You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ZeroSkillPureLuck

Operation Defense of Naval Station

32 comments in this topic

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,870 posts
12,352 battles

I've managed to 5 star it in the past playing solo with random team mates but it's one of the operation that I usually avoid now-a-days.

• Cool 6

[BABBY]
Players
702 posts
10,452 battles

Inb4 "we have this thread every week" meme.

It is winnable but very hard to 5star with randoms. I skip it whenever it is on rotation because i prefer to have 2-3 fast coop games with guaranteed wins than uncertain and potentially frustrating waste of 20mins of my precious gaming time.

Guess we will all have to wait for ops overhaul somewhere in 2032...

• Cool 4

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

I've five starred it but it took a couple of go's. It seemed impossible until as if by a miracle one team really became a proper team with great positioning and rallying to hot spots instead of playing selfishly. I think we ended with only two casualties and those right at the end.

• Cool 1

[BDE]
Beta Tester
477 posts
30,327 battles

this one pork scenario,please change izumo for yamato and gamers tier 5 very nice for loose battles and devaluate interesting for game,the bots esquive torps no damage real no fail shot and explode launch torps before death very LOL

and appear enemis a 25km no time for complete mission.

PLEASE REVISE THE ESCENARIO AND BOTS VERY IMPOSIBLE TO MUCH DAMAGE AND DETEC TORPS TO LAUNCH NO IN DISTANCE OF DETECCION

• Funny 5

[SM0KE]
Players
5,629 posts
13,914 battles
5 hours ago, BrusilovX said:

it's one of the operation that I usually avoid now-a-days.

4 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

I skip it whenever it is on rotation because i prefer to have 2-3 fast coop games with guaranteed wins than uncertain and potentially frustrating waste of 20mins od my precious gaming time.

These two quotes pretty much sum up my view of this scenario as well.

I wonder if the participation numbers are noticeably lower for this particular Op...

• Cool 2

Players
267 posts
14,161 battles

This operation has had a rough history. It used to be seriously hard when it was first introduced, and later changes made it easier, though I can't remember what exactly changed. Now the rework has messed it up bad. Before a good carrier on the team could negate the enemy carriers pretty effectively and do a ton of damage as well. Since the bot carriers were replaced by cruisers and battleships and carriers were nerfed to the ground, having a carrier on the team is more of a detriment. That has once again made this operation tougher.

• Cool 2

Players
5,977 posts
11,546 battles

From what I remember, it was always hard to 5-star with random plebs as usually the 3rd wave would manage to breach the perimiter before the main attack would begin.

I didn't even realise it was the weekly this week as I usually stick to playing in divs from the ops channel these days, unless it is KW or Aegis.

With Narai it's generally ok to go with a div of just 3 or so, provided the 4 random plebs do manage to kill off all the transports :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,795 posts
7,088 battles

This OP is doable 4 stars atleast, but one problem i keep seeing in this OP, allot of neanderthals.... Errm... Players tend to just go way out charging the bot waves because "need muh kills" just to die needlessly, though when the random MM lotto puts a team that knows the OP its usually a 5 star, but those are rare...verry rare. :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

Players
2,920 posts
16,661 battles
1 hour ago, Rosletyne said:

This operation has had a rough history. It used to be seriously hard when it was first introduced, and later changes made it easier, though I can't remember what exactly changed. Now the rework has messed it up bad. Before a good carrier on the team could negate the enemy carriers pretty effectively and do a ton of damage as well. Since the bot carriers were replaced by cruisers and battleships and carriers were nerfed to the ground, having a carrier on the team is more of a detriment. That has once again made this operation tougher.

2nd wave used to be tier 5-6 and 3rd wave was tier 7-8 while the final wave was tier 7-8 with an izumo or a Hiruy in the centre. That meant lots of scharnhorsts and gneisenaus, mogamis, hippers etc instead of myoko, aoba, bayern in the final wave. Obviously most random teams already collapsed on the 3rd wave with tier 8 ships, the final wave simply put a quick end to the otherwise drawn out miserable loss.

I spent around 30-40 games before 5-starring the original Naval station Newport (pure stubbornness) as you could almost hardcarry it with RTS Ryujo. The present operation is much, MUCH easier than the original (still not easy with random plebs tho). I'd recommend Leander as I once hit 300k in that one too.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,264 posts
24,239 battles

This is one of the OPs you should avoid playing solo. 

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,052 posts
10,768 battles

First time I evr played it in the then Tier VI Cleveland I got five stars.  Tried it about four times since then and results were either losses or wins with very few stars.

[-TPF-]
Players
3,932 posts
16,191 battles

I quite like it, it's quite challenging to even get a victory depending on the team you get....

25 minutes ago, 22cm said:

This is one of the OPs you should avoid playing solo. 

There's a formula to success, I think. You need a solid hybrid DD (Aigle does well) to torp the Izumo, a couple of CLs for the dakka (Leander or Perth), a well played CA (Pensacola), and some fast, competent BBs (Izmail or Normandie). Japanese DDs, cruisers without smoke, slow battleships and a CV generally spell doom (although I've seen Ryujio players do well). 

• Cool 1

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

Normandie is THE most inflammable baguette on this Op, she catches hire for almost every single shell,  the acc is crap, Ismail is far better an option. I can say even a Budi or a Dallas can do well here,  not just Leander and Perth ( Leander is almost useless vs bow-in bbs at + 10 km, considering the lack of HE..)  but you always need a couple of decent and fast bbs to deal with the waves of bow-rushing bots. Right now, I think Ismail is by far the best bb for this Op.

