You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gustywinds

And what difference does it make? (A Smiths song for 0.8.5.1)

29 comments in this topic

Players
440 posts
5,436 battles

So the 'hotfix' is up and, as far as I can tell after 5 games it makes very little difference.

Tier 8 CVs (or un-upgraded T0s even) still get wiped out/deplaned in T9/10 games

Against lower tiers you maybe get and extra attack if you are very lucky but not a staggering change.

The only amusing one I had was a T6/8 game with Kaga where half the enemy team were either dumb or bots. The BBs all blobbed without any cruisers so I could launch torpedoes from range and guarantee hitting at least one.

The worst was my first run in Midway having just got it - totally un-upgraded but with a 17 point Captain transferred in from another ship so I had SE. Lost 86 planes, only 25k damage, minus 130k credits. Guess I park this until I can afford the upgrades from free XP /other ship's credits.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,370 posts
25,127 battles

Now, the usual WG answer for all the tier 8 ships that benefit from the fun and enaging tier 8 MM, is that you dont directly engage the tier 10s, you fight the enemy tier 8s, and you support your tier 10s.

Now valable also for CVs 

• Cool 8
  • Funny 1

[-YR-]
Players
731 posts
44 minutes ago, gustywinds said:

Guess I park this until I can afford the upgrades from free XP /other ship's credits.

Trust me it won't make much difference. Still too many CV around all ships have full AA build.

Better to park in port and wait for better times. 

• Cool 1

[YEET]
Players
69 posts
10,880 battles

Did OK in Shokaku in a T6-T8 match. In Kaga, 5 game losing streak.

Three reasons imho:

1) In 2 of those games I didn't play well

2) 4 of those games the team just melted in less than 10 min and Kaga just cannot deal enough damage quickly enough with AA changes. The game that was close, dealt plenty of damage, but the other team prevailed in the end

3) Kaga's planes are STILL dying like flies even with SE on the captain. The AA change just doesn't work for CVs with low HP planes. If I don't recall the squad after 1 attack I will lose all planes, so even Kaga's reserves will just run out.

I think Saipan owners may well be more pleased as their planes have more staying power now. 

WG where is our free respect to allow us to remove AR from our CV captains now that it is useless and what about actually having a plane heal that is worth anything?

Players
3,102 posts
17,564 battles

Not playing my tier 8 Implacable untill more buffs to CVs or MM comes its way.

Hakuruy might be tried sometime, but most likely first in training room testing slingshots. So

19 minutes ago, Alfa_Tau said:

Trust me it won't make much difference. Still too many CV around all ships have full AA build.

Better to park in port and wait for better times. 

This

• Cool 1

[-YR-]
Players
731 posts
3 minutes ago, cmdr__nik said:

I think Saipan owners may well be more pleased as their planes have more staying power now. 

Sorry but the number of planes is so little that in my opinion SAIPAN has become the WORST CV at all. 

I am still confident in WG. I know they usually react slow. But to quote Fox Mulder "I want to believe".

• Funny 2

Players
584 posts

How many more threads about CVs do we need? Why aren't they merged with the official thread already? @MrConway

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/105510-cv-rework-discussion/

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
2,712 posts
6,546 battles

these go in here:

Or atleast thats what i was told when the shoe was on the other foot.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,854 battles
13 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Or atleast thats what i was told when the shoe was on the other foot.

So your feet are so strangely shaped that you can wear the same shoe on both feet or you are such a cheapskate that you only wear one shoe at a time to save on wear and tear? Either way, you are super weird!!!

:Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

Players
3,432 posts
17,197 battles
7 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

So your feet are so strangely shaped that you can wear the same shoe on both feet or you are such a cheapskate that you only wear one shoe at a time to save on wear and tear? Either way, you are super weird!!!

