You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

French Destroyers Event: the Full Guide

161 comments in this topic

[4-20]
[4-20]
Players
215 posts
On 7/18/2019 at 5:05 AM, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

The unusual properties of their hulls: their HP can be reduced to zero, just like the ships' ends.

I do not understand what this sentence means. Poor translation or writing. Please explain in detail these new and exciting alternative damage mechanics.

Watch the how it works video on HP.... it explains there

[4-20]
[4-20]
Players
215 posts
On 7/18/2019 at 1:24 PM, VanD4rk said:

( boom FreeXP all the line :cat_cool: )

dont blow your free XP, I would humbly advise. Free XP ships seem expensive, 

but if you forget about your free XP and spend the papa papas you have wisely, 

you ll see free XP pile up by hundreds of thousand in weeks. 

it gets you valuable ships for moneymaking... and collecting. 

• Cool 2

Players
86 posts
2 hours ago, Toivia said:

It's funny that I had absolutely no issue with the credit grind in savage battles. Unlike the daily missions you had to complete every day, this credit grind you had 4 weeks to pick and choose whenever you want to complete it. Be it a couple games every day or a long focused grind on a couple particular days and be done with it.

What I really hated was the constant fear that for whatever reason*, I would miss a day of daily missions and would lose the chance of getting Benham. Like whether I found time daily for the grind wasn't in no way guarantee that I would eventually get Benham. That's what drove me crazy all along this grind.

*ISP issues, power outages due to severely strong storms at the moment, WG server issues, computer issues, etc.

Yes, I can only agree. Credit grind was not a problem at all, especially if you have some spare credit flags. Directives were OK too, because you had the choice what to do and what not. The real problem was only the daily missions grind.

But It was just too much for me. And I decided, it is not worth it. WG managed to make me really hate their game during this event, there were a couple of days where I had the time, but I just didn't want to work (.."play"..) anymore. I managed to do 35 out of 48 missions so far and had to buy 5 containers for 21 €. Which is not that bad for a decent tier 9 ship. 4 more fuel units tomorrow (3 from hill + 1 from 250 XP mission) and I have the 800. 

As for the next upcoming and inevitable frenchie grind fest - WG can only

Spoiler

stick it up their....

very dark place ;)

• Cool 1

Players
2,109 posts
18,438 battles
Vor 10 Stunden, victorem sagte:

Watch the how it works video on HP.... it explains there

I did, a long time ago, and it doesn't help at all with the damage mechanics of these Frenchies. Possibly because that was the first of the How it Works videos and still fairly confusing in and of itself.

[4-20]
[4-20]
Players
215 posts

If I remember well, it explains there with a fuso, its bow runs out oh HP so every subsequent hit only took i think a quarter of the damage??

I dont remember and i dont care, i will surely blow those frenchies till they have none HP left at all   XD

[4-20]
[4-20]
Players
215 posts
10 hours ago, m3c0 said:

WG managed to make me really hate their game during this event,

another one got enough, gj WG 

so did I and i think hundreds of us.

BTW im not spending money since you reworked the cvs, and playing less and less

anyway i make sure I seal club everynow and then, to encourage new player base and low tiers to play. 

:cap_cool:

[T-N-T]
Players
3,491 posts
15,706 battles
5 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

I did, a long time ago, and it doesn't help at all with the damage mechanics of these Frenchies. Possibly because that was the first of the How it Works videos and still fairly confusing in and of itself.

Well the gist of it is that if french DDs take all damage to their mid section, eventually they will only take a fraction of the damage until they'd take no damage at all*. In comparison, on other DDs, the midsection behaves like a citadel for other ships, meaning that the midsection always takes full damage till the destroyer gets killed.

*Err, i am not sure if sections can still get depleted to a point of not being damageable at all. I am sure that torpedoes have been patched to do at least some damage (10%), even if say a dozen all hit the bow of one ship (previously, a DD could take 6 (or 100) torps directly in its bow and survive). I am not sure if a similar patch eventually happened for shells as well.

Players
2,109 posts
18,438 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Toivia sagte:

Well the gist of it is that if french DDs take all damage to their mid section, eventually they will only take a fraction of the damage until they'd take no damage at all*.

