Sign in to follow this  
samuelx43a

Returning sailor here

13 comments in this topic

[B0TS]
Players
12 posts
1,468 battles

howdy! so I did not touch this game for the longest of times, did one battle in january and then left this, reason being the land folk still drag me in from time to time...

the reason why I came back is ironically from azur lane, that waifu boaty game, got me back into ships for now, and will see how long it will last!

anyway, I only have a couple questions, so I won't bother you much.

is the IJN BB line still a good one to go through? the reason why I'm doing so is because of the yamato, but also of the many many historical ships that do exist in this game. (grinding the cruiser line too)

are there any other lines that you can recommend? I promise I'll stay away from destroyers, I know that they require very high amounts of skill to work properly, and I'm nowhere even that level yet.

Is there anywhwere where I can post some of my replays(that I learnt today that they are always enabled) so that the awesome pros of this game can give me advice? I only have done two battles, and were both very quick wins, and a small pool, so I will wait to ger more results(I'll put them here anyway in case you want to see how the team carried me :P)

best of luck in your incoming battles and best of RNG! (because "everyone" loves a good RNG, innit...)

I'm not sure how to link the replays, so I will put these and see what happens:

https://replayswows.com/replay/57465#stats

https://replayswows.com/replay/57464#stats

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
315 posts
5,809 battles

Do not just grind one or two lines. Grind more lines so you learn the capabilities and weaknesses of ships so you can fight them better in other ships. Also not playing dds at all is a bad choice because of the exact reason of knowing your enemies. Hell try a low tier carrier too to see their capabilities.

Also if you feel not very skilled yet aiming for top tier gameplay fast and especially for Yamato that needs good positioning and angling at all times to be most effective is not the best strategy. Grind many lines at least to tier 6 and then decide what you really want to excel at. Tier 5-tier 7 have various fun and good and different playstyle ships and tier7 MM seems still the best. Also you will not lose credits on lower tiers so it is better to stay there for a while before deciding which line and ship class you want to take towards the top tier.

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
315 posts
5,809 battles

IJN BB line is nice to play and has good ships to learn normal BB gameplay. However they have no OP ships (premium Musashi no longer available :Smile_glasses: )as the line is actually pretty balanced.

IJN cruisers are fine again there are no OP ships here, maybe Furutaka only. Aoba might feel a bit underpowered but Myoko is strong at tier 7.

I would choose US DD line first. They have strong dds but nothing too fancy. Also US DDs are versatile they have good guns and OK torpedoes and long lasting US smokes.

Russian cruisers perhaps could be a bit different than IJN ones and there are some strong ships. Don´t get scared of Kirov squishiness as it has good guns for tier 5. You just have to play it differently and pick your fights more than a tanky Furutaka for example.

German BBs at lower tiers are very good brawlers and turtleback may save you sometimes from noob mistakes. Up to tier 7 they are strong ships and a bit different to play than IJN BBs for example as the guns aren´t as accurate but the ships are pretty tanky.

Players
1,549 posts
7 hours ago, samuelx43a said:

howdy! so I did not touch this game for the longest of times, did one battle in january and then left this, reason being the land folk still drag me in from time to time...

the reason why I came back is ironically from azur lane, that waifu boaty game, got me back into ships for now, and will see how long it will last!

is the IJN BB line still a good one to go through? the reason why I'm doing so is because of the yamato, but also of the many many historical ships that do exist in this game. (grinding the cruiser line too)

are there any other lines that you can recommend? I promise I'll stay away from destroyers, I know that they require very high amounts of skill to work properly, and I'm nowhere even that level yet.

Is there anywhwere where I can post some of my replays(that I learnt today that they are always enabled) so that the awesome pros of this game can give me advice? I only have done two battles, and were both very quick wins, and a small pool, so I will wait to ger more results(I'll put them here anyway in case you want to see how the team carried me :P)

best of luck in your incoming battles and best of RNG! (because "everyone" loves a good RNG, innit...)

Welcome Back.

In My opinion, there are NO bad Battle Boats, there are only Bad Battle Boat Captains.

Concealment Expert for 4 skill pts has lost some value in the current meta, you may want to look at anti aircraft systems instead.

There as also been changes to ships citadels on some ships.

I think establishing what you want out of the game should effect you decisions on what line is best for you, I personally have found the last line I have developed has been the most useful for my wows career which is the American BB,s.

The least useful for myself, is Yamato, a long with Rebublique. 

I also do not enjoy the game play encouraged with the British line as I see it so far, I feel supporting your Destroyers and Cruisers in capping and recon an important factor for team play.

Good Luck   

0 posts
8 hours ago, samuelx43a said:

Is there anywhwere where I can post some of my replays(that I learnt today that they are always enabled) so that the awesome pros of this game can give me advice?