[ALONE]
Modder
2,184 posts
13,735 battles

As every month, don't play Ops in Newport-week. It's just not worth it. :Smile_trollface:

[-TPF-]
Players
3,932 posts
16,191 battles
49 minutes ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

Normandie is THE most inflammable baguette on this Op, she catches hire for almost every single shell,  the acc is crap, Ismail is far better an option.

I don't have an Ismail, and Normandie's secondaries (a large percentage of which fire straight forwards) are hilarious, especially if your captain has BFT...  in the end melee things just melt. 

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
26 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I don't have an Ismail, and Normandie's secondaries (a large percentage of which fire straight forwards) are hilarious, especially if your captain has BFT...  in the end melee things just melt. 

On this Op, remember, bots spam walls of torps ( many times with good ( too good...) aim, so getting on the sec range is an unworthy risk. Most of the bots always loose torps just a second before they die, and I saw, many times, literally,   15-20 torps on water at the same time, from several angles, on the  last phase, if the team fail or you got those rabbits who park their ships on the rep. circles from start.

So, I prefer to keep a bit of distance, a bit more than 6 km and less than 10. At this range, Ismail, with 12 guns, and fast shells, erase any bot cruiser and even cripple badly dds;

I even manage a double citadel on Izumo at 7 km, to my delight :Smile_veryhappy:...

For me, Normandie, on this Op, behave like an oil tanker, no matter who / what hit her, she will always burn to death.... Get Ismail, and you will just forget that french baguette !

I keep Sinop and Ismail now ONLY for Ops, are my favorite bbs. I even bought those 10 point commanders for them, using some extra tokens  from Victory event.

Players
1,737 posts
18,657 battles

Newport is certainly one of the harder operations for a lot of the more limited players to understand but getting 3 stars isn't to hard and in the worst cases it's probably the best operation to get a will to win achievement. 

Getting 5 stars is probably the main problem because so many people hide as far back as possible and won't shoot at the Destroyers in the third wave so of course they breach the cordon. 

Still I enjoy this operation can get some really satisfying damage scores especially in Budyonny and Warspite although PEF can be ok. 

Modder
4,873 posts
22,141 battles

Doing this OP from many days when grinding Benham tokens, Depending of a day 5 stars win is 1 on 3-5 games. Sometimes 5 stars are printed game after game. The most impotant is rushing second wave. It could be done solo. The best are fast BB like PEF with secondaries. Just ignore command: turn back. Other players can do whatever they want, as long as they are close to base front line and they are prrioritizing enemy DD-s in 3 wave.

[-TPF-]
Players
3,932 posts
16,191 battles
1 hour ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

On this Op, remember, bots spam walls of torps ( many times with good ( too good...) aim, so getting on the sec range is an unworthy risk.

It's fun, though, and do bear in mind that French Battleships have fast rudder shift , so you can get some good torpedobeats going. 

1 hour ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

Get Ismail, and you will just forget that french baguette !

I keep Sinop and Ismail now ONLY for Ops, are my favorite bbs.

I have seen enough Sinops and Izmails about to know they are good ships. But they have arrived at a moment in the game when I have absolutely zero enthusiasm for playing Battleships. I have enough Free XP to get myself both without having to do any grinding at all but I just can't be bothered. Especially when the same amount of XP would let me get to the Iowa or Richelieu, which I am more enthusiastic about.

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

I got Ismail from Victory event, I play a bit her and I liked, ( mainly in Ops...) and before I realized I gathered enough XP to buy Sinop - who is a beast in Ops - and the grind  rise me again a lot of XP - enough to  to get Vladi - a ship I just hated for first 50 games...

The stock variant, drive me crazy at the beginning almost every time up-tiered and facing Yammy.s, Conq.s, etc, with bad range and meh sec, awful rudder - to resume, a ship hard to use in the current meta.

You face T9/T10 in every game,  and you must survive long range snipers to be useful for your team, and your bad rudder make any enemy dd a nightmare.. But after much pain and curses, I start to feel better in her and But then come moments like , when today I manage an inexplicable win rate over 80%... ( 16 games in her in a row, 13 wins and only 3 defeats... something unexpected....) - so all was forgiven :Smile_veryhappy:...

My russian bb  grind started, like you see, because of the Victory event ( and I enjoyed ...) and once started on this road, I keep going ahead, until I get the Kremlin. I cannot use the 600k of my free XP because I want to buy a IJN cruiser with that so... I grind like a slave now :Smile_veryhappy:...

To conclude, I feel russian bbs are the best atm for Ops when it comes to bbs - all of them hit hard, can tank better than other nations if you make  stupid mistakes, and the lack of AA is no problem right now, since are no cv.s in Op.s.

I love Ashitaka, Nelson, PEF, but hell,  the silver russian bbs perform better in Ops...

Players
2,920 posts
16,661 battles
4 hours ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

( Leander is almost useless vs bow-in bbs at + 10 km, considering the lack of HE..) 

Tell that to my Leander doing 200-300k dmg. If you dare move forward to flank, angled BBs cease to be a problem. Also shooting superstructure circumvents that particular issue and if it gets close, point blank torps finished the job. I tend to sink cruisers and especially dds first since even the most drunk potatoes can't miss the BBs, and also getting rid if torps before they are launched into my smoke is a priority.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,814 posts
18,007 battles
1 hour ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Tell that to my Leander doing 200-300k dmg.

I kind of miss those damage numbers when in CV in this Op .. pre-rework :Smile_hiding:

Players
2,920 posts
16,661 battles
5 minutes ago, lup3s said:

I kind of miss those damage numbers when in CV in this Op .. pre-rework :Smile_hiding:

Yeah, Ryujo was a beast :cat_cool:

Leander is about the only ship i can reach similar highs on (albeit much more rare).

Did play Ryujo prior to 8.4 but it was nowhere near as strong, if i remember right it got 100-150k dmg.

• Cool 2