You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Verblonde

Thinking of rebuilding some DDs...

30 comments in this topic

[SM0KE]
Players
5,570 posts
13,858 battles

Does anyone have any sense of whether the current plummet in CV numbers is likely to be long-term?

I ask as I was wondering about reverting to my old 100% surface-to-surface builds on my DDs; I haven't been paying enough attention to be able to estimate if the CV threat is likely to return any time soon. At the moment, I'm running AA-heavy builds that are slightly sub-optimal when there aren't any planes to shoot at.

No, I'm not going to wade through the CV Rework thread, as it's too d**n long, and I doubt the opinions I'm after will even be in there.

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,904 posts
19,732 battles

CVs are still more prevalent than before despite having roughly the same playernumbers now as pre-rework. This is due to the playerbase being concentrated in fewer tiers.

Take from that what you will. If you use anything related to flak tho you can essentially drop it without any issues unless ofc your DD requires AFT for gun range.

• Cool 1

[_FK_]
Players
222 posts
5,776 battles

I went back to playing DD's since... I guess 0.8.4?

So far, I'm doing fine in my Shima and in my smokeless Kagero.

Just don't yolo into the cap at the start of the game, wait for the first flight to pass and after that, in my experience, most CV's focus on farming cruisers / BB's and don't really spot for DD's.

They will only attack if:

1: they fly over you and spot you

2: if you try to solo hunt down the CV

Note: this is based as a JP torpedo DD. I have not much experience in other DD's

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,786 posts
16,893 battles
20 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

If you use anything related to flak tho you can essentially drop it without any issues unless ofc your DD requires AFT for gun range.

Usually BFT for more DD vs DD fire power and of course to Def AA or not to Def AA (in the few DDs that can).

Currently I am also thinking in a similar direction as @Verblonde, just for Cruisers (Def AA vs hydro).

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,870 posts
12,352 battles

CV rework is still WIP so it's really anyone's guess as to the impact of the next balancing.

• Cool 3

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,904 posts
19,732 battles
12 minutes ago, Ubertron_X said:

Currently I am also thinking in a similar direction as @Verblonde, just for Cruisers (Def AA vs hydro).

Funny thing about that, for DFAA on cruisers to be worth it your AA needs to have a very specific power level. Most AA heavy cruisers don't benefit from DFAA because the CV only gets one strike regardless. Meanwhile if your AA is worthless DFAA won't do you much good either.

So for DFAA to be effective you need to have just enough AA so that without DFAA you would get struck more than once, but with DFAA you only get attacked once.

Cruisers aren't the most effective AA platform anymore anyway aside from some very few exceptions. BBs with glorious fighter squad are now the AA masterrace.

Probably as WG intended.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,786 posts
16,893 battles
15 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Most AA heavy cruisers don't benefit from DFAA because the CV only gets one strike regardless.

Well I still have this crazy idea that if I kill enough planes with each attack run the CV will eventually run out of planes / choices, so my aim is to eliminate the CV squad, regardless if the one strikes comes through. Nonetheless thanks for the advice. :cap_like:

• Cool 2

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
529 posts
18,440 battles

It might be worth waiting a little to see what's happening with HE Penetration and IFHE. They haven't confirmed or denied whether the change to the strength of IFHE will also affect Destroyers, but one of the changes would mean that HE shells would penetrate if their penetration equalled or exceeded the armour thickness rather than only if it exceeded it.

• Cool 2

Players
330 posts
8,844 battles
6 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Does anyone have any sense of whether the current plummet in CV numbers is likely to be long-term?

I ask as I was wondering about reverting to my old 100% surface-to-surface builds on my DDs; I haven't been paying enough attention to be able to estimate if the CV threat is likely to return any time soon. At the moment, I'm running AA-heavy builds that are slightly sub-optimal when there aren't any planes to shoot at.

No, I'm not going to wade through the CV Rework thread, as it's too d**n long, and I doubt the opinions I'm after will even be in there.

If you're playing RU DDs from T9 or USN DD from same tier, keep the AA build as that is their specialty. They work just fine. If you have AA-heavy builds on things like Shimakaze, I'd say you should drop them, because they only increase your effectiveness by a tiny smidge against planes and sacrifice other things that are useful against surface ships.

The lack of carriers right now is mostly due to the changes in 0.8.4 (speed nerfs) and then the cherry on top, the changes in 0.8.5 (basically your planes get punished for flying rather than getting punished for failing to dodge).

• Cool 1

Players
2,256 posts
20,630 battles
Vor 14 Stunden, Verblonde sagte:

WG have made it absolutely plain in St Petersburg that their priority is to keep the CV population at a constant level and they will therefore buff them again (or nerf AA, respectively) once the numbers drop sufficiently.

In any event, to save gold, captain skill redistribution can be postponed until the next free phase, which should take place in about three weeks at the latest, when the next clan battle season commences.

• Cool 1

[77MM]
Players
408 posts
14,369 battles

If you take out a DD without AA, you can guarantee getting a CV.  And this includes ships that have such bad AA there is zero point using AA skills on them - If i buffed the Cossack it would take 4 minutes to shoot down a single plane instead of 5!

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
780 posts
6,948 battles
14 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Funny thing about that, for DFAA on cruisers to be worth it your AA needs to have a very specific power level. Most AA heavy cruisers don't benefit from DFAA because the CV only gets one strike regardless. Meanwhile if your AA is worthless DFAA won't do you much good either.