Try this discord... https://discord.gg/vvFdzM set up by helpful members of the community.

Otherwise, general tips as already touched on by some others:

1) Don't rush up the tiers. The grind is frustrating, and can be long for a new player. Don't play to 'get to the next ship', but instead play to learn the ship you are in, and get comfortable with the 'meta' for the tier you are playing. You will have a much more pleasant game-play experience and you will find you learn faster. I tried to 'learn and grind asap' and it didn't really work - you get hung up on trying to rush the grind and forget that there are lots of nuances to the game to learn (although not as many as some).

2) One tip to help with the above is to grind multiple lines at the same time - so keep within the same tier bracket on multiple ship types/nations helps reinforce what you are learning at that tier.

3) Typical 'learning' nations are USN and IJN. The original two nations to the game and tend to offer the most 'stable' ships to learn from. BB's from both nations are solid but teach you the importance of angling and positioning as you will get punished if you misplay (harder the higher you go). USN DD's are the typical 'gun-boat' DD play style, IJN DD (original line) are 'pure' torpedo boats but have a slightly higher skill floor (trickier to play effectively). USN cruisers teach you the importance of using islands for cover and positioning/map-awareness. IJN CA line is a solid slightly more open-water play-style with strong torps. Both nations have relatively 'consistent' CV's in terms of playstyle through the line although T4 CVs are fairly weak and can be a frustrating start to the lines. Different people may suggest other lines as 'good' or 'fun', and whilst they are, they tend to be slightly 'gimmicky' and so are better played once you have already learned the basics (e.g. KM BB's might get you used to getting away with showing too much broadside, RN BB's teaching you to use HE too much in BB's, RN CL's will get you deleted fast as they have a higher skill floor etc). That said, RN DD's may be another OK starting line too - they are slightly 'gimmicky' without it messing up the learning curve too much... they still do teach you positioning, importance of stealth, gunboating etc.

4) When asking for help, do it as you have done here - politely (well done!). Come on ranting about hackers and cheaters or bad team mates or 'unfair' tk penalties and you will get short-shrift from all forumites. Keep polite and consider all sound advice (even when the occasional troll tries to bait you) and you should do well... and don't expect to be able to implement everything you learn in the next match.

5) This is a bit of an aside... you mentioned RNG? It shows in funny ways. Yes, dispersion and such like, but also win streaks, loss streaks... you name it. For me (if you can call it RNG) the typical one is: I get some good advice on playing a particular ship, I then play 2-5 battles in it and win all of them, doing pretty reasonable performance wise (for me). I then come back and say 'great, thanks I got the hang of that - see here are my results'... and then can never replicate that performance, reverting right back to being a total potato again. Don't let yourself get artificially confident/depressed because of RNG! Learn to identify what you can do something about, and focus on that!

6) Just thought of a couple more minor 'hints': Low tiers (1-4) is very little strategy and tends to be very 'dynamic' (everyone running round like headless chickens shooting at anything in sight), Mid-tiers (5-7) is a bit more strategic, slightly softer paced and is where you start to learn how to read the battle flow. High-tiers (8-10) tends to be very static at the start, and is fatally dangerous if you have skipped your lessons on map-awareness at T5-7. Go to T9/10 with a T4/5 hat on and you will not do well AT ALL. It can be summed up pretty well as 'low-mid tiers, the best players win. mid-high tiers (there is overlap) the players who make the least mistakes win'.

GL & HF

• Cool 2

Players
9,357 posts
10,990 battles
11 hours ago, samuelx43a said:

IJN battleship line still holds strong and nothing wrong with cruiser line. Kongo remains of the the most versatile "BB" at tier 5, Fuso is still gold standard of a T6 battleship, Nagato still delivers "big seven" experience, though she quickly melts under 380mm+ guns or HE spam. Amagi together with NC are staple of T8 battleships, Izumo used to be a stinker, but got some buffs along the way, so should be playable. Yamato is... not easy to master and power crept in terms of gun penetration by pretty much every newer addition (Republique, Conqueror/457, Kremlin), but she still have ability to overmatch (ignore ricochet) 32mm plating, commonly used on battleships.

From other lines... I'd advise against IJN DDs and German battleships, former are powercrept by every other nation destroyers having increasingly effective torps while usually having superior gunnery. German BBs are "brawlers" with poor main gun accuracy... which doesn't bode well in current high tier meta of long range stand offs. That and carriers can be truly a frustration exercise. UK cruisers are... unforgiving. Very good when used correctly and with understanding of limitations of their ammunition (AP only, but with improved ricochet angles), but any mistake can send you back to port at supersonic speed. Even more true for hightiers.

