You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

French Destroyers Event: the Full Guide

161 comments in this topic

[BODEM]
Players
674 posts
6,313 battles
1 minute ago, Tall_Toot said:

Loot boxes again?

Just another brick in the wall.....

Jup, but everyone keeps buying them so WG keeps selling them. If the majority don't care about getting screwed by WG, WG won't have any reason to revise their sales strategy.

• Cool 2

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,280 posts
13,743 battles
19 hours ago, MrFingers said:

Without reading:

• it's going to be rather grindy
  • there will be directives, and they are harshly time-gated.
  • the big reward is going to be a mid-tier ship that is rather meh.
  • there will be time-limited tokens with rather limited useful usage, apart from the "big reward"
  • there will be tokens available in premium containers which are filled with stuff no-one really wants to bloat the price, also because regular play won't give you enough tokens for the "big reward".
  • the tokens will ONLY be available in said containers.
  • there will be an RNG-infested part in it where you can "win" big, but the chance of winning big is rather abysmal.
  • a collection as a "herring" to lure people with an interest in history in.

Now I'm going to read it.

EDIT: rather accurate prediction. No collection, but I didn't expect the snowflake-mechanic.

Not correct, please take the time to read it before you post stuff like this. Always happy to read your feedback but please take the time to read about the event if you want to criticize it.

18 hours ago, Europizza said:

I can't even be bothered to read these walls of text, promising walls of grind for walls of special tokens to obtain weird ships. I'm burned out on all these 'special' events.

Hey, we added a special "quick read" tab for those who don't want to read the wall of text - but if you want to get the detailed version, we want to offer you this as well. Please let us know how you would like us to improve this aspect :Smile_honoring:

17 hours ago, Wicket_Boomber said:

Only ship that I am interested in franch DD line is Bourrasque , why is that you ask ? well Poland (I am Polish) , have used 3 those ships , 2 Polish build , and one loaned in ww2 , so with ships allready are in game , WG can make easy Polish DD line ! could look like that :

Please coment.

Well, this is a bigger topic that I can't really cover here. For the near future I wouldn't expect new Polish ships but we'll always try to add a variety of ships and nations. Please keep the thread here on topic, be respectful to each other and don't fight over which nations deserve it more to be in World of Warships, please :)

12 hours ago, Sugertukas said:

I just don't have time to keep up with these grinding campaigns. So it starts to bother me less and less and in result WG sees less of my money. Actually adding up AMAZING summer sales last time they got my money was.....last year's xmas whenever they sold year of premium for half price. To sum it up, as soon as i won't be able to be competitive due to missing key ships/commanders/other boosters which were hidden under special long grinds i will simply quit. So not every grind will keep players playing more and spend more...

The event is structured in a similar way to the snowflakes event in December - and you get to fulfill many of your missions in the directives at the same time with those ships - each of the directives will be unlocked after another week and they will still active until the end of the event, so you get to decide when you want to invest your time.

4 hours ago, Klopirat said:

but of course you might be lucky and get the DD already with one of the first boxes :Smile_hiding:

This new system is giving you the visibility of the content in the next bundle and you do get additional content (which is all listed) on top of the Mogador, if you decide to go for this. If you rather not spend the dubloons, you can always wait for the techtree to come out in full force and just get there the regular way by playing your way up there.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,287 posts
3 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

This new system is giving you the visibility of the content in the next bundle and you do get additional content (which is all listed) on top of the Mogador, if you decide to go for this.

sure. But I wonder if it wasn't better to show not only the next bundle but some more (not all of course, maybe 4 or 5), because I think this might encourage players more to spend doubloons. Many bundles are not really appealing, 'diluted' with credits or even only coal & credits (as far as I remember there were six of those only coal & credits bundles on the PTS). So seeing such a 'common' bundle as next one might people to leave this stuff and don't spend more doubloons on it. But knowing more of the directly following bundles might help to let people buy also this common bundles :Smile_honoring:.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,280 posts
13,743 battles
6 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

sure. But I wonder if it wasn't better to show not only the next bundle but some more (not all of course, maybe 4 or 5), because I think this might encourage players more to spend doubloons. Many bundles are not really appealing, 'diluted' with credits or even only coal & credits (as far as I remember there were six of those only coal & credits bundles on the PTS). So seeing such a 'common' bundle as next one might people to leave this stuff and don't spend more doubloons on it. But knowing more of the directly following bundles might help to let people buy also this common bundles :Smile_honoring:.

