You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
StarbuckTheThird

Recommend me a Battleship line

59 comments in this topic

Players
50 posts
6,868 battles

Gonna start making a push for a tier X battleship and wouldn't mind knowing the relative advantages of each nations line. 

I don't really have any requisite traits, just wouldn't mind knowing what the advantages of each are before deciding which line to grind. 

Also already have got as far as tier VI on the British and US lines.

[TEC]
Beta Tester
199 posts
11 minutes ago, StarbuckTheThird said:

Gonna start making a push for a tier X battleship and wouldn't mind knowing the relative advantages of each nations line. 

I don't really have any requisite traits, just wouldn't mind knowing what the advantages of each are before deciding which line to grind. 

If the tier X ship in particular will inform which line/nation you'll go with, I'd say Yamato, Kremlin/Slava or Conqueror.

The Conq is mostly a HE spammer, while the others are solid tanky ships that can take a beating as well as handing one out.

The French line could be a dark horse, many players enjoy their playstyle, but I don't know how the French tier X plays or how enjoyable it is.

In the present meta, I wouldn't bother with the US line of bbs, nor the German line above tier 8.

Players
1,706 posts
36 minutes ago, StarbuckTheThird said:

In My Humble Opinion, speaking as a Brawler, and very very competitive, and also aggressive by nature real life, with all the T10 except Montana,

If I had My time again, with hindsight, I would go American.

I except The American Battle Boats are not per say Brawlers, however I think this game is about studying ships and there workings, The part of the game I enjoy the most now, playing smart, as many tournaments, challenges, missions as possible,

When I started not so long ago I got the biggest ship I could ( Alabama ) and went blasting crap for the shake of it with the gun noise turn up to FULL BOOM BOOM Baby ! ....       I was wrong.

Good Luck  

1. Establish your play style 

2. STUDY THE SHIPS

3. Try different tactics

4. Watch you tube and listen to what the contributes say it will save you a lot of money and stars

Keep us in the loop Please, I am interested in which direction you go and why you go there, I may learn something. 

Edited by Capt_Dragunov
spelling error
  • Cool 1

Players
1,112 posts
12,966 battles

If you want to learn the proper way to play BBs it would be best to start off with the US line as they teach about good positioning, angling, picking your engagement range and aim. They are fairly decent at everything and have good AA so CVs won't be too much of a problem. Only downside is the shells are slow so you need a lot of lead on the target but they are very accurate to compensate and it allows you to easily lob shells over multiple islands.

I would not recommend the RN BBs as they teach you really bad habits in BBs like spamming HE and sailing broadside due to the supper protected citadel and spamming HE from max range. An honestly when you get past tier 6 until you reach tier 10 the accuracy on the guns is so bad that it is almost pointless you shoot AP at broadside targets as you are likely to only get 1 shell on the target if that even at close ranges.

The French BBs are also another solid line and are great on the flank with their speed, however with that speed it is easy to over extend, but they are a solid line and for me the only bad ship was the tier 5 one but that might have been due to the uptiering . At high tiers the guns are of 380mm (except the tier 10 which has 431mm) they have a high mussel velocity so are easy to aim and have okay dispersion, the tier 9 even has a 12 gun broadside though with a bit worse accuracy. The tier 10 is very accurate has the same high shell velocity but good accuracy and can overmatch 30mm of armour.

The IJN are solid long range ships with accurate large guns, the tier 8 is very good, the tier 9 was a bit bad, but the Yamato at tier 10 makes up for it as it can overmatch 32mm of armour which is the bow plating of all tier 10 BBs so with a few exceptions it can citadel BBs through the front.

The Germans have every strong and HE resistant armour and a protected citadel the guns have good shell velocity but bad accuracy (but not as bad as RN BBs) the HE shells are low damage but have higher penetration than normal but generally they shouldn't be used unless against DDs and perfectly angled targets. The ships have a very strong secondary battery which with the right build can really rack up the damage but you need to make the situations to get the most out of it and really pick your timing otherwise you will sink.