Well I don't mean to attack you, I'm just wondering how is that contained in the sentence

Vor 17 Stunden, victorem sagte:

The unusual properties of their hulls: their HP can be reduced to zero, just like the ships' ends.

Or that:

Zitat

In comparison, on other DDs, the midsection behaves like a citadel for other ships, meaning that the midsection always takes full damage till the destroyer gets killed.

Which quote of the video, combined with the sentence in trhe news release, does convey that info? Nowhere does it say anything about the French DDs taking full shell damage. I think you got that info from other sources. Sorry, I have to stand by my initial assessment, another news bulletin with poorly written and/or translated passages about core game mechanics.

[T-N-T]
Players
3,491 posts
15,706 battles

Well obviously I take that from information about the french DD testing. Why would you ever expect dirfferent?

But anyway, when you have knowledge about how the section HP works, the sentence quoted by you makes sense. It's just not the best formulation available.

HP of French DD hulls (mid sections) can be reduced to zero, like the HP of their bows and sterns.

[YEBOI]
Players
273 posts
6,389 battles

Can’t seem to find the info anywhere.. how does one get the T8 prem cruiser Bayard? 

There was smth smth about a mission being available? 

[NED]
Players
2,008 posts
7,692 battles
9 hours ago, novents said:

Can’t seem to find the info anywhere.. how does one get the T8 prem cruiser Bayard? 

Have you obtained flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fanormal_578f4cb5e5bd1007d5df8ade07a8c4836V Jaguar, flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fanormal_578f4cb5e5bd1007d5df8ade07a8c4836VI Guépard, flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fanormal_578f4cb5e5bd1007d5df8ade07a8c4836VII Vauquelin, flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fanormal_578f4cb5e5bd1007d5df8ade07a8c4836VIII Le Fantasque, or flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fapremium_dac9e09cf46059e1432206f07fdb2eabV Siroco? Complete a one-time combat mission for each of the ships to earn 15,000 XP and 250 Republic Tokens as a reward. A similar mission is available for completion for Premium cruiser flag_France_1b45875fe2166c392a4b0801c9fapremium_7ca1d32231aa1e03cc8c292ae268c631VIII Bayard.

So the way i read it if i unlock one of the above ships listed i automatically get a mission for the Bayard ?

Another question is the mogador a guaranteed drop from the 1000 dubloon crate ?

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,287 posts
11 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

So the way i read it if i unlock one of the above ships listed i automatically get a mission for the Bayard ?

no. Until now we don't know how to get the Bayard, and the text you quote only says that there will be mission for tokens that has to be completed with the Bayard

12 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

yes, but you won't know in which of the 30 crates it is hidden...it can be in the first, but also in the last...

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,280 posts
13,743 battles
3 hours ago, piet11111 said:

No, it means that a similar mission to "to earn 15,000 XP and 250 Republic Tokens as a reward". For the Mogadar - it's guaranteed to be in one of the 30 crates in that offer.

On 7/19/2019 at 2:29 PM, Toivia said:

This is priceless. :Smile_teethhappy:

Well, at least this grind should be less of a pain than the Benham one (small victories, eh?). And since there doesn't seem to be anything interesting available for the tokens anyway, thankfully there's nothing forcing you to really grind much.

Still, if you're interested, @Crysantos some down time between "events" would really be nice. Not piling up directives on top of bundles, tokens and container missions all at the same time for instance would also help. 

Always happy to read your feedback. The game will always have some grind to it though - be it through an event, the release of a tech tree or some other things you want to achieve in the game, but I already passed along this feedback in the past weeks.

13 hours ago, novents said:

Can't share that yet but it's definitely not through a mission. :Smile_honoring:

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,240 posts
1 hour ago, Crysantos said:

The game will always have some grind to it though

giphy.gif

48/50 daily missions... "Some"... sure...

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,280 posts
13,743 battles
36 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

giphy.gif

48/50 daily missions... "Some"... sure...

And this is representative for the average activities in our game?

