You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MightyMac22

Better Alpha Strike Upgrade for disgruntled FILI Player

64 comments in this topic

[TF57]
Players
26 posts

Hopefully the title says a lot of what needs saying.

I ground out a Fiji for ranked sprints and because I have not really played the cruiser lines much before and thought why not ?

Well the why not is becoming obvious.

15 shells in the air Boom nice chunk of health Repeat until target is on low health then 15 shells in the air....and... ... target gets peppered from all sides by other ships.

So rather than [edited] about it (well not too much just that bit there to explain) Any suggestions for a similar ship that deals more Alpha damage so I could kill things off faster.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Mac 

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles

Fiji gunpower already is top notch, simply requires understanding of limitations of her ammo. And for "alpha damage" you have battleships or torpedo destroyers, assuming you can land them metal fishes consistently on target.

Cruisers are more of constant dpm variety.

That and look up into "damage saturation" mechanic. Its not WoT where you can kill a tank by repeated hits to commander hatch/cupola.

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
2,573 posts
6,330 battles

Wait, are you asking for higher alpha simply in order to yourself get more kills, rather than your team?

In that case, i hope i never get you on my team.

• Cool 4

[TF57]
Players
26 posts

@thiextar

Grow up please.

Its a valid question and yes it would be nice to gain at least some of the points and so XP and so Credits to enable myself to work up the lines.

Its how the game works in case you didn't know ?

I get its a team game I like how the Fiji plays, its just not getting the kills.

So I thought why not ask on the helpful forum.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong

Maybe I will get some (helpful) suggestions

In your case I guess not.

@Panocek

Thanks I will look into the things you suggested.

• Boring 3
  • Bad 3

[LEEUW]
Players
2,353 posts
10,110 battles

The higher the caliber of the guns the higher the alpha damage. Although killing of targets quicker has nothing to do with Alpha damage. If a target angles to your Fiji AP there isn't much you can do because all your shells will bounce. 

So if you want to kill things fast due to high rate of fire and good dpm I'd take the Atlanta. 

• Cool 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,346 posts
25,796 battles
5 minutes ago, MightyMac22 said:

Its a valid question and yes it would be nice to gain at least some of the points and so XP and so Credits to enable myself to work up the lines.

You might also wanna look how xp and credits work in this game. Its not all about kills.

• Cool 5

[CATS]
Players
26,857 posts
14,391 battles
36 minutes ago, MightyMac22 said:

Hopefully the title says a lot of what needs saying.

I ground out a Fiji for ranked sprints and because I have not really played the cruiser lines much before and thought why not ?

Well the why not is becoming obvious.

15 shells in the air Boom nice chunk of health Repeat until target is on low health then 15 shells in the air....and... ... target gets peppered from all sides by other ships.

So rather than [edited] about it (well not too much just that bit there to explain) Any suggestions for a similar ship that deals more Alpha damage so I could kill things off faster.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Mac 

That is how CL work...

But you can play BB and watch other ships take out your target between salvos...

• Cool 3

[-AP-]
Players
2,573 posts
6,330 battles
17 minutes ago, MightyMac22 said:

@thiextar

Grow up please.

Its how the game works in case you didn't know ?

I get its a team game I like how the Fiji plays, its just not getting the kills.

So I thought why not ask on the helpful forum.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong

Maybe I will get some (helpful) suggestions

In your case I guess not.

@Panocek

Thanks I will look into the things you suggested.

Its a team game, play it as such. As long as the enemy is dead, you should be happy, because it means that you have a  larger chance of winning, which will bring everyone on your team more xp and credits.

Also, you should read up how the economy system in this game works, kills are only worth 10% of a targets hp as xp and credits.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,482 battles

Who the actual fúck gives a crap about a kill, beside the fact of the mere proponents death - which is important ofc, ESPECIALLY in ranked.

It might be the fact that I actually played ranked yesterday, but please, exert your unholy kill stealing powers/attempts in THE ENEMY TEAM.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,874 posts
9,001 battles

Because the high RoF, getting kills in Cruisers should be easier than in other classes.

In Fiji ive one of the most avg kills from all my ships.

Players
7,109 posts
245 battles

low shell velocity and werid arc's m8.

its why i also find it hard to secure kills in the georgia half the time, (if only the shells were 830m's instead).

