optimal_909

Georgia's guns

31 comments in this topic

[-LD-]
Players
202 posts
8,168 battles

What's your experience with them?

I have 31% hit rate which appears better then my impression after occasions such as missing two consecutive salvos at a marginally angled, stationary DM. All six shells completely missing bow-on cruisers is not uncommon either.

Adding further salt, the average damage per hit is very low, a bit similar experience as Yamato, that shells overpen/bounce a lot of time - resulting in very low average damage output of 59k... one of the last matches, I started the game with 4 hits on two salvos, zero damage. I ended up with about 2k damage per hit average.

To sum it up, the Georgia often feels like a T9 Gneisenau without the tanky hull. I still love playing the ship though, as I'm enjoying it's speed and versatility - the ship is just ace in late game showdowns.

I just don't get the dispersion, this game can be very unforgiving with consistently good/bad dispersion and pens on various ships. I mean, yesterday my FdG gunners were at their top of the game, I even citadel'd a Zao 20 km away...

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,832 posts
14,389 battles

That is the problem with the low number of guns.

Whould you evaluate the per gun performance, she has probably the best BB gun in game.

0 posts

And it would obviously make a difference if you have spec'd the 'right way' (tank build and MB accuracy) or the 'wrong way' (secondary):Smile_coin:

Players
7,106 posts
245 battles

They do my bloody head-in sometimes my accuracy in them is 35% atm but they can be really inconsistent sometimes even with dispersion upgrades.

[-LD-]
Players
202 posts
8,168 battles
On 7/11/2019 at 3:07 PM, ColonelPete said:

That is the problem with the low number of guns.

Whould you evaluate the per gun performance, she has probably the best BB gun in game.

Again I had 8 ricochets in the first 11 hits of the last match, and I had a damage total of 1.5k - so I have issues with those large shells.

I tried the Lyon on the PTS, now that felt like cruiser accuracy.

Anyone knows what is the dispersion formula? I feel the salvos are much tighter close range. Or maybe it is really the six shells getting lost long range...

[CATS]
Players
26,832 posts
14,389 battles

Ricochets have something to do with target selection.

And yes, dispersion gets wider over distance, for all ships.

[T-N-T]
Players
3,611 posts
16,680 battles

Lyon has very bad accuracy, but it has 16 shells. It always hits something.

Georgia has a large cruiser accuracy, unless something changed. Midway between cruisers and BBs.

[-LD-]
Players
202 posts
8,168 battles
2 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Ricochets have something to do with target selection.

And yes, dispersion gets wider over distance, for all ships.

I am not too scientific (I mean I am not too familiar with every ship, just aware the significant traits), I am usually selecting broadside(ish) targets with a slightly above waterline aim, and if angled I am aiming for the lower part of the superstructure. I know large caliber guns can penetrate bow-on targets, but I need to develop the routine to aim lower when backed up with these guns.

But you could be right, dealing damage to T9-10 ships is more tricky than lower tiers.

2 hours ago, Toivia said:

Lyon has very bad accuracy, but it has 16 shells. It always hits something.

Georgia has a large cruiser accuracy, unless something changed. Midway between cruisers and BBs.

When I meant cruiser dispersion is seeing shells landing very close to each others. Probably it was simply an odd match... this game seems to deal good/bad RNG consistently across matches/sessions.

[SHAFT]
Players
1,074 posts
23,136 battles

Those guns seem really trollish to me and I'm running the dispersion module.

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Players
3,611 posts
16,680 battles
17 hours ago, optimal_909 said:

I am not too scientific (I mean I am not too familiar with every ship, just aware the significant traits), I am usually selecting broadside(ish) targets with a slightly above waterline aim, and if angled I am aiming for the lower part of the superstructure. I know large caliber guns can penetrate bow-on targets, but I need to develop the routine to aim lower when backed up with these guns.

But you could be right, dealing damage to T9-10 ships is more tricky than lower tiers.

When I meant cruiser dispersion is seeing shells landing very close to each others. Probably it was simply an odd match... this game seems to deal good/bad RNG consistently across matches/sessions.

Georgia's guns do overmatch (thus penetrate no matter the angle) all of cruiser's bows and sterns with the exception of Moskva's and Stalingrad's  all lenght lower belt armor of 50mm.

Indeed, even regular cruisers can happen to have atrocius dispersion here and there. Lotsa random numbers in the equation.

