Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

Radar ranges

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
2,109 posts
15,301 battles

And now for something completely different:

 

Didn't WG say at some point they had unified the radar ranges?

 

Because I just took out my Missouri again after a short eternity and couldn't help noticing it was at 9.5 instead of 10km as I had been assuming all this time.

 

Looking them up in the Wiki, the ranges are once again all over the place. American ships can have 8.5, 9, 9.5 or an even 10 km and it seems hard to make out memorable patterns.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
2,187 posts
13,994 battles

It's more unified than before, but it depends on nation and class. 

I'll try to sum it up:

 

USofA:

CL: 9 km

Monteplier is CL

CA: 10km

Alaska and Indi are CA

Atlanta, Salem hand Wichita offer other unique "things" and as such have a reduced radar range to offer a different gameplay style

Missouri is BB and as such is given a different value

Black is a DD and as such is given a different value

 

Glorious motherland:

12 km cause best nation deserves longest radar range :p

 

The soon to be ex EU country?:

10 km for normal ships

Payfast has other unique traits and as such has reduced range 

 

Them easterners:

All have same range

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,651 posts
9,377 battles

At some point Miss had radar range "unified" to 10km, only to rolled back to her 9.5km in next patch or hotfix.

 

And for USN radars:

CA - 10km

CL - 9km

Atlanta/Salem - 8.5km

Miss - 9.5km

 

Which is extra hilarious, because WG nerfed USN CL as rapid firing light cruiser with better camo than radar is bad for balans... unless we're talking about Russian/UK CL or rapid firing CA:cap_book:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
3,631 posts
12,388 battles
34 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

It's more unified than before, but it depends on nation and class. 

I'll try to sum it up:

 

USofA:

CL: 9 km

Monteplier is CL

CA: 10km

Alaska and Indi are CA

Atlanta, Salem hand Wichita offer other unique "things" and as such have a reduced radar range to offer a different gameplay style

Missouri is BB and as such is given a different value

Black is a DD and as such is given a different value

 

Glorious motherland:

12 km cause best nation deserves longest radar range :p

 

The soon to be ex EU country?:

10 km for normal ships

Payfast has other unique traits and as such has reduced range 

 

Them easterners:

All have same range

 

 

Atlanta has 9km? :cap_hmm: that's odd .. mine only has 8.5-ish .. I must pay more? :cap_money:

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
3,631 posts
12,388 battles
7 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Nope, sorry. Wichita CA is 9km.

Whichever way you look at it, "unified" is something else entirely.

 

True but this non-unification ain't that bad imo ... less unification = more skill / knowledge required

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
2,187 posts
13,994 battles
6 hours ago, lup3s said:

 

Atlanta has 9km? :cap_hmm: that's odd .. mine only has 8.5-ish .. I must pay more? :cap_money:

 

6 hours ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Nope, sorry. Wichita CA is 9km.

Whichever way you look at it, "unified" is something else entirely.

My layout may have been a bit poor.

I should probably have posted it like this:

 

USofA:

CL: 9 km

Monteplier is CL

 

CA: 10km

Alaska and Indi are CA

 

Atlanta, Salem hand Wichita offer other unique "things" and as such have a reduced radar range to offer a different gameplay style

 

Missouri is BB and as such is given a different value

 

Black is a DD and as such is given a different value

 

Glorious motherland:

12 km cause best nation deserves longest radar range :p

 

The soon to be ex EU country?:

10 km for normal ships

 

Payfast has other unique traits and as such has reduced range 

 

Them easterners:

All have same range

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles
On 7/3/2019 at 11:21 PM, Panocek said:

unless we're talking about Russian/UK CL or rapid firing CA:cap_book:

Because Chapayev and radar Edinburgh/Neptune/Minotaur are OP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,651 posts
9,377 battles
6 hours ago, B0Tato said:

Because Chapayev and radar Edinburgh/Neptune/Minotaur are OP?

And Cleveland is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PNAVY]
[PNAVY]
Beta Tester
401 posts
7,682 battles
26 minutes ago, Panocek said:

And Cleveland is?

Cleveland has one thing the others don't: the real possibility to survive beeing shot at... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,651 posts
9,377 battles
22 minutes ago, Namuras said:

Cleveland has one thing the others don't: the real possibility to survive beeing shot at... 

