Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NikolayKuznetsov

Why run at the end?

29 comments in this topic

Players
524 posts
3,157 battles

Legit question, I don't get it. It happens almost every battle that one or two ships on the enemy team sail towards a corner of the map.
Surely they can't all be trolls looking to waste your time because they're salty about losing, there's not that many salty people around and

they'd be wasting their own time anyway. Service fee is the same if you survive, so what is it? Do u get more credits/xp if you live longer?

I'm not talking about BBs hugging the edge of the map the entire game, I understand that, they're pussies, some people are, well, pussies.
People running at the end of the match though, there has to be a reason for this that I'm blissfully unaware of.

Not really annoyed by it, just curious. Just had an enemy hindenburg, he was 1V8 or something, all he did was run and let points tick in our favor.
Was he a jerk or was he doing something clever?

• Funny 1

Players
524 posts
3,157 battles
8 minutes ago, PonyOnSteroids said:

Still thinking they are saving credits by staying alive.

I see, but it's inaccurate? Some people just think that it works like that? Should get the word out to them somehow because it's making the last five minutes of many games needlessly boring.
If they want more credits wouldn't it make more sense to yolo the 1V8 or whatever and get some more damage in.

Players
78 posts
796 battles

Yes, exactly that. Instead of being mindless border hugging zombies they should put every effort in to get as much dmg done before the game ends or getting killed. 

Players
2,878 posts
19,258 battles

I never give up surviving and a chance to go down fighting with the best possible odds to kill even if the match is a definite loss. I see players give up even before it's an assured loss. Hell I see people give up at start because they have some shitty mod installed that tells them the team WR is crap. Either find me and kill me properly, or waste your time trying. It's often also time with a chance on highly satisfying kills when enemies rush me thinking I'm easy prey. Has nothing to do with repair costs. I just never give up and will always try to dictate terms of engagement.

• Cool 11
  • Bad 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,937 posts
19,756 battles

The longer you live, the more damage you can do, the better your economy is at the end of a match.

It is only when you know that you can't escape fast enough that a suicide charge makes more economic sense.

Although yeah, most players still don't know that you don't save any money by surviving.

• Cool 12

Players
1,114 posts
13,017 battles

True unless it is kiting while shooting trying to get as much damage as they can before the end of the match same with CVs, the other time it might be good is when you have tanked enough damage to get the dreadnought achievement.

But otherwise yeah it is a waste of time...

• Cool 1

Players
2,305 posts
20,706 battles

If your team has caps, then it keeps accumulating points as long as you are alive. AFK  players have gained the Solo Warrior award because of this.

However, if I do this, I'm usually in a DD and a) trying to get torps of and/or b) trying to annoy you as much as possible.

Because why stop now what I've been doing the whole game?

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,874 posts
14,399 battles
  • Fighting longer (team might get more points)
  • Doing more damage (more credit and XP)
  • Better chance to kill someone (more credit and XP and team gets more points)
  • when you survive, your survival rate goes up, and in some ships you can get Dreanought and Fireproof
  • Cool 6

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,348 posts
8,153 battles
4 hours ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Legit question, I don't get it. It happens almost every battle that one or two ships on the enemy team sail towards a corner of the map.
Surely they can't all be trolls looking to waste your time because they're salty about losing, there's not that many salty people around and

they'd be wasting their own time anyway. Service fee is the same if you survive, so what is it? Do u get more credits/xp if you live longer?

I'm not talking about BBs hugging the edge of the map the entire game, I understand that, they're pussies, some people are, well, pussies.
People running at the end of the match though, there has to be a reason for this that I'm blissfully unaware of.

Not really annoyed by it, just curious. Just had an enemy hindenburg, he was 1V8 or something, all he did was run and let points tick in our favor.

There is always a few Options for this.

He might Simply still think that Surviving Spares him Repair Cost.

This is still more common than People think.

I myself still believed this to be true till just a Month or so ago.

By Kiting a Single Enemy he will Survive longer and Possibly still get a Kill or at least extra Damage to Push his Reward for the Battle.

This is not a rare case for me either. If I am last and the Battle is lost anyways. I will try to Run in order to only Remain in Range of 1 or 2 Enemies and thus have more Chances to Deal additional Damage or maybe even Score a Kill.

He of course might also simply be a **** which wants to drag out the loss and annoy you.

He might be considerate of his Statistics as Survival Ratio is still a thing.

Just Staying Alive longer actually gives a small Reward Ticker the longer you Survive. So he might just be dragging it out for the small extra Reward.

And the obvious option you always need to consider. He just might be a Noob which is not really paying attention to or understanding the concept of Points and Timer.

And thus still think that if he Survives till Timeout he can Force a Draw or which is simply not thinking about the Battle itself at all and is just Focused on himself and his own Battle he is Fighting up there as he is Running away.

