You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
divinity_123

This is not the way to develop a game

55 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
50 posts

There are quite a few drama going on in recent patches and I tried to put myself out of the debate as much as possible but what I have seen in recent proposals and developers' responses are just too much for me. There are a lot of issues to be discussed but if I were to put it in a single sentence, the devs are ignorant and doesn't care about the gameplay experience at all.

This is what happened on the twitch steam today:

(Viewer A):I don't know why WG won't make a spectator system

(Viewer B)W:@WorldofWarships Why you not using the spectator mode given in rogue wave?

WorldofWarships:@(Viewer A) it's a significant amount of work to create one but we hope one day we'll get it :)

divinity_123:The game has spectator mode in normal games too. It doe not take so much effort to add a spectator role to the game. A decent programmer can do this in a few hours or just minutes. Using excuses like 'it is a significant amount of work' is plain irresponsibility. Same goes to other things such as demounting all flags.

WorldofWarships:@divinity_123 sorry but it's not that easy because there are more things tied to this than you think - we would do it in an eyeblink if this would be a matter of hours. Otherwise feel free to join our dev team and show us how it's done :)

(Viewer C):@WorldofWarships handing out jobs? Kappa

WorldofWarships:always happy to get guys who solve our problems within hours Kappa

divinity_123:@WorldofWarships Mind listing the 'more things' to me? Spectator mode is in almost all pvp games I have played, and certainly in the ones with tournaments. Those games have no problems, why should wows be the exception? Also, did I just get a job offer?

WorldofWarships:@divinity_123 feel free to apply, we have plenty of open positions.

My problem with the devs is that they just do not care about the gameplay experience (especially when they make balance changes, but let's not go into that). I asked how hard it is to polish the current spectator mode and they responded with 'a significant amount of work'.  As I asked what are the 'work and more things tied to this', they dodged the question as expected. And let me not talk about the passive-aggressive manner in this conversation. Even if WG does not want to improve the spectator mode now, they can make a more professional response such as 'Your suggestion has been noted. Thank you for your input.'. 

There are more examples of this. A button to demount all flags has been requested for ages and you literally need two loops (one on server and one on client ) in your code to make that happen. Guess what? The response from one of the lead devs in one of the earlier streams is that 'there are other things we need to work on'. 

The pattern of refusing constructive suggestions is not new to the dev team. I wonder how far can that carry the game.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,912 posts
19,734 battles

Quite honestly spectator mode would be pretty far down on my list of priorities as well given the current state of the game.

Every single employee that works on the spectator mode isn't working on:

- the CV rework

- new mechanics

- new ships

- glorious NTC

and so on. You know, stuff they expect to earn money.

It's not that I don't agree with you and I'd be rather skeptical about it being "too much work" as well, but reality is WG prefers to do things that fills their pockets which from a business perspective what they do does make sense.

As for how far they can go with that, pretty far as WG is thoroughly exploiting that they have a monopoly in this particular niche genre. As long as they don't go completely overboard with their money making schemes players have no choice but to turn to WoWs if they want to play something with this setting.

• Cool 10
  • Funny 1

Alpha Tester
50 posts

Spectator mode is just a look into how the devs response to suggestions. I can start the same topic with every other thing you have suggested.

I know that businessman loves money. But by making those changes, WG makes a better game and it attracts more players. Those are not conflicting things. Esports for wows can be a real thing if they decide to invest a bit into it - and it generates a lot of profit.

Surely they have monopoly in this game category, but does it mean they can hold it forever? Should they just ignore some of the players (and potential customers) and let them leave?

• Cool 1

Players
2,594 posts
12,952 battles
13 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Every single employee that works on the spectator mode isn't working on:

- the CV rework 

Yea, they can't put people from the dev team on the spectator mode cause those guys have been too busy fixing the bugs in the rework

Spoiler

only for the blind AND stupid: /s

27 minutes ago, divinity_123 said:

they can make a more professional response such as 'Your suggestion has been noted. Thank you for your input.'. 

They do that it literally every other comment though. Let's not encourage it any further.

- Hey WG there's two trillion bugs in your UI, CV rework, general game, etc

'Your suggestion has been noted. Thank you for your input.'. 