For replays, you can use this 3rd party site https://replayswows.com/, also you look at other people replays. Humies by nature like to boast about successes:Smile_smile:

[B0TS]
Players
12 posts
1,468 battles

many thanks to all of your replies!

is that discord called by any chance "help me?" if so, I should use it more often for questions and the like.

as for my future endeavor with the DDs, I will go for the murican/RN then soon!

[SM0KE]
Players
4,854 posts
11,844 battles
2 hours ago, samuelx43a said:

as for my future endeavor with the DDs, I will go for the murican/RN then soon!

US is a good choice for a first DD line; the lower tiers teach you to shoot (with the 'floaty' US gun arcs) as your torps are too short range to allow you to get into the bad habit of just spamming torps from range.

When you get a stealth window (at T7) you should be able to shoot well enough that the stealth torps become a valuable extra, rather than your default.

US DDs also have pretty decent AA, if the CVs come back again in serious numbers.

RN DDs are great fun, but I might go with them as a third or fourth line; perhaps give the KM or Russians a lash first?

BTW it might be worth your joining a clan; if you're still at the 'knocking the rust off' stage, perhaps try and find one that is happy to teach. Besides the learning thing, you'll get some useful economic bonuses if they have a reasonably developed clan base.

[B0TS]
Players
12 posts
1,468 battles
On 7/19/2019 at 6:18 PM, Verblonde said:

US is a good choice for a first DD line; the lower tiers teach you to shoot (with the 'floaty' US gun arcs) as your torps are too short range to allow you to get into the bad habit of just spamming torps from range.

When you get a stealth window (at T7) you should be able to shoot well enough that the stealth torps become a valuable extra, rather than your default.

US DDs also have pretty decent AA, if the CVs come back again in serious numbers.

RN DDs are great fun, but I might go with them as a third or fourth line; perhaps give the KM or Russians a lash first?

BTW it might be worth your joining a clan; if you're still at the 'knocking the rust off' stage, perhaps try and find one that is happy to teach. Besides the learning thing, you'll get some useful economic bonuses if they have a reasonably developed clan base.

thanks for the advice, as usual.

I just feel that DDs are like light tanks in WoT(except here they are not gimped and are capable of hitting the hardest in the game) and require a ton of skill to be half good at, and a team will not benefit from a mediocre DD captain, hence my apprehension of them

[_FK_]
Players
208 posts
4,800 battles
18 hours ago, samuelx43a said:

I just feel that DDs are like light tanks in WoT(except here they are not gimped and are capable of hitting the hardest in the game) and require a ton of skill to be half good at, and a team will not benefit from a mediocre DD captain, hence my apprehension of them

Well, if you would buy a T9 DD, then yes, people expect stuff from you.

If you start playing at T2 with DD's... no, nobody expects anything at T2.

So just start a DD line and learn it.

Biggest lesson you need to learn is this: don't die.

Seriously, if you learn how to stay alive for more then 5 minutes, you will be doing fine in most DD's.

• Cool 3

[B0TS]
Players
12 posts
1,468 battles
22 hours ago, Zigiran said:

Well, if you would buy a T9 DD, then yes, people expect stuff from you.

If you start playing at T2 with DD's... no, nobody expects anything at T2.

So just start a DD line and learn it.

Biggest lesson you need to learn is this: don't die.

Seriously, if you learn how to stay alive for more then 5 minutes, you will be doing fine in most DD's.

that is nice to know, after all, everyone has to try to step out of their confort zone every once in a while...

I have another question as well. AP shells are quite cool and all, but are there some ships where I should not even bother to try using it?

for example, the tier III kolberg has only 105mm cannons, and I should maybe stick to HE unless I find a complete side shot against cruisers( I can forget about trying to do that with BBS, should not get close to them at all in the first place...

In respects to a clan, is there something equivalent to the SGTA clan that was around a long time ago in WoT? that would probably help me the most, I think.

I would continue but I'd have to do that in the clan section after all.

Again, thanks for the wonderful advice, all of you

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
315 posts
5,809 battles
52 minutes ago, samuelx43a said:

I have another question as well. AP shells are quite cool and all, but are there some ships where I should not even bother to try using it?

for example, the tier III kolberg has only 105mm cannons, and I should maybe stick to HE unless I find a complete side shot against cruisers( I can forget about trying to do that with BBS, should not get close to them at all in the first place...

105mm AP penetrates 150mm at point blank range and only 65mm around 5km so finding targets that you can penetrate are only full broadside cruisers very close range and upper works of some full broadside BBs. As 105mm AP has OK damage, 2300 though so it is useful in perfect close range broadside shots. Also 105mm HE seems pitiful damage and fire-chance wise but the guns have good rate of fire. Find non-armored targets and spam them with HE and if the opportunity of broadsiding cruiser at close range switch to AP to see if it works.

As 105mm gun fire rate is fast you can switch ammo types very fast too without wasting too much time with the wrong ammo type so you can try different approaches.

Sign in to follow this