natswright

Venting a bit of randoms Steam!!

35 comments in this topic

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,663 battles

Hey folks,

Of late, i've struggled with win rate. I can perform well in game, finish in the top half of the team or even top. I try to make sure I play for the team, spotting as a DD or CV, hunting DD's as a cruiser or providing heavy fire support as a BB. I had one game where we had 5 vs 1 ship, but lost despite me being vocal in game chat telling our DD's to stop farming damage and go and cap. We lost, it was a parody! I've held up a whole flank of attacking ships as 1 DD, just flooding it with torps, and spotting constantly, only for the other flank, with most of our ships on it, to melt away! I dont know if its me, or the match making, but I always end up on the loosing team. My damage output, experience and the like is improving all the time. But my win rate is terrible.

I cant wait for ranked sprint actually, I played ranked and my win rate on that is over 50%, the teams actually play as a team. For instance in Randoms, you can have a player that finishes top, they should be the best player? But if they simply farm damage from whatever target they see, they are not focusing down the enemy ships that are an immediate threat. I've had games where i've had to leg it from one end of the map to the other then back again to stop an enemy capping the base.

Now I have to take my fair share of the blame in some losses. I had a great game in my T61, caused a tone of damage, then fired at a low health DD, got spotted and a lucky hit on me detonated my magazine! I should have stayed stealth! I'm an average player, so not really going to carry a game much, but I'd have thought the laws of averages would give me a 50% win rate at least! I'll not even go into the crazy up tearing I get in my Kaga, although CV play win rate for me is around 52%, thats ok!

I'd just like to get a feel for what peoples feelings are on randoms of late, whats the match making like, have you seen your win rate plummet? Stats in some sense shouldn't be to important, but people use them to judge a player and my say, ok, that player has a poor win rate, i'll not be able to rely on them for support, yet offering support might make the different!

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
357 posts
4,383 battles

I'm looking at your profile and I can see an awful lot of premium ships. This, I believe, is your problem. In most cases premium ships are no more "OP" than an ordinary tech tree ship and in some cases (Leander for example) is better than it's premium counterpart (the Perth).

Working through a tech tree properly helps you to grow accustomed to how a line of ships play, as the playstyle will only change slightly during your progression to tier 10. You won't be able to build up the required skills if you just buy a premium or free exp your way to T10!

For example, you have played 9 battles in the Kongo yet only have an average damage of 8,900 (ouch!) yet I see no battles in the preceding ships - you have to take the time to play the preceding ships in order to achieve the right skill level to play the next boat properly!

In short, you (I hate to be harsh here) are probably the the reason your winrate is down. What I advise you do is go back to the basics, play your lower tier ships a bit more (maybe not the Svietlana as you seem to love that!) and get their playstyle worked out, find their strengths and weaknesses before you move on.

Like, I look at your Scharnhorst stats (15% W/R from 20 battles with an average damage of 38,000) and my point is proven as I cannot see any other games that you've played in KN battleships. You NEED this experience in these ships!

At lower tiers (T7 and down) you can get to the point (in terms of skill and experience) where you can carry your team regardless of how bad they are.

• Cool 3

Supertester
317 posts
8,062 battles

I can only say that Drasnighta actually says everything right that is wrong with your stats.

Serisouly gettint into the game and havein not even 20k avg damage is not good. If you are struggling with a certain ship. Then first i would say try to do some test runs in coop etc... and get a feeling for the ships and then try random matches where you can test out your waters.

IF necessary there are plenty of people probably in your clan that can help you to get better. If not then try to find some other people to take you out for a spin and give you some tips how to play correctly since the will be able to see directly what you do. 

What else you could do is, sounds pretty stupid but watch certain yt videos of how people play when the do those massive amounts of dmg. You can learn from them for example the positioning and also what the shout etc..... So i would highly recommend you getting over those things first and then maybe try again.

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,663 battles
4 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

I'm looking at your profile and I can see an awful lot of premium ships. This, I believe, is your problem. In most cases premium ships are no more "OP" than an ordinary tech tree ship and in some cases (Leander for example) is better than it's premium counterpart (the Perth).