- Hey WG, you said in 2016 BBs are too strong to kill and you want smt done about it. Three years later and it has only gotten worse

- Hey WG, you wanted to fix matchmaking and it has only gotten worse

- Hey WG, your chat bots PR Reps seem to be stuck in a loop and reply nothing but " 'Your suggestion has been noted. Thank you for your input.'. "

• Cool 2
  • Funny 7

Alpha Tester
50 posts
1 minute ago, Saiyko said:

They do that it literally every other comment though. Let's not encourage it any further.

- Hey WG there's two trillion bugs in your UI, CV rework, general game, etc

- Hey WG, you said in 2016 BBs are too strong to kill and you want smt done about it. Three years later and it has only gotten worse

- Hey WG, you wanted to fix matchmaking and it has only gotten worse

- Hey WG, your chat bots seem to be stuck in a loop and reply nothing but " 'Your suggestion has been noted. Thank you for your input.'. "

I am not suggesting them should do this. But if they cannot even do that, there is a serious problem in customer relationship management.

Players
7,051 posts
245 battles

I mean if they were going to do a spectator system they could just create a new variable and call it 'spectator' create a seperate 'leaderboard' array inside said variable (basically an array to hold strings and ints in like a regular leaderboard) and then link the two together and simply and add a camera function in (or copy and paste the spectator system already in place) and then create a button and asign that variable (or script) to that button when you click on it in somekind of seperate window (so main menu).

I guess that could work (i have no experience in code besides stuff i did over 5+ years ago and it wasn't even that complex by code standards). But then i don't know what arachaic systems they are using (besides bugworld) that prevents them from simply copying samples of code to different scripts (its not like the code is that different unless written in different languages (which is stupid in itself for obvious reasons) which then would need to be rewritten in the compatible code language).

I mean that makes the most logical sense to me as a designer lol.

Providing this is what you peeps mean by a 'spectator' thing.

Players
2,594 posts
12,952 battles
4 minutes ago, divinity_123 said:

I am not suggesting them should do this. But if they cannot even do that, there is a serious problem in customer relationship management.

I didn't see it earlier, but you are apparently quite new here (16 posts). Nothing wrong with that of course, but once you've gotten accustomed to the typical WG replies, you'll know that you'll never get a real answer (unless people literally freak out in the thousands, like recently with the NTC.)

Any other "customer relationship" will be vagueness incorporated. At least the "passive agressive" remarks you referred to in that stream were honest in their blatant disdain.

• Cool 1

Players
685 posts
5,677 battles
13 minutes ago, divinity_123 said:

Thanks eagle-eye. You must be the brains of the operation.

Alpha Tester
50 posts
1 minute ago, Saiyko said:

I didn't see it earlier, but you are apparently quite new here (16 posts). Nothing wrong with that of course, but once you've gotten accustomed to the typical WG replies, you'll know that you'll never get a real answer (unless people literally freak out in the thousands, like recently with the NTC.)

Any other "customer relationship" will be vagueness incorporated. At least the "passive agressive" remarks you referred to in that stream were honest in their blatant disdain.

I am not new to WG products and definitely not new to forums. I am an alpha tester if you have realised. It is just that I decided to step away from all these because it is impossible to reason with random folks.

Regarding the attitude the devs, it is literally killing the game. The recent NTC proposal disappointed so many people and some of them decided to step away from the game. For myself? Spending less on WG products.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,231 posts
24,098 battles

This may sound funny, but this game when it was launched was utter crap, because of the same carriers who were OP as fuk and, what was worse, were not even mirrored, can you imagine that?! 

After they fixed the fuking carriers, the game had a very good balanced period of about 2 years, with some ocasional screw ups. 

It is lately that WG started to fuk up their own game, and the CV rework, 6 months old and still not balanced, being the icing of the cake. 

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
50 posts
5 minutes ago, 22cm said:

This may sound funny, but this game when it was launched was utter crap, because of the same carriers who were OP as fuk and, what was worse, were not even mirrored, can you imagine that?! 

After they fixed the fuking carriers, the game had a very good balanced period of about 2 years, with some ocasional screw ups. 

It is lately that WG started to fuk up their own game, and the CV rework, 6 months old and still not balanced, being the icing of the cake. 

You had to apply for an alpha tester via a survey at the time. One of the question is about how do you think about the carriers. My answer to that is 'you can make yourself a cup of coffee when you play the carriers' - and I was in. The devs at the time had a sense of humour and were motivated to fix the problems in the game. Imagine I make that kind of carrier joke to the devs now.

Spoiler

Dev: The carrier rework is working as intended. We consider it as a success. (Watch the recordings from the CC summit, that is essentially what they believe.)