• Cool 1

Players
1,686 posts
8,755 battles
On 7/11/2019 at 1:50 PM, optimal_909 said:

What's your experience with them?

I have 31% hit rate which appears better then my impression after occasions such as missing two consecutive salvos at a marginally angled, stationary DM. All six shells completely missing bow-on cruisers is not uncommon either.

Adding further salt, the average damage per hit is very low, a bit similar experience as Yamato, that shells overpen/bounce a lot of time - resulting in very low average damage output of 59k... one of the last matches, I started the game with 4 hits on two salvos, zero damage. I ended up with about 2k damage per hit average.

To sum it up, the Georgia often feels like a T9 Gneisenau without the tanky hull. I still love playing the ship though, as I'm enjoying it's speed and versatility - the ship is just ace in late game showdowns.

I just don't get the dispersion, this game can be very unforgiving with consistently good/bad dispersion and pens on various ships. I mean, yesterday my FdG gunners were at their top of the game, I even citadel'd a Zao 20 km away...

I sold mine after 3 matches, she was the quickest no in history loooooool

[-LD-]
Players
202 posts
8,168 battles
On 7/14/2019 at 6:57 PM, Toivia said:

Georgia's guns do overmatch (thus penetrate no matter the angle) all of cruiser's bows and sterns with the exception of Moskva's and Stalingrad's  all lenght lower belt armor of 50mm.

Indeed, even regular cruisers can happen to have atrocius dispersion here and there. Lotsa random numbers in the equation.

Yesterday one of my bow turrets was permanently knocked out. Now that seriously gimped the ship! :)

Felt like a T9 Mikasa. :)

[T-N-T]
Players
3,611 posts
16,680 battles

Yeah, the turrets have somewhat flat surfaces. Might be a decent idea to use both the first upgrade for turret protection and "Preventive Maintenance" captain skill. That's what I use on UK BBs and even some of the french ones (Jean Bart) and they still at times lose the turrets.

[BGNAV]
Players
203 posts
8,913 battles
1 hour ago, optimal_909 said:

Felt like a T9 Mikasa. :)

Mikasa can't hit the side of a barn if it was put in it. I just got the Georgia (yesterday) but so far I love the ship. Speed+secondaries+great accuracy... 

The turrets definitely do NOT feel weak, but I am sure they can get knocked out by a lucky BB salvo. Given the amount of guns though it would hammer the damage output severely.

I got one of my turrets locked (not destroyed) in one of the battles but it was because I was face-hugging a Kremlin. Overall I expect the turrets to behave at least as the Iowa ones (HP wise) and I have no problem with that.

EDIT: Just to add - I am running my Massa captain (full secondary build) and my modules are also focused on secondaries (except the last slot - main battery accuracy is a must). 

EDIT2: Jingles just uploaded a video for this ship. I wonder what he got wrong this time :cap_look:

Players
127 posts
9,929 battles

I'd call this ship "Buyer's remorse"

Admittedly, I don't have an optimized 19pt captain for it, I haven't played too many games, but man, those guns!!!

In 8 games I have 50% win rate, an abysmal 770 pr and meh 64k average damage. Only one satisfying game cames to mind. 

It seems to me that every time I shoot at a cruiser I get overpens. If I hit it, that is. I had games in which I was farmed by DDs and cruisers at >15km range without being able to do anything about it. 

Shooting at battleships is not much better, with salvos landing maybe 1-2 overpens and 1-2 regular pens at best of times (and of those regular pens one of them sometimes is 0 dmg!). This amounts to 5-6k salvos which is pitifully low for a tier 9 BB. There are also a lot of bounces.

Citadel hits are few and far in between even on broadside targets, unless I manage to surprize stationary targets under 10km.

People compare it to Gneisenau, but honestly I find the tier7 German BB a lot more confortable. Maybe it is also the MM bracket difference, maybe the torpedoes do give a sense  of security at close range.

I've seen quite a few in Ranked and I wonder how it performs according to stats. I wouldn't take it in rank battles over my much more consistent Musashi though!

Perhaps I have yet to learn how to shoot with this ship? Any tips?

[T-N-T]
Players
3,611 posts
16,680 battles

Don't know about Georgia's efficacy in Ranked (though I've seen a lot perform well, other than the typical potatoes), but it remains third best of all ten T9 battleships in both damage and win rate. It also sits at the shared second place in number of kills.