Working through a tech tree properly helps you to grow accustomed to how a line of ships play, as the playstyle will only change slightly during your progression to tier 10. You won't be able to build up the required skills if you just buy a premium or free exp your way to T10!

For example, you have played 9 battles in the Kongo yet only have an average damage of 8,900 (ouch!) yet I see no battles in the preceding ships - you have to take the time to play the preceding ships in order to achieve the right skill level to play the next boat properly!

In short, you (I hate to be harsh here) are probably the the reasons your winrate is down. What I advise you do is go back to the basics, play your lower tier ships a bit more (maybe not the Svietlana as you seem to love that!) and get their playstyle worked out, find their strengths and weaknesses before you move on.

Like, I look at your Scharnhorst stats (15% W/R from 20 battles with an average damage of 38,000) and my point is proven as I cannot see any other games that you've played in KN battleships. You NEED this experience in these ships!

At lower tiers (T7 and down) you can get to the point (in terms of skill and experience) where you can carry your team regardless of how bad they are.

Absolutely makes sense, and I do love the Svielana, such a fun ship! more recently I have been going back to basics with the American Cruiser line and am enjoying the Dallas, its a great ship and i've learned a lot from it. Yeah, my Scharnhorst win rate is terrible, yet i'm often the last player on the team in that ship. I guess with that extra bit of skill I could make a difference? I do find I learn more from ranked play though..

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,663 battles
3 hours ago, DragonstrikerOrigin said:

I can only say that Drasnighta actually says everything right that is wrong with your stats.

Serisouly gettint into the game and havein not even 20k avg damage is not good. If you are struggling with a certain ship. Then first i would say try to do some test runs in coop etc... and get a feeling for the ships and then try random matches where you can test out your waters.

IF necessary there are plenty of people probably in your clan that can help you to get better. If not then try to find some other people to take you out for a spin and give you some tips how to play correctly since the will be able to see directly what you do. 

What else you could do is, sounds pretty stupid but watch certain yt videos of how people play when the do those massive amounts of dmg. You can learn from them for example the positioning and also what the shout etc..... So i would highly recommend you getting over those things first and then maybe try again.

I think my average damage is around 24k now, its rising, but is pulled down my my earlier stats. I do watch lots of videos on youtube too! Guess I still have much to learn!

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,663 battles

Oh, and on the Kongo front, I unlocked that ship, strugged with the dispersion and went to the russian when I unlocked the IzMail in a crate. In fact those are my best BB's I think. I my look at the Japanese BB's again though, now I have more practice!

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
16 minutes ago, natswright said:

Yeah, my Scharnhorst win rate is terrible, yet i'm often the last player on the team in that ship. I guess with that extra bit of skill I could make a difference? I do find I learn more from ranked play though..

Being the last player on the team can be bad as well as good.

If it comes from hanging back, not taking part in the battle, and letting your team die, then it is bad. It can also make you think you are doing statistically better than you actually are because the last player often farms a bit extra damage and is valueless considering you lost anyway. 

If I were in your place I'd keep the DD's in port. A lot of players chose them because they imagine the lowest tier is the least important, cheap and cheerful, and nobody notices if they don't last long. But in truth DD's should define the battle and set up the team for success, they have to have acute awareness of the map and the objectives for the team in the battle.

Instead try sitting a little further back and play cruisers more, play as support for the whole team, make your minimap very big and look at it often. Map awareness is as important as any other skill in the game and often if your win rate isn't good it's because you aren't responding to what the map is telling you.

Players
1,052 posts
15,102 battles

Ok, so this is what everybody is seeing:

https://wows-numbers.com/player/529256617,natswright/

It's very difficult to reconcile what those numbers represent with what you are saying, and I think the only way for you to objectively reflect on your experience and to have a third-party offer you constructive criticism is to look at your replays.

Maybe upload your most recent game here to the forum, or in this thread?

