Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

WG's ongoing process of CV balancing and the Social Justice question

21 comments in this topic

Players
2,250 posts
20,571 battles

Many of you will have noticed that Flamu as well as iChase have released the full raw footage of the @MrConway's CV rework balancing presentation from the St Petersburg CC summit on their respective youtube channels.

(And also, it is called Guy Kawasaki's 10-20-30 rule of Powerpoint. Look it up. Do it now. Do not pass "Go!")

There's a very pertinent question in the comments:

"If they openly admit they are doing ongoing, dramatic CV/AA testing on the live server where is the free commander skill respec? "

Actually it has been put forth in the past that commander skill point redistribution should generally be free. We already paid for those hard-earned skill points with time spent populating WG's servers. They should be ours to redistribute at any time as we see fit. They basically are already in the console version if I understand correctly.

• Cool 5

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,625 posts
12,678 battles
5 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Many of you will have noticed that Flamu as well as iChase have released the full raw footage of the CV rework balancing presentation from the St Petersburg CC summit on their respective youtube channels.

"If they openly admit they are doing ongoing, dramatic CV/AA testing on the live server where is the free commander skill respec? "

Actually it has been put forth in the past that commander skill point redistribution should generally be free. We already paid for those hard-earned skill points with time spent populating WG's servers. They should be ours to redistribute at any time as we see fit. They basically are already in the console version if I understand correctly.

On console version you have one commander for all ships

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,891 posts
10,520 battles

I beg to differ here, this isn't a thread about CVs but commenting about the use of the live system for testing and how to compensate players for being test Guinea Pigs. 

I respectfully ask that you reconsider closing this thread. 

This was sent to me by @Cambera_1

and he looks right actually so taking the lock back.

It is an interesting subject to discuss,

testing things in live server has to be done.. actually all the game is just a test 24 / 7.

Which developers always getting some results out of..

But free captain respec.. I would love that too.. but I would love some free fuel on my bike too..

Companies need to make money I guess :)

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2

[HOO]
Players
1,900 posts
3,737 battles
1 hour ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Many of you will have noticed that Flamu as well as iChase have released the full raw footage of the @MrConway's CV rework balancing presentation from the St Petersburg CC summit on their respective youtube channels.

There is no effort by WG to 'balance CV's'. The rework will be deemed a success if CV player numbers don't drop below 20%. THe CV player numbers is the deciding factor in what changes are made to CV's or AA.

[BOBS3]
Players
1,014 posts
19,211 battles

I believe that a limited "re-specing" of skippers is fair for the duration of this testing - one re-spec per skipper per update + one re-spec of ship modules too on a per ship per update.

Edited by Cambera_1
Clarity of text
  • Cool 3

Players
10,023 posts
11,823 battles
6 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

There is no effort by WG to 'balance CV's'. The rework will be deemed a success if CV player numbers don't drop below 20%. THe CV player numbers is the deciding factor in what changes are made to CV's or AA.

Aren't CV players already at +-5% aka old RTS level?

[DREAD]
Players
9,695 posts
6,862 battles

I think latest for 0.8.7 when the monkey AA button hits live they need to give a respec. I removed manual AA pretty much from all captains - might be viable again after the update. 

• Cool 2

Players
2,250 posts
20,571 battles
Vor 27 Minuten, Panocek sagte:

The fraction of Random battles with CVs in them certainly isn't. Sadly.

And re: post-this-crap-in-the-CV-rework-thread, <rant> I maintain that is just a form of censorship because nobody except the geekiest nerds still reads that after a hundred-x pages.

Not the least because sadly, webforums have a worse structure than some 80s DOS mailbox networking programs. Sweet Crosspoint, it must be really really difficult to replicate your glorious tree structure 30-odd years later in Javascript and html.

</rant>

• Cool 4

[HOO]
Players
1,900 posts
3,737 battles
2 hours ago, Panocek said:

Yes but apparently when the scales of balance tipped towards AA, CV numbers drop, when it goes in favour of the CV the numbers increase. And WG have apparently said CV rework success is based on numbers playing, so balancing isn't about fair play, its about keeping enough CV players happy that they still want to play.

