Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Myrmidon19

The 'Slingshot Drop'

3 comments in this topic

[NORKS]
Players
91 posts

So I had heard of this before as a CV player and never looked into it really as it seemed very cheese-infused and there is a point where cheese and cheating can share a blurry line. Basically until now I was working under my own surmised assumptions that it was effectively:-

Because AA/Flak can be heavy sometimes you only get one effective run. Any aircraft left over after the run get killed lining up for the second run so you essentially dump aircraft early so they can return to the carrier and replenish your stock more quickly whilst retaining enough aircraft in your squadron to effectively facilitate one successful run.

This is what I assumed it was all about based on inference and my understanding of the mechanics. I did however not know about this 'immunity period' business... And now it just seems even more cheesy. So basically I'm wondering.... I've been really good in CV's at T4 and T6 and have never had to use the above tactic but is it something that's fairly 'standard or even 'promoted and encouraged in higher tier play? Is it pretty much necessary too? Something about it just screams cheese/exploit which is something that I've always hated. Are the developers aware of it? Whats their position on it? I'm honestly kinda tempted to trial it today to try and understand it more practically and mechanically rather than as a theoretical understanding. Is there also anything I'm missing from my initial assumption in bold and my now updated understanding?

I'm sure there are many videos illustrating it but here's one I'm just borrowing from a recent thread by someone else that (annoying music aside) conveys the principle quite succinctly (but again as a newish player I can't judge it's accuracy of information 100%)

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,277 posts
6,588 battles

WG mentioned somewhere that they did not expect the playerbase to pick up this mechanic so easily. 

Guess they will fix it some year.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,925 posts
19,752 battles
On 7/1/2019 at 8:24 AM, El2aZeR said:

Source

:Smile_trollface:

On a more serious note:

Yes, slingshotting becomes not only vital but necessary at T8+ if you like doing damage and/or having enough reserves to last you throughout the match.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this