You've had some good games, particularly in Japanese DDs, but your average game is sub-par. 

Something else that is noteworthy is that you bought Georgia and jumped straight into Random battles with it. You haven't done any battles in co-op to test its handling, its gunnery, and its vulnerabilities. Early tier battles are quite forgiving, but as you go higher it is essential to have all the ship Upgrades (and I don't mean the modules), Premium consumables (at least Damage Control), and maybe some flags. Also if you don't have a Captain with many skill points it's also going to tell against you. Fortunately all of these issues are fixable, maybe just slow down a bit?

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,663 battles
14 hours ago, DanSilverwing said:

Ok, so this is what everybody is seeing:

https://wows-numbers.com/player/529256617,natswright/

It's very difficult to reconcile what those numbers represent with what you are saying, and I think the only way for you to objectively reflect on your experience and to have a third-party offer you constructive criticism is to look at your replays.

Maybe upload your most recent game here to the forum, or in this thread?

You've had some good games, particularly in Japanese DDs, but your average game is sub-par. 

Something else that is noteworthy is that you bought Georgia and jumped straight into Random battles with it. You haven't done any battles in co-op to test its handling, its gunnery, and its vulnerabilities. Early tier battles are quite forgiving, but as you go higher it is essential to have all the ship Upgrades (and I don't mean the modules), Premium consumables (at least Damage Control), and maybe some flags. Also if you don't have a Captain with many skill points it's also going to tell against you. Fortunately all of these issues are fixable, maybe just slow down a bit?

Thanks, I do have a few gameplay videos on youtube.com/natswright and twitch.tv/natswright. The Georga was bought for me as a gift and rather than play coop, I used it in the training room to test the guns out. i'll upload a few of the recent ranked battles I played last night, to youtube. I've extensively played the Japanese DD's with the tier 7 Shriatsuyu being my strongest DD I think.

Players
2,702 posts
21,731 battles

"There will always be some games you can't win."

"In the end, you will have to carry by yourself."

WoWs versions of football player's platitudes, but there is some truth in it.

Start using Matchmaking monitor if you aren't doing it already, to get more information about your team as well as the enemies. Don't just look at the win rates, the number of battles played can sometimes be much more revealing. There is no use in fetishizing stats, and everybody can have good days as well as bad, and I don't always look at it, but sometimes it can be just another interesting puzzle piece.

Also whatever you do, don't rely on Random team mates. Try to string together a series of low-risk moves, ideally with high reward potential but the main thing is the risk does not seem low because of an assumption about team mates doing the "right" or "logical" thing.

Never go first into a cap, especially not when there are radars about and doubly not when there is a combination of radars and carriers. This gets the more important, the higher the tier.

Also there is the "mind game" aspect. This is where people like Flamu and Flambass can come in. They sometimes drop these little thought provoking nuggets. For example, if you play openly aggressive, that is a signal. (Edit: in fact most everything you do and don't do is some sort of signal, just as in street traffic.) The enemy can perceive that as a push and start to retreat. That almost automatically makes your position worse, especially for torping where you want to be where enemies  generally sail more or less toward you, but also when pursuing with guns. Kiting away is actually an inherently strong move because it makes it easier for the kiter to hit and dodge. When what you actually want is make enemies feel safe until it's too late.

Players
1,052 posts
15,102 battles
5 hours ago, natswright said:

Game play video as promised, played ranked today, been on the winning team twice, probably 10 or more defeats. I've lost all my confidence playing this game https://youtu.be/dFh2Ntgs38M

That is quite a revealing replay (if you haven't watched it, Neighbours domination in Ranked Sprint, 3 kills, 72k damage, lost when team reached 1000 points after 14:21 duration).

On reflection, what is your opinion of that battle? If you could do it over what would you have done differently? (no naming and shaming of players, but you can use ship names).