[-TPF-]
Players
3,929 posts
16,182 battles
1 hour ago, MightyMac22 said:

Based on Tier VII stats, if alpha strike is important then the best silver ships are Sinop and Lyon. Fiji is the best silver cruiser by a long way: only bettered by Belfast and Flint, both premiums. You might hope that 8 inch / 203 mm cruisers would be a sweet spot between the CLs and BBs but while they do have better alpha strike capability they tend to be lesser than both - lacking the pew pew pew of CLs with 12/15 gun broadsides or the solid wallop of a BB salvo. Shame, because I really like them...

Players
3,380 posts
14,104 battles

No.

Fiji is one of the strongest cruisers tier for tier in the game. If you feel you need “alpha” striking power. Play a BB. Simple as that.

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,580 posts
6,213 battles

Fiji is possibly the best T7 tech tree cruiser in the game, but if you absolutely must have more alpha damage then I guess the any of the tech tree T7 CAs will do (Myoko, New Orleans, Yorck and whatever the T7 baguette is called).

[TF57]
Players
26 posts

Thank you to those with actual helpful replies.

To all those chiming in with the its a team game song well let me ask you this.

Whats so team eccentric and team spirited about letting someone spend 30 seconds draining the health pool of a ship then taking it out yourself ?

For those wondering why kills matter, well I guess your not taking part in competitions/campaigns etc that require these things for progression.

Panocek

The damage saturation mechanic is something I didn't know about. i'm not a WOT player but the general idea was gotten across.

Now I understand it better it will help me to be a better player.

A good outcome for all concerned. Well on my teams in the future anyway I hope.

• Bad 1

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
8 minutes ago, MightyMac22 said:

Thank you to those with actual helpful replies.

To all those chiming in with the its a team game song well let me ask you this.

Whats so team eccentric and team spirited about letting someone spend 30 seconds draining the health pool of a ship then taking it out yourself ?

For those wondering why kills matter, well I guess your not taking part in competitions/campaigns etc that require these things for progression.

Panocek

The damage saturation mechanic is something I didn't know about. i'm not a WOT player but the general idea was gotten across.

Now I understand it better it will help me to be a better player.

A good outcome for all concerned. Well on my teams in the future anyway I hope.

Game is (roughly) balanced around teamwork, its not exactly WG fault their audience is too speschul to understand that:Smile_smile: Which isn't unique to WoWs, you can point out player idiocy in pretty much any game involving multiplayer.

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
2,573 posts
6,330 battles
16 minutes ago, MightyMac22 said:

One less enemy equals one less set of guns firing at your team.

If The ship in question dies 10-20 seconds faster because your teammate took the kill, then thats somewhere between 2-4 salvos less being shot at your team if its a cruiser, which equates to anywhere between 4000-10000 damage less to your team.

But its more important that you get the kill, than your team taking less damage right?

• Cool 1

Players
8,194 posts
9,087 battles

Myoko. Most destructive alpha among T7 cruisers, given it has 10 203 mm guns. Obviously, dpm is far less than Fiji and the ship plays quite differently, but if you just want alpha, here you go. Overall also a solid ship, though it really is a different playstyle. Other T7 heavy cruisers aren't that terrible either though, with USN bringing better AP bounce angles, so you can use AP more reliably, Yorck bringing German AP, so a pure AP salvo from Yorck is just as destructive as Myoko's and Algerié having reload booster to follow up on its 8 gun salvo far more quickly than any other CA. But I still consider Myoko to be the best overall in terms of per salvo damage, due to great AP alpha (RIP Fiji/Payfast), great HE alpha (RIP DD) and great accuracy.

In case you aren't restricted to T7, Graf Spee and Pensacola at T6, Alaska, Kronshtadt, Stalingrad and Yoshino at T9/10.

1 minute ago, thiextar said:

One less enemy equals one less set of guns firing at your team.

If The ship in question dies 10-20 seconds faster because your teammate took the kill, then thats somewhere between 2-4 salvos less being shot at your team if its a cruiser, which equates to anywhere between 4000-10000 damage less to your team.

But its more important that you get the kill, than your team taking less damage right?

OP makes a valid point though that kills can matter when WG at times put up missions to get kills. For Ranked, it's pointless, for missions though, it can matter.