Valid feedback - we're doing this for the first time, so we're very happy to read suggestions on how to improve it - unfortunately there wasn't a lot of feedback from PT. :Smile_honoring:

Thanks! Crysantos

• Cool 1

Players
2,231 posts
18,067 battles
30 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

Hey, we added a special "quick read" tab for those who don't want to read the wall of text - but if you want to get the detailed version, we want to offer you this as well. Please let us know how you would like us to improve this aspect :Smile_honoring:

Greetings, Crysantos

Thank you @Crysantos, but you missed the core point :-) Short version: improve the events, not the short version of the long winded description of the events I already don't care for, out of sheer boredom and fatigue. G'day sir :Smile_honoring:

• Bad 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,240 posts
15 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

so we're very happy to read suggestions on how to improve it

Don't make events as grindy as you do since a year or so + allow for some time off + don't lootbox the fck out of it + add variation instead of the directive upon directive upon directive. 

Then I might reconsider and participating in them again.

• Cool 4

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,287 posts
3 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

instead of the directive upon directive upon directive.

which directives did we have during the Victory competition?

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
2 hours ago, Crysantos said:

The event is structured in a similar way to the snowflakes event in December - and you get to fulfill many of your missions in the directives at the same time with those ships - each of the directives will be unlocked after another week and they will still active until the end of the event, so you get to decide when you want to invest your time.

The problem with the snowflakes event (and subsequently with every event structured just like it) is that whilst people may like playing the low and middle tiers, they like it like people like children: in small and controlled doses. Not a Kindergarden worth of toddlers all screeching for attention at the same time!

Getting a win in practically every ship you have in port is quite a slog for people with well over 100 ships that qualify for such events. There's a reason people took to CoOp with gusto and just yoloed for a quick kill, then die, quit and pick the next ship. And even that speedy method is monotonous as hell. Can't speak for anyone else but I gave up collecting snowflakes after I cleared all my steel and the higher tier coal ships because it was just too much and too boring to do in a timely fashion in CoOp.

I would suggest that the rewards are rewarded collectively for each elgibile ship of a line if you just win one game of a ship of the line. Say you win a game in any eligible french cruiser: you get all rewards associated with every french cruiser that the player is eligible for at that time. Any eligible ships unlocked/bought later on can (and realistically: will) be cleared individually as people unlock them over the course of the event.

Because seriously, I know you guys want to keep people engaged and playing the game ... but it's really getting incredibly grindy as of late (not just one event straight after another, but each individual event by itself) and it really leads to people getting burned out. That's how you suck the enjoyment out of playing the game. It's a game, not a fulltime job and no, saying people don't have to grind isn't a viable excuse because you actively withhold content, or more accurately gate it behind a ridiculous paywall *cough*Benhamfor164€withoutgrind*cough*, like a hostage to keep people grinding.

• Cool 2

[OCTO]
Players
386 posts
7,546 battles

Gonna skip this  grindy event and just play for fun my T9s and T10s and if I complete any mission by mistake in the meantime I will open those boxes.

When the tech tree releases  I will know if I want the french DD or not( boom FreeXP all the line :cat_cool: )

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,498 posts
14,506 battles

This looks quite similar to the previous events, which is fine. I'm not a huge fan of level-jumping events as I like to play all the ships in the line. 

It would be nice if French ships gave a slightly higher rate of return on the event tokens - might get people back in their Aigles, De Grasse or Dunkerques if they could (and you might even sell a few...)

Presumably Siroco will be available in the shop for Cash like Hill, so you can run the event more easily by buying her?

And finally... I can see Bayard listed in the event, too - hadn't seen that she was coming so soon. Any idea of how she will be made available?

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
1,865 posts
11,569 battles
32 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Any idea of how she will be made available?

As she is no reward in the event the answer will be: most probably cash...

[PINUT]
Players
971 posts
14,142 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Wizard27_1979 sagte:

As she is no reward in the event the answer will be: most probably cash...