Just to preamble though that Scharnhorst can be a problematic choice in a meta dominated by 16" armed Battleships. She's an excellent cruiser killer, she has good secondaries (but no hydro) and a good not great armour scheme. We can see consumables and flags, what kind of captain build and ship upgrades are you using?

image.thumb.png.04d90791729fa724a9186b3f25c05147.png

Just going to throw this up here as well. Your chosen flags are: (L)Juliet Whiskey Unaone; Juliet Charlie, Zulu Hotel, Zulu (R) Equal Speed Charlie London, Papa Papa, Sierra Mike, Hotel Yankee. We'll come onto this later.

Players
2,702 posts
21,731 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, natswright sagte:

defeats. I've lost all my confidence playing this game https://youtu.be/dFh2Ntgs38M

You probably already realize how much easier that game would have been if somebody on your team had capped A right at the start. Preferably the DD.

And that wholes sequence at 6:50... I'd have gone for a brawl with the [edited] behind the runway island instead of sniping at that Lyon far away. Scharnhorst is an up-close-and-personal kind of ship.

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,663 battles
1 hour ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

You probably already realize how much easier that game would have been if somebody on your team had capped A right at the start. Preferably the DD.

And that wholes sequence at 6:50... I'd have gone for a brawl with the [edited] behind the runway island instead of sniping at that Lyon far away. Scharnhorst is an up-close-and-personal kind of ship.

I did consider the brawl, but as two friendly ships had engaged the Scharnhorst, I though i'd position to take a shot at the Lyon as it was broadside on. Had the friendlys succeeded it could have been a different game!

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,663 battles
2 hours ago, DanSilverwing said:

That is quite a revealing replay (if you haven't watched it, Neighbours domination in Ranked Sprint, 3 kills, 72k damage, lost when team reached 1000 points after 14:21 duration).

On reflection, what is your opinion of that battle? If you could do it over what would you have done differently? (no naming and shaming of players, but you can use ship names).

Just to preamble though that Scharnhorst can be a problematic choice in a meta dominated by 16" armed Battleships. She's an excellent cruiser killer, she has good secondaries (but no hydro) and a good not great armour scheme. We can see consumables and flags, what kind of captain build and ship upgrades are you using?

image.thumb.png.04d90791729fa724a9186b3f25c05147.png

Just going to throw this up here as well. Your chosen flags are: (L)Juliet Whiskey Unaone; Juliet Charlie, Zulu Hotel, Zulu (R) Equal Speed Charlie London, Papa Papa, Sierra Mike, Hotel Yankee. We'll come onto this later.

I probably should have helped the Cruisers with the Scharnhorst, but I saw the Lyon as a Threat, so chose that. I Also could have used my spotter. I'll post my build and captain as soon as a get a change, bed time now!

Players
2,702 posts
21,731 battles
Vor 9 Stunden, DanSilverwing sagte:

Just to preamble though that Scharnhorst can be a problematic choice in a meta dominated by 16" armed Battleships.

Possibly, but not when the Sinopses etc are driven by this many noobs. And especially their DDs are as well. You just need to get in close enough to the islands after killing off the store-bought cruisers, play it a bit like a giant Derzki, dash out and torp them, both sides if necessary, with the usual swing-by. I find the launchers are much hardier than in my Hindenburg, which may have something to do with speccing regular Main Armaments mod 1 instead of that special spotter plane mod I have on the Hindi for Clan Battles.

Captain build is more or less the basic Flamu GK build, but using the von Jütland commander's enhanced skills. This is of course because Herr v. Jütland is detached to Scharnhorst straight off the GK. You lose a bit of secondary range, compared to the "Berserker" build, but the secondaries top out at less than 8 km no matter what you do and it's not worth it for (semi-)competitive play. Especially if you give them preference over CE, because you're then spotted all over these small maps and that is just too stressful.

Players
1,052 posts
15,102 battles
8 hours ago, natswright said:

I probably should have helped the Cruisers with the Scharnhorst, but I saw the Lyon as a Threat, so chose that. I Also could have used my spotter. I'll post my build and captain as soon as a get a change, bed time now!

Okay, hindsight is always 20/20 of course, so I'm not going to point out every little thing but instead look at your play style overall.

