You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_H_Nelson

Why is "Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament" like it is?

33 comments in this topic

Players
3,409 posts
16,624 battles

This is where I attempt to use the collective brainpower of the forum to educate myself.:Smile_smile:

Wiki describes the Level 4 "Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament" skill as:

• Tightens dispersion of shells from secondary batteries.
  • -15% for Tier I-VI ships.
  • -60% for Tier VII-X ships.
  • Manually selected target only.

Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind the restrictions of this skill. please?:Smile_honoring:

I vaguely remember some explanation behind restricting the benefit so that it was dependent upon ship tiers - but no details.

Some other skills have restrictions (e.g BFT, AFT) but those are based on gun size.

And of course the Survivability Expert skill varies by tier but on a progressive scale.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,874 posts
14,399 battles

WG wanted to make sure that bot guns are not too powerful in the lower Tiers. This also makes botting harder.

• Cool 1

Players
2,385 posts
15,552 battles
13 hours ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

This is where I attempt to use the collective brainpower of the forum to educate myself.:Smile_smile:

Wiki describes the Level 4 "Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament" skill as:

• Tightens dispersion of shells from secondary batteries.
  • -15% for Tier I-VI ships.
  • -60% for Tier VII-X ships.
  • Manually selected target only.

Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind the restrictions of this skill. please?:Smile_honoring:

I vaguely remember some explanation behind restricting the benefit so that it was dependent upon ship tiers - but no details.

Some other skills have restrictions (e.g BFT, AFT) but those are based on gun size.

And of course the Survivability Expert skill varies by tier but on a progressive scale.

WG doesn't like Mikasa. :Smile_trollface:

There is absolutely no reason why this skill doesn't work on lower tiers with higher effectiveness.

It simply should get progressively better on lower tiers, e.g.:

20% TII, 30% TIII, 40 % TIV, 50 % TV, 60% TVI - X

• Cool 7

[DREAD]
Players
9,721 posts
6,864 battles
13 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

WG wanted to make sure that bot guns are not too powerful in the lower Tiers. This also makes botting harder.

I find this still a very lame excuse 

[CATS]
Players
26,874 posts
14,399 battles

That is what they said.

And yes, botting is easier, if the built in bot guns hit better.

[DREAD]
Players
9,721 posts
6,864 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:

That is what they said.

And yes, botting is easier, if the built in bot guns hit better.

Then they should implement something smart to prevent botting 

[CATS]
Players
26,874 posts
14,399 battles
2 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Then they should implement something smart to prevent botting 

Bigger companies than WG failed in that. You cannot catch 100%.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,794 posts
16,963 battles
17 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Yes, very lame. And even if it prevents botting and seal clubbing it also prevents developing alternative playstyles early on (e.g. I still remember secondaries Warspite). And if you are effectively prohibited from honing your skills early on any new player will never develop the skill set and match awareness to be a successful secondary BB captain later. All they ever learn is range is life, so stay back.

• Cool 2

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
6 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

Yes, very lame. And even if it prevents botting and seal clubbing it also prevents developing alternative playstyles early on (e.g. I still remember secondaries Warspite). And if you are effectively prohibited from honing your skills early on any new player will never develop the skill set and match awareness to be a successful secondary BB captain later. All they ever learn is range is life, so stay back.

TBH only "skill" WG customer should have is skill of finding "battle" button. And inserting credit card credentials in correct order:Smile_smile:

• Funny 5

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,346 posts
25,801 battles
3 minutes ago, Panocek said:

TBH only "skill" WG customer should have is skill of finding "battle" button. And inserting credit card credentials in correct order:Smile_smile:

Finding battle button just gives extra xp. Credit card is all you need.

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
Just now, Profilus said:

Finding battle button just gives extra xp. Credit card is all you need.

But it would be hard to appreciate new goodies without taking them for a spin...:Smile_trollface:

Players
7,116 posts
245 battles
50 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

WG doesn't like Mikasa. :Smile_trollface:

There is absolutely no reason why this skill doesn't work on lower tiers with higher effectiveness.

