and an above average range. 

[T-N-T]
Players
3,505 posts
15,802 battles
1 hour ago, gustywinds said:

Like Emanuele Filiberto Duca d'Aosta and Duca degli Abruzzi?

Diference is those are not paper ships. So not too much choice of names (maybe some of their sisterships have simpler names?).

On paperships, the choice was theirs. And for the record, I also find those famous city names questionnable on ships (although to a certain Alyssa, her surname's resurgence in various media lately might be flattering :fish_haloween:).

6 minutes ago, Alfa_Tau said:

I have a lot of doubt about this WG design.

The absence of HE make them weak against BB. You can't set them on fire from the distance, UK cruisers have the same issue BUT they have good smoke, fast rate of fire and good torps.

This ships seems very long and therefore I imagine a big citadel and probably a mediocre turning circle.

Basically they seems to be big DD hunters BUT with no hydro. So how do you push a cap? Don't know really,

I know is only a preliminary design BUT in the current meta I don't see how this ships can perform well, unless the developers give to the guns good accuracy and an above average range. 

Didn't they mention in the Thursday stream that the italian cruisers will be unusually manoevrable? (Honestly with their size, they kinda have to be. On a number of maps, they couldn't navigate without grounding otherwise.)

Players
138 posts
11 minutes ago, Toivia said:

On paperships, the choice was theirs. And for the record, I also find those famous city names questionnable on ships

There are so many possible names in Italian. Navigators, poets, kings, warriors, leaders.

I can understand Roma (the current capital city), Torino (the old capital city) and the "unredeemed cities" (Bolzano, Trento, etcetera).

But Verona and Milano are meaningless, completely invented and they have absolutely no connection with the history of the Italian Navy.

• Cool 4

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,334 posts
12,810 battles
On 7/20/2019 at 11:34 PM, Duke_of_Genoa said:

But Verona and Milano are meaningless, completely invented and they have absolutely no connection with the history of the Italian Navy.

Well during testing the french T10 BB was named simply "France" so perhaps theres a chance for a change before release.

[T-N-T]
Players
3,505 posts
15,802 battles

There was indeed quite an uproar against "France". Ironically I was defending that name and still find it better than the eventual "République". But oh well.

Let's just say that I am far less knowledgeable about italian naming conventions yet I trust the guys not happy with the current T8-10 ITA cruisers. If anything, those inland city names do not even fit the names used on other italian cruisers at all.

So I think there is hope indeed for some more inspired naming.

• Cool 1

[-MMI-]
Players
13 posts
10,792 battles

I really love them, but my biggest concern is for the T8-9-10 names: all 3 of them are terribily wrong for RM ships: Milano, Torino and even Verona are not maritime cities, hence not suitable to be names of Italian ships, as is tradition. Others like Trento, Bolzano or Vittorio Veneto are exceptions, but only because of the irredentism of the time.

Those 3 have been Italian cities from the very start, in 1861 (heck, Torino, my city, has been the Reign first capital). Zara, Pola, Fiume, Trieste etc etc became Italians only after 1918, provocative names that were inspiring and desired to be used on cruisers by the regime for propagandistic reasons. All heavy cruisers, in fact, bear names from those locations across the Adriatic sea.

They go against every Regia Marina naming convention, it would be like naming the new T9 US BB Ohio, instead of a State, a City like USS Minneapolis or Boston, or naming the Conqueror Liverpool. It’s just wrong, and outrageous considering WG should just have put a bit of time on the naming choice.

There are far better alternatives, like Napoli, Bari, Venezia, you name it. Even if it didn’t come from a newly annexed territory, it would feel far better than those 3 cities.
I just hope they will reconsider all 3 of them, I love their designs and I’m glad the 3×3 254mm Ansaldo project can be added as another T10, but please please please, inform the developers about these errors, they seriously break the immersion for us naval enthusiasts.

Players
964 posts
11,851 battles
3 hours ago, TomsonPRD said:

or naming the Conqueror Liverpool.

There was a HMS Liverpool though it was a Town Class Light Cruiser in service from 1938 till 1952 when it was decommissioned. That would be why WG wouldn't pick that name anyway cause the 2 ships in theory would have been in service around the same time.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Funny thing here is, those guns might not be 203mm caliber.

Supposedly in 1936 the italian engineering company Ansaldo proposed a heavy cruiser design to the russians that would see an armament of 3x3 250mm/55 main guns. Imagine for a second the tier X were equipped with 15 250mm guns :cap_rambo:

Players
341 posts
6,884 battles
6 minuti fa, Aotearas ha scritto:

Funny thing here is, those guns might not be 203mm caliber.

Supposedly in 1936 the italian engineering company Ansaldo proposed a heavy cruiser design to the russians that would see an armament of 3x3 250mm/55 main guns. Imagine for a second the tier X were equipped with 15 250mm guns :cap_rambo:

An Italian ship  with such a unique and potentially OP distinctive trait? NEVER! NEVER!

Sign in to follow this