You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
jieyaw

Des Moines Vs new IFHE Worcester

Which is the better ship?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship is better?

• Des Moines
    • Worcester (with new IFHE)

25 comments in this topic

[W-C]
Players
29 posts
2,063 battles

The recent proposed changes to the Level 4 commander skill Inertia Fuse for High Explosive has left me wondering which ship is better. I currently have 50k xp on the Buffalo, and a stock Cleveland. I also have 60 free xp, and a 13 point captain for my Buffalo (John Doe) and a 14 point captain for my Cleveland. Which ship should I aim for?

Beta Tester
2,735 posts
6,990 battles

Many forget DM has murderous AP so i'll have to stick with DM over Warchest (dont have it so... Yeah.... Biased) 

• Cool 1

Players
1,549 posts

Worcester, Des moines is a slow fat old Lady that has had its glory days.

Its going to be all about " Finding them and blowing them to bits as fast as possible, while staying alive " = New School 

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,168 posts
18,902 battles

Both are very viable and powerful ships. The IFHE change doesn't really affect Worcester all that much, she will lose bow and aft armor which will make her more vulnerable to some heavy cruiser AP but she doesn't really like to be shot at to begin with.

So it should come down to your own personal enjoyment. Do you like Buffalo or Cleve better? That should be the driving force behind your decision.

• Cool 2

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,506 posts
9,674 battles

Both are great ships and play to completely different styles and though I have them both the des ap can delete most ships that go broadside to you while Worcester even with ifhe seems too situational and the changes in ifhe in my view won't make a massive difference to how she is now

• Cool 1

Players
9,378 posts
11,000 battles

DM retains her brutal AP, have solid, no nonsense turret layout with great rear firing arc and no need for IFHE, so points can be spend elsewhere.

Wooster on other hand is opposite - 1/3 firepower when bow on, to make use of forward turrets needs to show not small amount of broadside and needs 4 points into IFHE, which, if change gets through, will slash fire chance in half.

• Cool 1

Players
1,549 posts

I have to say, for me part of the game is to get coins, so if you can get Salem there is no point in owning DM unless you are a collector, Salem is softer on the coin bag a factor that is some time missed.

I still go to Worcester before Salem in Random, simple because I love Dakar Dakar and burning other players so much. :Smile_bajan2:

image.thumb.png.4129a4b2c2964c10491e490ac37b3f93.png 

Beta Tester
2,735 posts
6,990 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_Dragunov said:

Des moines is a slow fat old Lady that has had its glory days.

DM would like a word after you equip the special module :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
2,735 posts
6,990 battles
Just now, Capt_Dragunov said:

Good Point

She may be old but DM is still a great ship and one that didnt care mutch of the new ships comming late to the party. 

Now if wg would be conciderate and give her some close quarters torps (for self defence of course.... Well that be sweet :Smile_trollface:

[AIS]
Players
128 posts
8,620 battles

Well even now I would question if worc is rly that much better than des. After ifhe "balance comrad" thing never, just no, niet ect, you get the point. 

Players
2,109 posts
18,599 battles
Vor 6 Stunden, jieyaw sagte:

Which ship should I aim for?

Depends what you want from it.

For Clan Battles, a lot of players consider Worcester just too squishy and IFHE will not change that fact. At least for the lower leagues, DM will remain an much more solid choice.

[MORIA]
Players
7,198 posts
33,658 battles
5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Both are very viable and powerful ships. The IFHE change doesn't really affect Worcester all that much, she will lose bow and aft armor which will make her more vulnerable to some heavy cruiser AP but she doesn't really like to be shot at to begin with.

So it should come down to your own personal enjoyment. Do you like Buffalo or Cleve better? That should be the driving force behind your decision.

Ehm, how it won't affect if it won't be able to pen 32mm of armour ? Max 30mm with IFHE changes

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,168 posts
18,902 battles
17 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Ehm, how it won't affect if it won't be able to pen 32mm of armour ? Max 30mm with IFHE changes

HE penetration of T8+ light cruisers is going to get raised to 1/5 gun caliber. With IFHE that will enable them to penetrate 32mm of armor.