Some People are like this. They dont care much about the Result. They just Fight for Survival to the last regardless of the Games Mechanics.

• Cool 3

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,246 battles

As long as they are shooting and kiting away then that fine because there's still a chance to get damage from them. But if the enemy has all the caps and a person runs away not even showing himself that's just pointless and boring. They have no chance to win and arnt contributing anything to the enemies damage or theirs.

• Cool 4

Players
63 posts
12,555 battles

Survival instinct. They think they are on that ship in RL and that they will die horribly. 

That is only one explanation, for other see above.

In Savage battles that kind of behaviour is more obvious. Many players are scared to fight  1v1 and they run in the arms of teammates. But when you are alone against division of 3 and you play that destroyer that depends on guns and you are kiting them, than they ask why are you running away. Those are the real pussies.

As i see it, if you gain something from running away, than it is understandable, otherwise i dont see the point.

Players
2,905 posts

Good answers, covered everything. Just want to add that there's a psychological factor as well of people wanting to live till the end and just not die and has nothing with any kind of strategy but above posts said pretty much everything. Truth is I sometimes get demotivated in a game it happens and some others I just don't want to give the enemy any further satisfaction it depends on my mood :)

[RNSF]
Players
1,401 posts
14,691 battles

Some players also run for stats... Battles survived 

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,934 posts
10,638 battles

If I'm being chased by 4 ships, including 1 of them an unspotted DD at the end,

I will run away and kite away while trying to farm as much damage I can,

The longer I survive, the longer I can farm damage so I get more credits and XP.

And I think it is some kind of survival instinct.. most of the people turn away and start to run when they are chased by a group.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
6,596 posts
24,873 battles

@OP becouse the more damage you do more cash and xp you make in the end, win or lose you still get more if you have done more, besides you can get achievements for staying alive as long as possible and dealing damage and kills that get you flags, why would you forfiet all of that so some pri:etc_swear: can have a "faster battle"? You are bored in a winning team? Suicide and move on...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,638 battles

Well, if our team leads in points, it is still possible to win simply by surviving but most often (and since I usually play torp Cruisers or DD's), if the last one left I would seek to stay alive as long as possible in order to score additional torp hits (they will need some time to reach the target anyway) &  maximize damage, even if the game is otherwise lost. Not quite sure what I would do if playing with a BB though - Perhaps just charge the nearest enemy or something, Hmmm...:Smile_izmena::cap_hmm::cap_old:

Never did even consider the economics though. But on the other hand, why bother?:Smile_coin:

image.png

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

If they're kiting, just kill them. They can still farm plenty damage and thus rewards even on a lost match.

If they're actively hiding on a lost battle only two options make sense:

1. Staying alive to get the Dreadnought, Fireproof and/or Unsinkable achievement
  2. Still enough time left on the clock to make a couple stealth torpedo attacks.

In any other scenario (assuming the match is most definately going to result in a loss no matter what you do), opening up fire is always going to be the best rewarded cause of action as every bit of extra damage you deal, no matter how little, is more XP and credits.

Players
1,737 posts
18,657 battles

Mostly I think it's that a lot of people believe it will reduce their repair costs, but it could well be they are on course to earn a dreadnought or fireproof. 

Although I think that's rarely the case, usually I have found the kind of people who do that are the the ones who have hung back all battle and not really engaged or taken any damage. Still I think there are enough different reasons to explain a lot of circumstances. I will certainly try to do as much damage as possible before I die or the clock runs out. 

Whats more frustrating is when when your team is on course to win the last guy left alive just has to run out the clock but they can't help themselves and give away their location. 

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,794 posts
16,963 battles
1 hour ago, Aotearas said:

If they're actively hiding on a lost battle only two options make sense:

1. Staying alive to get the Dreadnought, Fireproof and/or Unsinkable achievement
  2. Still enough time left on the clock to make a couple stealth torpedo attacks.

How about 3. Spite? When talking about the rewards of the game you simply can't ignore the phychological rewards / satisfaction for the losing player. For example, why should I grant the enemy team easily farmed damage and an additional kill even if I can get one or two additional (phychologically insignificant) salvos out? Why should I be forced to 'pay the bill' if my team was steamrolled elsewhere? No, if they want to kill me they have to find me and even if they find me I will make them work for their money. Been there, done that...

• Cool 1

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
11 hours ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

trying to do some more dmg? Personal stats chaser....sometimes even the game is lost you can wokr on your personal statistic ...no idea

Players
524 posts
3,157 battles

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, i'll cringe less knowing why they might be doing it. If I'm the last man standing I sail around capping and torping things because DD main, running never occured to me. If I'm the last man standing in my CA's or BB's I charge in, get some more damage done and into the next match asap.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this