All I'm saying is that our game does offer a lot of content - sometimes more, sometimes less - but we always try to offer an incentive to play. For those who want to spend the time, they will find plenty of missions and rewards for their activity but I understand that for others this might seem like there are things going on that they would like to complete but don't have the time for that. We try to find a good balance but it's always up to the players to decide whether they want to invest that time. You don't feel like spending additional time in the game to get the Tier V reward ship, then you can easily just drop it and only focus on getting the things that you are interested  - or if you don't want to invest the time but get the item, you can buy it in most cases in the premium shop. Additionally we add the option to get ships through the Armory and long term resources like Coal or FreeXP, so you have a lot of choice.

Greetings, Crysantos

[HOO]
3,240 posts
12 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

And this is representative for the average activities in our game?

Counting backwards:

Benham: absolutely ridiculous, with having 1/8th of the required tokens hidden behind mandatory daily attendance & activity, in full holiday season.

Kuznetsov: really grindy, borderline impossible to get without buying "surprise mechanics"

Russian BB release: really grindy

Exeter-marathon: really grindy, especially for a T5 cruiser.

British CV-marathon: also grindy

PEF-marathon: really grindy, eventhough the real reward (the steel from the parallel campaign that needed PEF to unlock)

Cossack-marathon: 3 months of directives to get tokens. That's a quarter of a year to get a (admittedly strong) T8 DD at a substantial discount.

British DD-marathon: grindy

When is the last time we had a rather "casual" event? Pleas help enlighten me, because I can't remember it.  

Related to that: Why do we still have a campaign-tab in our port anyway, it's not seeing any additions at all: everything is time-gated directives or missions anyhow... And since  a few years it is time-gated with short intervals (really starting with the Aigle-marathon, but also starting with the OktoRev mission chain, or the X-mas campaign for the Duke of York), taking away any planning or initiative from the player's side, with WG dictating the agenda, and saying when we have to play what for being able to participate in the event. First you just had a start date and an end date. Then a start date, an intermediate date and an end date. Now we have a start date, a gazillion intermediate dates and intermediate end dates, and an end date. And no way to catch up. 

That's what made the goal of getting Yamamoto, Halsey or Shinonome so interesting: you could do so at your own pace, on your own terms and by picking and choosing the missions you wanted to do. But hey, campaigns don't bring in any money, that's why they got sidetracked.

If you add this with the absolute reluctance/ignoring of WG staff for the "Summer Sale", and how non-Steam players are being treated, the lootboxing of absolutely everything this game has to offer (with a really aggressive way to do so on top, making crates borderline mandatory for anyone who doesn't see WoWS as a job,...)... I've told you guys in the past to maybe ease of the throttle a bit, spread the events a bit out, allow for some breathing space, but all in vain, you said "we want to keep the players busy and entertained", well... Congratulations, you've made an event that 60+% didn't even bother to begin with because it was so ridiculous, and you've now successfully wore out a part of your playerbase. Your aims to keep us playing more, and more regularly, is starting to bite you in the rear, and is making people play less, and less regularly.

• Cool 11

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,280 posts
13,743 battles
26 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

Counting backwards:

Benham: absolutely ridiculous, with having 1/8th of the required tokens hidden behind mandatory daily attendance & activity, in full holiday season.

Kuznetsov: really grindy, borderline impossible to get without buying "surprise mechanics"

Russian BB release: really grindy

Exeter-marathon: really grindy, especially for a T5 cruiser.

British CV-marathon: also grindy

PEF-marathon: really grindy, eventhough the real reward (the steel from the parallel campaign that needed PEF to unlock)

Cossack-marathon: 3 months of directives to get tokens. That's a quarter of a year to get a (admittedly strong) T8 DD at a substantial discount.

British DD-marathon: grindy

When is the last time we had a rather "casual" event? Pleas help enlighten me, because I can't remember it.  

Related to that: Why do we still have a campaign-tab in our port anyway, it's not seeing any additions at all: everything is time-gated directives or missions anyhow... And since  a few years it is time-gated with short intervals (really starting with the Aigle-marathon, but also starting with the OktoRev mission chain, or the X-mas campaign for the Duke of York), taking away any planning or initiative from the player's side, with WG dictating the agenda, and saying when we have to play what for being able to participate in the event. First you just had a start date and an end date. Then a start date, an intermediate date and an end date. Now we have a start date, a gazillion intermediate dates and intermediate end dates, and an end date. And no way to catch up. 

