You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
StarbuckTheThird

Recommend me a destroyer line

63 comments in this topic

Players
50 posts
6,834 battles

So i'm gonna get back into destroyers and am looking for a more torpedo orientated ship line so what ships have 6km+ torp range, high concealment and decent speed?

Currently up to all tier 5 destroyers on the Japanese, US and British tech tree's and tier 3 Russian, German and Pan Asia tech tree's.

Players
126 posts
7,537 battles

For torp oriented line go with the Japanese. High stealth, decent torps and the option of truly manly play when taking TRB instead of smoke at T7+. 

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,495 battles

Yupp, just what the lads are saying. However, Japanese DD's tend to be a tad on the slow side, so if looking for a faster boat German DD's can also fit the bill. They are mainly gunboats, but can also torp from stealth and are roughly 2kn faster. They generally have 8 km torps, when comparable Japanese DD's have 10 km torps (easier to torp from stealth). Also German DD's tend to have relatively poor concealment values, while the IJN DD's tend to maintain an edge on Concealment throughout. :cap_old:

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Current meta, USN.

Middling torpedo armament in the middle tiers, but excellent torpedoes in the hightiers, very competitive concealment, nice guns for DD fights and hightier USN DDs also get DFAA to help a bit with CV harassment.

• Cool 9

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,138 battles
34 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Torps? Go Jap DDs.

Didn't you read the op?

35 minutes ago, StarbuckTheThird said:

So i'm gonna get back into destroyers and am looking for a more torpedo orientated ship line so what ships have 6km+ torp range, high concealment and decent speed?

:cap_hmm:

33 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

If your looking at torp boats, then maybe the IJN line, not sure about the RN ones, lately I have been having more fun in DD's praise to the the lord.

+

31 minutes ago, Captain_KriegWurst said:

For torp oriented line go with the Japanese. High stealth, decent torps and the option of truly manly play when taking TRB instead of smoke at T7+.

+

23 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Yupp, just what the lads are saying. However, Japanese DD's tend to be a tad on the slow side, so if looking for a faster boat German DD's can also fit the bill. They are mainly gunboats, but can also torp from stealth and are roughly 2kn faster. They generally have 8 km torps, when comparable Japanese DD's have 10 km torps (easier to torp from stealth). :cap_old:

I see the WG propaganda "Oh look at these awesome IJN torps" works while they still can do things like Yuudachi, Asashio and Shima forced 20 km grind.....or taking the smoke + TRB gimmik away from Shira the only actualy good torpedo DD that is actualy better at torpedoing ships as the others like it SHOULD be in the only "torpedo focused" line :cap_old:

On topic:

If you really like competetive Torps on higher tiers go for Fletcher (maybe even Geraing but with Torpedo acceleration if you want to use the 16,5 km torps) or the fast reloading and surprisingly decent Torps on German DDs. Sad thing is though the Z52 is in kind of a struggle right now to stay competetive against the other Tier Xs. The panasians are also very good at doing torpedo strikes with the flaw that they won't hit other DDs with torps. Just don't bother with Yueyang...

tldr: American DDs is probably the best option if we are talking about Tier IX+ right now.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,319 posts
10,110 battles
19 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

Didn't you read the op?

I did. Did you?

41 minutes ago, StarbuckTheThird said:

what ships have 6km+ torp range, high concealment and decent speed

This has Jap navy written all over it.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
8,138 battles
24 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I did. Did you?

This has Jap navy written all over it.

the problem is the word "AND"

Yes you can have fast and good concealed F3 torps but the range will be close to crap. (unusable on anything sailing away from you if you want to stay in stealth)

You can also have awesome range and somewhat decent speed with the 12 km ones but the concealment isn't really something you can call "high"

And the 20 km ones..... yes you have the range and also can suplement some speed by paying some range but the concealment.....