18 minutes ago, MightyMac22 said:

Players
7,109 posts
245 battles
15 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Myoko. Most destructive alpha among T7 cruisers, given it has 10 203 mm guns. Obviously, dpm is far less than Fiji and the ship plays quite differently, but if you just want alpha, here you go. Overall also a solid ship, though it really is a different playstyle. Other T7 heavy cruisers aren't that terrible either though, with USN bringing better AP bounce angles, so you can use AP more reliably, Yorck bringing German AP, so a pure AP salvo from Yorck is just as destructive as Myoko's and Algerié having reload booster to follow up on its 8 gun salvo far more quickly than any other CA. But I still consider Myoko to be the best overall in terms of per salvo damage, due to great AP alpha (RIP Fiji/Payfast), great HE alpha (RIP DD) and great accuracy.

In case you aren't restricted to T7, Graf Spee and Pensacola at T6, Alaska, Kronshtadt, Stalingrad and Yoshino at T9/10.

OP makes a valid point though that kills can matter when WG at times put up missions to get kills. For Ranked, it's pointless, for missions though, it can matter.

The myoko looks like it has bad turret angles and i saw one guy in chat berrate teh ship almost non stop because it and paper armour.

if i can do well in the algerie and even the charles martel (uptiered as well) will i be fine in miss myoko?

[-AP-]
Players
2,573 posts
6,330 battles
17 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Kinda valid, but then again, fiji has the highest average kills per game of all t7 tech tree cruisers https://wows-numbers.com/ship/4182685648,Fiji/

I dont see the problem here, other than a large amount of greed

Anyways, if he really wants to improve his income in terms of xp, credits and even kills for missions, all he needs to do is play better, not kill-steal more. https://wows-numbers.com/player/500525119,MightyMac22/

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
15 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

In terms of alpha per tier, Myoko is challenged by Helena and then beaten by Pensacola, having the same 10gun salvo of American Piercing at tier 6.

And then you have Wyoming or Gangut with 12gun broadside at tier 4:Smile_smile:

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
3 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

The myoko looks like it has bad turret angles and i saw one guy in chat berrate teh ship almost non stop because it and paper armour.

if i can do well in the algerie and even the charles martel (uptiered as well) will i be fine in miss myoko?

Myoko indeed have crappy gun firing angles, but actual ship is one of the tankiest cruisers at tier 7 - hp, 25mm amidship, 32mm deck with some angling lets you shrug off quite an amount of ordnance.

Double post best post

Players
7,109 posts
245 battles
1 minute ago, thiextar said:

Kinda valid, but then again, fiji has the highest average kills per game of all t7 tech tree cruisers https://wows-numbers.com/ship/4182685648,Fiji/

I dont see the problem here, other than a large amount of greed

Anyways, if he really wants to improve his income in terms of xp, credits and even kills for missions, all he needs to do is play better, not kill-steal more. https://wows-numbers.com/player/500525119,MightyMac22/

Bloody ell wasn't expecting those stats lol.

for both anyways. xD

I mean im shite at BB's generally (mostly due to aim and positioning me thinks.) but i try my best anyways.

Players
8,194 posts
9,087 battles
1 minute ago, CptBarney said:

Guy in chat has no idea. Myoko has the best cruiser armour at T7. Period. Myoko has 25 mm centre section that bounces many same and lower tier BBs and 32 mm deck that bounces all but Musashi. Next best cruiser armour is yorck with 25 mm centre section and 25 mm deck. Then comes Algerie with 22 mm centre section and deck. Then Indianapolis and New Orleans, former having 22 mm centre plating but 16 mm deck and the latter having 19 mm aöll over, except belt, which has a 32 mm section towards the front. Helena, Boise/NdJ, Shchors and Lazo are all overmatchable everywhere except the very belt and the Fiji and Belfast can even be overmatched by 203s on the bow.

As to gun firing angles, wiggle the ship. And yes, you should be able to do decent. IJN cruisers aren't terribly hard to play for a cruiser line.

Just now, Panocek said:

In terms of alpha per tier, Myoko is challenged by Helena and then beaten by Pensacola, having the same 10gun salvo of American Piercing at tier 6.

And then you have Wyoming or Gangut with 12gun broadside at tier 4:Smile_smile:

In practical terms, Helena cannot challenge Myoko overall for me, because Helena's AP is garbage at anything but close range. Pensacola I mentioned.

Wyoming and Gangut are BBs. Also, by that metric, König Albert offers 10 guns, but one tier lower. If you just want absolute numbers, Lyon offers 16 shells at T7.