Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NikolayKuznetsov

First T10 ship

11 comments in this topic

Players
163 posts
871 battles

I am so poor now I can't put my 17pt ivan the terrible in her or buy the upgrades, but I bought my favorite ship in the game.

fux5cg.jpg

Buying the rogue wave perma camo for it, I already know i will like her because I enjoyed everything about Russian DDs except their short range torps, she has decent torps.
Got her in two weeks time because wargaming was nice enough to send me loads of XP camos & signals over the 2 years that my account was inactive.

Build will be almost full gunboat (PT - LS - SE - AFT - SI - BFT - DE) but with Concealment System Modification in slot 5 to keep the concealment somewhat reasonable for a DD at 6.7Km
Am looking forward to 14.5km range & 3.0s reload with the legend upgrade.

• Cool 2

Players
9,359 posts
10,991 battles
21 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

I am so poor now I can't put my 17pt ivan the terrible in her or buy the upgrades, but I bought my favorite ship in the game.

fux5cg.jpg

Buying the rogue wave perma camo for it, I already know i will like her because I enjoyed everything about Russian DDs except their short range torps, she has decent torps.
Got her in two weeks time because wargaming was nice enough to send me loads of XP camos & signals over the 2 years that my account was inactive.

Build will be almost full gunboat (PT - LS - SE - AFT - SI - BFT - DE) but with Concealment System Modification in slot 5 to keep the concealment somewhat reasonable for a DD at 6.7Km
Am looking forward to 14.5km range & 3.0s reload with the legend upgrade.

Groz is more of a hybrid than all out gunboat, CE on her helps greatly, bringing camo to 6.0km. 

And build you've mentioned in terms of captain skills IS THE gunboat build you'd put on Kebab or preceding destroyers.

Players
163 posts
871 battles
5 minutes ago, Panocek said:

And build you've mentioned in terms of captain skills IS THE gunboat build you'd put on Kebab or preceding destroyers.

Wouldn't khaba get AR instead of LS and steering gears instead of concealment module? The intent here was mostly gunboat but still somewhat DD.

Players
9,359 posts
10,991 battles
8 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Wouldn't khaba get AR instead of LS and steering gears instead of concealment module? The intent here was mostly gunboat but still somewhat DD.

Khaba, like true DD, loses engine and rudder every time she gets spotted... And she is constantly spotted:cap_tea: Also she is only DD where steering gears (both mods) are mandatory

"mostly gunboat" for Groz would look something like this

Przechwytywanie.png

with last two points going into AR. This build gives almost everything you would want in Groz. BFT would be nice, but I find additional heal, Engine Boost and DFAA more useful than 0.3s quicker reload, which already is at 3.5s thanks to upgrade

AFT gives 14.8km range, enough to some open water jackassery, CE + camo mod gives competetive 6km detection for cap contests

[SM0KE]
Players
4,854 posts
11,844 battles

FWIW this is the captain build I run on my Groz:

image.png.cbff15436edf8e9d40676307f1183f8f.png

I tend to find that being able to be a bit sneaky helps quite a lot; many will take AFT for the extra range - I don't because I find the gains (my aim isn't hugely good, so I miss a lot at extreme ranges) aren't enough to warrant the extra visibility when I fire. That's just me though - if you can shoot straight, AFT becomes a lot more worthwhile.

I have these modules mounted at present:

image.png.2a4fa55103f0e322eab029e8f34bc288.png

If the CV numbers remain low, I'll probably switch out at least one of the AA modules, if not both.

Essentially my build is aimed at being as versatile as possible (not entirely torp or gun focused, but 'good enough' at both), whilst being able to give the poor-average CV player a really unpleasant shock if they get within range. I have tried running the LU, but found that the extra dakka wasn't enough to make up for the gimping of the torps, or the loss to AA firepower, *but* that was before planes got horribly nerfed (although the latter is still in flux obviously).

That's not to say what I'm doing is 'right', but rather to present an alternative for consideration.

• Cool 2

Players
163 posts
871 battles
20 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

That's not to say what I'm doing is 'right', but rather to present an alternative for consideration.

Thank you

I love the ship as much as I hoped I would, my only regret is the rogue wave camo, I think the camo looks cool and the benefits are obvious but the guns sound like im farting in a can. Is there any way to enable this camo but keep stock gun sound? Or is there a mod for this?

• Cool 1

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
152 posts
15,871 battles
25 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

FWIW this is the captain build I run on my Groz:

image.png.cbff15436edf8e9d40676307f1183f8f.png

I tend to find that being able to be a bit sneaky helps quite a lot; many will take AFT for the extra range - I don't because I find the gains (my aim isn't hugely good, so I miss a lot at extreme ranges) aren't enough to warrant the extra visibility when I fire. That's just me though - if you can shoot straight, AFT becomes a lot more worthwhile.

I have these modules mounted at present:

image.png.2a4fa55103f0e322eab029e8f34bc288.png

If the CV numbers remain low, I'll probably switch out at least one of the AA modules, if not both.

Essentially my build is aimed at being as versatile as possible (not entirely torp or gun focused, but 'good enough' at both), whilst being able to give the poor-average CV player a really unpleasant shock if they get within range. I have tried running the LU, but found that the extra dakka wasn't enough to make up for the gimping of the torps, or the loss to AA firepower, *but* that was before planes got horribly nerfed (although the latter is still in flux obviously).

This is probably the best setup for the Grozo. 

• Cool 1

Players
163 posts
871 battles

AFT is the best skill for me, my situational awareness is still potato but my aim is good, I hit dodging DDs from 14.5km away, if I am using the russian 130s obviously, dont think I could do it with any other guns. I will try your build though to get a feel for concealment expert.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
4,854 posts
11,844 battles
36 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

AFT is the best skill for me, my situational awareness is still potato but my aim is good, I hit dodging DDs from 14.5km away, if I am using the russian 130s obviously, dont think I could do it with any other guns. I will try your build though to get a feel for concealment expert.

If you can shoot straight, AFT becomes a lot more worthwhile (especially so if you're keen on the 'superglue left mouse button down' school of gunboating); the balance of decision for you may well be rather finer than for me.

I would mention that if AFT did anything useful for AA purposes, I might reconsider my build - some extra reach on Groz's AA would be nice, but it doesn't do that any more...

Players
163 posts
871 battles
8 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

If you can shoot straight, AFT becomes a lot more worthwhile (especially so if you're keen on the 'superglue left mouse button down' school of gunboating); the balance of decision for you may well be rather finer than for me.

I would mention that if AFT did anything useful for AA purposes, I might reconsider my build - some extra reach on Groz's AA would be nice, but it doesn't do that any more...

15pct more AA DPS though, well 30pct if you factor DefAA, I really like the AFT skill. I will try a more typical build with the 1st august free captain skill respec.
Could someone please point me in the right direction to change the gun sounds on this rogue wave camo, so my guns no longer sound like I am farting in a can xP
Please tell me theres mods for this, it sounds so retarded. PRRRT PRRRRRT, guns dont sound like that.

[SM0KE]
Players
4,854 posts
11,844 battles
4 hours ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

15pct more AA DPS though, well 30pct if you factor DefAA, I really like the AFT skill.

I used to think more highly of it when it increased the range of your AA - it's rather a neutered version now.

My feeling is that it's only worth taking if your secondaries or main battery justify it alone for anti-surface work, with the AA just a somewhat worthwhile bonus. Four captain points is far too much otherwise.

IMO of course.

Sign in to follow this