• Cool 2

WG Staff
3,368 posts
14,263 battles
On 7/14/2019 at 7:09 PM, divinity_123 said:

There are quite a few drama going on in recent patches and I tried to put myself out of the debate as much as possible but what I have seen in recent proposals and developers' responses are just too much for me. There are a lot of issues to be discussed but if I were to put it in a single sentence, the devs are ignorant and doesn't care about the gameplay experience at all.

My problem with the devs is that they just do not care about the gameplay experience (especially when they make balance changes, but let's not go into that). I asked how hard it is to polish the current spectator mode and they responded with 'a significant amount of work'.  As I asked what are the 'work and more things tied to this', they dodged the question as expected. And let me not talk about the passive-aggressive manner in this conversation. Even if WG does not want to improve the spectator mode now, they can make a more professional response such as 'Your suggestion has been noted. Thank you for your input.'. 

There are more examples of this. A button to demount all flags has been requested for ages and you literally need two loops (one on server and one on client ) in your code to make that happen. Guess what? The response from one of the lead devs in one of the earlier streams is that 'there are other things we need to work on'. 

The pattern of refusing constructive suggestions is not new to the dev team. I wonder how far can that carry the game.

Hi mate,

It was me who gave you that answer - I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. It was a friendly banter stream for a rather casual tournament and we answered this already before. To also give you some context - MrConway and me have been the guys to push and help competitive tournaments for EU and the global scene for Warships from the early days on - we would love to see a spectator mode as well, but we also know after long talks with our Devs what is involved with creating a spectator mode. This is why I rather give you the full answer that it's complicated, a lot of things are involved and we have currently bigger fish to fry because they affect all players, while competitive - as much as I love it - is for a rather small chunk of our audience. I hope that one day we'll be able to get it - and I'm fully with you that it would be great to have. This is why I don't give you the "your suggestion has been noted, thank you for your input" answer - because that sounds very generic and while it is true, wouldn't satisfy most players who would love to see this feature.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me - it's just that comments like "this can be fixed within minutes" are very frustrating to read and lack any kind of knowledge about the actual work involved with this on our side. Me giving you the answer that it is involving a ton of work, which would mean picking this over other features that are relevant for the vast majority of userbase, is simple honesty and transparency, not irresponsibility. Like I said on stream, if it would be so easy, we would have done it by now. The same thing applies for some quality of life features like demounting all flags - especially when our UI is involved.

So I apologize for the comment - and I hope you understand our point of view. We love competitive, we sacrifice our weekends to make these tournaments happen, give it proper promotion and exposure. But we're also realistic and have a limited amount of resources available, where we need to prioritize.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 13
  • Bad 1

Players
524 posts
3,146 battles

I'm in construction business, once had a customer say "Why is this taking time, should only be a few minutes" - I was installing a gas fireplace.
In the end her husband did it and her appartment block burned down, the fire took 4 other families homes with theirs.

I guess it only took him a few minutes.

The clue here is, if you don't know anything about it, don't tell someone who does how long it should take.

• Cool 3

Players
3,317 posts
On 7/14/2019 at 6:09 PM, divinity_123 said:

I agree with what you say but don't you think WG might be laughing at you as they develop their game in anyway they see fit and give us the stark choice, like it or lump it.

I feel that if WG had a list of all complaints about this game, there would be several hundred volumes of complainants,maybe they have took he attitude of too much to read, can't be arsed.

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,201 battles

In some MMO that I do play people have been requesting changes of this or that, until reply from devs was along this lines:

"Sorry, we would love to implement the changes you ask about, but the mess we have made of our code in the begging of making game is irreparable. We are happy that it works but changing anything would cost months of work as basically it must be written anew to fit later parts of code".

People still hope something will be done, but that is not going to happen.

Just devs of WG must say the same thing. If adding spectator mode to a game is complicated that means the whole thinking behind game from the begining was inaccurate. Same goes for so called "small details".

I agree that adding features that have been not think about when starting coding is a painfull process.

[HOO]
Players
1,901 posts
3,742 battles
On 7/14/2019 at 6:09 PM, divinity_123 said:

As a software developer with over 25 years experience, I love the way someone who has never seen a line of the game code can come and say, adding a spectator mode should take only a few hours or minutes.

As players we have some ideas on how the game engine is structured, but we are not experts, and are totally unqualified to make such bold statements.