That's what made the goal of getting Yamamoto, Halsey or Shinonome so interesting: you could do so at your own pace, on your own terms and by picking and choosing the missions you wanted to do. But hey, campaigns don't bring in any money, that's why they got sidetracked.

If you add this with the absolute reluctance/ignoring of WG staff for the "Summer Sale", and how non-Steam players are being treated, the lootboxing of absolutely everything this game has to offer (with a really aggressive way to do so on top, making crates borderline mandatory for anyone who doesn't see WoWS as a job,...)... I've told you guys in the past to maybe ease of the throttle a bit, spread the events a bit out, allow for some breathing space, but all in vain, you said "we want to keep the players busy and entertained", well... Congratulations, you've made an event that 60+% didn't even bother to begin with because it was so ridiculous, and you've now successfully wore out a part of your playerbase. Your aims to keep us playing more, and more regularly, is starting to bite you in the rear, and is making people play less, and less regularly.

All of the mentioned events do offer a reward for doing missions or earning tokens - how are regular releases super grindy? Yes, if you want to earn a premium ship for free, we will ask you to play our game and invest some time to earn her - otherwise we would just hand it out for free with no strings attached. But it's still a ship for free that you don't have to pay anything for or you get a massive discount for it because you only need to get the missing tokens - and these tokens are a guaranteed part of the containers, so you know exactly what you get to complete that. The amount of time invested also usually scales with the level or Tier of the reward, just like it does for the Armory or Premium Shop in terms of value. I think the term grind is overused here because everything in our game can be considered a grind. Want to unlock the next ship in the techtree - grind! Want to have an additional skillpoint on a commander - grind! Want to get XY - grind! Yes, playing the game to earn resources is a core principle of our game and has always been exactly that - I understand when you criticize that certain events require too much time to complete or that you dislike specific design like the daily mission limitation, but grinding is an everyday aspect of playing WoWs in many different ways or forms. Additionally, I think when you take a look at all of those events and past concepts that we tried, we're always testing and re-iterating on what we can do and we'll keep improving this over time while learning from it.

I personally liked those campaigns, too - and completed them all - and while I agree that they offer you the benefit of picking missions and doing them on your own time and terms, they also provided a certain level of frustration because you might have been locked into a specific ship / class for x games or you managed to finish a demanding task but it wasn't set active. Directives offer more freedom here in completion but they are tied to the current update and theme - on the other hand we did offer more meaningful ways to work on longer term projects and have more freedom in picking rewards. The Armory is a great example here - because you can plan for a longer time, work on ships without the need to finish it within the update or if you're not into the main reward, you can pick from a wider selection of goodies.

It all has pros and cons - and we're trying to find a good middle-ground and we pass on your feedback on for your personal pain-points as you mentioned them.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 3
  • Bad 3

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,025 posts
36 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

All of the mentioned events do offer a reward for doing missions or earning tokens - how are regular releases super grindy? Yes, if you want to earn a premium ship for free, we will ask you to play our game and invest some time to earn her - otherwise we would just hand it out for free with no strings attached. But it's still a ship for free that you don't have to pay anything for or you get a massive discount for it because you only need to get the missing tokens - and these tokens are a guaranteed part of the containers, so you know exactly what you get to complete that. The amount of time invested also usually scales with the level or Tier of the reward, just like it does for the Armory or Premium Shop in terms of value. I think the term grind is overused here because everything in our game can be considered a grind. Want to unlock the next ship in the techtree - grind! Want to have an additional skillpoint on a commander - grind! Want to get XY - grind! Yes, playing the game to earn resources is a core principle of our game and has always been exactly that - I understand when you criticize that certain events require too much time to complete or that you dislike specific design like the daily mission limitation, but grinding is an everyday aspect of playing WoWs in many different ways or forms. Additionally, I think when you take a look at all of those events and past concepts that we tried, we're always testing and re-iterating on what we can do and we'll keep improving this over time while learning from it.