The ridiculous thing is that even the most competetive IJN torpedos aren't much of a "wow" compared to the other lines, which they SHOULD be given that they effectivly given up their gun DPM to a point of being helpless against another not IJN DD with same HP and playerskill. All they have going for it is their damage which isn't anything special if you consider the hitratio that comes with the other flaws.

WG is just too friggin afraid to give the only fully torpedofocused DD line in the game the torpedos they deserve.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,079 posts
19,896 battles
1 hour ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Yupp, just what the lads are saying. However, Japanese DD's tend to be a tad on the slow side, so if looking for a faster boat German DD's can also fit the bill. They are mainly gunboats, but can also torp from stealth and are roughly 2kn faster. They generally have 8 km torps, when comparable Japanese DD's have 10 km torps (easier to torp from stealth). Also German DD's tend to have relatively poor concealment values, while the IJN DD's tend to maintain an edge on Concealment throughout. :cap_old:

@StarbuckTheThird

German boats are probably the best start line.  Good all rounders  Hydro is good for keeping you out of trouble. Torps are OK and fast reloaders (so forgiving for mistakes)

Probably the easiest to start with.

IJN also good.. But IJN can be a struggle if you get jumped by a DD.... IJN DD's can hold there own but it takes some practice,

Please dont play Russian.

Russian DD's are great and great fun. BUUUUUUTTTT  they are not New player friendly. Same for French DDs when they are released.

If you play Russian as first DD tech line you are likely to get disheartened and stop playing DD's and that would be a shame 

RN DD

Royal Navy DDs are also good and good all rounders. But lack of speed boost makes it difficult to get out of trouble.

Pan Asian

Good boats if your capable of remembering your torps dont effect enemy DDs (you will be surprised how many don't) but hey are good gunboats and there torps are great against other ship classes.

USN

Good all rounders.. Guns need practice at longer ranges (another good start boat) Torps get good at higher tiers and are ok at lower tiers

• Cool 4

Players
10,023 posts
11,823 battles
3 hours ago, StarbuckTheThird said:

Currently up to all tier 5 destroyers on the Japanese, US and British tech tree's and tier 3 Russian, German and Pan Asia tech tree's.

IJN main DD line are torpedo boats pretty much, though Hatsuharu and Shiratsuyu from alternate line are worth mentioning in terms of torpedobeats. Alternatives would be Germans - big and not so stealthy but fast torps, both in speed and reload. From tier 8 onward though pretty much every nation DD carry at least competent torpedo armament, even Russian Gunboats have 8km range. USN Fletcher is also gold standard of a hightier DD, having pretty much anything you could possibly want in a DD with Benham being premium alternative, although grossly overpriced if going by amount of loot boxes surprise mechanics you have to purchase unless you grind your soul away in marathon.

Brits I find to be so "generalist" they are almost bland. Pan Asian have solid tier 6 and 7, having both solid gunpower and torpedoes, although of deepwater variety.

• Cool 1

Players
340 posts
612 battles
Vor 3 Stunden, StarbuckTheThird sagte:

Start with japanese destroyers and use the edge of stealth torping to watch and learn:

• game development - how enemy fleet moves, your fleet moves and to get a feeling where possible threats move and tend to act (Radar, Hydro, planes, enemy DDs)
  • how to position yourself to stay undetected but in working range for your torps
  • dropping schemes of torps (interleaved, tight, wide,..) and how to drop when taking into account how the targeted ship moves the next 60 seconds after you dropped

Start with smoke to have an exit option when you failed to position yourself accordingly and get spotted. After you get the feeling you wont need the smoke anymore you can switch to torp-reload-booster.

After japanese  I'd recommend to switch to the US. The higher the tier the stealther you can torp.

The smoke duration gives you some time to learn to aim properly and to get out of trouble while smoking your back out when you mispositioned.

But keep in mind, that smoke is a magnet for torps, radar, hydro and sometimes planes.

