You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lexmechanic

Talking Ship, A.K.A. teach us, Wargaming!

27 comments in this topic

[WTFNO]
Players
128 posts

TL;DR Nobody knows how to pronounce ship names. Wargaming should show us.

Let's face it: nobody knows how to pronounce all ship names correctly and it clearly bothers people. Every other video or stream has the content creator apologizing for butchering the name of a ship. Even Wargaming struggles as between the Full Ahead videos, the How it Works and official streams, a single ship can have 4 different pronunciations (Fuso anyone? :fish_boom:). Some youtubers tried to make tutorials for single ship lines but it's all a bit disjointed and not exactly high quality.

Wargaming: you're a global company. Besides, the cost of a voiceover round of 300 words, split into several languages, is nothing to you. Please, create an official reference, a video or a soundboard, that teaches us both the correct pronunciation and accent. Is it YAmato or yaMAto? And so on.

Why?

• people care a lot about history and trivia about the ships we play, surely knowing how "Henry Four' was really called will be interesting
  • some people just want to keep learning and speak correctly; learning languages through videogames is fun
  • it will make WG look good if your own company releases use correct ship names
  • we'll stop hearing CCs apologize for not knowing how to say 'Duguay-Trouin' :Smile_trollface:

I used two French ships as examples because I myself struggle with them but there are many more troublemakers in the bunch, with Worcester still sparking debates on Discords once in a while. With the release of French DDs, some with really cool LOOKING names, it would be a great time to do something like this. Heck, enlist your own staff and CCs as native speakers, record this professionally and release it. Thank you in advance!

cc: @Crysantos@MrConway

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Players
1,712 posts
18,593 battles

Would be interesting to hear how they should be pronounced, I am quickly corrected on the Japanese ship names by my better half but some nations are hard work.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,869 posts
9,434 battles

Sure.

Or you could paste the name into Google Translate and let it tell you how it's pronounced.

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
780 posts
6,957 battles

I agree. If you got these awesome and magestic historical figures in a game, at least let people be able to pronounce them right. And although there might be fun to be had in the search for the right pronounciations, some are impossible to find out. 

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
128 posts
41 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

Sure.

Or you could paste the name into Google Translate and let it tell you how it's pronounced.

Google Translate is very bad at accents and pronunciation isn't always correct, especially for non-standard words like peoples' names. It's a start of course but hardly a complete resource.

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,334 posts
10,110 battles
9 hours ago, ScoutMkoll said:

Let's face it: nobody knows how to pronounce all ship names correctly and it clearly bothers people.

Maybe I'm being a douchebag here but I don't seem to have that problem and it doesnt bother me if I hear people say things like "grosser curry wurst" instead of the real name. As long as I know which ship they mean.

Not that I'm pronouncing them all 100% historically accurate (like on which syllable to put the emphasis with Japanese ships) but I can't find any ship names that are really hard to pronounce. I can imagine if you only speak English and all other languages are gibberish to you that it's hard to figure out though. 

But getting annoyed by people mispronouncing shipnames seems kind of unfair to those people to me. Even if WG told us exactly how to pronounce them, if people want to pronounce them differently who are we to judge them? 

Same with camos. Some people want everything to be historically accurate. Some don't care. 

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
128 posts
45 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Maybe I'm being a douchebag here but I don't seem to have that problem and it doesnt bother me if I hear people say things like "grosser curry wurst" instead of the real name. As long as I know which ship they mean.

Not that I'm pronouncing them all 100% historically accurate (like on which syllable to put the emphasis with Japanese ships) but I can't find any ship names that are really hard to pronounce. I can imagine if you only speak English and all other languages are gibberish to you that it's hard to figure out though. 

But getting annoyed by people mispronouncing shipnames seems kind of unfair to those people to me. Even if WG told us exactly how to pronounce them, if people want to pronounce them differently who are we to judge them? 

Same with camos. Some people want everything to be historically accurate. Some don't care. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Currywurst or Le Horrible and so on. My objective here isn't to go after people mispronouncing difficult ship names either. My point is that there's no verifiable, official reference on how to do it properly IF someone cares. Just like historical camos and the Armada videos exist next to the Space Battles, I'd like there to be a resource we can easily refer to WHEN and IF we want to. Surely, if  it's worth creating videos about turning paper ships into in-game models (very cool!), it should be worth creating a guide on how to pronounce the ship names.

I'm all for being inclusive in the game, much like there's a toggle to disable anime camos at will, giving the people who care knowledge on how their ships are really called won't hurt anyone's ability to Republique the Republic.