Seeing that the kill/death ratio of Georgia is average at best, I would conclude people use it to great success in yoloing stationary targets behind islands, a tactic very successful in Ranked, particularly against Musashis and Soyuzes with vulnerable sides. Ultimately, the Georgia dies in the yolo, but it scores decisive kills and racks up easy damage.

If you have issues being farmed at long ranges, I would look at your build, @Danucu_Tigger, simply put, you shouldn't even be spotted in such infavourable situations. Silly speed for a BB should help you with maintaining an advantageous distance: either close, within seondary range to wreck everything; or far, easily out of spotting range, to heal, reassess the situation and prepare for another charge.

Players
127 posts
9,929 battles

Regarding my build:

Main Armaments Mod1

Damage Control System Mod1

Artillery Plotting Room Mod1

Damage Control System Mod2

Concealment System Mod1

I usually play with my 19pt Montana captain but I also train my 14 pt NC and 12pt Iowa captains, so the ship is not really used to max potential. Also I mostly gave up on Concealment Expert skill since the nerf (except on the Montana).

I had this unpleasant experience in a game pushing one flank with a destroyer and running into a Saint Luis (somehow both teams decided to lemmingtrain in the other direction). While I miss-miss-bounce-overpen the cruiser gets the better of my teammate DD. I turn around and run but he keeps up. Try to ignore and shoot other ships, but the damage and fires are stacking so I resume shooting at him. I dealt him perhaps 20k damage in 8 salvos until he sank me.

Early game you can't really push into brawling range with a lot of enemy ships still alive and shooting and DDs lurking around. People do tend to pay attention  to Georgia and try to stay angled. Otherwise, most of the time they probably don't even know you shoot them ,the damage per salvo is so low!

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,130 posts
8,742 battles
2 hours ago, Danucu_Tigger said:

Regarding my build:

Main Armaments Mod1

Damage Control System Mod1

Damage Control System Mod2

Concealment System Mod1

I usually play with my 19pt Montana captain but I also train my 14 pt NC and 12pt Iowa captains, so the ship is not really used to max potential. Also I mostly gave up on Concealment Expert skill since the nerf (except on the Montana).

I had this unpleasant experience in a game pushing one flank with a destroyer and running into a Saint Luis (somehow both teams decided to lemmingtrain in the other direction). While I miss-miss-bounce-overpen the cruiser gets the better of my teammate DD. I turn around and run but he keeps up. Try to ignore and shoot other ships, but the damage and fires are stacking so I resume shooting at him. I dealt him perhaps 20k damage in 8 salvos until he sank me.

Early game you can't really push into brawling range with a lot of enemy ships still alive and shooting and DDs lurking around. People do tend to pay attention  to Georgia and try to stay angled. Otherwise, most of the time they probably don't even know you shoot them ,the damage per salvo is so low!

Why in earth would you go for the Artillery plotting room mod 1? 20 km range is not stellar but going for the reload module gives you that much more damage potential that unaware players just don´t deal with. 

[T-N-T]
Players
3,611 posts
16,680 battles
14 hours ago, ollonborre said:

Why in earth would you go for the Artillery plotting room mod 1? 20 km range is not stellar but going for the reload module gives you that much more damage potential that unaware players just don´t deal with. 

Doesn't Georgia get the US BB arrangement where the T9 upgrade is a choice between dispersion and reload boost? Range would be on the T5 upgrade slot (and yeah, I wouldn't go for range there either, either AA or secondaries).

Players
1,707 posts
3 minutes ago, Toivia said:

Doesn't Georgia get the US BB arrangement where the T9 upgrade is a choice between dispersion and reload boost? Range would be on the T5 upgrade slot (and yeah, I wouldn't go for range there either, either AA or secondaries).

image.png.1e0c0f8658872b707c2e33ee65d75c47.png

image.thumb.png.0d141db21504e8328cc0ded3ff4e384a.png

• Cool 1

Players
127 posts
9,929 battles

So I swapped the Artillery Room Mod 2 (-11% dispersion) with the Main gun Reload Module and guess what: the very first salvo fired blind at 17km over an island at a New Orleans scores a Citadel...

[_DRK_]
Beta Tester
187 posts

Guns are Trollish and her armor is mediocre no match with iowa you can get citadels from any angles.

I cant recomend this Ship.

• Boring 1