You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pincopallino945

Yoshino or Salem?

75 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
229 posts
9,012 battles

buy yoshino grind des moines, differences to salem are minor and not worth the coal imo

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,001 posts
10,855 battles

Two absolutely different ships which hardly have anything in common ... 

Yoshino is probably the ultimate longrange-HE-Spammer

Salem as a worse DesMoines clone is the fast firing close to midrange supporter.

I would say think about what suits your playstyle best before you spend the coal.

Regarding hardfacts i support @SgtTincan: DesMoines is better than Salem in every aspect.

• Cool 2

[AMOK]
Players
1,914 posts
8,344 battles

Difficult to give you any advice beside the on you got from The_pillager since your profile is hidden. Personally i would never get a Salem since i own a DesMo and i think she is better. In case of Yoshino i am not sure how difficult it is to make her a good performer.

• Cool 1

[G-S-W]
Players
433 posts

The torpedo setup of competently used Yoshinos allows you to make many new friends and explode on the I line from reflected damage. That's pretty unique gameplay.

• Funny 11

Players
9,378 posts
11,000 battles

Primary question, you want credit printer or just fun tier 10 boat? T10 premiums, that is Yoshino, Stalingrad and Salem does NOT  have improved credit earnings, all they have is tier 10 premium paint, giving 20% extra credits and halving their maintenance cost (which is already halved, so you pay 45k per battle). Any money they generate comes from next to no expenses:Smile_smile:

If you want credit printer, then Jean Bart or Georgia.

Yoshino is almost entirely long range HE slinging large cruiser with meaty torpedo complement, both meme 20km torps and actually usable 12km ones but her extra high citadel makes her very punishing when someone gets a glimpse of your citadel.

Salem is literally Des Moines with consumables reshuffled and no short range AA. She has British lol heal, making her arguably better at surface combat but loses on Radar, having only 8.5km range. On other hand, Salem can replace radar with hydro, which enables you to have DFAA and hydro at the same time

• Cool 2

[HEATH]
Players
226 posts
19,652 battles

If u do Coop, take Salem. Is my ship of choice for grinding daily missions on coop or other tasks witch can be made faster in coop. The rapid fire, good AP, very good heal, will help u get 2-3 kills and some 90-100k dmg (90k+ silver credits profit with no premium account or other economic bonuses). For the other options, what forum mates say.

[BBMM]
Players
5,530 posts
6,685 battles

I'm currently at the same point, I do play CB too - so my guess is I should take Salem. 

Am I wrong? No CV, usually short distance, and the RN meh-heal. :Smile_unsure:

IMO Yoshino is sort of like Zao. Great torps, but quite 'blappable'. 

[BLITZ]
Players
2,783 posts
10,461 battles
37 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Salem does NOT  have improved credit earnings

Kind of funny that this false information is still around. I guess that's LWM's "fault".

Salem used to have a Type 10 camouflage, but it got changed to Type 20 quite a while ago.

Players
9,378 posts
11,000 battles
4 minutes ago, B0Tato said:

Kind of funny that this false information is still around.

Salem used to have a worse permouflage, but I has been brought in line with the other tier ten ones quite a while ago.

You know, talking what properties Salem camouflage had during battle of Wateroo is of little relevance today besides some trivia:Smile_smile:

Salem, just like other T10 prems doesn't have increased credit coefficient like other premium ships, they rely entirely on their permanent camo to do the job

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,225 posts
14,240 battles

Hi all,

1 hour ago, Pincopallino945 said:

Hi all, I own an amount of coal; I do not know if it is better Yoshino or Salem.

Which of two do you suggest?

I got" Yoshino".

Then I will get "Georgia" and only after that "Salem" (since I already have "Des Moines").

Please note that in September there is WoWs anniversary and it pays to have as much  Tier X as possible... :Smile_coin:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 7

Players
2,997 posts

I don't have the Des Moines, but I did get the Salem so I cannot really compare the two but I will say when I do take her out I enjoy here a lot, I have played witha forumite who does have the Yoshino and if I remember correctly his opinion of it was not that impressive.

[NED]
Players
2,013 posts
7,716 battles

The correct answer is smolensk.

Yoshino if the azuma is anything to go by is thoroughly meh and the Salem is a des moines with a worse radar and better heal but not different enough to be a must have ship.

