You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Padds01

New Player experience.

20 comments in this topic

[-LA-]
Players
686 posts
5,152 battles

well im not sure if you just dont think about it or are actively trying to discourage people from picking this game up , but its deeply unpleasant out there!

tier 1 is great fun , then its a steady steep downhill plunge into a heartless meatgrinder. 

tier 2-4 say hello to the seal clubbers

get to 5 and meet the savage joy of -2 tier MM , now i know the mantra its not wot you can hurt ships 2 tiers higher! yeah but if you dont know all the danger spots on the map from having played for 4+ years your first clue your in danger is your ship turning into a fine mist and jumping out of the water.

now im not saying people shouldnt be allowed to play whatever tier they want but why is my second game some other guys 10,000th? surely some account of experince could be factored in? even if it is to just keep the noobs together for 50-100 games or something.

and that matchmaker... damn , i guess it made sense when the game was new , but the distribution pyramid is now clearly upside down , its just a never ending stream of getting farmed buy much more experienced players in much better ships . 

i know i know git gud and all that but seriosly what is your new player retention like? is it even double digits?

• Cool 9

[-TPF-]
Players
4,212 posts
17,562 battles

There is protection for newer players, you will play a certain number of games before you're allowed to play against more experienced opposition and the MM will keep you away from nasty Tier VIs if you stay at Tier IV and below. 

Seal clubbing is inevitable while WG keep to the whole Tier progression system and fails to provide Ops and events for lower Tier ships so that more experienced players can have a laugh without it being at the expense of newbies. 

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
28,059 posts
14,868 battles
  • you have protected MM
  • the reward system makes seal clubbing rarer than in the past
  • new players are free to stay at Tier IV or lower until they feel ready, then the gloves are off

Players
1,745 posts
9,204 battles
15 minutes ago, Padds01 said:

well im not sure if you just dont think about it or are actively trying to discourage people from picking this game up , but its deeply unpleasant out there!

tier 1 is great fun , then its a steady steep downhill plunge into a heartless meatgrinder. 

get to 5 and meet the savage joy of -2 tier MM , now i know the mantra its not wot you can hurt ships 2 tiers higher! yeah but if you dont know all the danger spots on the map from having played for 4+ years your first clue your in danger is your ship turning into a fine mist and jumping out of the water.

now im not saying people shouldnt be allowed to play whatever tier they want but why is my second game some other guys 10,000th? surely some account of experince could be factored in? even if it is to just keep the noobs together for 50-100 games or something.

and that matchmaker... damn , i guess it made sense when the game was new , but the distribution pyramid is now clearly upside down , its just a never ending stream of getting farmed buy much more experienced players in much better ships . 

i know i know git gud and all that but seriosly what is your new player retention like? is it even double digits?

Have you read any guides or watched any videos?

Play co-op for a while to get the hang of the game with your chosen ships before entering the random battles arena, I would say is your best bet.

100 Battles will not teach you everything! The game is quite complicated as click-and-shoot is not enough, you need tactics as well. Learn about the mini-map, use it to your advantage. See where problems are occurring and re focus your efforts where you are needed, dont over extend your ship either by being too aggressive. Your team don't need 3min heroes. Strip back your play style and you will see where you are going wrong.

What ships are you playing btw?

Players
1,936 posts
13,542 battles

There is also Coop for the easier experience and... well, the fact that you only have 117 battles. Nothing every new player has not experienced.

You are also probably overstating the skill of the playerbase at lower tiers (occasional sealclubber notwithstanding) and ships are the same for everybody (odd not fully researched ship aside that will as likely be in the red team as in yours) 

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,870 posts
9,434 battles

The amount of seal-clubbers is over estimated in my experience. The few times I jump into low tiers to play a ship I've almost forgotten I had, I very seldom face someone I can tell is an experienced player.

Even then I don't think that experienced players at low tiers is a big issue. There is almost no room to play cheesy especially at low tiers where the maps are small and simple. So the things experienced players will do better is aiming, dodging/angling and playing the objectives. Nothing you can't overcome or need any secret knowledge to pull off yourself.

Additionally having good players around during the learning process gives you players to emulate.

[DAVY]
Players
2,992 posts
14,544 battles

you would be correct in what you say, IF you had stayed at the lower tiers learning the game, BUT you bought an Indianapolis, a Graf Spee, a Texas and a Huanghe (ok you might have got on or two from a new player code, but not all of them) you only get protected MM for the first few tiers, stay there and learn the game...

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,350 posts
26,186 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

new players are free to stay at Tier IV or lower until they feel ready, then the gloves are off

But this game is all about grind, cant blame new players wanting new toys asap and they get them pretty fast.

[LO1]
Alpha Tester
1,481 posts
6,083 battles
1 hour ago, Padds01 said:

its no better at tier 8 9 10.... you get the players that still only have skill set from tier 1... and have done every thing possible not to learn a dam thing.  learn the ships learn the maps learn it all... even ships you dont have... if you have knowledge, let say of a spotted DD and know your in Torp Range you can set up to avoid the worst of it. if your spotted but cant see any enemy... torps are on the way.  learn Citidel points and how to guard your own ones. learn attack drops of types of aircraft and the CVs they come from.    Soo much knowledge that if you can retain it, you will have good times at the top of your team.

Stick with the game its a great game, just can be frustrating when you get a team of utter brain dead morons that calling them potatoes is a complement.