Yes a spectator mode would be nice, but lets sort out the game mechanic and meta issues we have first.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
50 posts
6 hours ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

I'm in construction business, once had a customer say "Why is this taking time, should only be a few minutes" - I was installing a gas fireplace.
In the end her husband did it and her appartment block burned down, the fire took 4 other families homes with theirs.

I guess it only took him a few minutes.

The clue here is, if you don't know anything about it, don't tell someone who does how long it should take.

So how do you know it takes a lot of time to develop that, and how do you know I have no knowledge about coding?

5 hours ago, Fat_Maniac said:

As a software developer with over 25 years experience, I love the way someone who has never seen a line of the game code can come and say, adding a spectator mode should take only a few hours or minutes.

As players we have some ideas on how the game engine is structured, but we are not experts, and are totally unqualified to make such bold statements.

Yes a spectator mode would be nice, but lets sort out the game mechanic and meta issues we have first.

Ok, so let's talk about what do we need to add to make a proper spectator mode, shall we? Here is my argument, the core code is already there. We have death camera in normal games and in rouge wave - and they have all the functions to be spectators. So what code do we need to build around it to give a full spectator functionality? We need (1) implementation of spectator role and UI in practice games (the mode where tournaments are held), (2) connect spectator role to the spectator mode.

(1) is easy enough to implement. A role is just an identity, or you can implement them as hidden players just like how it is done in scenarios. The UI part involves adding a few buttons and icons. That should not take too long.

(2) requires some change in the game initialisation section of the code. Current code does not need to be changed because spectator is a different role and that can be implemented separately from the other roles (team 1 and team 2 to be specific).

So how long do you think, with your 25 years of experience, that spectator mode would take to implement?

Regarding the game mechanics and meta issues, they fall into a completely different category - which does not take a lot of time to code but takes a lot of time to deliberate - and that takes different people to work on. So arguments like: 'having someone to work on spectator mode (or something similar) reduces the number of people available for balancing' are unreasonable.

And you missed my point completely. Look at the title again if you are unclear. The problem is the detachment between the development team and the players. Development comes with problems, sure, i get that, and I fully appreciate the effort of the developers. But it does not mean developers should ignore the players for their opinions, and surely should they not pretend they are always correct. Spectator mode is nothing to most of the players, but the attitude you can see from the response of the developers shows you something much greater.

Alpha Tester
50 posts
5 hours ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

In some MMO that I do play people have been requesting changes of this or that, until reply from devs was along this lines:

"Sorry, we would love to implement the changes you ask about, but the mess we have made of our code in the begging of making game is irreparable. We are happy that it works but changing anything would cost months of work as basically it must be written anew to fit later parts of code".

People still hope something will be done, but that is not going to happen.

Just devs of WG must say the same thing. If adding spectator mode to a game is complicated that means the whole thinking behind game from the begining was inaccurate. Same goes for so called "small details".

I agree that adding features that have been not think about when starting coding is a painfull process.

Exactly, if there are technical problems, I can understand that. But they need to explain in detail what is wrong with it instead of giving answers that is not informative at all.

• Bad 1

Alpha Tester
50 posts
6 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

I agree with what you say but don't you think WG might be laughing at you as they develop their game in anyway they see fit and give us the stark choice, like it or lump it.

I feel that if WG had a list of all complaints about this game, there would be several hundred volumes of complainants,maybe they have took he attitude of too much to read, can't be arsed.

At least I believe that maintaining a health relationship between the players and the developers help the development of the game - and WG earns more money in the process. I understand that it is impossible to solve all problems at once, but saying 'no' to everything is probably not the best way to go. If the developers want to hear from the players, they can create a weekly/monthly pool for the players to vote for the top problems they need to see fixed, and explain to the players how soon can they get that done, or why that is impossible.

• Funny 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,912 posts
19,734 battles
13 minutes ago, divinity_123 said:

If the developers want to hear from the players

They don't. That has been abundantly clear for years.