I personally liked those campaigns, too - and completed them all - and while I agree that they offer you the benefit of picking missions and doing them on your own time and terms, they also provided a certain level of frustration because you might have been locked into a specific ship / class for x games or you managed to finish a demanding task but it wasn't set active. Directives offer more freedom here in completion but they are tied to the current update and theme - on the other hand we did offer more meaningful ways to work on longer term projects and have more freedom in picking rewards. The Armory is a great example here - because you can plan for a longer time, work on ships without the need to finish it within the update or if you're not into the main reward, you can pick from a wider selection of goodies.

It all has pros and cons - and we're trying to find a good middle-ground and we pass on your feedback on for your personal pain-points as you mentioned them.

Greetings, Crysantos

@Crysantos

Let me explain what you seem to miss.

All the recent events required the players to play at a pace that you dictated. Daily attendence. Intermediate goals you have to complete before a certain date. Miss only one and all your effort is wasted. Players have no chance to catch up if they enter late, or if they are prevented to participate for real life reasons.

Ever since the introduction of directives and the re-introduction of daily missions it has been a constant struggle to keep up. Everyone in my clan has given up on completing those events. Most didn't even bother to try to get the Benham. I'm the only one in my clan that I know of who managed to get her. And for the past two weeks I have done not much more then what is necessary to complete the tasks. It wasn't fun at all.

Your players are exhausted. They want to have a chance to play by their timetable not yours. Nothing will prevent you from making grinding events but please allow the players to do them on their terms. If someone misses a few days because they have family and holidays then it is a shame that you essentially exclude them from participating in your events. No one wants to feel excluded right from the start and you managed to create an excellent example of a chain of events that did exactly that.

There was absolutly no middle ground to be found.

Campaings allow the user to do everything at their pace. Missions that are not time gated daily or weekly but for the time of the whole event would allow players to be more relaxed in thought and action.

• Cool 12

[R3B3L]
Players
807 posts
1 hour ago, Crysantos said:

I understand when you criticize that certain events require too much time to complete or that you dislike specific design like the daily mission limitation

Back in the day for the Kamikaze-R mission we had tasks like:

"Win 2 battles with a Tier2-ship" - and get 2 pearls.

"Win 2 battles with a Tier3-ship" - and get 3 pearls.

Now everything is Tier 5 and above and WG-guys complain about no-one playing low tiers :Smile_bajan2:

I hope you understand the irony behind this, too.

• Cool 4

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,280 posts
13,743 battles
2 hours ago, Egoleter said:

@Crysantos

Let me explain what you seem to miss.

All the recent events required the players to play at a pace that you dictated. Daily attendence. Intermediate goals you have to complete before a certain date. Miss only one and all your effort is wasted. Players have no chance to catch up if they enter late, or if they are prevented to participate for real life reasons.

Ever since the introduction of directives and the re-introduction of daily missions it has been a constant struggle to keep up. Everyone in my clan has given up on completing those events. Most didn't even bother to try to get the Benham. I'm the only one in my clan that I know of who managed to get her. And for the past two weeks I have done not much more then what is necessary to complete the tasks. It wasn't fun at all.

Your players are exhausted. They want to have a chance to play by their timetable not yours. Nothing will prevent you from making grinding events but please allow the players to do them on their terms. If someone misses a few days because they have family and holidays then it is a shame that you essentially exclude them from participating in your events. No one wants to feel excluded right from the start and you managed to create an excellent example of a chain of events that did exactly that.

There was absolutly no middle ground to be found.

Campaings allow the user to do everything at their pace. Missions that are not time gated daily or weekly but for the time of the whole event would allow players to be more relaxed in thought and action.

I understand the point you're making, I just don't want all events to be thrown into the same bucket as Benham. Yes, it was grindy but it was also a free, amazing Tier IX ship. I get that and you know my team reads the vast majority of comments here, we do provide that feedback to the devs. But the French event doesn't require to play every day or do everything right away, with directives your limitation is the end of the current update, not the week when it's unlocked - so it's much more relaxed compared to the Rogue Wave event and I completely understand that you want to have more control over when you spend your time on the game. Also keep in mind that the time restriction is a factor when we think about the rewards, also we want events that are themed to be really relevant around that time of release. I'm always happy to read the feedback but it helps me much more conveying that opinion when I can point out specific aspects of those different events.

