You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OdinDarkside

Radar Rework Idea's

10 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
2,535 battles

Hi guys,

So, recently, in a game with clan mates after a count in, we were on opposing teams, dd's & mino's, pitted against each other, and at a bit of a stand off with islands between us...... until I popped my radar and caught them off guard, thinking I had smokes. 

Anyways, after a bit of light hearted insulting and jovial name calling, I proposed an idea for radar, which was well received, so I'll bring it to the forum to discuss, and maybe a dev will see it and pay attention to it's potential for improved game play and to make the game less....... annoying....

So, I proposed that radar should 'pulse' the location of other ships, periodically revealing the location for a second or 2, then go dark for a few more. I also think ranges should be increased with this change. Also, it shouldn't reveal ships out of line of sight, behind islands, it cant do this irl, and shouldn't in game.

The impact on game play would be beneficial I think. Involving more dynamic DD play (I play DD's a lot recently). 

I would appreciate other's thoughts on this. Also, if this has been discussed before in the forum's I apologize forthwith, I just wanted to see the communities reactions and if a dev would support this.

Regards,

Odes. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PANEU]
Players
1,401 posts
14,565 battles

That was proposed few times and was well discarded as the game UI will not support that nor it will help for reducing focusing since pulses will be seen in different time frames. 

Edited: be nice to each other!
Exca

• Bad 4

[SHAFT]
Players
9,797 posts
8,977 battles

They already tested LoS radar and they didnt like it. Which is good, because LoS radar is bad for everyone. "Doesnt work IRL" is always a bad arguement for game balancing.

To the other proposal: How you wanna react in 1 sec or 2? Some people have rendering times for several seconds, not sure how that would even work out.

Also: Radar got reworked couple of months ago. I dont think, WG sees any need to do more. Even the Radar "nerf" wasnt really one anyway, i think it was just to make the community shut their mouths :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles

Nah, it was already purposed many times in the past: bad idea, would make radar useless...

Players
2 posts
2,535 battles

Ok, well enough said. Only just came back to to game after almost 2 years away. Didn't realize it had been reworked. Also didn't take into account of rendering ect. Shame though, I do think it would make better gameplay. 

Also Episparh, No need to insult me or my intelligence, I was just proposing something I thought would make the game more fun. Not like I had tried to insist that square wheels work better. All I think of you now is that you'r uncouth and rude. 

As for Dfens and Bics, thanks for the input and the information. I'll 'shut my mouth' now :)

• Cool 1

[PANEU]
Players
1,401 posts
14,565 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Also: Radar got reworked couple of months ago. I dont think, WG sees any need to do more. Even the Radar "nerf" wasnt really one anyway, i think it was just to make the community shut their mouths :Smile_trollface:

And concealment expert got reworked also... So you are not quite right, the changes give a competent DD player enough time to wiggy-wiggy out of radar range. 

The only ships surprised by radar are the one that sit stationary behind rock or smoke or the one that assume a radar capable ship, like Minotar, is using smoke. 

[PANEU]
Players
1,401 posts
14,565 battles
7 minutes ago, OdinDarkside said:

Also Episparh, No need to insult me or my intelligence,

I didn't insult anyone, especialy the one who made Radar Mino work. Just suggesting that instead of blaming mechanics one should first try to use brain. 

[SHAFT]
Players
9,797 posts
8,977 battles
58 minutes ago, Episparh said:

And concealment expert got reworked also... So you are not quite right, the changes give a competent DD player enough time to wiggy-wiggy out of radar range. 

The only ships surprised by radar are the one that sit stationary behind rock or smoke or the one that assume a radar capable ship, like Minotar, is using smoke. 

Yeah, but that got offset mostly by longer radar ranges. As a DD, you can spot them more easily, but you still cant reach them with torps, since those didnt get changed. :cap_yes:

I mean, the supposed radar rework wasnt really a nerf. Overall i believe, the change was unnecessary.

[PANEU]
Players
1,401 posts
14,565 battles
35 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Yeah, but that got offset mostly by longer radar ranges. As a DD, you can spot them more easily, but you still cant reach them with torps, since those didnt get changed. :cap_yes:

I mean, the supposed radar rework wasnt really a nerf. Overall i believe, the change was unnecessary.

Well, the radar is designed as hard counter to DDs' ultimate concealment and smoke. Why should there be a way to work around it without risking anything.

I personally have no problem torping Radar CA/CL with 10km torps especialy after the radar was used. 

The thing is that some people instantly blame the radar without trying to reflect on what they have done wrong. 

... It was the evil radar, then the evil CV, then radar again. 

I am tired of seeing 3 of 4 DDs in a team dieing in first 3 minutes just because sitting stationary in smoke broadside to supposed enemy direction.. As if smokes are not magnets for torps and radars. 

The offset of radar was changed yes, but there is still a gap in concealment and radar range. And this gap is usually complient with shell velocity AKA faster shell == larger gap, slower shells == smaller gap. The team spotting delay gives enough time to avoid fatal outcome due to error of judgement. 

RN CLs and some DDs may be exception, but you should consider that they are also very fragile ships. 

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
281 posts
12,480 battles

Radar doesn't need a rework its fine as it is. It has worked before the 6second delay and it also works quite well now. If you get caught with your pants down by radar it is most likely on your back. Besides there are to many potatoes misusing radar; as soon as they spawn, when they are not in range etc. Players need to learn what ship has radar and how to play around it. 

The meta would be even more campy, passive and smokey if radar wasnt the way it is now.