Good luck and have fun :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

Players
50 posts
6,834 battles

So to summarise what the consensus appears to be:

IJN: Fast, sneaky and torps are good, and from my experience with the torp bombers on the Hosho, the fastest and so the best option for my planned style of get in, drop torps and GTFO like a fart in the wind.

German: Not as good as IJN, but a good alternative never the less.

USN: good all rounders, but not really shining in the areas I want at mid tier, but at high tier the torps come good.

RNThe Definition of average. Excels at nothing, poor at nothing.

Russian: Can be fun once I git gud.

Upcoming French: possibly like the Russians DD's.

So yeah, this kinda reinforces the feel I got playing the low tiers, kinda all at once and some old possible inaccurate threads due to re works.

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
213 posts
6,775 battles

I'll throw in the RN DDs. Very balanced ships which got good camo, hard-hitting (though rather slow reloading) torps, good guns & a bunch of useful consumables.

Also, and that may be important in the current meta, you get a lot of short duration smokes which come in really handy if the CV has a hard-on for you.

Players
1,101 posts
12,913 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Brits I find to be so "generalist" they are almost bland.

Dunno what ship line you played for me they were the most exciting, absolutely great cap contest-ers with the best handling characteristics with some of the best guns very good stealth and usable torpedoes that are average but have bad launch angles on some ships and one of the best smokes as they reload fast but don't last long but you get loads of them so you are more inclined to use it to disengage.

Back to the OPs question while IJN are regarded as the Torpedo Boats, I find them rather poor at it due to the awe-full torpedo detection sure they have the highest torpedo damage but if they are easy to spot you won't hit them and you are more reliant on the enemy not paying attention. Hence why I would say the Germans are better torpedo boats and so are T8+ of the USN as the torpedoes are not spotted from the Moon and load much faster.

Beta Tester
1,892 posts
11,664 battles
5 hours ago, StarbuckTheThird said:

Id say Shima! That said, that line/ship has been dead to me for a long while because of powercreep and CV rework etc. My favourites right now is Grozovoi, Z52 and Harugumo. These 3 are really powerfull right now, but lacks concealment.

Players
10,023 posts
11,823 battles
Just now, Chaos_Umbra said:

Dunno what ship line you played for me they were the most exciting, absolutely great cap contest-ers with the best handling characteristics with some of the best guns very good stealth and usable torpedoes that are average but have bad launch angles on some ships and one of the best smokes as they reload fast but don't last long but you get loads of them so you are more inclined to use it to disengage.

Back to the OPs question while IJN are regarded as the Torpedo Boats, I find them rather poor at it due to the awe-full torpedo detection sure they have the highest torpedo damage but if they are easy to spot you won't hit them and you are more reliant on the enemy not paying attention. Hence why I would say the Germans are better torpedo boats and so are T8+ of the USN as the torpedoes are not spotted from the Moon and load much faster.

I can agree with Lightning and Cossack being gudbotes, you can't outbalans solid gunpower with top kek 5.5km surface detection. But Icarus and Jervis are simply meh and outclassed by Pan Asian counterparts. Daring and Jutland seems pointless compared to ye olde Fletcher and Gearing.

• Bad 1

[BODEM]
Players
775 posts
6,948 battles

My fave DD line is RN. Gotta get used to the fire arc, but nobody seem to be able to hit them with any frequency. Jervis, Lightning, Jutland and Daring are all small, mobile, fastfiring ships with great concealment, nice torps, fast depleting but low CD smoke and low range, long lasting hydro. In my experience normal gameplay of the RN DDs is: find friends while in stealth, start the rain, let the enemy notice you, let the enemy notice your size and wasd hacks are too much for their aiming and RoF and then keep up the wasd hack at max range while firing without counterfire. Thing is that people tend to get tired of missing while I'm using continuous fire in the open. In the end they seem to take the drizzle and occasional fire for granted. RN DDs can knifefight quite well too or do some more advanced DD cap contesting. Another great thing on the later RN DD's is that the rear turret can turn 360 degrees, so when you are dodging bullits, most of the time your rear turret can help out too.