Which is fine with me, could be a nice ship for the upcoming t8 CB season, (instead of atago, trading endurance for burst damage potential). 

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,280 posts
13,743 battles
4 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

This looks quite similar to the previous events, which is fine. I'm not a huge fan of level-jumping events as I like to play all the ships in the line. 

It would be nice if French ships gave a slightly higher rate of return on the event tokens - might get people back in their Aigles, De Grasse or Dunkerques if they could (and you might even sell a few...)

Presumably Siroco will be available in the shop for Cash like Hill, so you can run the event more easily by buying her?

And finally... I can see Bayard listed in the event, too - hadn't seen that she was coming so soon. Any idea of how she will be made available?

That's a cool idea, I will suggest it for the next one - for this event it will be too late. For Bayard - can't comment yet :Smile_hiding:

6 hours ago, MrFingers said:

Don't make events as grindy as you do since a year or so + allow for some time off + don't lootbox the fck out of it + add variation instead of the directive upon directive upon directive. 

Then I might reconsider and participating in them again.

The events are grindy because there's usually a nice reward tied to this, e.g. a free premium ship. If you're not after that, then you can just go for the things that you find interesting and ignore the tasks that would take you too long or otherwise just buy the premium ship in the shop. I understand that Benham required a lot of effort and time investment to be achieved for free but it was also the first Tier IX to be obtained for free this way and we wanted to test it. I'll see what we can do in terms of changing up things.

Edit(h) says: I hear you when it comes to the aspect of grind and we do provide this feedback to the Devs.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,498 posts
14,506 battles
30 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

For Bayard - can't comment yet :Smile_hiding:

No worries, thanks the response... I know there have been lots of new ships but that one looked v. interesting.... we shall await further news!

Players
2,012 posts
4,794 battles

26th July?

Let's see, my options are:

1. Grind out a super-grindy grindfest for new ships being added to WoWS, an unblanced PvP MOBA game; or,
  2. Play Fire Emblem Three Houses, a new single-player strategy RPG that looks like it could have an interesting story and lovable characters.

Welp, I'll see you in another month, WG!:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,349 posts
9,471 battles

Ladies and gents,

I've cleaned up the thread a little bit.

Even though discussing about the future / wanted ship lines / nations for the game is great,

This thread is about French destroyers, and their introduction grind into the game.

So please keep it inside the topic,

Cheers

• Funny 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,240 posts
22 hours ago, Aotearas said:

That's how you suck the enjoyment out of playing the game

This. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed WoWS in months now. All due to the events and the pressure that is being put on the players to participate. And once you're out of the loop (because you're not obliged to participate), it's very hard to get back into it.

[T-N-T]
Players
3,491 posts
15,706 battles
6 hours ago, Excavatus said:

This thread is about French destroyers, and their introduction grind into the game.

This is priceless. :Smile_teethhappy:

Well, at least this grind should be less of a pain than the Benham one (small victories, eh?). And since there doesn't seem to be anything interesting available for the tokens anyway, thankfully there's nothing forcing you to really grind much.

Still, if you're interested, @Crysantos some down time between "events" would really be nice. Not piling up directives on top of bundles, tokens and container missions all at the same time for instance would also help.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,349 posts
9,471 battles
1 hour ago, Toivia said:

This is priceless

I was a player before being a mod.. still a player, will be a player after I'd leave one day :)

• Cool 2

[N0RSE]
Players
172 posts
9,463 battles
4 hours ago, Toivia said:

This is priceless. :Smile_teethhappy:

Well, at least this grind should be less of a pain than the Benham one (small victories, eh?). And since there doesn't seem to be anything interesting available for the tokens anyway, thankfully there's nothing forcing you to really grind much.

Still, if you're interested, @Crysantos some down time between "events" would really be nice. Not piling up directives on top of bundles, tokens and container missions all at the same time for instance would also help.

Well, as one being unable to totally do the rogue wave event I sort of understand your point of view, but then I don't. I cannot really expect to be able to participate in everything that goes on, that's plain stupid. However, I try to take part in what I can and pay attention to deals ans special offers whilst away from the game. For the ones that actually do thoroughly love and enjoy the game, why shouldn't WG cater to them? It makes sense for them to have more events, events whilst CB or ranked goes on. Yeah, pretty bad if you're in a clan that actively do CB, but then you have a choice. It would be impossible to make everything available always to everybody.... The Rogue Wave seems grindy, but even I could manage to get the Benhame at a fair discount compared to Missoury or Alaska or any of the other free exp ships....

