Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MKG

Opinion: Ranked battles sux

7 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
3 posts
1,648 battles

First: maybe I'm not "pro" prayer, but it was not  my goal. I play for fun - sometimes with good results.A this moment I have 1519 battles (plus 1000+ in beta) with 55,63% w/l ratio and most battles with ships on tiers 4-6.

I never went to clan, as I do not have enought time and will to grind to T10 ships.

Generally I do not like that most of such events are focus on higher tiers. IHMO this game is the best on low and mid-tiers, so I stick to random battles.  I do not like high tier battles - they are IHMO boring as hell.

But this time I tried Ranked battles and I'm completly disguised.

1. Why the hell so few ships are placed on such big maps? It cause half battle resolved before the first ships are spotted.

2. I have only cruisers on T7 (New Orleans and Atlanta) and all teams are encountered got 3-4 BBs. Charming. It makes you little more than easy frag.

3. With no possibility of hunting alone for DDs (it's lottery as when you are spotted all in range BBs targets you - especially if you look at point 1).

4. There is no carriers (T7!) so you AA capabilities are no needed at all.

In short in ranked battles I felt nearly unnesserary part of the team, being able little more than providing some firepower support.

My suggestion is as follow: make it on small map and on T4 or T5.

Maybe no-life player with thousands battles, focused on statistics and ambition to grind to top tiers is more porfitable, but low and mid tier casual players are also part of the community and spend cash (I buy a little dubloons from time to time - not because I badly need something in game, but I want to support the company which make the game I spend a good time).

Players
1,387 posts

Hey MKG, sorry to hear that you dislike the ranked battles. Maybe these tips/tricks/whatever will help you have a better time next time you try them.

2 minutes ago, MKG said:

1. Why the hell so few ships are placed on such big maps? It cause half battle resolved before the first ships are spotted.

Isnt this the same with random battles? I dont really feel it takes longer to scout the enemies in ranked. Some maps that are in rotation for ranked are even tier 5 and lower maps....

4 minutes ago, MKG said:

2. I have only cruisers on T7 (New Orleans and Atlanta) and all teams are encountered got 3-4 BBs. Charming. It makes you little more than easy frag.

Jup. It seems, just like in the T10 ranked season, that bbs are the main ship of choice. With only NO and Atlanta at your disposal my only advice is to use islands to your advantage. Try to stay concealed as much as possible and if you do get spotted, try to figure out from where and who is able to shoot you. When you can manage this you can hit all those pesky BBs without taking to much damage yourself. Both ships have the floaty american HE shells that make island hugging an excellent tactic for both of these ships.

6 minutes ago, MKG said:

3. With no possibility of hunting alone for DDs (it's lottery as when you are spotted all in range BBs targets you - especially if you look at point 1).

Stay with your own dds and support them as much as possible while staying relatively safe. Dont go dd hunting alone because that is a game that only the dd will win.

Try to communicate with your dd at the start of the match about your intentions.

7 minutes ago, MKG said:

4. There is no carriers (T7!) so you AA capabilities are no needed at all. 

Nope, it can be a blessing tho. You will not get spotted by planes so if youre spotted you atleast know that a ship is close.

The availability of division play makes this a unique form of ranked. If you have some friends who also play the game: Div up with them in ranked! It makes it way easier since you can use voice comms, but most of all it is simply more fun to play together with others.

o7

• Cool 2

Players
238 posts
3,481 battles

don't worry much worse is comming rofl #Naval Training Station

you are going to be looking back at these times, as ballanced fun game play! LOL

[BLAST]
Players
65 posts
8,058 battles

Tier 5 & Tier 6 ranked sprints also ended up as mostly BB & DD games. Taking a cruiser into the match meant usually a very quick return to port. I guess no lessons were learnt by WG from that so again no limits to numbers of BBs. 

I was hoping to use NO as I really like playing it in ransoms, but I guess the only somewhat viable cruisers will be Fiji and Belfast as they have smoke...

[-AP-]
Players
1,869 posts
4,633 battles

If you are a casual player, you will get completely screwed by wargamings plans with the prestige system. Id suggest saving your money until we see what they do, you dont wanna spend a penny more on the game if you will indeed be forced to leave it in 2 months

• Cool 1

Players
523 posts
1,885 battles

Lazo is a good ship, sluggish but good. With Superintendent and premium consumable you get six spotter planes recycling with a 15 second cooldown that extends your range to 20.7km so if you are well positioned there is no reason not to farm long range IFHE damage the whole battle by carefully picking your use of the spotter. Well at least until the battle generally all goes tits up.

What is noticeable from the tier X ranked battles we've just had is in the abuse in chat among the teams, players refusing to play as a team saying it's 'lemming', and the general poor play. I'd rather not get 'High Calibre' and win rather than lose, but it's happened twice tonight.

Beta Tester
3 posts
1,648 battles

The game should be balanced and fun for all players, so the situation when event in fact is interesting for players owning BB and DDs (and maybe selected premium cruisers) is definitely odd.

The same situation is with clan battles - it could be be interesting for me, but grinding months (I have time to play 1-2 battles per day) to T10 in high-tier battles I don't like is not cool at all.

9 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Isnt this the same with random battles? I dont really feel it takes longer to scout the enemies in ranked. Some maps that are in rotation for ranked are even tier 5 and lower maps....

Yes, but there are designed for 12vs12 battles.

9 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Jup. It seems, just like in the T10 ranked season, that bbs are the main ship of choice. With only NO and Atlanta at your disposal my only advice is to use islands to your advantage. Try to stay concealed as much as possible and if you do get spotted, try to figure out from where and who is able to shoot you. When you can manage this you can hit all those pesky BBs without taking to much damage yourself. Both ships have the floaty american HE shells that make island hugging an excellent tactic for both of these ships.

I know how to play US cruisers, it's my line of choice. But still you are in huge disadvantage. And shooting over islands is good tactic if the BB player is dumb enought to sit behind it instead of moving forward and smash you by one or two salvoes. It's the wider problem - dominance of BBs on high tiers. They become as fast as cruseirs, got really accurate guns with nice ballistic, they are much more durable, got similar AA (but carriers are so far are unplayable in 0.8.5+ anyway), harder to get fire. The only advantages of crusers are good consumables and sometimes torpedoes (but they are rather useful in ambushes, as BB normally shoot you into the pieces before you even get into the range).

10 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

The availability of division play makes this a unique form of ranked. If you have some friends who also play the game: Div up with them in ranked! It makes it way easier since you can use voice comms, but most of all it is simply more fun to play together with others.

Cool idea. I will be useless, but in good company! :P

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this