[HOO]
Players
1,900 posts
3,737 battles
1 hour ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

The fraction of Random battles with CVs in them certainly isn't. Sadly.

And re: post-this-crap-in-the-CV-rework-thread, <rant> I maintain that is just a form of censorship because nobody except the geekiest nerds still reads that after a hundred-x pages.

Not the least because sadly, webforums have a worse structure than some 80s DOS mailbox networking programs. Sweet Crosspoint, it must be really really difficult to replicate your glorious tree structure 30-odd years later in Javascript and html.

</rant>

The thing is the on;y way to balance is to test in the live environment. It's the only place players play 'normally'.

Players
124 posts
593 battles

Man, I honestly don't know how to feel about this, currently it is playable as long you are not up tiered +2 as a T8 CV since even with the current AA buffs it feels excessive when you're bottom tier and they intend to buff AA even more and then nerf spotting in the future so basically adding stealth AA cruisers back

[CW-EU]
Players
467 posts
4,813 battles

Well, you certainly don't need AA spec at present.... planes fall from the sky like confetti, even around two IJN DD's with next-to-no AA.

If they are still tweaking, every iteration should grant a free respec.

Players
2,250 posts
20,571 battles
Vor 9 Minuten, WynnZeroOne sagte:

If they are still tweaking, every iteration should grant a free respec.

That would equal a free respec every month for the foreseeable future.

Nice to have but I'd still prefer they'd just call it a day and removed CVs as a playable class.

• Cool 3

Players
10,023 posts
11,823 battles
34 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

That would equal a free respec every month for the foreseeable future.

Nice to have but I'd still prefer they'd just call it a day and removed CVs as a playable class.

But then, how you would test new mechanics on live server? :Smile_trollface:

Players
492 posts
9,736 battles
6 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

and WG like:

4b58411940ea0f732a206250dd636713.jpeg

• Funny 2

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
10,412 battles
4 hours ago, Excavatus said:

You just earned my respect !!!

• Cool 5

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles

I watched till 8:30 in Flamus video before I already rage quitted ...

• Funny 1

Players
2,250 posts
20,571 battles
Vor 58 Minuten, havaduck sagte:

rage quitted ...

All the videos from the CC summit have had a similar effect on me as well.

It bears pointing out though that MrConway probably isn't responsible for the assumptions and spreadsheets and balancing practices in question. Rather, his job is to communicate things to the CCs, media and player base, a thankless and stressful task. As such, I am grateful for all these insights into the workings of WG development.

[MORIA]
Players
7,341 posts
36,547 battles
7 hours ago, Excavatus said:

I beg to differ here, this isn't a thread about CVs but commenting about the use of the live system for testing and how to compensate players for being test Guinea Pigs. 

I respectfully ask that you reconsider closing this thread. 

It is an interesting subject to discuss,

testing things in live server has to be done.. actually all the game is just a test 24 / 7.

Which developers always getting some results out of..

But free captain respec.. I would love that too.. but I would love some free fuel on my bike too..

Companies need to make money I guess :)

Well, if you get the commander into 19 points it would be good to have our free respec. Before that the respec should be paid by dubs or elite commander exp. 

Players
7,034 posts
245 battles
4 hours ago, Carrier_Graf_Zeppelin said:

Man, I honestly don't know how to feel about this, currently it is playable as long you are not up tiered +2 as a T8 CV since even with the current AA buffs it feels excessive when you're bottom tier and they intend to buff AA even more and then nerf spotting in the future so basically adding stealth AA cruisers back

Yee its tricky managed to do 158k in miss lexi (somehow) in a tier 10 game but even in a tier 9 game trying to do lots of damage was somewhat difficult (teams very odd positioning didnt help either) only managed around 80k in both games.

[MORIA]
Players
7,341 posts
36,547 battles
4 hours ago, Carrier_Graf_Zeppelin said:

Maybe they meant that the CV will only spot for himself? Or delayed spotting just like radar?

Sign in to follow this