As for the RU BBs they are probably the strongest currently with Pure Stalinium Armour which almost makes them immune to HE and they have extra armour on the bow which even Yamato can't overmatch. They have a high citadel so you need to angle properly, but the belt is so thick that sometimes even making that mistake isn't that punishing unless at close range. The guns have a high shell velocity and high damage but a slower reload, they also use a different dispersion calculation than means they are absolutely inaccurate at long range but up close they are laser accurate, this tends to kick in at around 10-12km. They also have less heals than other BBs and a limited number of charges on the damage control consumable. Can't say much about the tier 10 other than it is tanky as hell.

Personally I would recommend the US BBs as they will teach you all the basics that can be applied to all other BB lines, then when you feel confident enough then try out some of the others but bare in mind the characteristics of the ships are different so you can't play them all the same way or even at the ranges.

• Cool 4

[SHAFT]
Players
9,859 posts
8,993 battles
34 minutes ago, StarbuckTheThird said:

Yamato: Good accuracy (even more so with the LM), but mostly using frontturrets only, usually more stationary than other BBs, easiest BB to punish, biggest guns in the game which let you punish angled ships.

Montana: 12 guns with good accuracy. One of the smaller calibers tho, so you lack overmatch capability against Cruisers (will get worse if planned changes to plating will come through)

GK: 12 guns, not so good accuracy. Doesnt get citadelled easily, but takes massive penetration damage due to its size. Very durable against HE shells, so quite tanky overall. Can be played with secnodaries. Same caliber guns as Montana which lack overmatch.

Repub: Fast and guns are accurate, also good reload because only 8 of them. Vulnerable to HE shells.

Kremlin: Good accuracy shortrange, supposedly bad accuracy longrange (doesnt feel like it tho). Very tanky against AP when angled, and HE too. Has limited amount of DCPs, but with shorter cooldown. Has a citadel when showing too much broadside.

Conqueror: Will get changed soon, will get a Citadel. Has the best repair party. Very strong HE, but vulnerable to HE shells in return aswell.

[LADA]
Players
566 posts
8,795 battles

*Cracks Knuckles* 

Do you want to fling HE all day, every day, burning down whatever poor sod sits in your way? - Grind the British Line and become hated for it. Because us Brits make excellent villains. Armour not great, AP performance not brilliant. HE stupidly strong and later tiers get the ability to heal silly amounts of HP back.

Do you want to run around like a headless chicken sending shots everywhere BUT at the target? French BBs are great for this (fast, but their gun dispersion is waaaafty). Quite well armoured at higher tiers and secondary/AA power is good.

German line is good for short-range secondary builds. The Bismarck is probably one of the most 'fun' T8 BBs - the T9 erm… less so. Just don't expect to be able to hit anything at long range. Difficult to play well without overextending and getting mullered early on. GFK is a classic example of a ship that either does incredibly well in a match or it all goes terribly wrong and it get's focused down in 30s flat. 

If you want a jack-of-all-trades line - go for the US of A. Aside from the Colorado (SLOOOOOOOOW) most of the BBs are a decent balance of speed, armour and firepower. No real weaknesses as such besides poor secondary guns.

If you want to basically roll your face across the keyboard and shrug off all incoming fire in the process - RU BBs are great for that. Kremlin is just moronic - I don't care what people say, that 'Vulnerable' Citadel is incredibly hard to find even if they sit broadside on. Also has BS guns that get stupidly accurate as you get closer to your target...… which is pretty much every game. Sinop is currently terrorising Ranked for this reason.

However my personal favourite line has to be the Japanese. We don't talk about the Izumo (basically a big floating turd of a thing with a comedy turret layout). That aside, every ship from the Kongo upwards is hard-hitting and generally accurate (aside from Fuso - but that sends so many shots towards the target you will eventually hit something). Yamato is worth every minute of the grind. I think of it as the line where the GUNS are the stars of the show - from the 14" of the Kongo (strong) and Fuso (strong but a bit wafty) to the 16" of the Nagato (strong and accurate) Amagi, (same) Izumo (**********censored*******) and finally the Yamato (REALLY strong, REALLY accurate, EPIC firing sound FX). 

