You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Widar_Thule

Proposal – Improved Unique Commanders Bonuses/Talents setup

9 comments in this topic

Players
322 posts

Proposal – Improved Unique Commanders Bonuses/Talents setup

WOWS has two types of Commanders: Legendary and Unique Commanders.

Unique Commanders have a bonus/talent that applies in all types of matches (random battles, co-op, clan, operations etc.). Legendary Commanders have a bonus/talent that does not apply in clan battle matches but does apply in all other types of matches.

Legendary Commanders: Isoroku Yamamoto, Nikolay Kuznetsov, William Halsey

Unique Commanders: Quan Rong, Da Rong, Franz von Jütland, Reinhart von Jütland, Vasily Znamensky, Viktor Znamensky, Charles-Henri Honore, Jean-Jacques Honore, Bert Dunkirk, Jack Dunkirk, George Doe, John Doe and four variants of Alexander Ovechkin

This proposal concerns the Unique Commanders, NOT the Legendary Commanders.

A major disadvantage of the current setup of the Unique Commanders is that they have a fixed set of bonuses/talents. That leaves the player no choice. All Unique Commanders have bonuses/talents that makes them only suitable for one class of ship. That is highly regrettable considering that Unique Commanders can only be acquired by either investing a lot of time or real world money (golden doubloons).

The current Unique Commanders have bonuses/talents that makes them mostly suitable for assignment to Battleships and/or Cruisers. A minority of the Unique Commanders is – arguably - suited for assignment on Destroyers. Some countries have Unique Commanders with bonuses/talents that really only makes them suitable for assignment on one class of ship and none of the other classes.

Currently the typical bonuses/talents for Unique Commanders give a +14% to +50% advantage for 2x Commander Skills (3x skills for the two British Unique Commanders). Most of the Unique Commanders have a +50% bonus/talent for varying Commander Skills.

This proposal tries to address the absence of a choice in bonuses/talents choice for Unique Commanders:

-          All Unique Commanders will get a +X% bonus on the FIRST THREE skills that the PLAYER chooses to invest Skill Points in.

-          The +X% that is proposed is +50% or could alternatively be +40%.

-          When introducing the above there would be a free Unique Commander Skill reset, the reset would be for Unique Commanders only.

-          Needless to say: the current three Legendary Commanders and the standard Commanders would not be affected by this change.

For all existing Unique Commanders this would be an improvement, meaning that those bought with Golden Doubloons would not be weakened by introducing the changes proposed above.

Additional information on the Unique and Legendary Commanders can be found here:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Unique_Commanders

What do you, the players, think about this proposal? Are you happy with having NO CHOICE in the current Unique Commander bonuses/talents? Would you like to instead have A CHOICE by selecting the bonuses/talents for your Unique Commanders yourself?

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,464 posts
20,571 battles

Yay, even more power creep at the cost of balance. :Smile_facepalm:

How about no?

• Cool 3

Players
606 posts

Interesting thought process. I haven't really thought through all the implications, but I would probably say no. At the moment, you normally have to choose to use one or maybe 2 of the improved skills for an overall marginal increase in efficiency, and sometimes at the cost of using others.

Implementing this is basically a straight-up buff twice over - first you can buff the 3 (e.g. 1 each of T1, 2 and 3) skills that you find most valuable on the ship/class your training it for. Secondly you are giving scope for all 3 'buffed' skills to be used to best possible effect, rather than a marginal improvement in one or two areas.

In reality, there will just be a new 'cookie cutter' go-to build order for them.

Assuming you've ground these special captains to 19 points and then reset for a respec (and so are free to chose the optimal 3 points for the buff), it would most likely go something like this...

Torp DD's - PM>LS>TAE>rest of build

Gun DD's - PM>LS>BFT or SE>rest of build

BB's - PM>EM>SI (assuming that gives +2 consumables because you can't have half charges!? Otherwise BoS)>rest of build

CA/CL - PM>AR or EM>SI(see above, otherwise probably the other 2pt skill)

CV - IEB>IE>SE>rest of build (wouldn't even need a 19pt captain for this as these are basically first picks anyway)

And maybe a few ship specific changes. But all three skills combined buffs would give a massive boost to performance over any similarly-skilled non-unique commander. Much more than currently. Imagine full tank-build Leg mod Monty with 50% improved BoS, Halsey EM + Isoroku PM!?

I said I thought probably no. Now I know it would be no from me :Smile-_tongue:

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,659 battles

Thanks, I hate it!

• Funny 3

[BIF]
Players
380 posts
5,260 battles

I doubt this gonna happen, i wrote an idea like this months ago here :

Players
322 posts
5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Yay, even more power creep at the cost of balance. :Smile_facepalm:

How about no?