Players
524 posts
3,141 battles

The wiki is suprisingly accurate at describing pros and cons of each T10 DD, assuming T10 is your goal here, i'd read up on them and decide which appeals more.

Grozovoi, Gearing & Z52 are balanced, i'd say the Z52 is most balanced.
Shima is all about concealment & torps, I wouldn't play a one trick pony.

Harugumo is a glass cannon, not much DD about it & Khaba was never a DD.
Have no experience with Daring.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,544 posts
13,842 battles
5 hours ago, StarbuckTheThird said:

First thing, you will probably have to compromise on at least one of those things somewhere on whatever tree you pick. Also, the following assumes *at least* a ten point captain (CE is basically essential on any DD that makes serious use of concealment).

The classic first lines are US and IJN; which to pick depends on what you see when you stare into your crystal balls: at the moment, CV presence in games has largely cratered, but if they return in meaningful numbers, the IJN torp line is probably boned if CVs retain their spotting abilities.

• I would pick the US personally to start with: supreme generalists and they have (for a DD) decent AA defences. You will have to endure an inability to stealth torp until you get the T7's upgraded torps, but up until that point is a great opportunity to learn how to use your guns (and when), which is an essential skill for pretty much all DDs. You also have access to plenty of worthwhile premiums.
  • The IJN torp line used to be my favourite, but the CV rework made it massively less viable. If you really want 10 km torps at relatively low tiers, it might still be worth a look, but be mindful that all your grinding may be wasted if CVs return in a meaningful way.
  • As an alternative, the IJN 'gun' line is very worthwhile in places; it's worth it for the T7 alone, which is absolutely glorious if you go with a TRB build. The main plus point (for me) of the gun line is that it's marginally less boned than the torp line if a CV takes a serious interest.
  • Don't forget: the spotting distance for pretty much all IJN torps is somewhere around the outer planets, so you're often relying on people being stupid to get hits (or get so close that you might as well be playing a more manly line anyway).
  • Don't discount the KM DDs though: although they're a bit tubby, they have good torps, and get access to the splendid smoke/hydro combination (from T6), not to mention a couple of candidates for the best DD premiums in the game. Their AA is 'good enough' to not be food for a lot of CVs. After the Americans, I might go with Germans for my second line.
  •  

After your first couple of lines, I might be tempted to look at the PA line, as it's quite interesting and varied, plus you get access to radar (if you drop smoke) from T8 upwards, which can be useful - be prepared to stop at T9 though, as the T10 has been nerfed into the ground.

It's worth having a think about what you want/need from a line though: a decent T10 is nice for the various competitive modes, although the lines with superior T10s can have flakier things lower down, and vice versa. One of my favourite DDs is Groz (T10 Russian 'torp' line) - good generalist with a heal, and monstrous AA - but getting there can be a bit wearing in places. This is another plus for the US/KM lines - mid tiers aren't too painful for either. It might be worth having a look around in Sprint to see which DDs everyone is playing; for example, I'm seeing a lot of T7 KM DDs, presumably for the smoke/hydro...

Finally, as mentioned earlier, good captains are especially important for DDs, as you're generally very reliant on concealment (Russian dakka line excepted, where hiding is for wimps); I would suggest picking a line where you have access to at least one good training premium so as to speed up the development of your captains. Again, this suggests the Americans (especially), and the Germans (conversely, the 'standard' IJN premium DD is Asashio, and that lends itself to a rather weird captain build, and gets tonked by planes).

Quite probably a stupid suggestion, but anyway: If you don't mind spending money, and have spare ten point (at least) captains, you could give things like Sims and Z-39 a lash in Ranked Sprint at the moment (there's also a package with a 10 pointer for Z-39); that'll give you an idea of the flavour of the US/KM lines. On the 'con' side, you'll probably get your [edited]handed to you if you lack suitable experience, and if you hate them, you're kind of stuck...