Preparation

In competitive pvp you have to give yourself every advantage. So use Premium Consumables. This not only gives you an extra charge of things like Repair Party but it decreases the cool down time between charges, especially Damage Control. For flags what you mainly have are economic flags, but you really need to use appropriate combat flags. Hotel Yankee and Juliet Charlie are not really appropriate. You need flags like India Delta (+20% to the amount of HP restored), India Yankee (-20% to fire duration), Mike Yankee Soxisix (+5% to secondaries range and -5% to secondaries loading time and dispersion), November Foxtrot (-5% reload time on consumables), Sierra Mike is very appropriate for Scharnhorst as it increases your capability of moving around the map to get an advantageous position. Using an appropriate captain build is also key. You don't have Priority Target as your 1st skill but you do have Superintendent as your 3rd skill. Might this be your T-61 captain?

Strategy

This one boils down to experience and knowledge. When you look at the loading screen you have to assess the strengths and weaknesses of both teams. You had 1x Colorado, 2x Scharnhorst, 1x Fiji, 1x Yorck, 1x Minsk. They had 1x Lyon, 2x Scharnhorst, 1x Indianapolis, 1x Yorck, 1x Akatsuki. Indianapolis is a Premium ship with a radar consumable, so that would become a priority target. Also with only one DD on each time taking out the enemy DD would have greatly helped, so everyone must be prepared to shoot at it whenever it is spotted with whatever is loaded.

Information

In the screenshot above you have torpedoes selected and target locked on the enemy Scharnhorst. This enabled you to see that he was slowing down behind the island, he wasn't coming forward to lumber into a torpedo spread. If you can't get guns on a target you can use this torpedo indicator to get an early indicator of which direction an enemy is going. For example when the Yorck started moving out from the island.

Knowing your role

As a Battleship you should not only expect to take damage but actually put yourself in a position where you can draw fire away from your allies. You can repair damage, your cruisers cannot. Think of your Hit Points as a resource to be spent in pursuit of victory. Unfortunately you stay behind the cruisers and let them take the hits first, and turn away from getting hit. You don't take much damage in the match, which is why you were the last one alive. It's what we might call a low-risk strategy but it means you're not having any decisive impact on the match, and with Battleships you can afford to be more aggressive (I don't mean play stupid and rush into an ambush, but you can afford to take the lead and push slowly around corners). When you do take damage the amount that is repairable is shown in grey, and you want to use Repair Parties efficiently by repairing large amounts of penetration damage. With Scharnhorst you can also use her great speed to get around the map into a flanking position to push away enemies, instead you are content to follow the herd and take attacks of opportunity. 

Also, although this is a team game, don't think in terms of "my role/their role/not my job/their job!" especially when it comes to fighting DDs. There were two occasions where you had the Akisuki clearly spotted but you went back to shooting Battleships. Battleships fight Battleships though, right? Well not always, because Scharnorst only has 12" guns and her AP is not going to do much against angled targets except superstructure hits. Luckily for you the enemy team only had the Lyon with 14" guns and the two Scharnhorsts with 12" guns, so they were not going to be able to do much to you either if you were tanking hits.

2 guns are sometimes better than 3.

Okay, I noticed this in the fight against the Yorck, which turned into a bad trade.

image.thumb.png.492d081d694b3d56135c86cc1118f777.png

This is when the Yorck starts to come around, and as you move forward your own angle against him improves. You're loading AP and looking right at him. You aim

image.thumb.png.d854154ce1a911c94fcfe66498b74fbd.png

Too far back, and although you have 6 guns loaded and pointing in the right direction you don't fire (Yorck is about to launch torpedoes). Instead you turn left to also get your rear turret on target, which takes another 5 seconds. There is a brief moment when you have all three turrets green, but you don't fire. Then the Scharnhorst in front is blocking your shot. Then the aiming reticule moves past the Scharnhorst and you don't fire. You fire at 13:57 after 10 seconds has elapsed and get a citadel hit. The Yorck behind you also takes a shot and knocks off more Hit Points and your own secondaries knock off more chunks before the fire started by your secondaries make the kill. But he's already launched the second salvo of torpedoes which will kill the Scharnhorst. Meanwhile your Fiji has managed to take out the first Scharnhorst in a devastating torpedo strike. Shooting sooner might have saved him, it might not have done, but had you pressed forward together the outcome would definitely have been different.