Have a nice summer..  back in the game on Sunday!!!

[T-N-T]
Players
3,491 posts
15,706 battles

As a person being able to play daily for many many hours, I find that events actually requiring all that time are just plain stupid.

All events in the game should be doable by a reasonably active and capable person. That person being someone that perhaps cannot play every day for many hours, but will be able to catch up on say a weekend when he puts in more time to make up for a day when he could only spend half an hour in game. Or even occasions when he simply couldn't play on a particular day at all.

Then you have people that only play like half the days of the week for an hour at most, those obviously cannot hope to really progress in the large events.

And then people that play one day in a week, many hours or not. Those probably won't even know of many events and wouldn't really care.

Players
86 posts

Me after work, going home:

• "Oh yes, finally done for today!! :cap_win:"

2 seconds later (a ridiculous pixel boat grind fest comes into mind):

• "Oooh crap, I'm not done yet... I have to work for another 1,5-2 hours... :cap_fainting:"
  • Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
4,811 posts
11,791 battles
On 7/18/2019 at 1:37 PM, Crysantos said:

I understand that Benham required a lot of effort and time investment to be achieved for free but it was also the first Tier IX to be obtained for free this way and we wanted to test it.

FWIW I don't mind these 'long grind' things going on now and again (and Benham was quite a worthwhile reward), but I do object to being effectively forced to play the special event - Rogue Wave would have been fun for a few dozen games, but the number required for efficiently getting Benham made me entirely hate it by the end.

This could have been avoided by providing 'normal ship' alternatives to the credit grind that had to be done in Rogue Wave.

Compared to this, the French thing looks to be rather superior, as it doesn't (at this stage) force to play something so much that I'll end up hating it.

What I would suggest though is that in amongst (and probably at the same time as) the grindy stuff, you put in a few more short events for meaningful (but not excessive) rewards; at the moment, if you don't have a lot of free time, you'll look over the long grinds, realise you can't achieve them, and go off and do something else instead. I assume the goal over the summer is to keep server numbers up in the face of lots of competition from more 'outdoors' stuff - this sort of thing might help with that? Long grinds keep the 'no lifers' engaged, whilst short events might encourage those with lives and jobs to drop in to play more frequently?

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Players
3,491 posts
15,706 battles
7 hours ago, Verblonde said:

FWIW I don't mind these 'long grind' things going on now and again (and Benham was quite a worthwhile reward), but I do object to being effectively forced to play the special event - Rogue Wave would have been fun for a few dozen games, but the number required for efficiently getting Benham made me entirely hate it by the end.

This could have been avoided by providing 'normal ship' alternatives to the credit grind that had to be done in Rogue Wave.

Compared to this, the French thing looks to be rather superior, as it doesn't (at this stage) force to play something so much that I'll end up hating it.

What I would suggest though is that in amongst (and probably at the same time as) the grindy stuff, you put in a few more short events for meaningful (but not excessive) rewards; at the moment, if you don't have a lot of free time, you'll look over the long grinds, realise you can't achieve them, and go off and do something else instead. I assume the goal over the summer is to keep server numbers up in the face of lots of competition from more 'outdoors' stuff - this sort of thing might help with that? Long grinds keep the 'no lifers' engaged, whilst short events might encourage those with lives and jobs to drop in to play more frequently?

It's funny that I had absolutely no issue with the credit grind in savage battles. Unlike the daily missions you had to complete every day, this credit grind you had 4 weeks to pick and choose whenever you want to complete it. Be it a couple games every day or a long focused grind on a couple particular days and be done with it.

What I really hated was the constant fear that for whatever reason*, I would miss a day of daily missions and would lose the chance of getting Benham. Like whether I found time daily for the grind wasn't in no way guarantee that I would eventually get Benham. That's what drove me crazy all along this grind.

*ISP issues, power outages due to severely strong storms at the moment, WG server issues, computer issues, etc.

• Cool 3