Really the IFHE change is only designed to completely :etc_swear: bottom tier cruisers. As if these needed it.

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
7,198 posts
33,658 battles
22 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

HE penetration of T8+ light cruisers is going to get raised to 1/5 gun caliber. With IFHE that will enable them to penetrate 32mm of armor.

Really the IFHE change is only designed to completely :etc_swear: bottom tier cruisers. As if these needed it.

Ah forgot this. So T7 cruisers won't able to 32mm. That's a nerf to Abruzzi, Lazo and Belfast.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,168 posts
18,902 battles
41 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Ah forgot this. So T7 cruisers won't able to 32mm. That's a nerf to Abruzzi, Lazo and Belfast.

Don't forget Boise/Nueve. Also Atlanta/Flint. These have less than 14km range.

I can just imagine the joy of getting up-tiered, having to get up close and personal yet STILL being unable to deal much damage. Totally #funandengaging.

• Cool 5

[MORIA]
Players
7,198 posts
33,658 battles
3 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Don't forget Boise/Nueve. Also Atlanta/Flint. These have less than 14km range.

I can just imagine the joy of getting up-tiered, having to get up close and personal yet STILL being unable to deal much damage. Totally #funandengaging.

Atlanta and Flint will also not affected do much. Just for 27mm heavy cruisers. They'll still pen 25mm. 

Players
2,542 posts
12,556 battles
47 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Indeed. Not to mention how much more glorious the matchmaker will be when wg pumps out some more balanced tier nine boats.

• Cool 1

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
590 posts
4,868 battles
1 hour ago, MacArthur92 said:

Atlanta and Flint will also not affected do much. Just for 27mm heavy cruisers. They'll still pen 25mm. 

Atlanta and Flint will loose the ability to do dmg to BB's of equal tier and up ........

That's gonna be a hard change .....

From what I've seen IFHE is going to be a no for Atlanta if the proposed changes go through.....  so only fire dmg on BBs .... 

And the glorious 4.5 Km torpedo's ofc :Smile_veryhappy:

On topic: both DM and wooster are good ships. I don't think the IFHE change matters much for these.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
5,487 posts
22,681 battles
6 hours ago, Major_Damage225 said:

DM would like a word after you equip the special module :Smile-_tongue:

Whitch gets old as soon as you realise you dont have really much to shoot at 15km range even after geting out of cover and to open water, after that you usually get focused by all 5 enemy bbs and 3-4 20-ish km ranged cruisers and die doing 40k damage 

[PUPSI]
Players
134 posts
8,441 battles

@jieyaw

Don`t rush and keep your options open for both. Most likely we will have opportunity to try changes on PTS because some changes on paper can look OK, but if there is a chance for things to go south, they will go south.

If you don`t want to wait, DM is a safer bet.
I have Worcestar and "worse" version of DM called Salem.

What i have noticed is that DM (on PTS) is perfectly usable ship with 15pts captain and, having in mind differences, play is similar to my Salem.  

On the other hand, Worcester on PTS with 15pts captain, is pale shadow of my ship with 19pts Halsey.

Worcester is more sensitive on captain skills, number of pts and not optimal configuration is hurting more than DM.

Players
9,378 posts
11,000 battles
2 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

T8+ CLs will get 27mm amidship as well, its bow/stern that will get nerfed to 16mm

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,774 battles
8 hours ago, Capt_Dragunov said:

I have to say, for me part of the game is to get coins, so if you can get Salem there is no point in owning DM unless you are a collector, Salem is softer on the coin bag a factor that is some time missed.

I still go to Worcester before Salem in Random, simple because I love Dakar Dakar and burning other players so much. :Smile_bajan2:

image.thumb.png.4129a4b2c2964c10491e490ac37b3f93.png 

Des Moines with legendary mod is a completely different ship to Salem, though.

LM DM is like a tier 11 Exeter, running around executing cruisers and alternately burning then alphaing BBs while avoiding fire like a boss