This reduces the enemy team to 3. Notice that the Fiji then moves south, to continue the original strategy of capping C and looping around. You don't follow him but turn around to engage the Lyon at extreme range. This is where it all goes pear shaped.

The surviving Scharnhorst has used his speed to close the distance, and using island cover has a flanking position to block egress South of C. You line up a torpedo shot but notice the lead indicator is falling due to the target speed slowing, and hold your fire. Okay. Then instead of turning to left to engage you disengage and go the other way (I thought you were instead going to go around the back to put torpedoes up his bum), but stop behind island cover and take pot shots at the Lyon (my job/their job). The Yorck dies as he sails around trying to launch torpedoes (okay, that was dumb), the Colorado goes around to have a try but gets torpedoed, then the Fiji gets gunned down too. This could have gone better if you had joined them in focusing down one threat at a time, either going left and going head on, or going round the back for flanking shots. Switching targets is rarely a good idea, you need all to keep shooting at the same target until he goes down.

With the Akisuki alive at the end there was no way you were going to win in the time you had left. Killing DDs is everyone's job, and why not start the match with some good old HE to start fires on big ships and completely wreck spotted DDs? AP is okay against DDs if you already have it loaded for fighting other targets, you'll get over-penetrating hits but he can't repair even that, but after the first shot you want to switch to HE and try to score more penetrating hits and incapacitate modules too. You proved you know how to lead your target and score hits. The problem is that you were too far back and using too much cover, so you weren't taking hits for your team and that cover also worked against you when you had nothing to shoot.

• Cool 1

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,663 battles

@DanSilverwingThanks, these are really good points and in hindsight I could have done things differently. The Yorck, I was worried about hitting the friendly, and that i'd miss the citadel on the ship, I needed to be sure of a kill, I felt shooting earlier had more risk, but then sometimes risk is needed as I had torps to finish the ship of should my guns fail to get the kill. There was a chance to save the game at the end, had I not turned away and launched my spotter. Had I charged the DD and Lyon, I could have taken them both down. I had nothing to loose!  I Understand more now and really appticiate these points!

Players
1,052 posts
15,102 battles

@natswright I think we need to go back to this:

On 7/3/2019 at 6:41 PM, 250swb said:

Being the last player on the team can be bad as well as good.

If it comes from hanging back, not taking part in the battle, and letting your team die, then it is bad. It can also make you think you are doing statistically better than you actually are because the last player often farms a bit extra damage and is valueless considering you lost anyway. 

If I were in your place I'd keep the DD's in port. A lot of players chose them because they imagine the lowest tier is the least important, cheap and cheerful, and nobody notices if they don't last long. But in truth DD's should define the battle and set up the team for success, they have to have acute awareness of the map and the objectives for the team in the battle.

Instead try sitting a little further back and play cruisers more, play as support for the whole team, make your minimap very big and look at it often. Map awareness is as important as any other skill in the game and often if your win rate isn't good it's because you aren't responding to what the map is telling you.

You were not in position to win that match against a surviving Akatsuki, no amount of last-minute heroics were going to swing it. Sorry to say the problem was that you were too often too far back and had no influence on shaping the match.

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,663 battles
21 minutes ago, DanSilverwing said:

@natswright I think we need to go back to this:

You were not in position to win that match against a surviving Akatsuki, no amount of last-minute heroics were going to swing it. Sorry to say the problem was that you were too often too far back and had no influence on shaping the match.

I understand I made mistakes, but you make it sound like I made all the mistakes and the defeat is entirely my fault. That is not the case, as a team we simply were not strong enough to win, and we lacked a few good players to carry us...