• Cool 1

WG Staff
3,368 posts
14,239 battles
10 hours ago, ScoutMkoll said:

TL;DR Nobody knows how to pronounce ship names. Wargaming should show us.

Let's face it: nobody knows how to pronounce all ship names correctly and it clearly bothers people. Every other video or stream has the content creator apologizing for butchering the name of a ship. Even Wargaming struggles as between the Full Ahead videos, the How it Works and official streams, a single ship can have 4 different pronunciations (Fuso anyone? :fish_boom:). Some youtubers tried to make tutorials for single ship lines but it's all a bit disjointed and not exactly high quality.

Wargaming: you're a global company. Besides, the cost of a voiceover round of 300 words, split into several languages, is nothing to you. Please, create an official reference, a video or a soundboard, that teaches us both the correct pronunciation and accent. Is it YAmato or yaMAto? And so on.

Why?

• people care a lot about history and trivia about the ships we play, surely knowing how "Henry Four' was really called will be interesting
  • some people just want to keep learning and speak correctly; learning languages through videogames is fun
  • it will make WG look good if your own company releases use correct ship names
  • we'll stop hearing CCs apologize for not knowing how to say 'Duguay-Trouin' :Smile_trollface:

I used two French ships as examples because I myself struggle with them but there are many more troublemakers in the bunch, with Worcester still sparking debates on Discords once in a while. With the release of French DDs, some with really cool LOOKING names, it would be a great time to do something like this. Heck, enlist your own staff and CCs as native speakers, record this professionally and release it. Thank you in advance!

Not making any promises, but I like the idea. I'll definitely get you a recording for the upcoming FR DDs :Smile_honoring:

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 2

[WTFNO]
Players
128 posts
18 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

Not making any promises, but I like the idea. I'll definitely get you a recording for the upcoming FR DDs :Smile_honoring:

Greetings, Crysantos

Thank you, Crysantos! I'll keep my fingers crossed for something more comprehensive down the line.

Beta Tester
1,494 posts
17,365 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, GarrusBrutus sagte:

Maybe I'm being a douchebag here but I don't seem to have that problem and it doesnt bother me if I hear people say things like "grosser curry wurst" instead of the real name...

Wait... what? This isn't the real name?

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
1,494 posts
17,365 battles
Vor 3 Stunden, Nechrom sagte:

Sure.

And that's how we do it in the 21st century.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,444 posts
3 hours ago, Crysantos said:

Greetings, Crysantos

But PLEASE don't have a German pronounce French names. It will not end well :Smile_trollface:

4 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

To be fair, Dutch people generally have a good 'feel' for other languages in the way words/names are pronounced. Probably a case of flexible or even genetically enhanced tongues or something

And it's just a necessity because nobody in the world understands the gibberish that's called Dutch :cap_book: (well except for half of the Belgians and half of the South Africans)

• Funny 1

WG Staff
3,368 posts
14,239 battles
22 minutes ago, Bellegar said:

But PLEASE don't have a German pronounce French names. It will not end well :Smile_trollface:

No, it will be our (very) French Community Manager Tanatoy :Smile_teethhappy:

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,941 battles
2 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

DESS MENS!!!

Fer de Grob :Smile_veryhappy:

Des Moines will forever be Desmond to me thanks to a divmate a long time ago.

• Funny 2

[BLITZ]
Players
2,837 posts
11,153 battles
11 hours ago, ScoutMkoll said:

words like peoples' names

Like "Goths"?

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles
21 hours ago, ScoutMkoll said:

both the correct pronunciation and accent. Is it YAmato or yaMAto? And so on.

Japanese names are fairly straightforward - you pronounce each pair of letters in turn without emphasis.

Eg  Fu-So (not FusO) YaMaTo (not YamAto)

Players
1,712 posts
18,593 battles

If anyone can recommend a good recording software ideally free that I can use to upload the recordings to YouTube. 

I can create videos of the pan Asian and Japanese ship names, as I have access to friends from all those nations. However I warn you the tier 3 pan Asian dd the Thai one is really hard I had to get her to say it about times before I got it- Thai pronunciation is damn hard. 

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,786 posts
16,897 battles

Well I still dont know how to pronounce WARCHESTER :Smile_trollface:

(or was it WURSTER)

[MORIA]
Players
7,344 posts
36,590 battles
5 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

Well I still dont know how to pronounce WARCHESTER :Smile_trollface:

(or was it WURSTER)

Wooster. :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,786 posts
16,897 battles
On 7/17/2019 at 1:03 PM, Bellegar said:

You mean, like Kleber? :Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

4026700482959.jpg

• Funny 1