Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
AwesomeBoat

Chapayev - worth it?

31 comments in this topic

[MAD]
Players
88 posts
722 battles

Hi

I've currently got the Shchors and I have enough xp for the chapayev, but I will not buy until I have at least 14 million credits (chapayev costs me 7 million with clan discount) and until I have finish the ranked sprint.

My question is: Do you think the chapayev is good/worth it?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'd like to know before I throw away 7 million credits.

Thanks

:Smile_honoring:

Players
7,656 posts
9,378 battles

Solid CL, have the range so doesn't feel extraordinarily helpless when uptiered, also 12km radar gives some reach to spot lolibotes.

Basically get Shchors, unify rear turret firing arcs at solid 30 degrees off axis, improve camo to 10.4km or so (assuming full concealment build), but trade 2 knots of top speed while being just as clumsy.

• Cool 3

[MAD]
Players
88 posts
722 battles

Thanks, looks like I will be saving credits to get 14 million, currently at 12 million so won't take long at all.

Beta Tester
84 posts
5,096 battles

If you like the Shchors you will like the Chapaev. The radar adds some utility but you're still VERY fragile.

• Cool 1

[SAVVY]
Players
198 posts
2,945 battles

You also need IFHE to do anything as well, I'm not sure what captain you're using the this skill is a definite must - I'd even take it over CE as your first 4 point skill.

I personally really dislike this ship - much prefer the French cruisers that have better armor and bigger guns, or RN cruisers which have smoke. Chapy hates being uptiered and in my opinion is basically a T8 Nurnberg (citadelled from extraordinary angles, usually the first ship dead, gets blapped by CVs etc etc).

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
515 posts
5,351 battles

Dunno if this still works with the current meta but I once bowtanked 2 german BBs while I got almost no damage except from vocal damage from the two BB captains in question, raging on why they couldn't kill me. I liked the ship more when it could stealthfire with 3 km buffer, but now it's still a solid ship.

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,120 posts
5,033 battles
41 minutes ago, FukushuNL said:

Dunno if this still works with the current meta but I once bowtanked 2 german BBs while I got almost no damage except from vocal damage from the two BB captains in question, raging on why they couldn't kill me. I liked the ship more when it could stealthfire with 3 km buffer, but now it's still a solid ship.

Technically speaking, only KM and US CA’s can bow tank 380mm.

• Cool 1

Players
7,656 posts
9,378 battles
6 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Technically speaking, only KM and US CA’s can bow tank 380mm.

But then, German battleboats aren't shining examples of precision

• Funny 1

[BODEM]
Players
515 posts
5,351 battles

Stuff did plink, plonk, ping on my bow while I was angled towards both of them. Anyways, been bow in and immovile many times with Chap and alwyas felt quite safe. 

[BOA2Y]
Beta Tester
4,708 posts
20,708 battles

If you are good at using radar, it is the best radar ship in the game. 

[ORCA]
Beta Tester
186 posts
6,974 battles

Yes, your radar range is higher than your concealment, it makes the ship very strong for surprising and hunting dds.

Just keep in mind that it's made in paper and very unforgiving if broadsiding, if you can deal with this it's an excellent ship.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,849 posts
3,634 battles
11 hours ago, AwesomeBoat said:

My question is: Do you think the chapayev is good/worth it?

In a word, yes, emphatically. Getting along with her better than I got with the Shchors.

[MORIA]
Players
563 posts
7,618 battles
33 minutes ago, Golthor said:

Yes, your radar range is higher than your concealment, it makes the ship very strong for surprising and hunting dds.

Just keep in mind that it's made in paper and very unforgiving if broadsiding, if you can deal with this it's an excellent ship.

Yes but its easy to use the radar wrong though. Often i spot a chapayev, turn around, wait til he radars, and run out of radar range. He have already fired at me and is lit and get blapped by my team. Just keep that in mind, no reason to press radar the second you are spotted

Players
7,656 posts
9,378 battles
21 minutes ago, WarburtonLee said:

Yes but its easy to use the radar wrong though. Often i spot a chapayev, turn around, wait til he radars, and run out of radar range. He have already fired at me and is lit and get blapped by my team. Just keep that in mind, no reason to press radar the second you are spotted

Considering there is 1.5km range difference between Chapa detection and her radar range, turning around and extracting yourself outside of radar range might take longer than radar actually last

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
563 posts
7,618 battles
2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Considering there is 1.5km range difference between Chapa detection and her radar range, turning around and extracting yourself outside of radar range might take longer than radar actually last

Radar doesnt last longer than his ship :)

• Funny 2

Players
7,656 posts
9,378 battles
Just now, WarburtonLee said:

Radar doesnt last longer than his ship :)

Island cover works just fine:cap_hmm:

[MORIA]
Players
563 posts
7,618 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

Island cover works just fine:cap_hmm:

Yes, but then it cant shoot me so...

Players
1,217 posts
16,239 battles

I liked her alot, but when I unlocked her things were very different. She was the best radar dd killing machine out there, but she's been powercrept a lot I imagine. I still have her, I only keep ships I had a lot of fun in. Glass cannon though, requiers a very aware playstyle. My favorite russian cruiser!

• Cool 1

[TEC]
Beta Tester
175 posts

Make those Russian low angle hard hitting shells sing non-stop and you'll have good times in the Chappy.

It is an excellent flanker/harasser - if you can make the guns work. 

Players
4,232 posts
245 battles

THe most frustrating ship i have faced in my georgia or jean bart (roon is just as bad for me)

Players
7,656 posts
9,378 battles
2 minutes ago, WarburtonLee said:

Yes, but then it cant shoot me so...

There is always risk of someone else aligning the stars being awake, having guns loaded and facing general direction:Smile_smile:

That and RU 152mm aren't as railgun as people claim them to be, they just match US/IJN 203mm in ballistics. And they can lob shells over islands just fine

• Funny 1

[SWTP]
Players
1,102 posts
9,326 battles
5 minutes ago, Panocek said:

There is always risk of someone else aligning the stars being awake, having guns loaded and facing general direction:Smile_smile:

That and RU 152mm aren't as railgun as people claim them to be, they just match US/IJN 203mm in ballistics. And they can lob shells over islands just fine

Are they? And how can be us and ijn 203 equal? With chapa or zao i can hit dds 12km easy, with us des I'm struggling at 10km sometimes. The speed and drag are different. Aren't they? 

[TEC]
Beta Tester
175 posts

The Russian shells are faster than their US/Japanese ditto. You will get more hits for sure. But you need a 14 pt commander at minimum to really make those hits turn into damage (IFHE).

Sign in to follow this