It simply should get progressively better on lower tiers, e.g.:

20% TII, 30% TIII, 40 % TIV, 50 % TV, 60% TVI - X

Dont worry, the russian 'Ivan' Will appear at tier 2 with 350mm 4x3 guns and 16x2 140mm guns with base range of 6km 4sec reload and 40% more accuracy than georgia at full secondary spec, with fast heal as well. Plus 30knot speed with 6sec rudder shift and 600m turning circle

balans!

also dont forget to tune into wargamings 'naval legends' to see how ivan destroyed most of the ships in the russio-japanese war of 1904! da!

• Funny 3

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,346 posts
25,801 battles
19 minutes ago, Panocek said:

But it would be hard to appreciate new goodies without taking them for a spin...:Smile_trollface:

Yeah , but from WG point of view its not important. They would even save money if they dont have to feed hamsters because u want to take a spin in new goodie. Just having it on your account should be enough.

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
10 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

also dont forget to tune into wargamings 'naval legends' to see how ivan destroyed most of the ships in the russio-japanese war of 1904! da!

But run out of ammunition and was eventually overwhelmed by wave style assaults of samurais in canoes.

3 minutes ago, Profilus said:

Yeah , but from WG point of view its not important. They would even save money if they dont have to feed hamsters because u want to take a spin in new goodie. Just having it on your account should be enough.

imagine shock, when WG would realize you don't need to purchase ships to look at them, you simply can install tech tree mod and spin camera that way:cap_haloween:

• Funny 2

Players
7,116 posts
245 battles
2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

But run out of ammunition and was eventually overwhelmed by wave style assaults of samurais in canoes.

Da! wus gud battle comrade! *hic*

*collapses on floor*

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,659 battles

The earlier ships still used Mark 1 Eyeball as their fire control system for secondary guns, with the 'main' fire controls being for the main batteries. As ships develop, then additional systems were put in place specifically for the secondary batteries.

One of the advantages of the 'all big gun' designs (Dreadnought) was that it reduces the profusion of gun calibers on a ship - which caused problems with the increasing ranges for naval battles as each caliber of weapon needs a different firing solution to be effective and hit the intended target.

Which is probably why WG abstracted this into two brackets according to tier, which sort of follows the timeline of ship development.

• Cool 2

Players
609 posts
19,582 battles

history. 

yamato have 9 cannons. why? its history.

secondary aiming of older ships... inaccurate. history...

• Cool 1

Players
2,878 posts
19,258 battles

I want to know why I can't has improved dispersion everywhere instead of just one poor sod I select :Smile_trollface:

Players
7,116 posts
245 battles
3 minutes ago, Milan_G_ said:

history. 

yamato have 9 cannons. why? its history.

secondary aiming of older ships... inaccurate. history...

Ships getting set on fire? History.

image.png.d211edc69390eb0205a3990947acd816.png

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
4 minutes ago, Europizza said:

I want to know why I can't has improved dispersion everywhere instead of just one poor sod I select :Smile_trollface:

Because you put all available standard issue, mark 1, eyeball on that specific target:Smile_trollface:

[NED]
Players
2,059 posts
7,994 battles

I would not mind if they removed the manual aiming only bit so that the skill only adds extra accuracy to selected targets.

And everything else gets shot at with regular accuracy.

• Cool 1

Players
8,199 posts
9,087 battles
1 hour ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Given how secondaries get inaccurate over range very fast (and achieve quite impressive accuracy at very close distances), I'd really not consider it reasonable to allow the full benefits at T4 or T5. At T5 for example, most secondaries can fullpen most other ships and while 5.8 km for a secondary spec sounds not too impressive, for T4/5 matches, that's actually pretty usable. If secondaries were given full secondary build benefits, you'd basically shred the small ships that get in range with little mercy.

[DREAD]
Players
9,721 posts
6,864 battles
4 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Given how secondaries get inaccurate over range very fast (and achieve quite impressive accuracy at very close distances), I'd really not consider it reasonable to allow the full benefits at T4 or T5. At T5 for example, most secondaries can fullpen most other ships and while 5.8 km for a secondary spec sounds not too impressive, for T4/5 matches, that's actually pretty usable. If secondaries were given full secondary build benefits, you'd basically shred the small ships that get in range with little mercy.

And again the world isn’t 0 or 1.

You could easily implement a progression through the tiers to cater for the differnces in fighting distance 

BUT: but it would allow you to keep your build. And not redo it completely after hitting T7

• Cool 2