[-LA-]
Players
686 posts
5,152 battles
1 minute ago, Salentine said:

you would be correct in what you say, IF you had stayed at the lower tiers learning the game, BUT you bought an Indianapolis, a Graf Spee, a Texas and a Huanghe (ok you might have got on or two from a new player code, but not all of them) you only get protected MM for the first few tiers, stay there and learn the game...

steam sale ;)  taken indi and graf out once each and decided right there that was far too deep an end to jump into! 

ive been playing mostly t4-6 British CV's which i gather is not a good idea right now . got a 3 and 4 cruiser im enjoying to. 

and as others have poitned out co-op , you actually have to play that to start with , but the thing is they give you a ew days of premium and its very clear that co-op offers no rewards so they kind of push you into randoms. 

I may be wrong about all points, doesnt make any difference to the experience ive had and there is no reason anyone else starting is experiencing anything better. maybe its not a problem i dunno , wg have the metrics it just seems like a bad idea to have the new player experince be this harsh.

[L123]
Players
94 posts
21,157 battles
1 hour ago, Padds01 said:

My best recomendation is:

reach tier IV and build a commander for the line that you are in until commander has reach the threshold of 10 point with Concealment Expert (where is requested by the line there are some tech line that are not so much needed.)

[MAD]
Players
88 posts
758 battles

As a kinda new player I've never really had any problem with seal clubbers. Although I play mostly t6 as I go through new tech trees. My only advice is to stay away from very good low tier ships when you're in battle against them. These ships are mostly tier iv imperator Nikolai and also Guilio cesare.

:Smile_honoring: 

[CATS]
Players
28,059 posts
14,868 battles
52 minutes ago, Profilus said:

But this game is all about grind, cant blame new players wanting new toys asap and they get them pretty fast.

No. It is not.

It is about having fun.

If you do not have fun at Tier IV and below, you should stop playing.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,212 posts
17,562 battles

Texas is a decent first buy, though. The OP should watch some videos about BB play and Persist with that ship. Slow but hard hitting. 

[-AP-]
Players
2,681 posts
6,497 battles

Its ironic that this thread was created just before this crap was announced:

https://medium.com/@devblogwows/naval-training-center-6ae94ee5b34a

Good luck with the new player experience now.

Holy hell i never thought that wargaming was this incompetent, and that says something.

• Funny 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,350 posts
26,186 battles
15 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

No. It is not.

It is about having fun.

If you do not have fun at Tier IV and below, you should stop playing.

U reach V before u know 4 sure if its fun 4 u.

[CATS]
Players
28,059 posts
14,868 battles
23 minutes ago, Profilus said:

U reach V before u know 4 sure if its fun 4 u.

If you do not have fun, I doubt you will play more than 10 battles.

Players
606 posts
1,909 battles

A quick guide for new players from a new player:

The minimap is your friend, it will show you when you're about to run into the entire red team. ( a bad thing, you turn into a submarine)

Learn what each of your ships can do well. (fast reload, fast turret rotation, etc)

If getting your posterior handed to you on a regular basis in randoms, go back to co-op or drop a tier (or even 2).

Random battles have more ordinary players at weekends. so co-op during the week and randoms at weekends will give you the best chance of avoiding an experienced player who can sink you from anywhere on the map.

Have fun, if the fun stops then drop back to level 3 or 4 and have fun....

Above all, do not sail in a straight line giving full broadside to anything!

I still regularly end up spectating for a lot of each match but I'm enjoying the learning experience. And occasionally I'm still afloat at the end.:cap_cool:

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,799 posts
6,802 battles
3 hours ago, Padds01 said:

...[snip]...

Welcome to the forums - a good place to learn and be guided, with the odd curve ball thrown in as well, no doubt, but those are usually corrected by more knowledgable forumites.

The advantage of WoWs, especially over Wot is that the grind is not really a grind (nothing like it), you will progress rapidly, perhaps too rapidly for the capability of some who reach the higher tiers.

Take it easy, there is no rush, no end game per se, the competitive modes are generally spread over the tiers (6+), we even had a 5 :)

Don't forget to take your commanders up the tiers with you - use the silver conversion (if you do not intend to use gold), you will eventually get elite commander xp which you can use to shortcut the conversion period.

Try not to go past 6 until you settle into the game (ideally 4 to learn about the maps, minimap and the types of ships and am idea of how to play them :) )

Plus, enjoy the game and hope that you make some decent companions once you get into a clan environment :)

Players
2,669 posts
21,581 battles

I agree that new player protection is on the whole completely inadequate. There is a lot more that could very easily be done and it has been suggested often enough.

WG just didn't take much of it to heart for some reason, probably because they don't see it as a problem and think all is well, like with so many other problems and user warnings they have been ignoring until it was too late. The recent Developer's Q&A at the community contributors' summit in St Petersburg showed a certain amount of evidence for that mindset.

Currently there is of course the added complication of the carrier rework they have been trying to get right for about half a year without much progress, after developing it for neigh on two years before release. It probably means a lot of other stuff is just shoved onto the back burner.

Edit: In fact it seems to be even a lot worse and they're about to exacerbate the whole problem by several orders of magnitude. Because they are apparently more worried about retaining long-time players than new players.

It would seem some key people at WG are innately unable to draw the right conclusion out of the shrinking the player base went through these past six months.