You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ollonborre

Marks of excellence/similar?

16 comments in this topic

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,174 posts
9,423 battles

In World of Tanks we have Marks of Excellences on tanks above tier 5, essentially a sort of bragging rights cosmetic feature. There are 3 steps that get progressively harder, and what is calculated into the Mark is average damage and spotting/assistance damage. So step one is to get above 50% of the population in that tank, step 2 75% and step 3 95% if I'm not mistaken.

Now could this be applied to ships and why? Well for me atleast with the current clan battle rotation, ranked season and plenty of missions most ships below tier 8 are collecting rust in my port. Having Marks of Excellence or something similar to try and achieve would give myself some form of incentive to drop down and dust off plenty of ships in my port. Playing lower tiers for fun only get me so far, as while lower tiers are fun at the higher tiers is where my money and captain XP makers make their work. So a system along these lines would give most people something to work towards and hopefully have fun in the process.

This has been brought up a while back now, and I don't see that many drawbacks to a system like this as it is purely a bragging rights tool and a sense of achievment. Limit it to tier 5 so you restrict sealclubbing and you should be golden. I should clarify that this is about individual ships, not the distinctive insignias that we already have (and are from tier 8 and up).

So what is the general consensus on this? Is it a stupid idea, any pitfalls, improvements, a good idea or just whatever?

• Cool 5

[SHAFT]
Players
11,102 posts
9,497 battles

If i dont gain anything from it, then for me personally sounds not that interesting tbh.

I play ships because i like to play them.

Not sure if thats derailing the topic, but here some thoughts:

At this point, there should be more of an incentive for me to play certain ships/tiers or even grind more ships... Even premiums are just sitting in port looking good pretty much. Got Stalingrad with the Coupon, and played it a couple of times, but in the end, i dont see any reason to keep playing it. (even if you think about like last XMas snowflake event: The more hightier ships i have, the more steel/(Coal) i get, which i can use to get ships which i most likely will not play that much)

Back when Missouri was the only reward T9 premium, it was great. I played it a lot. Now, ive almost as much Premium T9/10 ships as regular ones. I could grind a dozen T8 ships for whatever reason that is. On T9 they are mostly turds, which are inferior to the ships i already own. Why play Izumo, i have Musashi which is just plain better. Been playing Iowa because id like to get Montana, but its still not a Musashi :Smile_sceptic:

Grinding silver ships is one thing, but also playing and grinding all these Freemiums starts to get questionable. I could get Georgia or Yoshino soon... could get Azuma (but have been spending FreeXP on other stuff), but why should i? They would just sit there, and they dont give me any reason why i should play them. Ontop of that, hightiers are less fun overall....

So basicly, i like the idea, but not the specific proposal you made :Smile-_tongue:

Players
3,437 posts
1 hour ago, ollonborre said:

In World of Tanks we have Marks of Excellences on tanks above tier 5, essentially a sort of bragging rights cosmetic feature. There are 3 steps that get progressively harder, and what is calculated into the Mark is average damage and spotting/assistance damage. So step one is to get above 50% of the population in that tank, step 2 75% and step 3 95% if I'm not mistaken.

Now could this be applied to ships and why? Well for me atleast with the current clan battle rotation, ranked season and plenty of missions most ships below tier 8 are collecting rust in my port. Having Marks of Excellence or something similar to try and achieve would give myself some form of incentive to drop down and dust off plenty of ships in my port. Playing lower tiers for fun only get me so far, as while lower tiers are fun at the higher tiers is where my money and captain XP makers make their work. So a system along these lines would give most people something to work towards and hopefully have fun in the process.

This has been brought up a while back now, and I don't see that many drawbacks to a system like this as it is purely a bragging rights tool and a sense of achievment. Limit it to tier 5 so you restrict sealclubbing and you should be golden. I should clarify that this is about individual ships, not the distinctive insignias that we already have (and are from tier 8 and up).

So what is the general consensus on this? Is it a stupid idea, any pitfalls, improvements, a good idea or just whatever?

That'll upset the seal clubbers, and I say WoT goes on in WoT's should say there, people have their stats for bragging rights, we don't need anything else.

Only thing that could really be implemented from WoT's is the ability in settings to turn off the chat, and the ability to buy back sold ships for credits instead of the stupid 6 months you have to wait for in here.

• Cool 1

Players
81 posts
6,389 battles

I am not sure about Marks of Excellence but maybe some kill marks could be good on ships. For a killing certain number of a class, we can put a Kill Mark to our ships Accommodation or gun barrels

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,077 posts
11,275 battles

It's 65% for the first mark and 85% for the second.