^^ Please take all of the above as an entirely unscientific overview. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,791 posts
16,937 battles
9 minutes ago, Gvozdika said:

If you want to basically roll your face across the keyboard and shrug off all incoming fire in the process - RU BBs are great for that. Kremlin is just moronic - I don't care what people say, that 'Vulnerable' Citadel is incredibly hard to find even if they sit broadside on. Also has BS guns that get stupidly accurate as you get closer to your target...… which is pretty much every game. Sinop is currently terrorising Ranked for this reason.

Russian game, so if you go for Russian ships (or tanks), you can never go wrong...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BODEM]
Players
780 posts
6,959 battles
31 minutes ago, Gvozdika said:

We don't talk about the Izumo (basically a big floating turd of a thing with a comedy turret layout).

First, I laughed out loud on this one xD Secondly, I thought people were overreacting with this one, but it's indeed a turd. I can even work with the layout of the turrets, but I just can't do any dmg with it. It's like the guns are a far cry from what the rest of the line carries. Starting from the Kongo, all the ships have great long range accuracy and seem to be shooting with mini-vans as bullits damage wise. I got Musashi and shooting with that ship really feels like shooting with a monster Amagi. But I can't get the Izumo to do what Musashi or any of the lower tier does. She's just weird.

On topic: I'd go for the American line, just so you can experience North Carolina. It's the first line I grinded and I loved it very much. South Caro ain't the worst BB on tier 3. Tier 4 Wyoming has a great alpha strike with 6 turrets. Tier 5, 6 and 7 New York, New Mex and Colorado are solid ships with good range and heavy shells that can do lots of damage on almost any distance. And after that, you get her. Queen of Tier 8. North Carolina doesn't only have good AA and great shells, she is the epitome of bowtanking and she is beautiful. To be honest, she was my first fast battleship, and you never forget your first, amirite? But still, what that battleship can do is no nostalgia, no mirage. And she is solid on any distance, though she loves to fight in midrange. Also, don't show her side to anyone that can pen her, cause she will take massive damage. But treat her right and she can dish out as much. I am at Iowa now, I must say, she doesn't really feel like NC. Still she ain't bad and Montana shouldn't be either. 

As for the other lines, they all have their fun ships and regular garbage barges between them. Japanese are great at long range and are imo the best ships to teach yourself how to citadel (plus they got the battleship of all battleships, Yamato). Germans are pure fun at close range, from the Nassau and Kaiser to the fast Gneisenau and the mighty Bismarck. British ships are fun if you like to see the world burn and the enemy chat with it, though I don't really can get them to work for me past T5 (expect KGV, which is <3). The French start with garbage, but their T5 played like US T5 New York, which was good. T6 was awkward, but T7 Lyon rocks :D I'm at T8 Richarlieu and she still doesn't want to listen to me. T9 is supposed to be awesome and T10 I heared mixed stuff about. I haven't got any Russian BBs yet, but heard great things about it. 

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
128 posts

I would highly recommend the Soviet BB line. Those are powerful, fun ships that do well in brawling range.

To clarify: they're not brawlers per se but predict the enemy's intentions, turn & shoot = RIP. But overall, every line has ups and downs.

• Cool 1

Players
8,185 posts
9,087 battles
13 hours ago, Gvozdika said:

We don't talk about the Izumo (basically a big floating turd of a thing with a comedy turret layout).

Some of us do talk about Izumo, especially after WG handed it enough buffs to make it one of the strongest tech tree T9 BBs in the game. You just cannot call a T9 BB with 57 mm centre deck that shatters even German HE and 9 guns that not just have 2.0 sigma but Republique-grade pen and extreme shell velocity a turd. It may be slow, it may not look great, but Izumo easily is one of the best gun platforms at T9, only maybe neglected because premiums exist, like Musashi that was totally a good design concept and not one of the most silly additions to the game. as for turret layout, it provides the exact same advantages and drawbacks as a two turret forward, one aft setup. Noone complains about those. Noone calls Iowa, Alsace, Musashi or Lion out on their setups and at least Musashi and Lion have nowhere close to the great rear firing angles the Izumo has, while forward all three aren't great (though unlike Musashi, Izumo has no cheek for free cits). FdG obviously cannot compete in this regard, German 4x2 setup is atrocious for firing angles.