:Smile_hiding:

Well , here are my dancing shoes. Specially chosen to match my dancing ability. (A Royalty free image)

image.thumb.png.ade7ec8402c068490993c094dcf695ee.png

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,564 battles
2 hours ago, gustywinds said:

Tier 8 CVs (or un-upgraded T0s even) still get wiped out/deplaned in T9/10 games

Attacking a higher tier ship even? Just get 3 other CVs to attack simultaneously and coordinated with you then the damage will naturally be spread out; even it if really just means hopping from one to the other. Dont forget that the time the target wastes dealing with your attack is the real punishment; time he could have spent doing something useful. Any ship can only do a certain number of attacks in a given timeframe, so even without any damage done you really did "counter" the target and "helped your team" just by annoying him and wasting the targets time. And it only took 4 CVs doing so!

At least that what surface ships have been told when carriers came for them; doesnt matter if its even possible in any given game ...

• Funny 3

[SCRUB]
Players
3,945 posts
19,673 battles
5 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

One simple solution,play other ships until, if ever, WG fix the damn CV's

Sounds like pre-rework talk :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

Players
584 posts
8 minutes ago, havaduck said:

Attacking a higher tier ship even? Just get 3 other CVs to attack simultaneously and coordinated with you then the damage will naturally be spread out; even it if really just means hopping from one to the other. Dont forget that the time the target wastes dealing with your attack is the real punishment; time he could have spent doing something useful. Any ship can only do a certain number of attacks in a given timeframe, so even without any damage done you really did "counter" the target and "helped your team" just by annoying him and wasting the targets time. And it only took 4 CVs doing so!

At least that what surface ships have been told when carriers came for them; doesnt matter if its even possible in any given game ...

But if your ship is attacked by multiple CVs, shouldn't the damage per bomb/rocket/torpedo decrease? Because that's how the AA defense of the attacked ships work...maybe another hotfix for it?

• Cool 4

Players
3,439 posts
1 hour ago, lup3s said:

Sounds like pre-rework talk :Smile_hiding:

Maybe so but as someone who has all the CV's in the game, they sit idly in port while I try not to smash crap up trying to figure out DD's, lol, and those are the low tier ones,. I'm slowly coming to the realisation that some classes of ships are not meant to be for some players.

• Cool 1

[GG-EZ]
Players
2,631 posts
13,528 battles
1 hour ago, NoobySkooby said:

One simple solution,play other ships until, if ever, WG fix the damn CV's

This.

Added benefit: low CV player numbers may make WG panic. According to @El2aZeR they were already at RTS level of numbers, and that was the week pre 8.5 if I'm not mistaken.

• Cool 1

Players
445 posts

The day WG actually fix anything other than making sure Russian paper super fleet is OP will never come !

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,945 posts
19,673 battles

Maybe so but as someone who has all the CV's in the game, they sit idly in port while I try not to smash crap up trying to figure out DD's, lol, and those are the low tier ones,. I'm slowly coming to the realisation that some classes of ships are not meant to be for some players.

Had all CVs apart from the GZ, Haku and Midway. Hardly played any of them since the rework - and if I do it's the Ryujo in Ops :Smile_child:

• Cool 1

Players
584 posts
35 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Had all CVs apart from the GZ, Haku and Midway. Hardly played any of them since the rework - and if I do it's the Ryujo in Ops :Smile_child:

Before the rework i had fun playing Kaga with a secondary build in ops from time to time. But with the rework WG decided to put both, my Kaga and my Saipan on T8, so no fun allowed anymore.

• Cool 1

Players
3,439 posts
1 hour ago, lup3s said:

Ops is a nice place for CV's I do admit, but after may games today in DD's and BB's,the less said the better,I won't open a new thread about such things, barnd skooby needs to lie low a little, lol

Beta Tester
158 posts
8,409 battles

"Funny" thing about the hotfix is: if you didnt pick SE nothing changed for you.

Players
440 posts
5,436 battles
6 minutes ago, Seeigel said:

"Funny" thing about the hotfix is: if you didnt pick SE nothing changed for you.

Yup. It was a lazy bodge of a fix.

I spent the gold to re-spec my Lexi captain but it made little difference.

Players
267 posts
14,161 battles
40 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Ops is a nice place for CV's I do admit...

They used to be. Not any more. Even operations are not viable for CVs any longer.

Players
10,224 posts
12,008 battles

Oh right, why is that?

The same reason CV struggle in randoms  - higher plane casualties, combined with low reserves of T6