[BAD-F]
Beta Tester
733 posts
12,716 battles

The real issue with marks of excellence is that they are given for damage done.
Not for team play, not for wining, just damage done. In WoWs capping is important, but not rewarded, you just want to add one more reason to not cap. If you die early you will for sure not get your marks.

I personally hate that badges for DDs are given for damade done over 100 battles. Where you can do 0 damage and top the score board on a win.

Maybe just make it a simpler version of LM, you play enough you get it, marks of dedication, call it?

• Cool 2

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,664 posts
10 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

Not for team play, not for wining, just damage done.

and so it is very common that you see streamers trying to three-mark a certain tank by playing against their own team...

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,011 posts
13,452 battles
52 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

and so it is very common that you see streamers trying to three-mark a certain tank by playing against their own team...

Yes, but I think that kind of behaviour is in WoWS at the moment.  I've seen so many BBs camp behind islands and not do their job in-game (I'm sure each class has it's own 'bad plays' - I hate DDs that smoke up and rely on the CA/CLs to spot for them (no longer spotting for the team)).

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
605 posts
5,064 battles

I would love to see something like marks of excellence in WoWs.

But unfortunately, I see no good way to implement it without giving a wrong incentive.

Players
606 posts
9 minutes ago, Hummus said:

But unfortunately, I see no good way to implement it without giving a wrong incentive.

Surely just based on WR after minimum of, say, 50 battles (or like the ensigns, based on performance in the last X battles)? So, mark 1 for being in top 45% by WR, mark 2 for top 30%, mark 3 for top 15% and an additional 'elite star' (unlike WoT) for top 5%?

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,174 posts
9,423 battles
8 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

So basicly, i like the idea, but not the specific proposal you made :Smile-_tongue:

1 hour ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

Not for team play, not for wining, just damage done. In WoWs capping is important, but not rewarded, you just want to add one more reason to not cap. If you die early you will for sure not get your marks.

I personally hate that badges for DDs are given for damade done over 100 battles. Where you can do 0 damage and top the score board on a win.

Maybe just make it a simpler version of LM, you play enough you get it, marks of dedication, call it?

This thought popped into my head around 10 minutes before I went to bed so I understand it is flawed. Farming pure damage should not be the make or break of something of this type (I used WoT as an example and not as the benchmark), something else should also be included to promote teamplay. Spotting damage is included in the marks of excellence in WoT so that is nice but it is still easier to get the mark by damage farming.

So what if you based the mark or insignina or whatever on some form of rating? Personal Rating as an example is not a perfect system as again you can push it up by farming damage, but to get a high PR you do need to have a combination of wins, spotting, kills, plane kills and capping so you do get an incentive that way. Want to just farm damage? Then you might not break the higher % thresholds. Want to get higher? Start playing for the win and help the team.

6 hours ago, TCG_OliveBranch said:

I am not sure about Marks of Excellence but maybe some kill marks could be good on ships. For a killing certain number of a class, we can put a Kill Mark to our ships Accommodation or gun barrels

Getting kills are the type of mission I hate in this game as it is too random and dependant on what ships are in the que. Personally not a fan because it will make people lemming towards that last ship trying to get a kill and disregarding the rest of the map.

• Cool 1

Players
10,222 posts
11,997 battles
6 hours ago, TCG_OliveBranch said:

Considering you barely see signal flags in game, rings or other badges of kill stealing prowess painted on barrels, bridge or what have you would be noticeable only in port.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,077 posts
11,275 battles
3 hours ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

No. Assisted damage (damage on your spotting and damage dealt by allies to a vehicle you have immobilised) are included in MOE.

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
10,057 battles
10 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

That'll upset the seal clubbers, and I say WoT goes on in WoT's should say there, people have their stats for bragging rights, we don't need anything else.

Only thing that could really be implemented from WoT's is the ability in settings to turn off the chat, and the ability to buy back sold ships for credits instead of the stupid 6 months you have to wait for in here.

Who's seal clubbing in high tiers? That is unless you consider that there are seals (inexperienced and suboptimally skilled players) in high tiers.

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

The problem with the Marks of Excellence in WoT is that players can play just to get the mark and not the win. It becomes a very personal thing for the player and teamwork isn't an aspect of it, just farming damage for themselves when they could perhaps be contributing more on a tactical basis. As such it's about bragging and showing they've followed the formula, not imo about being a great player. Yes some tanks are far more difficult than others to mark, as would some ships, but essentially it's an academic exercise, play long enough and throw Premium ammo at it and even below average players can three mark a tank.

Players
3,437 posts
7 hours ago, Mr_Tayto said:

Who's seal clubbing in high tiers? That is unless you consider that there are seals (inexperienced and suboptimally skilled players) in high tiers.

I was referring to low tiers, sorry