On topic, USN line or failing that IJN line. USN are more forgiving for tanking, but less mobile, which isn't too terrible really. IJN is more mobile, but easily gets citadelled on most tiers. Both nations are kinda solid from T4 onwards, though USN T5 and T6 I found boring after having gone through other lines, which is why I'll always recommend them to people to start with. 

[LADA]
Players
566 posts
8,795 battles
19 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Some of us do talk about Izumo, especially after WG handed it enough buffs to make it one of the strongest tech tree T9 BBs in the game. You just cannot call a T9 BB with 57 mm centre deck that shatters even German HE and 9 guns that not just have 2.0 sigma but Republique-grade pen and extreme shell velocity a turd. It may be slow, it may not look great, but Izumo easily is one of the best gun platforms at T9, only maybe neglected because premiums exist, like Musashi that was totally a good design concept and not one of the most silly additions to the game. as for turret layout, it provides the exact same advantages and drawbacks as a two turret forward, one aft setup. Noone complains about those. Noone calls Iowa, Alsace, Musashi or Lion out on their setups and at least Musashi and Lion have nowhere close to the great rear firing angles the Izumo has, while forward all three aren't great (though unlike Musashi, Izumo has no cheek for free cits). FdG obviously cannot compete in this regard, German 4x2 setup is atrocious for firing angles.

On topic, USN line or failing that IJN line. USN are more forgiving for tanking, but less mobile, which isn't too terrible really. IJN is more mobile, but easily gets citadelled on most tiers. Both nations are kinda solid from T4 onwards, though USN T5 and T6 I found boring after having gone through other lines, which is why I'll always recommend them to people to start with. 

Obviously we differ in opinion about the Izumo - however statistically it comes stone dead last among all T9 BBs in WR and only just squeaks past the FDG in damage output. It is statistically worse than the T8 Amagi in both damage and win-rate - despite being a supposed upgrade.

I couldn't wait to be shot of the thing - it was a waste of space before it was buffed. It was a waste of a port space even despite the buffs (which didn't actually improve its basic weaknesses of overpenning everything and having the third turret waving around uselessly for 90% of the match). If some can make it work - great - but in general people find it a truly awful ship in an otherwise great line.

• Cool 1

Players
8,185 posts
9,087 battles
1 minute ago, Gvozdika said:

Obviously we differ in opinion about the Izumo - however statistically it comes stone dead last among all T9 BBs in WR and only just squeaks past the FDG in damage output. It is statistically worse than the T8 Amagi in both damage and win-rate - despite being a supposed upgrade.

I couldn't wait to be shot of the thing - it was a waste of space before it was buffed. It was a waste of a port space even despite the buffs (which didn't actually improve its basic weaknesses of overpenning everything and having the third turret waving around uselessly for 90% of the match). If some can make it work - great - but in general people find it a truly awful ship in an otherwise great line.

1. all time stats don't account for buffs that came out more recently.

2. By that metric, NC is an absolute piece of garbage at T8, yet few experienced people would ever consider it a bad BB.

[LADA]
Players
566 posts
8,795 battles
32 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Okay then, you have a crack at the next ranked using nothing but the Izumo and see how well things go, okay? 

I'll use a vessel with an 'inferior' turret layout like the Iowa/Missouri and we can compare notes as to show who retains their sanity the longest. 

:cap_book:

Players
8,185 posts
9,087 battles
3 minutes ago, Gvozdika said:

Okay then, you have a crack at the next ranked using nothing but the Izumo and see how well things go, okay? 

I'll use a vessel with an 'inferior' turret layout like the Iowa/Missouri and we can compare notes as to show who retains their sanity the longest. 