Players
2,702 posts
21,731 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, natswright sagte:

I understand I made mistakes, but you make it sound like I made all the mistakes and the defeat is entirely my fault. That is not the case

Certainly not.

However, crew resource management is part of the challenge.

Don't be shy about at least trying to tell people if you have a good move ("Somebody pls cap A, best the DD") or you might regret it later.

Confessing I am not always in the mood to do it myself either. But it does help sometimes.

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
6 hours ago, DanSilverwing said:

Edited by 250swb
Miss posted

[DK-CP]
[DK-CP]
Players
11 posts
35,698 battles

I did like overall what DanSilverwing posted but i think that it lacks in the Strategy part.

10 hours ago, DanSilverwing said:

Strategy

This one boils down to experience and knowledge. When you look at the loading screen you have to assess the strengths and weaknesses of both teams. You had 1x Colorado, 2x Scharnhorst, 1x Fiji, 1x Yorck, 1x Minsk. They had 1x Lyon, 2x Scharnhorst, 1x Indianapolis, 1x Yorck, 1x Akatsuki. Indianapolis is a Premium ship with a radar consumable, so that would become a priority target. Also with only one DD on each time taking out the enemy DD would have greatly helped, so everyone must be prepared to shoot at it whenever it is spotted with whatever is loaded. 

But there is more to this. For this ranked sprint we only have maps with domination mode with 3 caps. To win we just need to get to the 1000 points first or have more points than the enemy team when the 20m run out. No more no less. Following this, what is the easiest way to get a point advantage? Getting control of a cap, but there is a problem. There are 3 cap points and the maps are made so that both teams can easily get control of 1 cap one way or the other. And so this is where the problem of all teams begins.They do not position themselves to help the team to achieve map control.

This where i see that many players start to fail by not thinking before acting and using your Scharnhorst game to point some problems in the start strategy for your team.

- Your team went full force to C cap. The good point of this? Your team will probably take control of 1 cap point and if enemy team fight for it you will not be in a ship count disadvantage. And if your team focus fire you can overwhelm the enemy defenders.

Now to the downside. C cap has a big island in the midle and has a big island in the center of the map that can serve as cover but also can prevent from shooting into the A B caps depending of where you are. But using that island in C enemy team can easily contest the cap and to make them leave the hard cover you will have to take some risks. This did not happen and enemy indianapolis played very bad and your team took advantage of this. But A B caps now are totally free and open for the enemy team to get the control of them both and there is no one to stop them.

This is the situation at 4m of the game 406 points vs 255, 1 enemy ship killed 0 losses and both teams have 1 cap each. Looking good right? Not yet, this is domination mode and the only thing that the enemy team has to do is cap the A B caps and defend them. And in this game as in real life the defenders have the advantage.

Lets keep going. We can now see that the enemy team has splited up and now is advancing hard in the flank of your team prob realizing that every ship of your team was spoted at C and the dd is not near A.

Now you have enemy ships in the front and enemy ships in the side. And enemy team is closing in to get control of A cap. Enemy yorck makes a trade for a BB but enemy team also lost another BB. At 6m into the game 504 points vs 253, 3 enemy ship killed 1 lost.Your team has 1 cap and enemy team is in the way of getting the second cap. Even tho you have more ships time is now on the enemy team side since they can just sit back and wait for your team to take risks. We can see enemy Sharn player starting to move to take advantage of teh island that separates C cap zone from the A B caps zone to his advantage as we will see soon.

In my opinion you team has a very good chance to win the game but in between the min 7 and 8 the decisions made by you and the yorck set your team for the defeat just as DanSilverwing pointed out. But that was all due to the skill of the enemy Sharn player.

12 hours ago, DanSilverwing said:

This reduces the enemy team to 3. Notice that the Fiji then moves south, to continue the original strategy of capping C and looping around. You don't follow him but turn around to engage the Lyon at extreme range. This is where it all goes pear shaped.

