Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
TohtoriP

USS Black still worth the steel post CV-rework?

5 comments in this topic

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
348 posts
6,308 battles

After the CV reworks how do you rate the Black? Is it worth the 14 000 steel? Do you think there are better alternatives or possible steel ships upcoming?

The Black seemed very powerful on many respects on release and in tier 9 ranked season. However I got Musashi and Kronstadt already as tier 9 premiums so is it worth to get Black to compelement those two?

Players
1,832 posts
12,938 battles

Long smoke, radar, very good concealment, nice enough guns, top lol torps...

Black is still great. Very few (if any) DDs are good against CVs anyway, and on top of that you can expect the number of CVs to diminish once the initial rework fever has passed so it shouldn't be a major consideration.

I can't see why would you compare them to a BB and BC, absolutely different playstyle.

[MORIA]
Players
7,350 posts
36,697 battles

It's good but you have to make full gunboat build. Torps are just an addition. I'm having it and it has good potential. Ofc you need to play it carefully , your AA is on same level as Fletcher (though it has less Bofors guns :Smile_sceptic:)

Players
3,130 posts
10,836 battles

They play very well the ones i've been up against.  Because it's steel, they tend to attached the better players so there's that too.

Those that forget it's strengths (radar) will feel it's pain but when that runs out...It's basically a Fletcher with worse torps and dies like a Fletcher.  When it starts to smoke, then kite and throw torps.  He is more likely to stay in the smoke due to reliance on his radar and the hope the enemy is dumb enough to steam towards him. 

I'm telling you this for what to expect. 

But it's a good ship.  HOWEVER, there are better ships to spend steel on if that is a thing. 

The question is, do you want to spend steel on a Fletcher with radar? Like getting a Salam if you have a Des?

if you want a totally different kinda ship then no. If you like the Fletcher but what another gimmick, then yes mate. 

Oh when i say "worse" torps, that what most people say (can see both sides).  But being a Sims player i know how good they can be if used correctly. Never understate the power of just throwing alot of torps out with quick reload. 

It's concealment  is like 1 km better then the Fletcher but trust me, that means nothing really unless he's already turning. 

I WOULD get it as it's a Sims/Lo-Yang/Fletcher hybrid, 3 ships i really enjoy but that's the problem.  I already sail those ships, not including the KIDD which i love.  So do i need it? Not really. Does it give me a different play style? Not really. 

Beta Tester
3,168 posts
3,608 battles

I gathered steel like a hamster on speed last winter, with the sole objective of getting myself the USS Black. I succeeded just in time to sail her into that season's tier IX ranked battles, which focused on gathering bonus drops while avoiding getting killed. And I had an absolute blast!

The USS Black plays in most ways like a normal high-tier USN destroyer... except in those instances when she doesn't. Due to the exceedingly slow speed of her torpedoes (43 knots), they are not ideal for close range island ambushes or the dreaded torpedo death rush. Instead, they are basically weapons of area denial, and very good ones at that - they have a 13.7 km range, they can do a lot of damage, and their low detection radius means that an enemy ship without hydro up and  running probably won't see them in time to be able to dodge. I tend to regard them as a sort of float mines, and use them accordingly. They reload pretty quickly as well, so you can use them quite a lot.

With the torpedoes out of the way, the USS Black is also an accomplished gunboat. She has the usual set of five 127 mm rapid-firing guns that we are accustomed to find on high-tier USN destroyers, and any destroyer that finds itself in a knife fight with the Black, will have its hands full. And this sort of situation is also where the Black's radar can be used to best advantage. Engage the enemy destroyer, hope he smokes up, and if he does - smoke up yourself, hit the radar button, and blast the bugger!* Then get out quickly before the torpedoes arrive - rinse, and repeat!

With the AA/CV situation still in a flux, it's not all that meaningful to say very much about the Black's AA capabilities. Suffice to say that I've found them adequate for the task, which is situational self-defence - she doesn't have access to the defensive AA consumable, so she wont be a likely top contender in any Turkey shoot. I mostly keep my AA guns silent until the planes actually spot me.

All in all, and with the usual reservations for personal preferences, I feel that I can still safely recommend the USS Black for steel. She's a solid ship, and although her special smoke+radar combo shouldn't be relied on as a all-round trump card, it can come in pretty handy when the stars align. (When they don't, drop some torpedoes and get out.)

* Evil cackling laughter is, at this juncture, optional.

Sign in to follow this