:cap_book:

If I play Ranked, sure, I can go with that. Can't guarantee I'd bother with Ranked though. It will be one of the ships I rebuy next though.

also, I didn't say "inferior".

Players
3,130 posts
10,813 battles

Hated the Izumo.

Anyway..

OP go for the US or Russian Line. 

You simply cant go wrong with the US line and does well in the this CV rework Meta. It's simply in the middle of everything.

Russian line is very very strong at the moment and will be for a long time.  It's stupid tanky when bow-on at all it's tiers, it's AA is above average and the shells hit like a truck.  People talk about taking damage from the sides, but nearly ALL BB's get hurt when pounded in the sides.  If you can point at your target and pull the trigger, then the Russian line is will be for you. 

But i would still say the US line because it's a bench mark. But if you want the strongest at the moment then the Russian line.

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,444 posts

Izumo is a turd. I would rather grind Yamato in Amagi than play that abomination.

Yes the buffs helped (played it before and after), but it's still a very weird ship that doesn't fit the line it sits in and is difficult to make work properly.

On topic, I have to agree with the general concensus that US or Rashan ships are the best 'teacher'. I'd say US line, since their speed means overextending is impossible, they're decent to angle so it teaches that, and the generally good AA means you can get used to them in general peacefulness without too much trouble from CVs

Players
2,271 posts
20,673 battles
Vor 16 Stunden, StarbuckTheThird sagte:

I could write a lot of stuff but it is so much easier to just watch the pertinent Flamu video. Even though it is pre-rework and pre-Conq nerf.

This review's biggest drawback is that it is also pre-Kremlin, and that stupid, ahistorical fantasy Russian bias barge of course not so much powercreeps but powerZAPs the whole bloody lot of them.

Otherwise, the most remarkable thing he left unsaid (I think) is how some of the grinds to get to Tier X in the first place are pitifully inconsistent.

The Japanese play style changes completely from the fast and fairly agile "roaming Amagi" to the clumsiest ship in the game that basically has to sit back sniping all the time because of its own awkwardness.

Meanwhile, it is the other way round for the US Navy, where North Carolina needs to sit nose in a lot because of her vulnerable broadside and is happy raining down accurate volleys of slow but super heavy AP shells across islands, while Montana can be viewed as an agile and versatile super-Amagi.

Meanwhile, if you think of the British BBs, you think of overpowered HE shells with an insane fire chance, and super stealthy concealment, and submerged, invulnerable citadels and Zombie heals. But not all of that is true for all the ships of that line, especially not Monarch where the base fire chance drops to just 35%. And although Monarch has, in a spreadsheet, theoretically the highest AP and HE DPM of all Tier VIII BBs, the firing arc of the rear turret is so poor, in practice you can basically scratch a third of all that firepower.

I suspect something similar is also going on in the French line. Only ze Dschermans arguably rise in a fairly consistent arc all the way to Tier X where they finally gain enough guns of a sufficiently satisfying caliber. I had a lot of preconceptions against the GK before grinding it out, mainly that it is too big and clumsy. But the thing is it doesn't feel big and clumsy at all when you're in it. It just feels awesome - if you get the in-your-face thing right and manage to push it brutally into the plebs on the other team without getting torped (yes, despite the sonar) and burned down by HE spammers and planes.

Players
5,977 posts
11,541 battles
On 7/16/2019 at 9:55 PM, StarbuckTheThird said:

Hi mister/miss's Starbuck! May I suggest the Pegasus line? No wait, different game :Smile_hiding:

In general I could describe the lines kinda like this:

USN lower tiers slow with good AA and good turret angles. Higher tiers get faster with ok guns and good AA for a BB.

French lower tiers ugly but kinda fast and higher tiers get a speedboost and look really good. Ok guns but easy to get into good positions.

IJN line is kinda all over the place, but generally speaking meh AA and are played kinda more at range with kinda good accuracy. Higher tiers get Yamato! :Smile_izmena:

UK lines will get changed soon, so better hold your breath over that line for now. Higher tiers have a superheal.

