You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
UncappingBadger

Opinions on an accidental friendly torp

120 comments in this topic

Players
37 posts

So i've just had a game in my Harugumo. I got radar'd by an Alaska who couldn't engage me himself, but a minotaur hiding behind an island was able too. I returned fire, began evasive maneuvers and  popped torps in his direction, both sides of the island. In the event he decided he was going to pursue. I know its highly unlikely a Mino is going to get torp'd but if you don't fire them they're never going to hit. Anyway, he killed me but obviously my torps don't die with me so they kept going. Now when i launched the torps their path was clear of friendlies and nobody was even remotely close to being hit with them, however after a period of travel time  a Kurfurst  completely ignored my torpedos and sailed right in to them. 

I obviously can't see in to the future and predict what another player is going to do and I got my name in pink. To be honest, i couldn't care less. It was an accident and it wasn't like I intentionally went out of my way to torp a friendly ship. I would have been more than happy to apologise to the player I hit but then got called an idiot by the player, then the usual attempt at stat bashing (i hide my stats for that very reason. Stats are not why i play the game, and i don't see why someone should be able to ruin my enjoyment of the game and berate me because they don't like what my stats say). It's not my fault if that player lacks the situational awareness required to make sure he doesn't get himself torpedoed. 

So my question is this. What's your thoughts on this? I took the time to check for friendlies before torping, and fired them with the understanding at that moment in time no friendlies would get in the way. Am I in the wrong, or did the other play over-react? In addition, do you think the system punishing a player for this kind of accident is fair? Surely the game can recognise where the ship was when i fired and where he was when he got hit and recognise he turned into the torps, not the other way round.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
961 posts
6,474 battles

I will be very brief despite the fact you wrote a nice long post. The answer to all your questions is very easy.

Your torps - Your pink.

Its not a big deal, pink is a nice color. Play two CoOp games and forget about it. 

• Cool 21

Players
37 posts

I get that, mate. Being pink isn't my issue. My problem is the way i'm instantly to blame for it. I can do everything right but if some muppet lacks the intelligence to check his surroundings every now and again i'm penalised for it. I just don't think its a fair system.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3
  • Angry 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,599 posts
14,063 battles

Well, despite that the fact that teammates sometimes seem to go any length to be able to get hit by your torps (which includes BBs somehow able to reach top speeds like a Le Terrible on speed boost) Saltface has already said it:

Your torps - your responsibility.

• Cool 5

[TEC]
Beta Tester
175 posts

Never fire torps if you risk hitting a teammate - even if it requires said team mate to make a illogical manouvre or 'not check his surroundings' properly to get hit.

BBs in particular will simply not have the time to constantly check for friendly torps, if they are engaged in battle and trying to avoid enemy torps or carrier attacks in the process.

Usually - just write sry in chat when something like this occurs. That's all you can do, really.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,599 posts
14,063 battles
16 minutes ago, UncappingBadger said:

I get that, mate. Being pink isn't my issue. My problem is the way i'm instantly to blame for it. I can do everything right but if some muppet lacks the intelligence to check his surroundings every now and again i'm penalised for it. I just don't think its a fair system.

As long as the game itself does not provide means to better indicate areas threathened by friendly torps he is not to blame.

I once had a friendly, bow-tanking BB asking for help in chat and replied in chat that I am going to help (in a DD). So I shot some fish in front of the enemies charging his very position. And what did this guy do? Accelerated towards the enemy, going in for a brawl and while doing so cleverly manouvered his ship in front of the enemy ships, when he easily could also have brought the enemy in between him and my torps instead. End of story: Friendly sunk, me pink and wondering just about how many bad decisions had just been made (my attempt at teamplay included).

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
2,162 posts
18 minutes ago, UncappingBadger said:

Don't worry I did a clan mate in the same way, no voice comms either so I could not type fast enough, I did apologise though, no salt, just plenty of laughter.

Players
258 posts
6,673 battles

Chances are that if you're in a torpedo-focused destroyer with decent concealment and are likely to hit some teammate with a torpedo, he's either overextended or you're too far back. If he's overextended, wait for the turnip to inevitably die and then find some way to torpedo around the corpse and make sure your torps don't get caught in all the spilled glue he was eating.

If you're "underextended" fix it first and then torpedo.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
37 posts
1 minute ago, mlgomez said:

Chances are that if you're in a torpedo-focused destroyer with decent concealment and are likely to hit some teammate with a torpedo, he's either overextended or you're too far back. If he's overextended, wait for the turnip to inevitably die and then find some way to torpedo around the corpse and make sure your torps don't get caught in all the spilled glue he was eating.