[SM0KE]
Players
5,544 posts
13,842 battles
26 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Daring and Jutland seems pointless compared to ye olde Fletcher and Gearing.

I think this is a little harsh: admittedly, I'm only up to T9 on this line, and you do get dumped on from a great height by planes, but Jutland is fun at least - she feels a bit like a T9 Haida. With a hydro mod on, you're functionally immune to incoming torps for an absolute age, and the single fire torps are very nice too.

My only real whinge (beside the AA sucking) is that you really have to take IFHE to get the most out of the HE. Also, I think mine may be Cursed, but that's just me...

As said before though, definitely not a 'first' DD line.

[-TPF-]
Players
3,917 posts
16,127 battles
31 minutes ago, Panocek said:

But Icarus and Jervis are simply meh and outclassed by Pan Asian counterparts.

Icarus is brilliant in a melee and wrecks battleships. A ten torp broadside is not be sniffed at. And Gadja Mada is very good, but only as good as Jervis. 

DDs are remarkably well balanced lines. I think there will always be one you love and one you can't make work in each series, though, there is no perfect line. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,101 posts
12,913 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

I can agree with Lightning and Cossack being gudbotes, you can't outbalans solid gunpower with top kek 5.5km surface detection. But Icarus and Jervis are simply meh and outclassed by Pan Asian counterparts. Daring and Jutland seems pointless compared to ye olde Fletcher and Gearing.

I found them good from tier 5 up and the tiers below were rather average, both the tier 5 and 6 have a massive torpedo Alpha Potential and despite not having Speed Boost the Acceleration characteristics they have allow you to maintain speed while dodging, the Jervis can quite easily take on the Gadjah Mada in a fight as it only out spots you by 0.1km and while he has to worry about your torps you don't about his, the guns are identical so no advantage there and he does have a speed boost but you loose less speed when dodging then there is the Hydro as well which invalidates him using smoke. Also trust me on this you do not want to end up in a gun fight in either a Fletcher or Gearing against a Jutland or Daring as you will never manage to torp them unless they make a mistake and they massively outgun you plus have a heal.

39 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I think this is a little harsh: admittedly, I'm only up to T9 on this line, and you do get dumped on from a great height by planes, but Jutland is fun at least - she feels a bit like a T9 Haida. With a hydro mod on, you're functionally immune to incoming torps for an absolute age, and the single fire torps are very nice too.

My only real whinge (beside the AA sucking) is that you really have to take IFHE to get the most out of the HE. Also, I think mine may be Cursed, but that's just me...

As said before though, definitely not a 'first' DD line.

The Jutland I kept despite when the line was announced I worried about the 34 knots max speed I took it out in the T9 ranked season when the CV Rework first hit... there was no DD i was afraid to fight up close even Kitakazes as to get all their guns on you then need to show a bit of side and the AP on the Jutland is like RN Cruiser AP with a short fuze and better pen angles. The Daring on the other hand I was having trouble with initially as going from the 5.7km detection on the Jutland to the 6km on the Daring made quite a difference, but the biggest problem I find with the ship is basically how tall the thing is it eats damage and if that isn't enough all the modules break like no tomorrow, seriously once I had both engine and rudder out, 1 torp tube out and 2 of the guns out of action all at the same time then this repeated itself every time they got repaired over the span of 5 mins I had it knocked out again.

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,895 posts
19,720 battles

So many people recommending IJN torp DDs despite them having been obsolete in almost every single role, including torps, for years...

If you want a torp boat, go for Fletcher.

• Cool 4

Players
10,023 posts
11,823 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

So many people recommending IJN torp DDs despite them having been obsolete in almost every single role, including torps, for years...

If you want a torp boat, go for Fletcher.

Obtaining Fletcher on your day two of DD adventure is somewhat unlikely, if all you want is to make "plop" sounds every minute or so:Smile_smile:

• Cool 2