USSR ships have very good armor when angled properly and perhaps the most powerful main armament, but have poor gun range.

German BBs, I can't really recommend this line but they have good secondaries (fun, but not really impressive when you need stuff done most of the time). Higher tiers get a hydro. Very poor accuracy on the guns and hard to hit citadel.

Players
50 posts
6,868 battles
2 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

May I suggest the Pegasus line? 

If only. :Smile_sad:

So started on the Russian Line.

still contemplating what I should have as a second line to work on too. It's pretty much between IJN for the Yamato and the US & RN lines because I'm already at tier VI with them, with the USN Getting the edge for their AA, the RN changes and my interest in the Iowa class.

Signed, Mr. Starbuck

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
780 posts
6,959 battles
1 hour ago, StarbuckTheThird said:

If only. :Smile_sad:

So started on the Russian Line.

still contemplating what I should have as a second line to work on too. It's pretty much between IJN for the Yamato and the US & RN lines because I'm already at tier VI with them, with the USN Getting the edge for their AA, the RN changes and my interest in the Iowa class.

Signed, Mr. Starbuck

You like to brawl more or do ranged sniping? USN works fine at closer distances because it can tank stuff, but with the IJN, you need to stay away more. I think both lines got some very nice ships in them.

• Cool 1

Players
330 posts
8,844 battles

Go for the Russian battleships. In most of them (aside from Vladivostok, which is a bit of a special case), all you have to do is be a tiny bit angled and fire in the general direction of the enemy. If you're into more exciting playstyles that offer any challenge at all, go for anything else. They're all quite good, and strong.

Players
50 posts
6,868 battles
3 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

You like to brawl more or do ranged sniping? USN works fine at closer distances because it can tank stuff, but with the IJN, you need to stay away more. I think both lines got some very nice ships in them.

Like having range as long as I do damage and/or accuracy with it. No sense in having 18-20km range if your just going to get one hit that ends up being a 1k over pen.

[BODEM]
Players
780 posts
6,959 battles
3 hours ago, StarbuckTheThird said:

Like having range as long as I do damage and/or accuracy with it. No sense in having 18-20km range if your just going to get one hit that ends up being a 1k over pen.

If you know how to cit in a BB, then from the Kongo up, hitting cits on a regular base is well within the Japanese capabilities. And when you hit, you hit hard. Even normal pens do tons of dmg. No funny dispersion even at long range like the germans or the need to shotgun stuff like the French. You gotta feel how to shoot with the IJN, but when you do, you get reliable dmg and when you cit, 9 out of 10 times it feels like it's 100% your skill that make it happen, even when you insta-kill full health cruisers that haven't lived beyond a minute. Or take half a BBs health just from the get-go. Might sound like BS or RNG, but these ships are accurate and powerfull at any range. They just don't take kindly to brawling or wrong placement. They big and don't like to turn. Or to accelerate for that matter. Waaaaay worse than any other BB line. 

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,330 posts
8,144 battles
On 7/16/2019 at 9:55 PM, StarbuckTheThird said:

Anything that is not German.

Seriously dont go for German BBs. They are the most Horrible BBs in the Game.

(Unless your a Masochist of course. Then you will Enjoy them like nothing else)

Japan got Accurate and Powerful Guns on T10 thanks to the 460mm its basicly Autopen on alot of Targets as you overmatch the Armor.

France has Decent Guns and very long Range. Its an Fairly Balanced and Good T10 BB

US and Germany are just Crab and not worth mentioning their nonexistent advantages.

Russians are well Russians. Its WG so the Kremlin is Incredible Powerful on Armor and Guns. Only Disadvantage the Ship has is its Shorter Range. But it gets Insane AA and High Damage output as well as good Armor.

Conqueror has very Strong HE Guns that cant be Angled against and thus cant be Tanked Effectively. As well as the Ability to just Print a New Ship thanks to its Super Heal that not only Heals much more HP per Heal but also takes less Permanent Damage that cant be Healed.

So as you are already going on the British Line.

I Recommend staying on the British Line.