It was late game and had degenerated into several different melee's. He only managed to get in front of me orientation wise because i turned round to hunt another DD. He was heading toward me kiting away from HE spam. When I was engaged by the Mino, i tried to rush him so the island would block his shots so we were closing on each other. He was a good 2 map squares to the right of my torpedo track when i fired. Nothing was to his left to make him turn right like he did. Honestly I think it was deliberate but if the community consensus is that i'm in the wrong regardless then i'll just have to accept it. I don't agree with it but what else can I do.

Thanks for your input. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[POI--]
Players
5,941 posts
7,236 battles
38 minutes ago, UncappingBadger said:

Why do people all the time think they shouldn't be at fault and being pink is way too punishing? First off, no, most other people are intently paying attention to the enemy, they have no time paying attention to maybe getting shot in the back by allies, because, you know, that's not exactly something that should happen in the first place. Second, you know it likely won't hit the Mino, yet it was possible to hit the GK. Well, great. Why is it so hard to accept responsibility? Like, I got over 6k games, I'm certainly not going to pretent I haven't been pink because of careless torps. We all end up there at some point. But I also take it as a warning to be more careful next time, not go on the forums and complain. Lastly, you're pink. Is there really an issue with it? It's a warning. It is in no way penalising you except for the colour. You earn exactly as much as non-pinks, you still have access to all game modes, there's really nothing to complain about. Is it that hard to accept a warning and not go and complain? 

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,715 posts
12,392 battles
49 minutes ago, mlgomez said:

Best explanation on the subject ever.

Players
318 posts
4,522 battles

friendly torp paths should be overlayed on the water surface teh moment they are launched.

i can easily 180 and sail back into the path of torps that would otherwise have been far behind me, and the guy firing them would have no idea about the manoeuvres i was going to pull.

• Cool 1

[TWS]
Players
35 posts
12,251 battles

Well as long as game doesn't have manual detonation buttons, u basically could not do anything about it.. It can be bad luck or in normal case very bad team mate who doesn't know how to look around... Once I was playing on my Asashio drop my torps to enemy BB killed him and one single torp did not hit that BB and kept going forward and at the end sunk own BB at 19km, only because he didn't bother look around him all that time what it takes to get torp that far. 

Players
89 posts
3,933 battles

I believe your torps should be your responsibility, to a reasonable extent.

Torps already traveled 10km or more, and an ally decided to turn directly into their path? Ya, there's no way you could have predicted that, and you shouldn't be blamed for it.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[DAVY]
Players
1,956 posts
10,736 battles

the GK was 2 map squares away? holy smoke, i must play mine again, i didn't realise they buffed the speed of the old whale so much...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,446 posts
4 hours ago, JimmyThePirate said:

I believe your torps should be your responsibility, to a reasonable extent.

Torps already traveled 10km or more, and an ally decided to turn directly into their path? Ya, there's no way you could have predicted that, and you shouldn't be blamed for it.

Of course they remain your responsibility in such cases. Why would you torp from that far out into a direction where your ally can appear? If your ally is that much closer to the enemy then you are, he is busy fighting the enemy and the last thing your ally needs are some backstabbing torps limiting his moves.

If your suggestion would be made true, and WG once considered it for a very brief moment, then teamkilling by torps would be made real easy. Just travel away from your teammates and start sending out those fishes as fast as they can reload.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
521 posts
9,989 battles

I am ignoring friendly torpedos as they just should not be there. I want to position myself in best way to engage or avoid enemy. My teammates are not supposed to throw torpedoes at me. I have seen much too many times the torps that have been able to reach me not enemies. From couple of such incidents I just disregard torps incoming from strange directions (and I am surprised if sometimes they are enemy torps not friendly).

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,263 posts
13,372 battles

No accidents there. I always eat them on purpose, since most of a time they are fired without though process being involved... :Smile_trollface:

And sometimes - sadly that not more often - one is rewarded with offender in chat going bonkers. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
476 posts
9,115 battles
6 hours ago, thoso1973 said:

Never fire torps if you risk hitting a teammate - even if it requires said team mate to make a illogical manouvre or 'not check his surroundings' properly to get hit.

I feel it's not quite that simple. It's always a risk versus reward thing. Quite often when you're playing close to another friendly DD, it's only reasonable that he checks his surroundings just as I check mine. It's just more efficient, more fluid play that way, and it's not like an accident would kill any real sailors...

Or you might have a hairy situation with a red ship with friendlies behind it. Neither of these situations are a case of anybody overextending or underextending, either. Sometimes you become pink without doing anything terribly wrong, or not at all. Both players should then just shrug it off. 