Alpha Tester
50 posts
8 hours ago, Crysantos said:

Hi mate,

It was me who gave you that answer - I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. It was a friendly banter stream for a rather casual tournament and we answered this already before. To also give you some context - MrConway and me have been the guys to push and help competitive tournaments for EU and the global scene for Warships from the early days on - we would love to see a spectator mode as well, but we also know after long talks with our Devs what is involved with creating a spectator mode. This is why I rather give you the full answer that it's complicated, a lot of things are involved and we have currently bigger fish to fry because they affect all players, while competitive - as much as I love it - is for a rather small chunk of our audience. I hope that one day we'll be able to get it - and I'm fully with you that it would be great to have. This is why I don't give you the "your suggestion has been noted, thank you for your input" answer - because that sounds very generic and while it is true, wouldn't satisfy most players who would love to see this feature.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me - it's just that comments like "this can be fixed within minutes" are very frustrating to read and lack any kind of knowledge about the actual work involved with this on our side. Me giving you the answer that it is involving a ton of work, which would mean picking this over other features that are relevant for the vast majority of userbase, is simple honesty and transparency, not irresponsibility. Like I said on stream, if it would be so easy, we would have done it by now. The same thing applies for some quality of life features like demounting all flags - especially when our UI is involved.

So I apologize for the comment - and I hope you understand our point of view. We love competitive, we sacrifice our weekends to make these tournaments happen, give it proper promotion and exposure. But we're also realistic and have a limited amount of resources available, where we need to prioritize.

Greetings, Crysantos

Thank you for your reply, now we are talking. Since you have talked to the devs, would you mind give me some insights on why a spectator mode is impossible to implement at the moment? We have that essentially in death camera for normal games and rouge wave. Since you are only using it for tournaments with no concerns for cheating (referees are fair and the streams are delayed), I genuinely do not see any technical difficulty in implementing it. Also, if you have a spectator mode, you can add that to normal games so players can view gameplay from their friends (with additional complication of delay and other concerns - that is going to take a lot of time to code).

If you are triggered by the phrase 'within minutes', you can take my apologies. It is an exaggeration to mean the coding is not that hard for the reasons I have mentioned in the other posts. But again, if there is any technical issues why this cannot be done easily, I would like to know. Regarding the clunky UI, I can imagine it gets even more technical, but I am curious what stops you from optimising it and implementing quality of life features.

If you gave me (and other players) more insights why things are the way they are, and justify your decisions, we are going to be more acceptable of your decisions. We may be able to help you with design decisions (look at how many suggestions there are to the CV mechanics). It is an art to convey your messages to the players. So next time, let's try to be nice to each other and help the game grow together :)

Edit: If you are still not convinced that the way to convey your message is important, here is an example. Everyone knows 1+1 = 2, but now I am going to tell you that it is hard to show that 1+1=2 because it 'involves a lot of deep maths'. Just by that statement, are you convinced? But if I outline the problems you will encounter in proving the statement, such as (1) you have to define integers (through set theory), (2) addition operation,  and(3) equality. Are you more convinced now that 1+1=2 is not that simple as a statement?

• Bad 1

Players
524 posts
3,146 battles
2 hours ago, divinity_123 said:

So how do you know it takes a lot of time to develop that, and how do you know I have no knowledge about coding?

I don't, it's a guess, could be wrong. Usually when people say X should only take X amount of minutes, they don't know what they're talking about.
Hell, maybe a replay option does only take 5 minutes to create and you know because you are a software engineer. I don't know, I guessed.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
50 posts
2 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

I don't, it's a guess, could be wrong. Usually when people say X should only take X amount of minutes, they don't know what they're talking about.
Hell, maybe a replay option does only take 5 minutes to create and you know because you are a software engineer. I don't know, I guessed.

Then I guess such discussion is not going to be constructive. Let's wait and hear what technical and other difficulties are related to spectator mode from Crysantos, shall we?

Players
5,977 posts
11,530 battles
4 hours ago, divinity_123 said:

Then I guess such discussion is not going to be constructive. Let's wait and hear what technical and other difficulties are related to spectator mode from Crysantos, shall we?

I don't expect Crysantos to explain something like this, as he is not the one doing the coding and the coders are probably not really busy with doing the PR.

And even though I agree with you to a certain degree about how fracking distant some of the devs apparently seem to be from their own playerbase (like just look at the NTC. I really don't understand how this idea could even be gifted the spark of life without it having been intended in some way to 'shock' the community, maybe even having wanted to hype this new feature or something. But in the end hyping has its clear disadvantages and stuff like this will keep on failing as it is inherent).

But this topic also shows THE most important factors why I don't like staying here that much anymore. There's too much toxicity and too many people trying to recruit pawns for their personal bandwagons.

Imo this is ruining the PR part of the game. I mean just look at what happened to GZ, but I find it very plausible that this isn't the only example.

If you want a forum that is broad in its base regarding constructiveness, then you got to get rid of the too large firesetters and there's still too many of those around here.

• Cool 1