You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Henning_15

Finland WW2 Battleship Ilmarinen 

5 comments in this topic

[VION]
Players
30 posts
2,167 battles

Ilmarinen was a Finnish Navy Panssarilaiva ("Armored ship"; a coastal defence ship by British classification). The unit was constructed at the Crichton-Vulcan shipyard in Turku, Finland, and named after the mythological hero Ilmarinen from the Finnish national epic, the Kalevala. Ilmarinen was the flagship of the Navy from 1 May 1933 until her demise on 13 September 1941.

sterkasfuck.thumb.png.828ed9a3068e12162723f6ff1a6607a1.png

The vessels had a compact design, with a high mast and large turrets for main and secondary artillery. Foreign comments on their design ranged from puns to praise. Not truly designed for open sea operations, the ships had a tendency to roll slowly and widely even in moderate seas. Travel on them was unpleasant, but deemed safe. Additional keels were later fitted, which improved the situation somewhat.

Väinämöinen and Ilmarinen had a displacement of 3,900 tonnes, a maximum length of 93 metres (305 ft), and a draught of 4.50 metres (14.8 ft). Requirements of speed and range were moderate, as they were expected to operate near their home bases. Both vessels were equipped with four diesel engines that powered two electrical engines. These generated a total of 4,800 horsepower (3,600 kW). There were also two smaller 100 hp (75 kW) auxiliary diesel engines. Maximum speed was 14.5 knots (26.9 km/h; 16.7 mph), and range was limited by the vessels' carrying capacity of only 93 tonnes of diesel oil.

The four 254 mm (10 in) Bofors guns were massive for vessels of this size, and they could hurl a 225 kg (496 lb) shell up to 31 kilometres (19 mi). The secondary artillery consisted of eight 105 mm (4 in) dual-purpose Bofors guns in four turrets. These were the primary defense against fast torpedo boats and aircraft. Additionally, the ships were equipped with four 40 mm anti-aircraft guns (initially British-made "pom-pom" guns, which, after mediocre performance in the Winter War, were replaced with Bofors guns) and two Madsen 20 mm cannons (later increased to eight).

The purpose of the coastal defence ships was to prevent landing operations and naval blockades that threatened vital sea trade. Thanks to the construction of vast defensive systems during the czarist era, Finland had strong coastal artillery in permanent positions. These defenses were to be supplemented with minefields in times of unrest. One of the main purposes of the navy was to buy time for ground forces to deploy to the islands in the Archipelago. In these confined spaces, coastal defence ships armed with 254 mm main artillery would have been a tough opponent for any ship of the era.

The Soviet Baltic Fleet was the obvious threat, and the Finnish vessels were meant to deter the largest Soviet ships, such as the battleships Marat and Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya, as well as the cruiser Kirov, from venturing too close to Finnish shores.

Tier II Premium Battleship Ilmarinen

SURVIVABILITY

Hitpoints: 31000

ARTILLERY

4 × 2  254 mm (10 in)/45 cal Bofors guns (2 × 2)

Reload TIme: 30 s

180 Turn Time: 50

Maximum Dispersion: 150

Maximum HE Shell Damage: 5100

Chance Of HE Shells Causing A Fire On Target: 30 %

HE Shell Armor Penetration Capacity: 60 mm

Maximum AP Shell Damage: 7900

Main Battery Firing Range: 15.0 km

SECONDARY ARMAMENT

8 × 4  105 mm (4 in)/50 cal Bofors DP guns (4 × 2)

Reload Time: 7.2 s

Firing Range: 5.0 km

Maximum HE Shell Damage: 1500 

Chance Of HE Shells Causing A Fire On Target: 5.5 %

HE Shell Armor Penetration Capacity: 16 mm

AA DEFENCE

4 × 254 mm/45 cal Bofors guns (2 × 2)

8 × 105 mm/50 cal Bofors DP guns (4 × 2)

4 × 40 mm/56 cal Bofors AA M/36S guns (1 × 2, 2 × 1)

4 × 20 mm/60 cal Madsen AA guns (4 × 1)

AA Reinforcement: 25 %

Sector Reinforcement time: 10 %

Sector Reinforcement shift time: 10 %

MANEUVERABILITY

Maximum Speed: 17.0 knots

Turning Circle Radius: 440 m

Rudder Shift Time: 10.0 s 

CONCEALMENT

Detectability Range By Sea: 13.1 km

Detectability Range By Air: 6.4 km

Assured Detectability Range: 2.0 km

Detectability After Firing Main Guns in Smoke: 10.6 km

ARMOR LAYOUT

Deck: 18 mm

Armor Belt: 130 mm

Conning Tower: 250 mm

• Cool 2

Players
7,048 posts
245 battles

10km main battery range?

30 sec reload with 8 254mm's?

It would be better if it was 15km range, 24 sec reload at least.

max speed of 17 knots. And 5km secondary range.

Lot of these ships seem to be not only be really slow, but have terrible dpm as well.

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Players
9,705 posts
6,864 battles

I think the ship might struggle at T3. Maybe it would be something for T2 but that isn’t a tier you spend a lot of time in.

One could give her a better rate of fire maybe?

[VION]
Players
30 posts
2,167 battles
7 hours ago, CptBarney said:

10km main battery range?

30 sec reload with 8 254mm's?

It would be better if it was 15km range, 24 sec reload at least.

max speed of 17 knots. And 5km secondary range.

Lot of these ships seem to be not only be really slow, but have terrible dpm as well.

Thank you for helping me with this I am really bad at stats and stuff

Players
7,048 posts
245 battles

Don't get me wrong i like the ships, in general i think the high armour low speed thing is quite interesting for the cruiser but the bb's seem undergunned and have bad dpm for their caliber and number of guns i guess.

Also for secondaries thats just more of a personal gripe, i just like secondaries too be useful (otherwise the secondary buff skills might as be removed).

I hope these at some point appear in the pan european tech tree.

Also nice to see they have AA so they can at least defend themselves against planes or help anyways.

Ahh fook just realised it was a tier 2 not a tier 3, hmm maybe 26 secs would be fine then, i thought it was tier 3 (was looking at other ships you did at tier 3 a the time). Since mikasa has 30 secs but with bigger guns.

Probs shave main gun battery to 12.5km, that way your ship has faster firing guns, worse caliber, slower, more accurate, longer range secondaries, longer range guns, but worse concealment with similiar mobility.

Didnt realise you changed it to tier 3, i was thinking about ganguts, wyomings and orions the ship would have to face. At least it wont have to worry about planes anymore.