Smolenks however is also a upcoming coal ship that has smoke and low caliber rapid fire guns.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,530 posts
6,685 battles
23 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

Yoshino if the azuma is anything to go by is thoroughly meh and the Salem is a des moines with a worse radar and better heal but not different enough to be a must have ship.

Smolenks however is also a upcoming coal ship that has smoke and low caliber rapid fire guns.

Well, it will take me a while yet to come to DM - and with Salem I'll be able to use it profitably in TX, too.

Grind credits instead of losing them (as will be the case with DM, I fear). 

That nerfed range of Smolensk is not really what I'm looking for either... :Smile_playing: I want to kill DDs.

Players
3,130 posts
10,025 battles
36 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

Can not wait.....

And no the Salam isn't worth it if you already have a Des. Especially if you play CB's. 

I would also argue about why get the Yoshi if you already have a Zao...Its better at what is does IMHO. 

• Cool 1

Players
9,378 posts
11,000 battles
36 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

And then she lost main gun range as well IFHE nerf looms on the horizon. Not that standard issue, Russian, Bias, mk.130 benefits much from it at tier 10 though.

1 minute ago, Redcap375 said:

I would also argue about why get the Yoshi if you already have a Zoa...

Yoshie sort of straddles gap between Zao and IFHEnri, with issues of her own, so...

just-because-you-are-unique-doesnt-mean-

• Funny 1

Players
3,130 posts
10,025 battles

4 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Yoshie sort of straddles gap between Zao and IFHEnri, with issues of her own, so...

just-because-you-are-unique-doesnt-mean-

Which i get. But if you have the Zao and/or the Henri, whats the point? That's my view anyway. 

Things like the Colbert and the Smolensk is something completely different at tier 10.  THAT is worth spending coal/steel. Or the Grad that is better then the Moska, THAT is worth it. But something that isn't either that different or stronger then the silver line? Whats the point. 

Just my own view mate.

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles

this kind of questions are always hard to answer because they are totally 2 different play style.

but if we compare it to their silver contraparts we can see that Salem and DM are on pair (DM is stronger in competitive game play and Salem in random)

Yoshino is just worst zao in any stats compared even in torpedo usefulness.

[MORIA]
Players
7,198 posts
33,658 battles

Yoshino is easier to play. Doesn't need any good island position. On Salem and DM you must find a good position.

Players
3,130 posts
10,025 battles
4 hours ago, Pincopallino945 said:

Hi all, I own an amount of coal; I do not know if it is better Yoshino or Salem.

Which of two do you suggest?

So save your coal mate and get the Zao/Henri and Des instead. Look for another ship that is worth the spending of all that coal. 

That's my advice. 

Players
9,378 posts
11,000 battles
13 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

Which i get. But if you have the Zao and/or the Henri, whats the point? That's my view anyway. 

Things like the Colbert and the Smolensk is something completely different at tier 10.  THAT is worth spending coal/steel. Or the Grad that is better then the Moska, THAT is worth it. But something that isn't either that different or stronger then the silver line? Whats the point. 

Just my own view mate.

You know, if Yoshie or Salem were better than silver ships, forums and REEEddit would be up and arms chanting "p2w" in unison. On other hand, the best reload (and thus dpm?) among large cruisers as well meaty torpedo complement make Yoshino "unique enough" IMO.

And again, DD caliber guns on T10 cruiser, even with IFHE isn't going to be terribly effective besides flamethrower experience.

• Cool 1

Players
6,410 posts
245 battles

(Note if you havent played tier 8 9 10 with non standard ships (premium ships) then don't bother otherwise people will be abusive to you (because you effectively bring the teams chances down by one ship, due to how hard higher tiers is at not messing up)

Georgy and bean bart for creditz.

Salem if you dont want nasty random citadels (avoiding sailing broadside), and a gud heal, although dpm isn't as good as des memes (bigger gun caliber)

Yoshy if you like braindead 20km torp spam and starting fires while getting mostly overpens and citadels from enemy ships. Has good dpm doe.

Salem is harder to play though, positioning is far more important for its gameplay style, while the yoshi really can't brawl due to poor armour and dpm (yeah it has torps but its mostly a trade unless enemy f's up).

neither tier 10 makes good amounts of money so its better, to get georgy or jeany for credits (both are good ships).

I would hold on to your coal untill something else arrives, although i would say zao is a better yoshi and salem is still pretty decent compared to des memes.

[TEC]
Beta Tester
188 posts

Also getting a Smolensk.

Makes no sense to use coal for a Salem, when you can research a +90% identical ship in the tech tree.