You can be sure I'll pass that feedback along but there will always be a certain "grind" aka time investment involved with getting rewards.

Greetings, Crysantos

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,025 posts
22 hours ago, Crysantos said:

But the French event doesn't require to play every day or do everything right away, with directives your limitation is the end of the current update, not the week when it's unlocked - so it's much more relaxed compared to the Rogue Wave event and I completely understand that you want to have more control over when you spend your time on the game.

Don't get me wrong. The french event looks nowhere near as bad as the Benham one did. I'll still sit this one out. After one event worse then its predecessor after the other, for months and months and months, despite us telling you a long time ago that we need a break, it simply looked like you listen and then do the exact opposite of what we asked for. No one asked for that Benham event, yet you made it the worst it could possibly be even after you knew that some parts of your community need a break.

I simply have no energy left and WoWs lost all the fun it once meant to me. And I see myself reflected in the posts of many other forum users when they talk about your events.

Also keep in mind that the time restriction is a factor when we think about the rewards, also we want events that are themed to be really relevant around that time of release.

Total time spend on getting a reward should be a factor. Not forcing players to dance to your tune. If a game feels like a chore, and it did feel exactly like that for at last half a year now, it drains your existing playerbase.

If you plan for a player to spend 100 hours playing to get a reward, then let him decide when and how to spend those one hundred hours. If they are spend at the beginning, at the end, or spread out shouldn't matter. The time spend is still the same. The effort for the reward is still made. But the player gets to enjoy all of it.

Your regular use of the directives mechanism prevents that. Yes, you might be able to catch up if you join late. But it's absolutly impossible to get a head start and make a break later. It's a freedom that's taken away regardless in which direction you limit it. A returning player is a returning player, regardless if s/he is playing daily for two hours, or one week for sixty. The time spend is the same. It is also the same if it is spend early in the month or later. You lose nothing if you give the players this freedom back. Keep the grind but stop placing those stupid time gates on events. No reward is worth the cost of losing the joy a game should be played for in the first place. And players excluded from events because of those time gates experience it now with every single new event.

I'm always happy to read the feedback but it helps me much more conveying that opinion when I can point out specific aspects of those different events.

The aspect I'm unsatisfied about is the same with all recent events. They are to much with no breaks allowed. They are to restricted in regards to time management allowed by the player.

I'd really like to see again a straight event like we had them in the past. Where everyhting was clear the moment you read the mission descriptions. No half a dozen things to do here and there. Just a couple of missions (or mission chains) and you are done. Comparing then and now, even the stupid EU server ARP Nachi mission I never managed to complete looks like simple relaxing task that I would trade in at any time, if it just meant that directives and convoluted pay and play mixture of events are removed or at least limited to once or twice a year.

I will not play for the next week. At least. I need to gather some energy and I will then decide if the game is still what I enjoyed back when I joined. I will most likely not bother with the french event at all, even if I play. I can't. I'm broken. I can no longer keep up with your events that just get more complicated and confusing every time, in an attempt to get players to purchase your lootboxes or other silly stuff. Your event planners managed to break my will to play.

You know that I am dedicated to the game. It should tell you a lot if I tell you that I can't play anymore.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

Players
86 posts

Egoleter, everything you wrote is absolutely true, I for myself see the things exactly as you described them. But there is a huge major problem:

WG DON'T CARE if you play the game for 1, 100 or 1000 hours; if you play every day or on weekends. They don't care how you feel about the countless grind events. They only care how to squeeze as much money as fast as possible out us, players. Thats the whole point of the grind fests.

And I have to admit, their strategy might be working great. Because that's what they want - they want to make you HATE their game at some point during those events, hoping that this way you will be forced to buy the tokens you can't (or don't want to) get.

I'm pretty sure there is a huge amount of players who did exactly what I did - I played almost every day and did the doable missions, but then at some point I just said "screw you WG, I can't work anymore for your f**king tokens, I'll just buy what I need." And thats EXACTLY what they want.