• Cool 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,446 posts

In regards to the thread title:

Opinions on an accidental friendly torp

There are no friendly torps. They will always hurt you once you make physical acquaintence.

I guess an accidental friendly torp is one fired by an enemy hitting an enemy. It still wasn't friendly to anyone, though you might think it was as it hurt your foe by accident.

[CATS]
Players
20,018 posts
12,420 battles
7 hours ago, UncappingBadger said:

So i've just had a game in my Harugumo. I got radar'd by an Alaska who couldn't engage me himself, but a minotaur hiding behind an island was able too. I returned fire, began evasive maneuvers and  popped torps in his direction, both sides of the island. In the event he decided he was going to pursue. I know its highly unlikely a Mino is going to get torp'd but if you don't fire them they're never going to hit. Anyway, he killed me but obviously my torps don't die with me so they kept going. Now when i launched the torps their path was clear of friendlies and nobody was even remotely close to being hit with them, however after a period of travel time  a Kurfurst  completely ignored my torpedos and sailed right in to them. 

I obviously can't see in to the future and predict what another player is going to do and I got my name in pink. To be honest, i couldn't care less. It was an accident and it wasn't like I intentionally went out of my way to torp a friendly ship. I would have been more than happy to apologise to the player I hit but then got called an idiot by the player, then the usual attempt at stat bashing (i hide my stats for that very reason. Stats are not why i play the game, and i don't see why someone should be able to ruin my enjoyment of the game and berate me because they don't like what my stats say). It's not my fault if that player lacks the situational awareness required to make sure he doesn't get himself torpedoed. 

So my question is this. What's your thoughts on this? I took the time to check for friendlies before torping, and fired them with the understanding at that moment in time no friendlies would get in the way. Am I in the wrong, or did the other play over-react? In addition, do you think the system punishing a player for this kind of accident is fair? Surely the game can recognise where the ship was when i fired and where he was when he got hit and recognise he turned into the torps, not the other way round.

Your torps your responsibility. We have probably over 100 Threads about this....

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,263 posts
13,372 battles
17 hours ago, mlgomez said:

Chances are that if you're in a torpedo-focused destroyer with decent concealment and are likely to hit some teammate with a torpedo

Huh? That one just screams L2P. :Smile_teethhappy:

I can do everything right but if some muppet lacks the intelligence to check his surroundings every now and again i'm penalised for it.

Obviously if friendly eats your torpedoes it means you haven't done everything right.

I just don't think its a fair system.

You are not going to find any consolation here I'm afraid.

Your torpedoes - your responsibililty.

• Cool 5

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,858 posts
17,299 battles

A few points before i get to the bold.

As a DD man (over 5.5k games in DD in random alone) we have all torpedoed someone. God Ive even torpedoed myself in a DD. (AND I EVEN WENT PINK). We all make mistakes it happens we all have taken risks with a torpedo launch we should not have. You apologize and move on.... If player calls you names you still apologize. most of the time they will forgive you if you apologize.

Know for the bold.. IF you drop Torps in a way you own team can run in to them. The only MUPPET is you. But instead of LACK OR INTELLIGENCE  ill put it down to lack or map awareness.

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

Players
1,224 posts
16,265 battles
12 hours ago, asalonen said:

I feel it's not quite that simple. It's always a risk versus reward thing. Quite often when you're playing close to another friendly DD, it's only reasonable that he checks his surroundings just as I check mine. It's just more efficient, more fluid play that way, and it's not like an accident would kill any real sailors...

Or you might have a hairy situation with a red ship with friendlies behind it. Neither of these situations are a case of anybody overextending or underextending, either. Sometimes you become pink without doing anything terribly wrong, or not at all. Both players should then just shrug it off. 

The question of OP was: is the system fair or not. It is. Even in situations you describe, those torps are your responsibility. Lanching them with a calculated risk of hitting your own, no matter the cause, means you have included the risk of hitting a teammate in your decision. If your teammate does something you did not forsee, however illogical it may seem to you, it means you did not think of that situation or ignored the possibilty in which case it is a lack of understanding behavior of others in your decision making. So you get to wear pink, and well deserved.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
5,279 posts
2,939 battles

My problem is the way i'm instantly to blame for it.

You killed someone.

Yelling "bit officer, he is the one who stepped on the trajectory of my attack" won't change a thing. Willingly or not, you played bad, failed hard, and ruined the game of a player. He has every right to blame you for it and you only have the right to suck it up and apologize anyway.

Teamkillers blaming their victims for being pissed is the most hilarious thing ever. What did you expect ? That they would thank you ?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1