You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
sgtmarple

Gneisennau, Lyon and Soviet BBs

11 comments in this topic

Players
202 posts
1,005 battles

Ok there is alot to unpack so I put it all in one in thread.

Let me just start with that I really like the Lyon, it is by far one of the better BBs and it is way better than my Fuso.  I enjoy every game with CV with it  cuz lol, dieing planes. I love the accelaration upgrade, I can  just imagine the face of the opponent wihen I just  jump from 12knots to 25 knots and all his shells misses :Smile_hiding:. However I don't get her guns. Am I better off just spamming HE with her?  My aim  has become better much better in the last 3 weeks and generally  the shells land on target but the damage is so underwhelming. My record was 8 Overpens. I almost never get penetrations,  I think I had one citadel in the last 10 games. I still kill ships , but something is very off. One game I had 64 hits 2 kills but only 34k damage. So I think it isn't my aiim, what am I doing wrong? Have they changed the Lyon somewhere along the way?

Gneisenau,

ok wtf is up with this ship? Is it just a barrel with guns? Again, coming from my Lyon  I simply cannot touch the Gneisenau. The moment I was really stunned was when my shells drop right on the Gneisennau full broadside to me and all I  got was 7 Ricochet...seriously, should I just HE Shells on the Gneisennau?

So after another frustrating 50 hits 40k damage Lyon match  I just took my Freeexp and got me the Tier IV Soviet BB and just jumped in for the lols. Didn't change they way I aim , didn't change anything in the way I play my BB and boom 5 Citadels 3 kills 95k damage first match....seriously WTF is going on? Help!

Players
1,556 posts
3,205 battles

I still don't have the Lyon, but part of the reasom might be the fact that you have 340mm guns, plus, this is copied from the wiki "AP shells are very lightweight and may struggle to deal damage against well armored and/or angled targets" and the Gneisenau is very well armored.

Only issue i have with Gneisenau is that I CAN'T HIT ANYTHING AT RANGE, i mean, my shells land in the right spot, but they either ricochet or they land in the water, and i consider my aim, decently good, i might not be a marskman, but i'm not terrible.

[CATS]
Players
26,719 posts
14,317 battles
  • Lyon, it is all about target selection: focus cruisers, use AP vs broadside battleships
  • vs Gneisenau: aim at the upper belt, it is nearly impossible for Lyon to citadel her
  • RU BB: save your Free XP for later, RU BB are good for close combat, which is frequent at Tier IV
  • Cool 1

Players
154 posts
6,554 battles

I have just finished the Gneisenau and currently using the Lyon, and i understand completely...

I enjoyed the Gneis, as its accuracy at closer ranges and pen values were great along with the defensive torps.

The Lyon i hated at first, i have finally elited it and started to enjoy it. You can't shoot BBs without them being broadside or aiming for superstructure, even doing this i get many occasions of shatters and low damage with 7-10 hits but when engaging cruisers that's when it really shines. The AP is just right to avoid alot of overpens.

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
1 ora fa, ColonelPete ha scritto:

RU BB: save your Free XP for later, RU BB are good for close combat, which is frequent at Tier IV

This! You will need freeXP to unlock range modules as stock range is really low...

Players
3,130 posts
10,768 battles

OP....

Lyon: Target selection.  You are a Cruiser destroyer, so pick them off first. You will easy do this with cruisers knocking around with 19-25 mm armour.   You normally end up HE spamming BB's, yeah your right.

Gne: Love it and tanks like a boss. Does what it's good at but crap at what it's not (Not taking hits and sniping at range).  Tank spec it. 

Russian BB's.  Currently very strong (much better than average, just look at ranked). Russian BB's are easy to use and WG will not nerf them so it's a solid line to grind. 

They all play different. But right now in this meta? Russian BB's defo.

1) Better AA than most

2) Deck armour that laughs at most things within it's tier (127, 152, mm guns ect) 

3) Quick heals and doesn't suffer from HE spam

4) Your guns overmatch almost everything even within a 2+ MM

5) Easy to play.  Bow-on and tank like a boss, then club cruisers AND BB's within 15 and less range which isn't hard to do.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,719 posts
14,317 battles

RU BB are NOT for inexperienced players.

If you do not know how and when to push, you will fail miserably with RU BB Tier V+.

[ONE2]
Players
3,084 posts
21,508 battles
4 hours ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

Only issue i have with Gneisenau is that I CAN'T HIT ANYTHING AT RANGE, i mean, my shells land in the right spot, but they either ricochet or they land in the water, and i consider my aim, decently good, i might not be a marskman, but i'm not terrible.

Gneisenau and all German BB's after it is at its best as a close-range brawler. So it has relatively inaccurate main guns in order to counterbalance its highly effective secondaries (and torps). If you want to get the best out of that ship, do not even try to snipe from a distance. You have to get in close and personal to get decent results. That is how WG has designed it to be played, try anything else and you'll just be getting yourself an endless source of grief, frustration and headache. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 2

Players
3,295 posts

For the ranked thing, I had the Gnu as my favourite ship, followed by my Nagato, I even re bought the Scharnhorst because of well, BB with torps and a spotter, whats not to love, Lyon I never really considered, in fact been a long times since I played that ship, but remember having fun in her (more amends to to be made) totally enjoyed ranked even though all I got was an 8 I think.

Sinop is a ship I am learning to come to terms with..... slowly.

WG we need more ranked battles

Players
3,295 posts
43 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

RU BB are NOT for inexperienced players.

If you do not know how and when to push, you will fail miserably with RU BB Tier V+.

Totally agree, although i think from tier 7 to 8 are the best ones, not going higher than 8, and below 7 the just don't float my boat.

Players
480 posts
8,538 battles

love the Gneisenau, always fun to torp things in it, the guns....well.....yeah, i just aim in the general direction at range and hope, many times just a single hit but sometimes you get lovely citadels with them i even managed to citadel another Gneisenau this morning....all good fun