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Players
3,491 posts
15,706 battles

While I mostly agree with Egoleter's points here, I'd like to add that for me personally, the concept of "directives" is one of the better mission structures in WoWs. There at least you have a choice of when in a given week to play and it does't make a difference. Heck with directives unlocking once per week, you are free to wait for the last directive on the last week and complete them all in one huge concentrated game session.

What I really loathed was being hamstrung to play daily for 4 weeks in a row, 4 very specific weeks in a row for Benham. I wouldn't mind at all having to spend 24 days completing all dailies for a decent T9 ship if I could pick and choose those days. Just having say 6 weeks for that would aleviate the issue while keeping the requirements steep (you need to play several hours per day to complete those dailies). If you value the reward more still, no problem asking for more days spent playing, but again, do not ask for specific days playing - people have out of game needs as well. Let's assume you release the most OP Tier 10 ship ever, you call it free and you let everyone reach it just by playing the game. Asking players to complete 200 dailies to get it might be alright, IF AND ONLY IF you don't set a window of merely say 103 days to do that. If you give us a year, I wouldn't really see a problem with it. Hell maybe even half a year could be workable.

And I have the same issues with Ranked seasons lately. Those used to last more than a month, maybe even more than 6 weeks at a time. Nowadays, you have one patch  - which is typically 4 weeks, less than a month - to play. The only way to move to higher ranks for me is to spam battles daily which leads to very crappy results. Compare that to early Ranked seasons where I was fine playing a couple Ranked battles every other day and was A) enjoying it; B) moving surprisingly easily up the ranks.

So to reiterate, for me, missions I have generally weeks for are fine; missions asking me to "work" every day for weeks on end are definitely not, no matter what the reward is.

Though sure, downtime between events and grinds is bloody fine as well. I was having so much fun today playing just the ships I wanted, having no missions I "had" to complete.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
3,240 posts

@CrysantosIt's exacty what Egoleter says. The main gripe is that WG rewards a player that can play 1 hour per day for 14 days without interruption, but not a player that can play for 14 hours in 14 days, but spreads that out (3 hours on day 1, nothing on day 2, half an hour on day 3, 2 hours on day 4,...). It's not that I haven't told you that for... over a year by now. Yet you seem really slow to learn and adapt. 

Yes, the campaign has its drawbacks as well, with the "accidental completion" of a mission you didn't select. But that does not outweigh the benefit it has of not having a harsh timegating.

Also: directives have their place, being the antagonist of the campaigns. Now if only those would succeed eachother, and that new non-time-gated content would appear in the game. Why wasn't Kuznetsov (or the upcoming French commander) added to the game via a campaign? That would be logical and interesting. 

Also "you can buy tokens in the armoury via containers" is also a poor show, that you need a "surprise box" to bloat the price of the tokens, all for the greed. Then the Cossack-event was better (spread out more, some leeway in terms of how to fill it in, and more importantly: standalone tokens). I got the Cossack (despite it being a long grind, and despite it requiring to pay for it nonetheless). I didn't even care for Benham, even if I were allowed (or want) to buy containers. The thread started by Apollo, or the one on reddit, gives a clear view on how people react to such missions... I'm going to condense it for you: it's not favourable. 

I'm talking from a personal view now, but with these kinds of time-gated events, you lost me. Plain and simple. Previously I was all to eager to participate in events, go for the final goal, spend some decent time and effort,... but now: I see the requirements, and I just shrug, raise my eyebrow a bit, and then logs off. And once you've missed one event, the (mental) hurdle to participate in the next event becomes higher the more events there are happening. I did Exeter, which did strain me a bit, but I freewheeled when the Russian BB's happened, and I plainly didn't bother for Kuznetsov, which also made it so that I didn't bother for the Benham (not even for Hill, which was within reach easily, compared to Exeter), and following on that, I will not bother for the French DD's (which is the first time since CBT I will not be participating in the release-event of a new branch), etc... etc. Once you're out of the loop, it's very hard to get back into it, and to motivate oneself to participate back in the events. Previously a day where I didn't reach 12.5k XP for 2 containers was a meagre day, nowadays a day when I reach 2k XP for 1 container is a hugely successful one. And it's not because I dislike the game (although I do have my questions and reservations about the direction it is going), it's purely by the timegated events, the lack of alternatives and the lootbox-bonanza.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1