Not quite. 25mm plating eats BB AP and HE as usual, no smoke/heal of Edin nor range and ballistics of Chapa. So when cap shenanigans go awry, you better have good escape route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,475 posts
10,124 battles
On 7/3/2019 at 11:07 PM, lup3s said:

 

True but this non-unification ain't that bad imo ... less unification = more skill / knowledge required

As a DD main I have to know the radar ranges of my enemy.

 

I always assume USA 10km max.. Russian 12km max..UK 10km.... I then work out each ship from memory staying out range until I do...

 

Wouldn't it be boring if every ship had the same radar range?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
1,918 posts
21,135 battles

It is unified but not on single value. Range wise not by duration

 

All US regular CLs have 9km radar

All US regular CAs have 10km radar

All Soviet regular CL/CA have 12km radar

All UK regular CL have 10km radar

All PA regular DDs have 7.5km radar

 

So all regular radars are now unified. Premium ships are completely different story. Sometimes they are using same logic as regular but sometimes this is changed for balancing reasons.

 

All premium Soviet CAs has same radar as regular ships - 12km range

Alaska has same radar as regular US CAs - 10km

Montpelier has same radar as regular US CLs - 9km

Black has same radar range as PA DDs - 7.5km

Belfast and Atlanta both have T7 radar which has range of 8.5km

 

Exceptions (for balance reasons):

Wichita has 9km radar, probably to prevent stealth radaring as there was lot complains from CCs about that

Missouri always had 9.5km radar (former standard US T9 radar) and as she is consider strong enough her radar was not buffed.

Indy radar was originally 8,5km but in the process of buffing she got standard US T10 radar of 9.9km. After radar changes this is buffed to 10km same as all regular US CAs

Salem got T7 radar of 8.5km as compensation for getting a superheal to keep some sort of balance between her and DM

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
3,631 posts
12,388 battles
1 hour ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

As a DD main I have to know the radar ranges of my enemy.

 

I always assume USA 10km max.. Russian 12km max..UK 10km.... I then work out each ship from memory staying out range until I do...

 

Wouldn't it be boring if every ship had the same radar range?

 

Which was my point as well ... :cap_hmm:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,475 posts
10,124 battles
3 minutes ago, lup3s said:

 

Which was my point as well ... :cap_hmm:

And I wrote in complete agreement after reading your post..

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
3,631 posts
12,388 battles
48 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

And I wrote in complete agreement after reading your post..

 

Ah didn't catch that - my mistake :Smile_honoring:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,708 posts
On 7/4/2019 at 12:59 AM, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Nope, sorry. Wichita CA is 9km.

Whichever way you look at it, "unified" is something else entirely.

 

It's like 'eunified'...:Smile_sceptic:

 

I'm not happy with their radar as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PNAVY]
[PNAVY]
Beta Tester
401 posts
7,682 battles
8 hours ago, Panocek said:

Not quite. 25mm plating eats BB AP and HE as usual, no smoke/heal of Edin nor range and ballistics of Chapa. So when cap shenanigans go awry, you better have good escape route.

It still does tho courtsey of not haveing a citadel larger than the ship itself. That is from playing both and sinking both. Sure, both prefer not beeing shot at in the first place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,475 posts
10,124 battles
1 hour ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

Radar range was unified. Now, we have as many different ranges as we had before. Don't question russian logic.

It is so you have to use your brain and remember the ranges of radar of each of the radar equipped enemy ships you face... Hardly rocket science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
484 posts
3 minutes ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

It is so you have to use your brain and remember the ranges of radar of each of the radar equipped enemy ships you face... Hardly rocket science.

Except the unification of the radar ranges were meant to make it easier for the casual player, so he DOESN'T have to remember so many numbers. WG wants to make the game easier or why do you think, the consumables on CVs are automated? To use your brain more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,475 posts
10,124 battles
Just now, _DemonGuard_ said:

Except the unification of the radar ranges were meant to make it easier for the casual player, so he DOESN'T have to remember so many numbers. WG wants to make the game easier or why do you think, the consumables on CVs are automated? To use your brain more?

I don't play CV so cannot make a comment...and I wasn't offering any insult to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×