So for DFAA to be effective you need to have just enough AA so that without DFAA you would get struck more than once, but with DFAA you only get attacked once.

Cruisers aren't the most effective AA platform anymore anyway aside from some very few exceptions. BBs with glorious fighter squad are now the AA masterrace.

Probably as WG intended.

That's because WG doesn't only have to balance a single cruiser vs a CV attack but also has to take into consideration other make ups of different ships grouping up. Then DFAA on a not so AA heavy cruiser weighs in on the equation.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,346 posts
25,751 battles
15 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I ask as I was wondering about reverting to my old 100% surface-to-surface builds on my DDs

Have to admit i haven't played DD's much after rework, but i didnt change anything in their build because it used to be useless(unless u liked to shoot down potatoes) and now you will shoot down something anyway. In my few games in them i have done OK except maybe 3 games when there was unicum+ CV on enemy team.

[THESO]
Players
812 posts
15 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I was waiting for this moment, when people are respecing back from AA builds

giphy.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[SM0KE]
Players
5,570 posts
13,858 battles
2 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Just play RN DDs...

I have to admit, I've been giving Jutland a bit of a run-out lately, having largely neglected it recently - if the planes numbers remain low for a few more weeks, I might finally be able to unlock the T10.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,266 posts
6,548 battles
28 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I have to admit, I've been giving Jutland a bit of a run-out lately, having largely neglected it recently - if the planes numbers remain low for a few more weeks, I might finally be able to unlock the T10.

They are somewhat OP imo, but thanks to the CV rework they haven't nerfed the Daring yet...
Very fun and capable ship line. 

• Cool 1

[77MM]
Players
408 posts
14,369 battles
33 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

You better be quick, there's a nerf on the way for the Jutland (can't remember what)

• Cool 1

Players
5,977 posts
11,524 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

I'm loving Jutland! :Smile_great:

Its mayor drawbacks imo are its slow speed and its non-existant AA. It's very nimble, but rewards good planning/positioning and spotting for your team.

40 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

They are somewhat OP imo, but thanks to the CV rework they haven't nerfed the Daring yet...
Very fun and capable ship line. 

All DDs are kinda OP. It's the most OP class in the game except maybe for carriers for now. I mean I did great in benson when the carrier rework had just been released and carriers still had RPF and the old rocket planes. But they have dumbed down DD gameplay a lot, which is making DDs played so much that WG had to set a soft cap of 4 per team and DD mains tend to yolo into the caps in basically every single game these days. It's just sad to see what has happened to DDs in the last year :Smile_sad:

Bad/careless gameplay should be punished, but I see so many DDs openwater gunboat cruisers and then WG changes DDs so they get even more staying power. Personally I think it's retarded, but I'm not the one calling the shots here anyway.

• Cool 3

Players
330 posts
8,844 battles
4 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

It's the most OP class in the game except maybe for carriers for now.

I would say they still are, but most people play them like numpties. Meanwhile, I struggle to have as much influence in the game playing CV as I do my Gearing, and Gearing is a bit of a slouch compared to others like Daring and Groz. Still addicted to that fat, pregnant DD :D

Took my thicc girl out of port so much she exploded into 1 million XP and made my wife jealous. :)))

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
13,904 posts
19,732 battles
9 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

That's because WG doesn't only have to balance a single cruiser vs a CV attack but also has to take into consideration other make ups of different ships grouping up. Then DFAA on a not so AA heavy cruiser weighs in on the equation.

In case of multiple ships you are unlikely to get off more than one attack anyway unless the AA of all ships involved is particularly pathetic. DFAA plays no part in it.

[77MM]
Players
408 posts
14,369 battles
22 minutes ago, mlgomez said:

I would say they still are, but most people play them like numpties. Meanwhile, I struggle to have as much influence in the game playing CV as I do my Gearing, and Gearing is a bit of a slouch compared to others like Daring and Groz. Still addicted to that fat, pregnant DD :D

Took my thicc girl out of port so much she exploded into 1 million XP and made my wife jealous. :)))

I played the gearing a lot, and my stats aren't great - but I'm a better player these days, and finding recently that I'm having much more influence than any other DD that i play. I think it's because i play a lot less aggressively that the Daring or Groz, because of the lack of heals. And being able to torp from range with all Russian long range radar around (yes i use the long range torps) helps with that.

Reasonable stealth, and can still cause a lot of damage with the guns - in the right circumstances. 

[THESO]
Players
4,074 posts
23 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Probably as WG intended.

DefAA should "panic" squads as before. Now its bound to AA values and I dont like that.

Players
330 posts
8,844 battles
31 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

I played the gearing a lot, and my stats aren't great - but I'm a better player these days, and finding recently that I'm having much more influence than any other DD that i play. I think it's because i play a lot less aggressively that the Daring or Groz, because of the lack of heals. And being able to torp from range with all Russian long range radar around (yes i use the long range torps) helps with that.

Reasonable stealth, and can still cause a lot of damage with the guns - in the right circumstances. 

Honestly, there are times when I'd rather be playing Kagero, but being able to torp outside radar ranges is nice. I still like to bait radars and get in close when they're on cooldown to do some hilarious WTF plays that ends up getting me a double strike once in awhile. And with 16 torpedoes with TRB, I manage to be an element of greater chaos than with 10.