The surviving Scharnhorst has used his speed to close the distance, and using island cover has a flanking position to block egress South of C. You line up a torpedo shot but notice the lead indicator is falling due to the target speed slowing, and hold your fire. Okay. Then instead of turning to left to engage you disengage and go the other way (I thought you were instead going to go around the back to put torpedoes up his bum), but stop behind island cover and take pot shots at the Lyon (my job/their job). The Yorck dies as he sails around trying to launch torpedoes (okay, that was dumb), the Colorado goes around to have a try but gets torpedoed, then the Fiji gets gunned down too. This could have gone better if you had joined them in focusing down one threat at a time, either going left and going head on, or going round the back for flanking shots. Switching targets is rarely a good idea, you need all to keep shooting at the same target until he goes down.

But even with that there is another main culprit for this defeat and that is the misnk player. He should have kept going and scouting ahead of the team since the radar cruiser was the first to be killed. And then went alone to the A cap to figth a 2 vs 1 without any help. And the result was him getting killed. He did dmg the Lyon but he did not kill it and your team needed him alive.

I kinda of deviated of the point that i wanted to make but i will try to do a short breakdown of what i want to pass on to you.

1 -  Strategy/Tactics/ Positioning  are very close related and are as important or more important than other individual skills.

2 - The simplest way in my opinion to win a 3 cap domination mode is to control 2 caps for this your team will have to split up. Yes your team firepower will be split in half but you can set a cross fire if the enemy team goes all to 1 side and they can not angle to 2 sides so they will have to choose to where they will show broadside to.

3 - The ships that are defending/ running away/ kitting away have and advantage. Many have realized that is way harder to hit an ship that is sailing away from you than one that is coming to you (will not go on detail on why). This why spliting is not a bad choice but you need to realize that you must to push into the cap that the enemy team is going for but just be there to harras them and make sure that they can not focus fire to 1 side. wherever they go they are showing broadside to an enemy ship.

4 - Avoid  fighting fair fights.Always try to have some kind of advantage be it in numbers or in ship class. Avoid to rely that the deciding factor of a duel is the individual skill.

5 - Set cross fires/ Focus fire. Always look for positions where you can get to the side of the enemy team where they are angling to your team. This will fore sure help your team since this will force those ships to move or to turn their focus to your side and with this loose some time and dpm in the processe.

6 - If your team decides to lemming train to 1 side keep the lemming train moving. If a lemming train sops all its advantages get lost, it neeeds to keep moving and focus fire. Look for isolated targets and focus them down till they are dead. The lemming train tactic is the kill all one so forget the caps for now but do not take too long....

7 - You can not trust your teammates?? Play the support role. Who never pushed in with a BB thinking that the frindly BB just behind would also come with you to later see him reversing or running away?? Keep an eye on your team mates. If you see them pushing even if you do not like it help them. Usualy you get better results than expected just because you helped them.

• Cool 1

Players
1,052 posts
15,102 battles

That Minsk...Once the Akatsuki was spotted heading West the Minsk tried to get parallel to engage with his superior guns. That bit worked. OP and the Fiji also took potshots at the Akatsuki, who took a lot more damage before disengaging and going dark. The Minsk was then pretty out of position to help the main body but could spot both A and B caps. Maybe he thought if he could spot A somebody could shoot into it to reset capture progress?

As a team what was noticeable was nobody used the communication tools available. Even one person using F3 to designate a priority target can make a difference in a match because you can then focus fire by design instead of by telepathy. Also players should not be shy about using F5 to request help when taking the initiative.

Unfortunately the team lost direction after killing the Indianapolis and capping C, no-one had a plan what to do next. No-one made a move to loop around and get a flanking position on the surviving Yorck and Scharnhorst, which as stated is what you should always try to do because those ships either ignore the flanker and take broadside hits from them, or turn towards the flanker and take broadside hits from everyone else. Ideally you, the Fiji, and the friendly Scharnhorst were well placed to speed along the C-line and loop around to D9, with the slower Colorado acting as an anvil.

Also found this older guide on the NA forums from respected Community Contributer, Little White Mouse, might be worth reading.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/

• Cool 1