"Balance"? You have met "Balance" in WOWS? That mythical creature? You belong to the happy few indeed! Hmm.. When you meet "Balance" would you please be so kind as to introduce us all to him. I have one or two matters that I would like to discuss with "Balance".

:Smile_trollface:

On a more serious note I really do not see this upsetting any "balance", it all depends on the value of factor X. That factor X can be anything that stays more or less in line with the current Unique Commanders bonus/talent levels (14% to 50%). In other words stays inside the "baseline" factor that you have gotten used to by now for Unique Commanders and thus perceive to be "balance".

5 hours ago, Rusty_9 said:

Interesting thought process. I haven't really thought through all the implications, but I would probably say no. At the moment, you normally have to choose to use one or maybe 2 of the improved skills for an overall marginal increase in efficiency, and sometimes at the cost of using others.

Implementing this is basically a straight-up buff twice over - first you can buff the 3 (e.g. 1 each of T1, 2 and 3) skills that you find most valuable on the ship/class your training it for. Secondly you are giving scope for all 3 'buffed' skills to be used to best possible effect, rather than a marginal improvement in one or two areas.

In reality, there will just be a new 'cookie cutter' go-to build order for them.

Assuming you've ground these special captains to 19 points and then reset for a respec (and so are free to chose the optimal 3 points for the buff), it would most likely go something like this...

Torp DD's - PM>LS>TAE>rest of build

Gun DD's - PM>LS>BFT or SE>rest of build

BB's - PM>EM>SI (assuming that gives +2 consumables because you can't have half charges!? Otherwise BoS)>rest of build

CA/CL - PM>AR or EM>SI(see above, otherwise probably the other 2pt skill)

CV - IEB>IE>SE>rest of build (wouldn't even need a 19pt captain for this as these are basically first picks anyway)

And maybe a few ship specific changes. But all three skills combined buffs would give a massive boost to performance over any similarly-skilled non-unique commander. Much more than currently. Imagine full tank-build Leg mod Monty with 50% improved BoS, Halsey EM + Isoroku PM!?

I said I thought probably no. Now I know it would be no from me :Smile-_tongue:

The legendary  Commanders are not included in the proposal, they are excluded (so Isoroku Yamamoto, William Halsey and Nikolay Kuznetsov)

And like I wrote above, it all depends on the value of factor X. That factor X can be anything that stays more or less in line with the current Unique Commanders bonus/talent levels (14% to 50%).

The main thing currently is that you now have NO CHOICE, and this proposal gives you a CHOICE WHERE you want to use the Unique Commander bonus. Personally I rather have a CHOICE than NO CHOICE at all.

3 hours ago, Blixies said:

Thanks, I hate it!

If hate floats your boat, then more power to you. Tell me is your glass half full or half empty? Do you generally see problems or solutions?

:Smile_trollface:

On a serious note: why do you hate it?

And is that Mick Jagger in your profile?

• Boring 2

Players
322 posts
1 hour ago, K82J said:

I doubt this gonna happen, i wrote an idea like this months ago here :

You did not get a flat out "no" from what I read. Thanks for the link.

Players
606 posts
12 hours ago, Widar_Thule said:

The legendary  Commanders are not included in the proposal, they are excluded (so Isoroku Yamamoto, William Halsey and Nikolay Kuznetsov)

And like I wrote above, it all depends on the value of factor X. That factor X can be anything that stays more or less in line with the current Unique Commanders bonus/talent levels (14% to 50%).

The main thing currently is that you now have NO CHOICE, and this proposal gives you a CHOICE WHERE you want to use the Unique Commander bonus. Personally I rather have a CHOICE than NO CHOICE at all.

Well, yes I referenced Halsey and Isokoru - but that was only in connection with their current 'unique-commander-like' perks, not their special achievement ones so possibly a moot point.

But... this is all going to be rendered obsolete by the latest ST announcements anyway so whatever.:Smile-_tongue:

Players
322 posts
2 hours ago, Rusty_9 said:

Well, yes I referenced Halsey and Isokoru - but that was only in connection with their current 'unique-commander-like' perks, not their special achievement ones so possibly a moot point.

But... this is all going to be rendered obsolete by the latest ST announcements anyway so whatever.:Smile-_tongue:

Well I would not say obsolete. The "Naval Training Center" system is about improving ships by "re-grinding" whole ships lines up to Tier 10 several times over and has nothing to do with Unique Commanders. This topic is not about ships but about Unique Commanders.

This "Improved Unique Commander bonuses/talents setup" proposal would have far less impact on the game than the "Naval Training Center" system and would not involve "grinding" and be available to all players, for free. So at no cost in time and money. Other than the time spent to re-skill your Unique Commanders of course.